PDA

View Full Version : The Official Show some Love to Jacque Vaughn

MoSpur
11-17-2008, 10:38 AM
Dude played good last night. I actually wanted him in the game last night when it was close. He stepped up and filled in pretty good.

MarHill
11-17-2008, 10:42 AM
I agree Mo Spur. So many have posted how terrible this guy is....but he's a solid pro who understand his limitations. He knows how to run the offense (Tim commented on that after the game last night).

Get the man credit when he plays well.

K-State Spur
11-17-2008, 10:54 AM
He has been EXACTLY what the Spurs asked him to be when they signed him. A 3rd stringer who provides a steady hand and insurance policy if one of the top 2 gets hurt or falls in love with breakfast burritos.

T Park
11-17-2008, 11:05 AM
I laugh at the people who want to just dump the guy. He's great at what he is, a third string point guard who can step up when needed.

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-17-2008, 11:11 AM
Vaughn is the best 3rd string PG in the league, I wouldn't want any other, especially Starbury, he's got Van Exel written all over.

Credit to Vaughn.

Bender
11-17-2008, 11:16 AM
I predict this will be a short thread.

MarCowMar
11-17-2008, 11:20 AM
Go Jacque! Here's to a future where you are no longer included in forum threads suggesting trading Matt Bonner and yourself for <some All Star or rookie wonder>.

Brazil
11-17-2008, 11:23 AM
Props to him he made a very good game. Therefore it's one good game and one decent game since the beginning of the season... well.

mrspurs
11-17-2008, 11:33 AM
So now we're saying....Keep Jacque and dont bring in Starberry? I think I can live with that. Regardless of how Jacques plays. He knows the system and like yall said. In a close game against a weaker opponent. Jacque isnt such a bad choice to have on the court while Manu and TP are injured. Starberry wouldnt have helped last night. He would have been next to Hill. Rememer this was the Queens. And its easy to see Pop is not gonna tank, he's gonna win the games we're supposed to regardless if the team shows up or not. And thats a great sign.....It does the rooks some good.

MoSpur
11-17-2008, 11:37 AM
I didn't say I wouldn't want Stephon Marbury, but I am showing some love to the guy for stepping up last night.

TJastal
11-17-2008, 11:49 AM
Bringing in Starbury would destroy what is left of Vaughn's confidence, and probably crush Hill's too. You can see Vaughn's confidence rising each game, even though I think he tries to do a little too much sometimes. I'd rather roll the dice with Vaughn as the backup.

That said, I don't really understand why they signed another PG yesterday, and waived Farmer, IMO Farmer showed he can hang with other NBA talent, and is a good energy guy to have on the bench.

YoMamaIsCallin
11-17-2008, 11:55 AM
Notice that Pop didn't play Hill much at all in the 4th (if at all -- I don't remember him being in). Hill was just having a rookie bad game. It's tough for a rookie to be consistent every night.

Mason ran the point until crunch time, then Jacques came in and did a really nice job.

byrontx
11-17-2008, 12:56 PM
Jacque to it to the basket, something that's been missing in the other games.

Flux451
11-17-2008, 01:02 PM
Vaughn had good patience and great movement with the ball. He drove a lot which is what we need. Hill will learn that soon. I noticed when Mason took over things kind of slowed down. Mason drove and scored a couple crucial baskets though.

Vaughn thanks for the leadership and a win.

duncan228
11-17-2008, 02:07 PM
Duncan on Vaughn last night.

He has a calming effect on us. You know he is in control and has control of the offense. He understands what we want to run and what calls are made on both offense and defense. He is the ultimate professional. He always comes ready to play no matter what the situation is.

lurker23
11-17-2008, 02:21 PM
Vaughn showed why he's on the roster last night. Even if Tony had been healthy, Vaughn would have gotten some minutes because Hill wasn't playing up to his capabilities. The only major flaw I continue to see from Vaughn is that he takes too many long jumpers, which he has relatively limited skill at making. Other than that, he provides a very steady leadership role on the court, and knows what it takes to get things done.

Oh, and Sequ, who said that Vaughn has absolutely zero he can mentor Hill on when it comes to on-the-court play, seriously needs to watch or re-watch this game. Hill was not nearly aggressive enough with the ball, and that's why he was benched. Vaughn, on the other hand, was extremely aggressive, got into the lane, and got layups. No doubt Hill has more offensive skill, but he needs to use last night's game from Vaughn as a serious lesson on what the Spurs offense needs at times.

byrdman31
11-17-2008, 02:34 PM
dont like his style of play but the guy pulled off a great game last night... only one that was attacking the basket aggressively

Tully365
11-17-2008, 03:08 PM
Last year, the Spurs lost out on home court advantage because of a one game difference with the Lakers and a tie-breaker with the Hornets. A similar situation could easily occur this year. If the Spurs grab the #4 spot (meaning home court in round one) at the end of the season by a single game, we'll all be able to point to this game and say that Vaughn's good play in one crucial game paid off nicely. I would say that, generally speaking, most teams don't expect to win games based on the play of their 3rd string PG.

The Truth #6
11-17-2008, 03:19 PM
How can one single game be "the" game we would point to? Each game has reasons we win or lose.

JV stepped up his game the best he could while Hill failed to show consistency so good for him.

(I still don't know why we signed Ahearn. We have Hill, JV, and Mason to run the point, as shown last night. Shooting from the wing and rebounding from the post are much greater needs, but that's another conversation.)

Tully365
11-17-2008, 03:36 PM
How can one single game be "the" game we would point to? Each game has reasons we win or lose.

JV stepped up his game the best he could while Hill failed to show consistency so good for him.

(I still don't know why we signed Ahearn. We have Hill, JV, and Mason to run the point, as shown last night. Shooting from the wing and rebounding from the post are much greater needs, but that's another conversation.)

I agree with you-- my point is just that some teams don't even have a 3rd string PG.... so if we can point to one game where our 3rd stringer was actually instrumental in a win, that's kind of a rare moment.

I don't totally get the Ahearn move either-- though it's possible that this move is positioning the team for another move... hard to say. His 3 pt and FT shooting accuracy is unbelievable, so it could be another example of spreading the floor for Duncan. He'll be valuable for end-of-the-quarter scenarios... maybe Pop just wasn't impressed with Farmer's attitude and felt a need to get rid of him... hard to say.

Manufan909
11-17-2008, 05:35 PM
He has been EXACTLY what the Spurs asked him to be when they signed him. A 3rd stringer who provides a steady hand and insurance policy if one of the top 2 gets hurt or falls in love with breakfast burritos.

So what's the deal with Beno and breakfast tacos/burritos??? he get chunky off them, or what?

m33p0
11-17-2008, 09:02 PM
so long as he remembers that he's a back up's back up and not a shooting guard. :tu