PDA

View Full Version : Buzz loud as deal deadline nears

Kori Ellis
02-21-2005, 08:16 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/cs-0502210151feb21,1,1095671.column?coll=cs-basketball-print&ctrack=1&cset=true

Sam Smith
Feb 21, 2005

DENVER -- All-Star Game, Shmall-Star Game. The NBA trading deadline is Thursday, which means I'll have to pay attention to basketball games after this week. It doesn't seem like there are any blockbusters coming, or as Michael Jordan would tell us, he's 99.9 percent sure of that.

Although Jason Kidd made a bunch of noise last week about being traded to Minnesota, it seems unlikely because New Jersey looks pretty good next season with Kidd and Richard Jefferson back. The Nets' acquisition of Cliff Robinson could help them win the Titanic, er, Atlantic Division.

Allen Iverson has taken back his supposed trade request of the month, though there are some big names floating around with some uncertainty, like Boston's Paul Pierce, Sacramento's Peja Stojakovic, Milwaukee's Michael Redd and, no, not the Bulls' Eddy Curry.

But there was some interesting buzz here with word that Curry is not too happy with his rotation and playing time and might make a fuss about re-signing to play for Scott Skiles. And with Skiles' option for next season not picked up yet.

Bulls general manager John Paxson continues to say Skiles will be the team's coach for a long time, and the way they're playing, there's no reason not to believe him. And Curry has given no indication to the Bulls he's upset with his situation.

This week should be a major indicator for the Bulls with Shaquille O'Neal and the Eastern Conference-leading Miami Heat at the United Center on Tuesday. Then the Bulls visit LeBron James' Cavaliers on Wednesday.

The word among the Cavs' types is they're more concerned now with holding off the Bulls than trying to catch Central Division-leading Detroit. The Pistons have found themselves after a 12-12 start and are 32-19, better than their All-Star break record last season, though they added Rasheed Wallace after the break.

So, yes, it is shaping up as a Heat-Pistons conference finals, but perhaps the Bulls can steal a player this week and make a run into the second round. Their needs are a shooting guard and a big-time scorer who can close a game or carry a team in a tough quarter.

No, you don't get those kinds of players cheaply, but there are special cases--like when a player has a few months left on his contract and doesn't appear he'll re-sign. Like Portland's Shareef Abdur-Rahim.

The Bulls aren't trading Curry or Tyson Chandler or Ben Gordon or Luol Deng, but would it be worth a run at Abdur-Rahim and give them a leg up on re-signing him by dangling Antonio Davis and Andres Nocioni? Why not shoot high? The Trail Blazers might go for a sweetener like Nocioni to take Davis for an extra season.

Donyell Marshall's contract is expiring, and the Bulls really gave him up only to get rid of Jalen Rose. Toronto wants Marshall out, and perhaps it would take some of the Bulls' extras and a second-round pick. The Bulls supposedly have inquired. They supposedly inquired about players like Robinson and Elden Campbell before they were moved.

Atlanta is trying to move Antoine Walker. Would coming home for a few months calm him down and be worth someone like Nocioni again added to Davis?

The East remains wide open, and there are plenty of games left to make a big move.

With a few days to the trading deadline, here's a look at how teams are thinking:

•Atlanta. Wants to move Walker and get something, but insiders believe the Hawks made a mistake on Al Harrington and that relationship also could end.

•Boston. Still holding out for a No. 1 draft pick for Gary Payton, who'll leave after this season. The Celtics have a chance to win the Atlantic Division, but the future is where they have their eye. They're still trying for Seattle rookie big man Robert Swift, and word is they'll move Pierce, perhaps this summer. Pierce said he doubts he's part of management's vision.

•Charlotte. Steve Smith asked not to be traded.

•Cleveland. Desperate for a perimeter shooter and will make one last bid for Milwaukee's Redd, a free agent. Also trying to unload DeSagana Diop and Dujuan Wagner, though the latter is probably out for the season.

•Dallas. Perhaps a shot at Payton because it still doesn't have a point guard.

•Denver. Another team looking for Redd, perhaps for Nene. Also trying to dump Nikoloz Tskitishvili.

•Detroit. Satisfied with its move for Carlos Arroyo.

•Golden State. Still trying to deal Dale Davis, on his last season but at $10 million. Would like to dump Derek Fisher's long-term deal, and after commitments to Jason Richardson and Troy Murphy, the Warriors aren't going to pay big money for Mike Dunleavy. He could be gone this summer.

•Houston. Has turned it around by adding speed in Bob Sura--one of 10 NBA players averaging double figures in scoring with more than five rebounds and five assists--and Jon Barry. After starting 6-11, the Rockets are the West's hottest team. Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming both are averaging 20 points in their winning streak, and Juwan Howard has four double-doubles in the last six games.

•Indiana. With all the injuries to Jamaal Tinsley, perhaps a shot at Payton and another veteran to make a late run. There's still talk of a Ron Artest deal to Memphis, Atlanta or New York, though the Pacers deny it.

