PDA

View Full Version : Citigroup to cut another 53,000 jobs

Phil E.Buster
11-17-2008, 09:47 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081117/ap_on_bi_ge/citigroup_jobs

NEW YORK – Citigroup Inc. is cutting approximately 53,000 more jobs in the coming quarters as the banking giant struggles to steady itself after suffering massive losses from deteriorating debt.

The plans, posted on the company's Web site, are being discussed by CEO Vikram Pandit at the company's town hall meeting in New York Monday with employees.

The company said total headcount is being reduced by 20 percent from its peak of 375,000 at the end of 2007; the company had already announced in October that it was eliminating about 22,000 jobs from those levels.

The New York-based bank has posted four straight quarterly losses, including a loss of $2.8 billion during the third quarter.

Shortly before the town hall meeting in New York, Citigroup Chairman Win Bischoff said at a business forum in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, that it would be irresponsible for Citi and other companies not to look at staffing in the event of a prolonged economic downturn.

boutons_
11-17-2008, 10:32 AM
Quick, Paulsen, send $50B to Citi (but keep the amount and recipient secret).

Bender
11-17-2008, 02:20 PM
they may be hurting for money. I forgot to pay $47 in Sept on a citibank account, and they called me at home several times a day, 7 days a week, for a couple of weeks. I picked up the phone on one of the earliest calls, listened to the recording, and said to myself, ok I need to add this to my October payment. They still called 3 or 4 times a day for 2 more weeks about the same thing, so I just ignored it. Finally, I got a call at work, and yep... Citibank... a human... I said Look I'm adding the stupid $47 to my next payment", and the lady said "ok, thank you..."

jeez, $47...

SnakeBoy
11-18-2008, 12:38 PM
jeez, $47...

So what was the late charge..$50?