11-17-2008, 02:13 AM
sU4HLdrWAsc

Doctor J
11-17-2008, 03:21 AM
Thanks for posting this...:toast

Obstructed_View
11-17-2008, 03:22 AM
Great vid. Horrible music.

Gervin's so mind blowing. He's putting the ball in over some great shot blockers. He can see when they're coming and just pops the ball right over them. Wow.

DieMrBond
11-17-2008, 09:01 PM
I agree, that was just a terrible choice for music - Seinfeld quotes and rap for Ice? Shame, Kblaze normally does some quality mixes with decent music (although, it is almost always Rap/Hip Hop).

Didn't really do Ice justice tho. Some nice clips however, and man - that jumpshot and finger-roll. I could watch that all day.

Spur-Addict
11-17-2008, 09:08 PM
I agree, that was just a terrible choice for music - Seinfeld quotes and rap for Ice? Shame, Kblaze normally does some quality mixes with decent music (although, it is almost always Rap/Hip Hop).

Didn't really do Ice justice tho. Some nice clips however, and man - that jumpshot and finger-roll. I could watch that all day.

?--What I heard was a song about artistic integrity, how does that not go with the Iceman?

Also, what are Gervin's music preferences?

benefactor
11-17-2008, 09:40 PM
Ice was just velvety smooth with the ball. Great highlight reel.

barbacoataco
11-17-2008, 09:43 PM
Gervin was such an offensive force. I don't think most younger fans realize just how good he was. Not only did he lead the NBA in scoring 4 times, in an era when there were some great players, but he did so with a shooting % in the .530-.540 range. For a guard that is incredible. Compare that % to Iverson, Kobe, Roy and other top guards of today. Even for a C or anyone else that % is awesome. He also put up numbers like that in many playoff series against great teams. His teams were all winners, for a long period. He was a couple years before my time, but I've seen a lot of him on tape, and for me he is the soul of the Spurs.

ShoogarBear
11-17-2008, 09:51 PM
He always could . . . finger roll.

But what really made him deadly was that little jumper from the baseline or at 10-15 feet from the elbow. He'd hit that either pulling up or curling. Guards just don't have that shot anymore.

boutons_
11-17-2008, 09:54 PM
Ice needs to hit the weight room

SenorSpur
11-17-2008, 10:47 PM
There are some great clips of the legendary Iceman. Some of the better one I've seen. I had the pleasure of watching Gervin's career from start to finish. He WAS our very first superstar. As was mentioned earlier, he was truly a singular offensive force - the likes of which rarely seen in NBA history.

An absolute scoring machine, at 6'7", he was a decent rebounder. While he wasn't a good defender, he could be decent help defender at times and was long enough to block shots. However, it was the offensive end where he made his name and established his legend. A master of shooting angles, his lithe frame allowed hiim to easily slither through tight spaces on his way to the rim or to rise up and easily get his shot off. Even though he had the range, he was not a long-ball, 3-pt shooter. While many of his shots seemed difficult to us, they were easy and routine for him. He rarely took bad shots and hardly ever got his shot blocked. For him to shoot over 50% for his career is truly incredible - especially considering the degree of difficulty of some of his shots. While not fleet o' foot, he was definitely smooth as silk. He could literally get his shots off against anyone, at anytime. Defenders were often helpless to his offensive exploits.

Over his career, Gervin became legendary for his signature shot - the finger roll. Many fans probably don't know that he was a prolific dunker early in his career, as shown in some of the footage in the video. He even participated in a few ABA dunk contests in his day. While naturally gifted, what many folks don't know is the amount of time and effort that Ice spent tirelessly working on his game. He stated in several interviews that THAT was the part of basketball that he liked best - working on his game in the offseason. He would practice a number of simple, solo shooting drills that included a variety of bank shots, jump shots, hook shots, and running run-handers (both hands). He would practice standing underneath the goal on one side of the lane, spinning the ball off the glass utilizing the proper "english". Then he'd work the other side. He would work these shots both facing the basket and with his back to the basket.

Overall, Gervin was responsible for putting San Antonio professional basketball on the map and helping to legitimatize the San Antonio franchise as a viable NBA entry, following the ABA/NBA merger. I hope all Spurs fans will take time to watch, learn and appreciate the legendary Iceman. He was and is San Antonio's very first professional basketball superstar and very first Basketball Hall of Famer.

samikeyp
11-17-2008, 11:11 PM
Nice. :tu

Biggems
11-18-2008, 01:02 AM
i loved how he used all the glass on his shots.....i mean he would consistently have it go high of the glass and somehow go in....his mastery of english and touch was amazing. He was definitely an artist.....

Fermixalot
11-18-2008, 03:19 AM
Wow. Being a younger Spurs fan (only 20) I never had the privilege of watching the Iceman, and from the various clips I've seen, I really missed out. The roll is gorgeous and the description of his shots as being silky smooth is probably as perfect as you can describe something. I'm pretty sure only one of those shots grazed the rim, its incredible.

Taco
11-18-2008, 08:53 AM
:tu

Capt Bringdown
11-18-2008, 08:58 AM
He was a couple years before my time, but I've seen a lot of him on tape, and for me he is the soul of the Spurs.

Thanks for that comment - I agree wholeheartedly.

The clip sure brought back some great memories. I don't mind sounding like an old fart on this subject. Hemisfair, Ice, Kenon, Sugar, Jimmy Si, Doug Moe, etc - what a time and place. F'n magical. I'm so glad I got to experience those days.

I love 'em all, but Ice will always be my favorite Spur.

SenorSpur
11-18-2008, 10:19 AM
Thanks for that comment - I agree wholeheartedly.

The clip sure brought back some great memories. I don't mind sounding like an old fart on this subject. Hemisfair, Ice, Kenon, Sugar, Jimmy Si, Doug Moe, etc - what a time and place. F'n magical. I'm so glad I got to experience those days.

I love 'em all, but Ice will always be my favorite Spur.

And the Hemisfair Arena will always be considered San Antonio's most famous Ice House.

SenorSpur
11-18-2008, 10:54 AM
i loved how he used all the glass on his shots.....i mean he would consistently have it go high of the glass and somehow go in....his mastery of english and touch was amazing. He was definitely an artist.....

People know Tim Duncan as the king of the bank shot, and rightfully so. The truth is Gervin was even a more prolific bank shot shooter than even Duncan. Either side of the court, either hand. Stand still or driving to the hoop. Didn't matter.

Kermit
11-18-2008, 11:45 AM
Wow. HipHop is now sampling Phil Collins's Easy Lover. Scary shit.