•Clippers. Amazing point guard problems with Marko Jaric and Shaun Livingston hurt again and perhaps out for the season. They're now concerned Livingston's fragile body cannot handle the NBA. Talk of a return home for native Baron Davis, whom the Hornets sent back to L.A. to do his rehab.

•Lakers. Talk this weekend of a Stojakovic and Bobby Jackson swap for Lamar Odom, who doesn't fit well with Kobe Bryant. Lakers want a shooter to pair with Bryant.

•Memphis. Among the Redd suitors. Has long been trying to deal Bonzi Wells and Lorenzen Wright.

•Miami. Looks like Alonzo Mourning is coming on board this week but still has talked about dealing Eddie Jones. Also has had an eye on Damon Stoudamire, in his final season, to spread the court better.

•Milwaukee. Big week to decide on unrestricted free agent Redd. Also concerned about future of Keith Van Horn and could deal him. But it's tough digging out from the mess George Karl left.

•Minnesota. The talk is coaching is Kevin McHale's exit strategy after this season now that the franchise is whole with its draft picks back from the Joe Smith fiasco. Would like Kidd and might take Payton. Wants to deal Latrell Sprewell, Sam Cassell, Michael Olowokandi, Troy Hudson and Wally Szczerbiak.

•New Jersey. The Nets could be pretty good next season if they keep Kidd. So they should, but he can make himself difficult.

•New Orleans. Dan Dickau, another shaggy-haired guard in the Kirk Hinrich/Luke Ridnour mold, is looking good, having averaged 19 points in a recent 12-game stretch, which makes Baron Davis very expendable. The Hornets will listen for any of their veterans, including P.J. Brown.

•New York. Anyone, please take Allan Houston or Penny Hardaway. General manager Isiah Thomas recently had to prevent a fight between Kurt Thomas and Stephon Marbury, bitter internal rivals. The Knicks talked with Sacramento about Chris Webber and with Toronto about Rose and Marshall, but the contracts may be too much with their huge payroll.

•Orlando. Trying to peddle DeShawn Stevenson and Pat Garrity. Looking for more defense.

•Philadelphia. Iverson says he's staying. The 76ers have talked with Toronto about Marshall with the possibility of moving Samuel Dalembert. A plea from Iverson's camp about a trade is a message to the team to make a deal.

•Phoenix. Everything's going the Suns' way, but with all the money they've put out, they don't figure to re-sign Joe Johnson, a shooter several teams are eyeing as a free agent. He could be dealt.

•Portland. Most likely will deal Abdur-Rahim and Nick Van Exel if it can get something without taking too much long-term money. Otherwise, will just save the salaries and move on. Also, looking to unload Derek Anderson with rumors of a swap with Minnesota involving Darius Miles and Szczerbiak.

•Sacramento. Pretty close to making some major moves with Stojakovic, Webber and Jackson being named as trade bait.

•San Antonio. Still looks like league's best, and even with good play of late, it still wants to move Malik Rose's contract. Would take Marshall. The Spurs' international additions continue to amaze. Nobody knows that part of the game better.

•Seattle. Until it knows what's up with free-agent Ray Allen, the Sonics are limited in what they want to do. Will see if Boston can come up with something creative for them for Swift and could deal Vladimir Radmanovic given his pending free agency.

•Toronto. Most likely to deal. Trying to pair Rose with Marshall like the Bulls did, but also looking to move Eric Williams and Aaron Williams and reshape team in image of coach Sam Mitchell, whatever that is.

•Utah. Plenty of buzz about dealing disappointing--to them--Carlos Boozer, perhaps to Lakers. The talk includes a package of Caron Butler, Luke Walton and Slava Medvedenko for Boozer. With failing fortunes, the Jazz is said to be committed to dealing off big contracts.

•Washington. You wonder about Etan Thomas and Brendan Haywood with the Wizards' defense and whether they can get better.

The quote

Pacers President Larry Bird issued a last warning to Reggie Miller about retiring, recalling how Pete Maravich and Dave Cowens retired before the Celtics won the 1981 Finals.

"Reggie needs to get another opportunity to win a championship," Bird said. "He had one [when the Pacers reached the Finals in 2000], and he knows what it's about now. He's not the player he was, but give him another opportunity. Give him a chance to play for the big one. I couldn't believe [Maravich and Cowens in 1980] quit. We had a good team. I was like, `Why would you do something like that?' That could happen here."

usckk
02-21-2005, 08:19 PM
Can't believe the Spurs are still shopping Malik? The Spurs cannot survive in the west with Malik. He our only legitimate player than can rebound. I say trade him in the offseason, but until then, we need him since we have nobody else.

ducks
02-21-2005, 08:23 PM
The Spurs' international additions continue to amaze. Nobody knows that part of the game better!!!!!!!!

