PDA

View Full Version : Can Duncan get the season MVP of the year?

Rapper
11-17-2008, 08:46 AM
I hope he can.

I wish he could.

If Duncan could help the spurs from the 8th seed climbs to the 2nd or 3rd seed in western conference, and thanks for the absences of Manu and Tony, I think that it's a possibility that Duncan would get the season MVP.(24+12+3)

Is it just my wishful thinking?

Bartleby
11-17-2008, 08:52 AM
Duncan should be a perennial mvp candidate but it seems too many people take what he does for granted.

mudyez
11-17-2008, 08:55 AM
yeah, and another barrier could be, that he allready has won it, while others like lebron and paul are hard pressed to win their first

and nearly every year the reason someone didnt win it is, that the team didnt finish wit a top notch place and I doubt we will be top4 in the west

he would deserve it, but there are others that are too.

MI21
11-17-2008, 08:58 AM
Timmy is still a Top 3, perhaps Top 1 player in the league, but I can't see anybody beating out LeBron for MVP this season.

Josepatches
11-17-2008, 10:12 AM
Right now he deserves the MVP more than any other player.Just take a look to our roster and we are 3-2 without Manu and Parker.

TDMVPDPOY
11-17-2008, 10:47 AM
his rebs and blocks are down this season

the trophy has lebron over it....its his to lose.....so TD will have to be godmode from here on

MarHill
11-17-2008, 10:51 AM
his rebs and blocks are down this season

the trophy has lebron over it....its his to lose.....so TD will have to be godmode from here on

Yep...unfortunately I agree.

The media is all over Lebron and Chris Paul. Don't get wrong...they are both terrific players.

But Tim would have average 20/20 for the rest of the season for him to get consideration.

SpurSupremacist
11-17-2008, 11:01 AM
I'm as big of a Duncan fan as any, but it's LeBron's to lose. Especially because Duncan's numbers will take a big hit once TP and Manu are both playing again.

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-17-2008, 12:35 PM
If Cleveland, N.O. and the Lakers all tank, then Duncan stands a chance.

dbreiden83080
11-17-2008, 12:38 PM
Nah, Tony and Manu will come back and his numbers will go down. even if he carried the Spurs to a playoff spot by himself they might not give it to him..

I. Hustle
11-17-2008, 12:45 PM
I bet Manu get's it

duncan228
11-17-2008, 12:50 PM
I'd love to see him get another but those days are gone.

My hope is to see him raise another Final's MVP.

J.T.
11-17-2008, 12:58 PM
My hope is to see him raise another Final's MVP.

If we win another Finals this year there is no doubt the MVP honors are going to Matt Bonner with close consideration going to Jacque Vaughn and Michael Finley too.

It's been long enough since Tim Duncan won a league MVP, and since those years his "stats" have gone down a bit from when he dominated his way to two MVPs. So I think couple that with the fact that the league forgets about Tim Duncan because he plays in San Antonio and he's got a decent shot at winning it again. If Parker and Ginobili come back and the Spurs are on top of the division by a few games don't think people won't be talking MVP for Tim Duncan.

Just like Kurt Warner in the NFL right now is getting some MVP talk even though his last MVP was in 1999.

SpursFanFirst
11-17-2008, 01:03 PM
are you kidding? The league is too busy making eyes at LeBron to even see anyone else.

Rummpd
11-17-2008, 01:45 PM
Yes but he won't.

He (or Shaq) have been the real MVPs of the entire last decade (as shown by their handful of finals MVPs and Duncan should be in running this year.

MVP is a joke most years.

MrChug
11-17-2008, 05:33 PM
This question comes up every year. I think when we stop asking it is when we need to worry.

Brazil
11-17-2008, 07:21 PM
I hope he can.

Is it just my wishful thinking?

Yes unfortunately

timvp
11-17-2008, 07:28 PM
Can Duncan get the season MVP of the year?Hopefully not. That'd mean he carried the Spurs all season. Hopefully he can start deferring once the team is healthy and save energy for the playoffs.

timaios
11-17-2008, 07:37 PM
Fuck the season MVP...
Duncan MVP of the 2009 Finals.

HarlemHeat37
11-17-2008, 09:12 PM
finals MVP is the key here, and that's all I care about..more importantly, that's probably Tim's focus as well, as it should be..

duncan228
11-17-2008, 09:17 PM
finals MVP is the key here, and that's all I care about..more importantly, that's probably Tim's focus as well, as it should be..

I want him to get another Final's MVP too but I would bet Duncan's focus is on the Championship trophy, not the individual award. He's never been about himself.

Actually, I'm sure his focus is winning one game at a time at the moment, the end goal being the Title.

tp2021
11-17-2008, 09:18 PM
I'd like Manu to get one, and for Timmy to get one more.

HarlemHeat37
11-17-2008, 09:21 PM
I want him to get another Final's MVP too but I would bet Duncan's focus is on the Championship trophy, not the individual award. He's never been about himself.

