PDA

View Full Version : Tim = MVP

TDfan2007
11-17-2008, 12:59 AM
This guy REFUSED to let us lose for the 2nd game in a row and has been carrying an EXTREMELY limited offensive squad to 3-1 without our 2 best perimeter players. Tim's always been clutch, but the way he's been carrying us in crunch time lately is bringing me back to the 2003 season. Dude is just a beast, plain and simple. Now if he could just hit his FTs... :)

btw just thought I'd point out that if KG and Tim swapped places on that last drive against Sac, KG would've hesitated then bricked a jumper instead of taking it to the hole.

btw major props to Mike and Matt as well. Those guys are really starting to come on strong.

NewJerSpur
11-17-2008, 01:06 AM
What's been even more impressive than Tim's heroic performances (especially tonight) is witnessing this team not totally folding when he's been on the bench....hell, they've even chipped away at large deficits. When he is out there the team isn't just force feeding him the ball everytime down the floor expecting him to single-handedly make up for the absence of Tony and Manu either....they are moving the ball and looking to get the best shot possible. The bench is gaining some valuable experience, confidence, and playing more as a unit.

peskypesky
11-17-2008, 01:07 AM
Tim Duncan = MVP

Tim Duncan = G.O.A.T.

duncan228
11-17-2008, 01:09 AM
He's this team's MVP for me every season.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/champion/161.jpg

T Park
11-17-2008, 01:13 AM
His missed FTs tonight I'm gonna attribute to fatigue.

Dude busted his ass out there.

When Ginobili and Parker and Mahinmi get back I'm assuming Duncan's minutes will go down and they will be able to save him for the playoffs.

IronMexican
11-17-2008, 01:14 AM
He should be receiving his 1/8 of the season MVP any day, in the mail.

m33p0
11-17-2008, 01:27 AM
This guy REFUSED to let us lose for the 2nd game in a row and has been carrying an EXTREMELY limited offensive squad to 3-1 without our 2 best perimeter players. Tim's always been clutch, but the way he's been carrying us in crunch time lately is bringing me back to the 2003 season. Dude is just a beast, plain and simple. Now if he could just hit his FTs... :)

btw just thought I'd point out that if KG and Tim swapped places on that last drive against Sac, KG would've hesitated then bricked a jumper instead of taking it to the hole.

btw major props to Mike and Matt as well. Those guys are really starting to come on strong.
my version has KD (that's Kevin Douchebag) passing it to someone else.

TDfan2007
11-17-2008, 01:33 AM
He should be receiving his 1/8 of the season MVP any day, in the mail.

well played

Obstructed_View
11-17-2008, 01:35 AM
This should pretty much end any of the discussions about Timmy not being clutch.

TDfan2007
11-17-2008, 01:46 AM
This should pretty much end any of the discussions about Timmy not being clutch.

what dumbass started that discussion?

baseline bum
11-17-2008, 01:46 AM
Every day we get to watch Tim is a good day for a Spurs fan.

honestfool84
11-17-2008, 01:53 AM
Every day we get to watch Tim is a good day for a Spurs fan.

yeah.
we need to relish these days.

soon, and yes, to soon, we will be looking back and wishing duncan still played and we were able to watch him.

cherish him while you can.

duncan228
11-17-2008, 01:59 AM
yeah.
we need to relish these days.

soon, and yes, to soon, we will be looking back and wishing duncan still played and we were able to watch him.

cherish him while you can.

I record every game. I don't like to think about it but I know all too soon those tapes will be the only way I get to watch him.

Obstructed_View
11-17-2008, 01:59 AM
what dumbass started that discussion?

I don't remember, but it happened a couple of weeks before the season started IIRC. This early season has been a nice reminder to all Spurs fans just how great Tim Duncan is and not to ever take him for granted.

thOOdee
11-17-2008, 02:09 AM
although bench has been doing ok for now. I am getting really disappointed at the job of the FO is doing by MAINTAINING EFFICIENT ROLE PLAYERS. They owe tim duncan that and its not like the players are not out there. who wouldn't want to play with the the TOP PF EVER!

NewJerSpur
11-17-2008, 02:25 AM
Check the list of FA players courted by the Spurs as far back as this past offseason. It has a lot less to do with Tim though and much more to do with other factors ($$$, role, etc.).

timtonymanu
11-17-2008, 02:34 AM
shot a three against the Suns
made a layup from a pass from Ginobili against the Sonics
shot a buzzer beater against the Nets in the Finals
shot a hard shot in 2004 against the Lakers (even if the Spurs lost)

and the list goes on and on.

