PDA

View Full Version : McDonald:Duncan-led Spurs slip by Kings

honestfool84
11-17-2008, 01:57 AM
i didn't see this, and i've always wanted to beat duncan228 to a story. :lol

Link (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Final_Spurs_90_Kings_88.html)
SACRAMENTO, Calif. — Tim Duncan will just have to take his teammates’ word for it. The Spurs really did beat the Sacramento Kings on Sunday night.

Duncan’s layup with 15.5 seconds to go provided the winning points in a 90-88 victory at Arco Arena. Problem was, Duncan didn’t see it.

With Duncan driving to the hoop, Quincy Douby had slid over trying to draw a charge and — in a move that probably sent fans of the injury-plagued Spurs grabbing for the Maalox — sent the All-Star forward flailing to the floor just as he released the ball.

“They said it went about 90 miles an hour off the glass and went in,” Duncan said. “I couldn’t see anything.”

The silence of the home crowd — and the scoreboard — told Duncan all he needed to know.

Duncan had 20 points and Michael Finley pumped in a season-high 21 to help the Spurs overcome a double-digit deficit in the second half, as well as a near-career night from Sacramento’s John Salmons.

Just like that, the Spurs have their first winning streak of the season — two in a row, heading into tonight’s game against the 1-8 L.A. Clippers at Staples Center. The Spurs are 4-5 and have a chance to pull to .500 — without injured guards Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker, to boot.

“We’re thrilled to get out of here with a win,” Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. “It could have easily gone the other way.”

In a game that seemed an instant-classic replay of their victory over Houston two nights earlier, the Spurs fell behind in the third quarter and seemed on a crash course for defeat.

Salmons, the Kings’ best player with leading scorer Kevin  Martin sidelined, had 25 of his season-best 31 points in the first three quarters. Included in that outburst were back-to-back 3-pointers in the third that ignited a 17-6 run to put the Kings up 11 with 3:44 left.

Just as they had against the Rockets, the Spurs responded by playing some defense.

After allowing 30 points in the third quarter, the Spurs gave up just 16 in the fourth and limited Sacramento to 5 of 18 shooting.

“We have to do that in order to win,” Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. “We’re not exactly an offensive juggernaut here. Eighty-eight points is about our limit. If teams score more than that, we’re in trouble.”

Thanks to Finley, Duncan failed to lead the Spurs in scoring for the first time since Parker went out Nov. 11. Finley enjoyed his third double-digit points night in four games since an ugly 0-for-8 clank-fest against Miami.

Finley frequently bailed the Spurs out with big jumpers. Once, he channeled his 24-year-old self, rising for a highlight-reel slam dunk over Brad Miller, the Kings’ 7-footer.

“That’s a basketball play,” said the 35-year-old Finley, who was ribbed by teammates. “I can do that every now and then.”

When the game was on the line, the Spurs went to Duncan, who delivered. Taking a feed from Roger Mason Jr. on a pick-and-roll, Duncan headed to the basket, where Douby was waiting.

Afterward, Duncan said, yes, there should have been a foul called — on Douby, who he believed was in the restricted zone.

“I was hoping to hear a whistle,” Duncan said.

The Kings had two chances to win or tie.

Miller’s baseline jumper with 4.9 seconds left was no good. Duncan corralled the rebound, drew a foul — and missed both free throws.

Awarded a last gasp with 1.8 seconds to go, the Kings ran a play to spring Douby, who had missed an 18-footer that would have beaten Phoenix two nights before. He lofted a off-balance 3-pointer that drew nothing but air.

With that, the Spurs had their second straight victory, one Duncan would later have to see to believe.

duncan228
11-17-2008, 02:14 AM
Sorry, I got the earlier version of it here:

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109895&page=2

duncan228
11-17-2008, 02:20 AM
Your version has more to it though. :)

honestfool84
11-17-2008, 02:30 AM
Sorry, I got the earlier version of it here:

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109895&page=2

-_-
way to ruin my evening.

anakha
11-17-2008, 02:54 AM
Just give it up. Nothing slips by her. :lol

Obstructed_View
11-17-2008, 03:10 AM
http://www.jimmyakin.org/images/the_albino.jpg

"No one withstands The Machine..."

duncan228
11-17-2008, 03:14 AM
No one withstands The Machine...

http://www.jimmyakin.org/images/the_albino.jpg

Alright, 'babe' was okay, the pic is demeaning. :lol

Obstructed_View
11-17-2008, 03:34 AM
Alright, 'babe' was okay, the pic is demeaning. :lol

I guess you don't know the movie. The guy in the picture is the one saying it. I'll edit the post to make it more clear.

alchemist
11-17-2008, 03:35 AM

That's never good to read, Tim has to stop trying to get the whistles and play.

Obstructed_View
11-17-2008, 03:36 AM

That's never good to read, Tim has to stop trying to get the whistles and play.

Duncan hit the fucking basket, and it won the game. What more do you want? He should have gotten the free throw to put the margin at three instead of two.

alchemist
11-17-2008, 03:55 AM
it wasn't really relative to this game, I seen a lot times that he stays behind to complain to the refs while the opponent is moving towards the other side.

Obstructed_View
11-17-2008, 04:06 AM
it wasn't really relative to this game, I seen a lot times that he stays behind to complain to the refs while the opponent is moving towards the other side.

Possibly, Duncan's quote is relative to this game only, so your comment is not relevant. Tim was answering a reporter's question specifically about that play, where a guy was standing in the no-charge circle and they didn't call it. It pretty much required he make an acrobatic shot, and could have been the difference in the game. He never stopped playing, he simply answered a question about it afterward. Reporters never print what they ask a guy, only what his answer was.

Bottom line: Duncan got blatantly fucking fouled on the easiest call there is, and the refs swallowed their whistles and gave the Kings two chances to win the game on their home floor. Obviously I'm more pissed off about it than Duncan is, because I'd be getting a phone call from the league office to announce my fine tomorrow.

duncan228
11-17-2008, 04:07 AM
I guess you don't know the movie. The guy in the picture is the one saying it. I'll edit the post to make it more clear.

Makes more sense now. Haven't seen the movie in years. Loved the soundtrack.