Actually, I'm sure his focus is winning one game at a time at the moment, the end goal being the Title.

ya obviously, I meant it as the title..

ShoogarBear
11-17-2008, 11:21 PM
Duncan winning the regular season MVP would be a bad thing. It would mean that he had to amass huge stats because he didn't have help.

Rapper
11-18-2008, 04:20 AM
Come on man, to be honest.

Don't you guys think that regular season MVP is a big honor to a player?

Why do you guys love the spurs? because the spurs is a good team and won several titles as well as "honor"

Some people mentioned and said that Duncan should focus on the playoffs and finals MVP whatsoever, but in case the spurs can't win the championship this year, i strongly think that season MVP is the only one thing for Duncan to chase for himself and the spurs fans.

KidCongo
11-18-2008, 04:41 AM
LeBron if Cavs win 50+ (of course depending how many wins the Lakeshow gets).

They should give TD DPOY.

angelbelow
11-18-2008, 05:35 AM
LeBron if Cavs win 50+ (of course depending how many wins the Lakeshow gets).

They should give TD DPOY.

they should since its long overdue, i dont even care if he doesnt deserve it THIS season, give it to him anyway :hat

Slomo
11-18-2008, 05:44 AM
Hopefully not. That'd mean he carried the Spurs all season. Hopefully he can start deferring once the team is healthy and save energy for the playoffs.

Duncan winning the regular season MVP would be a bad thing. It would mean that he had to amass huge stats because he didn't have help.

Agree 100%.

mrspurs
11-18-2008, 07:39 AM
I dont want Timmy getting any kind of trophy but the championship trophy. He needs some rest. Noway will Timmy continue and be a force in the POs at this current pace. And I for one do not want to see the same Timmy in the POs as last season. The way he started off this season is the way he should be playing in the POs. Teams will start turning it up a notch or two come PO time like always. I dont think Timmy has another gear in him. I think hes playing full force right now to keep us above water. If Timmy runs out of gas again, we dont play very well.

wijayas
11-18-2008, 08:08 AM
Timmy is still a Top 3, perhaps Top 1 player in the league, but I can't see anybody beating out LeBron for MVP this season.

If the Cavs has the best winning percentage, yes. LeBron will be MVP.
If not, LeBron can wait.
It is no longer important for TD to win MVP. He got it twice in a row!
The most important stuff for TD right now is to stay healthy, and if possible play as little minutes as the game allows him to stay healthy.

TMTTRIO
11-18-2008, 09:53 AM
Individual awards are kind of stupid. I'd rather Tim keep playing like he is and lead us to another championship this year. One thing for sure is he's been awesome this year.

1Parker1
11-18-2008, 10:08 AM
:lol I don't know about MVP, but his reputation as a clutch player is really shining through these days...

peskypesky
11-18-2008, 11:13 AM
Individual awards are kind of stupid. I'd rather Tim keep playing like he is and lead us to another championship this year. One thing for sure is he's been awesome this year.

Yeah, the MVP award in particular is pretty suspect. As much as I've had my problems with him, it's absurd that Shaquille O'Neal only has ONE.

duncan228
11-18-2008, 01:07 PM
Come on man, to be honest.

Don't you guys think that regular season MVP is a big honor to a player?

Why do you guys love the spurs? because the spurs is a good team and won several titles as well as "honor"

Some people mentioned and said that Duncan should focus on the playoffs and finals MVP whatsoever, but in case the spurs can't win the championship this year, i strongly think that season MVP is the only one thing for Duncan to chase for himself and the spurs fans.

The only thing Duncan "chases" are wins and Championships. He's never shown us anything that would make it seem like he's out for individual awards or "honor".

It does feel good when the top dog on your team gets the MVP. Duncan has done it, and he's one of only a handful that did it back-to-back. I'm the biggest Duncan homer on this site, I'd like nothing more than for him to rack up MVP's, DPOY's (I really would have liked him to have had one on his resume), and Championships the rest of his career. But realistically, the focus now are the Titles. He's a team player and that's the team goal. There's no "in case they can't win", they play for that Title until they win it or get knocked out.

And, like others have said, if he maintains this pace it's not going to bode well for us in the Spring. We need him at his best then, without Duncan at his best in the Playoffs a Championship will be hard to win.

HarlemHeat37
11-18-2008, 01:09 PM
I do want Duncan to get the DPOY though..if our defense can continue like this and Tim gets his blocking numbers where they usually are, maybe he'll finally get one, since he already deserves 2..

J.T.
11-18-2008, 01:14 PM
Manu has a better shot at Finals MVP than league MVP... come on people the league isn't going to give Ginobili the NBA MVP even if he averages a 95-76-38-29 line for every game he plays in as long as Kobe Bryant and LeBron James' teams make the playoffs with high seeds in their conferences.

ShoogarBear
11-18-2008, 11:00 PM
If the Cavs has the best winning percentage, yes. LeBron will be MVP.

That will be worth it just to hear the spluttering from Yuma.