Duncan is CLUTCH!

Obstructed_View
11-17-2008, 02:59 AM

Duncan is CLUTCH!

That bank shot against the Sonics was the end of a stretch where he just went to work and fouled out all of their bigs. That's why Vitaly Potapenko was covering him. That stretch closed out the series and started when Timmy twisted his ankle and the Sonics fans cheered.

m33p0
11-17-2008, 03:09 AM

Duncan is CLUTCH!
don't forget that jazz series during his rookie season where he posted up malone for the series winning basket.

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-17-2008, 03:19 AM
That bank shot against the Sonics was the end of a stretch where he just went to work and fouled out all of their bigs. That's why Vitaly Potapenko was covering him. That stretch closed out the series and started when Timmy twisted his ankle and the Sonics fans cheered.

That is near the top of my favorite TD moments. After he yelled at Pop to sit Horry down because he wasn't coming out I said out loud, "Something very bad is about to happen to the Sonics." And I was right.

wijayas
11-17-2008, 03:26 AM
I record every game. I don't like to think about it but I know all too soon those tapes will be the only way I get to watch him.

duncan228, I always believe Tim is more clutch than KG. Do we have any stat to back it up? Thanks!

duncan228
11-17-2008, 03:28 AM
That Sonics game ranks as one of my favorites too. He was simply incredible. It's said that his passing game is under-rated, I think the work he does drawing fouls is under-rated. Like O_V said, Duncan had fouled all their bigs that game before he went on to win it. He did the same thing in the Pistons game 7 that year. When the opposing bigs are in foul trouble the defense changes and the game opens up for him. His BBIQ is nothing short of brilliant, and things like that are a great example of it. It's also easily overlooked.

Obstructed_View
11-17-2008, 03:30 AM
That is near the top of my favorite TD moments. After he yelled at Pop to sit Horry down because he wasn't coming out I said out loud, "Something very bad is about to happen to the Sonics." And I was right.

Oh yeah, I saw the look on his face and the hair on my arms stood on end. I told my wife the Sonics were about to get wrecked and she said "yep". I still get amped up thinking about that. Great, now I'll never get to sleep.

Obstructed_View
11-17-2008, 03:33 AM
I think the work he does drawing fouls is under-rated.

What really makes it underrated is because he has to really make someone foul him in order to get a whistle a lot of the time, and that's exactly what he was doing that year. He just gave the refs no choice but to blow the whistle. And it doesn't always work; see last year against Shaq.

duncan228
11-17-2008, 03:37 AM
duncan228, I always believe Tim is more clutch than KG. Do we have any stat to back it up? Thanks!

The only thing I have handy is the head-to-head comparison of them. We'd have to go furthur for 'clutch', I'm too tired to do that now. :lol

http://www.basketball-reference.com/fc/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=duncati01&p2=garneke01

duncan228
11-17-2008, 03:42 AM
What really makes it underrated is because he has to really make someone foul him in order to get a whistle a lot of the time, and that's exactly what he was doing that year. He just gave the refs no choice but to blow the whistle. And it doesn't always work; see last year against Shaq.

It's working less the last 2 years. It's been said that it's because he whines too much to the refs but there's too many examples where he's obviously got a call coming that he doesn't get. I'd whine too. :lol

Let's hope he stays aggressive and plays through the frustration of no calls. When he takes that frustration out in his game good things usually happen.

wijayas
11-17-2008, 03:44 AM
The only thing I have handy is the head-to-head comparison of them. We'd have to go furthur for 'clutch', I'm too tired to do that now. :lol

http://www.basketball-reference.com/fc/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=duncati01&p2=garneke01

Wow, thanks!!!!!!!!! :toast

Obstructed_View
11-17-2008, 03:45 AM

Someone who even thinks KG belongs in the discussion needs to list KG's clutch performances, because aside from one game where he got a block on Duncan at the end, I can't think of any. Since virtually every clutch performance for the Celtics has come from Paul Pierce, and the only time KG has ever gotten to the second round of the playoffs is when he's got two other all-stars on his team so he can be a role player, I'm not sure how there's much debate. Duncan's had a relative lack of talent this season, and he's probably been the best player in the NBA in the 4th quarter. I don't recall KG taking over games at the end when he was in Minnesota. Again, if I'm wrong, someone should be able to educate me on it. Dirk Nowitzki has more big end of game performances than KG has, and many people regard him as a choker. Until proven otherwise, I'd consider a Dirk/Duncan comparison less insulting.

duncan228
11-17-2008, 03:47 AM
Wow, thanks!!!!!!!!! :toast

Happy to help. I'm known to have a few Duncan resources hanging around. :)

Fernando TD21
11-17-2008, 03:51 AM

Duncan is CLUTCH!
Check video in signature. Tim = MVP

ll
V

Obstructed_View
11-17-2008, 03:53 AM
It's working less the last 2 years. It's been said that it's because he whines too much to the refs but there's too many examples where he's obviously got a call coming that he doesn't get. I'd whine too. :lol

To be completely honest, he whines, and I hate it, but he whines a shitload less than Kobe does, and he gets fouled a lot more and goes to the line a lot less. Just look at the guys ahead of him in FTA per game. Dwight Howard has twice as many free throw attempts per game in fewer minutes. Golden State, Denver, and New Jersey each have two guys attempting more free throws than Duncan, and guys like Gerald Wallace and Danny Granger are getting to the line more. He's tied for 21st in the league in free throw attempts.

duncan228
11-17-2008, 03:56 AM
Again, if I'm wrong, someone should be able to educate me on it. Dirk Nowitzki has more big end of game performances than KG has, and many people regard him as a choker. Until proven otherwise, I'd consider a Dirk/Duncan comparison less insulting.

They'd have to educate me too. I've never understood how KG is anywhere near the conversation with Duncan. But there are plenty that seem to think he is. Especially now that he's got a ring.

Dirk's got an amazing game, but he can disappear when it matters. I guess the comparison to Dirk could be less insulting, but personally I don't think either of them are anywhere close to Duncan. And it's more than the hardware, it's the leadership, the selfless team approach, the way he's conducted himself on and off the court. Duncan is the complete package.

duncan228
11-17-2008, 04:01 AM
To be completely honest, he whines, and I hate it, but he whines a shitload less than Kobe does, and he gets fouled a lot more and goes to the line a lot less. Just look at the guys ahead of him in FTA per game. Dwight Howard has twice as many free throw attempts per game in fewer minutes. Golden State, Denver, and New Jersey each have two guys attempting more free throws than Duncan, and guys like Gerald Wallace and Danny Granger are getting to the line more. He's tied for 21st in the league in free throw attempts.

I don't like his whining either, but you just did a fine job making it crystal clear why he does. It's unfair to have that many no calls. Refs make mistakes, things are missed, but that's too far out of line to be written off. Duncan is an elite player, not a rookie, and he deserves the calls he's got coming.

Oh, I mind his whining a lot more if he doesn't get back in the game. As long as he keeps it on dead balls I deal with it better.

Obstructed_View
11-17-2008, 04:07 AM
I don't like his whining either, but you just did a fine job making it crystal clear why he does. It's unfair to have that many no calls. Refs make mistakes, things are missed, but that's too far out of line to be written off. Duncan is an elite player, not a rookie, and he deserves the calls he's got coming.

Oh, I mind his whining a lot more if he doesn't get back in the game. As long as he keeps it on dead balls I deal with it better.

He's done that one or two times this year and it's made me scream at the TV. I call him Malik when he does it. :lol

duncan228
11-17-2008, 04:09 AM
It's so nice to know I'm not the only one that screams at the TV. I swear my neighbors must think I'm nuts. :lol

Ghazi
11-17-2008, 04:15 AM

I'm not sure what KG has done to deserve even being compared to Tim Duncan. Duncan is a true big man/low post scorer, Garnett is a jump shooter. Duncan is indeed clutch, KG is not. Duncan is a true franchise player and his style is a cornerstone of championships. KG is more like a complimentary player/2nd option for a championship team.

DIrk is similar, but I consider him better than KG from the standpoint of his offensive game commanding so much attention, and regardless of what people think, Dirk is not afraid to take the big shot and can make the big shot. He can disappear for stretches, but so can KG. Neither are in the class of Duncan though.

4 > 1, and KG quite frankly looked like a role player in the Finals v the Lakers. Pierce was the reason they won.

<--- Hates KG :king

m33p0
11-17-2008, 04:25 AM
FIST PUMP! CHEST POUND! RUN OFF MOUTH!

Tim>Dirk>KD

angelbelow
11-17-2008, 05:10 AM
this is fucking awesome. keep it up timmay!

mattyc
11-17-2008, 06:04 AM
I reckon this guy has potential. He shows promise, does Duncan.

Timmy is just unreal. Fantastic man.

polandprzem
11-17-2008, 07:16 AM
It's so nice to know I'm not the only one that screams at the TV. I swear my neighbors must think I'm nuts. :lol

I'm a psycho when comes to showing emotions in that way.

:violin

:dizzy