SequSpur
02-21-2005, 08:33 PM
The Spurs have a great backcourt. There front court consists of one man, Tim Duncan. That's a problem.

usckk
02-21-2005, 08:34 PM
The good thing is that our main competitors play small.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-21-2005, 09:19 PM
Geez, Marshall would be great for us. Pretty please....

exstatic
02-21-2005, 09:44 PM
Marshal would be sweet, but don't count on it. He could be paired up front with Tim on D, as he can block a few shots shots and rebound. He can also space the floor on O with the 3ball.

Toronto is in disassembly mode, and to get Marshall, you have to take Jalen Rose's shitty two remaining years. I would think that at a minimum, you would have to give up Malik AND some of our overseas talent, if not Beno, to get him straight up, all for just a 29 game rental. Doesn't seem worth it.

ALVAREZ6
02-21-2005, 09:58 PM
The Spurs have a great backcourt. There front court consists of one man, Tim Duncan. That's a problem.
I agree, we need another big man that can be effective.

I would like to get ride of Rose and Mass for a decent big man.

SequSpur
02-21-2005, 09:58 PM
PJ Brown?

ALVAREZ6
02-21-2005, 09:59 PM
PJ Brown?
Actually, I wouldn't mind a guy who could help us in the run to win the finals.

I'm only concerned about facing Shaq in the finals.

But we will be fine with Scola coming off the bench to bring a little offense from a big man.

ALVAREZ6
02-21-2005, 10:03 PM
I wouldn't mind having Curry. He averages 15 ppg and he can play D.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-21-2005, 10:05 PM
Toronto wants someone to take Jalen off their hands, but no one is going to.

So basically what it's going to come down to as Thursday approaches is getting something for Marshall, or watching him walk this summer for nothing.

SequSpur
02-21-2005, 10:07 PM
Scola hasn't even played in the NBA and now you are assuming that he is going to get playoff time in the NBA?

WTF?

This is what I am sick of, foreigners who haven't done shit in the NBA. Beno, Rasho, Scola, WTF? lets just sign all of the foreigners since they are so great. Damn, there's got to be a 7 footer from bum fuck egypt to sign for the minimum right now and relieve Rasho from the duties of being a center.......

WTF....... we are talking about this playoffs, the Spurs need to counter, the Heat, Pistons, Rockets and Pacers. Those teams are going to destroy the Spurs down low.

1Parker1
02-21-2005, 10:11 PM
Why do people continue wanting to trade Malik? Aside from that one game this season (the one where he pulled the jersey over his head) his overall play has been great. He is a great difference maker off the bench and with him and Horry we should be fine. The only Spurs that I would like to see get traded would be maybe Rasho (SORRY ANGEL!) although I doubt we could get a good 7 foot center in return and combine him with Mass.

If Pop learns how to separate his personal feelings from his coaching and if Malik learns to stay strong minded and focused, you can book it that he will be the difference maker in this year's championship run for the Spurs. Mark my words! :)

ALVAREZ6
02-21-2005, 10:12 PM
Scola hasn't even played in the NBA and now you are assuming that he is going to get playoff time in the NBA?

WTF?

You never know. It might take him a couple of years to get used to it and become an effective player, you just don't know.
Manu was a late 2nd round pick Sequ, and now he's an all-star...not many of cases like that, so STFU.

WTF....... we are talking about this playoffs, the Spurs need to counter, the Heat, Pistons, Rockets and Pacers. Those teams are going to destroy the Spurs down low.
That's what I've been saying, we need another big man to either stop Shaq, or the double wallace's from Detroit.

SequSpur
02-21-2005, 10:14 PM
Why do people continue wanting to trade Malik? Aside from that one game this season (the one where he pulled the jersey over his head) his overall play has been great. He is a great difference maker off the bench and with him and Horry we should be fine. The only Spurs that I would like to see get traded would be maybe Rasho (SORRY ANGEL!) although I doubt we could get a good 7 foot center in return and combine him with Mass.

If Pop learns how to separate his personal feelings from his coaching and if Malik learns to stay strong minded and focused, you can book it that he will be the difference maker in this year's championship run for the Spurs. Mark my words! :)

Because Shaq shot 99.9% in the .4 sweep of the Spurs. The Spurs need help and Malik is to short.

Rasho, Malik, Barry, Beno, package a few of these guys and get a big man.

1Parker1
02-21-2005, 10:41 PM
Package any combo of those players (other than Rasho) and you lose serious scoring options. Spurs lost last year, not because of .4. They lost because they couldn't make their shots. That is something Beno, Barry, AND Malik can help with. On the plus side, Malik can seriously help with rebounding and hasn't he played Shaq well in the past? I think if the Spurs need to trade anyone, it would be Rasho, combine him with a package of Mass for a big man.

SequSpur
02-21-2005, 10:43 PM
Shaq would destroy Malik in the playoffs.

1Parker1
02-21-2005, 10:44 PM
^^^Well most likely, we will be facing Detriot in the finals. :)

exstatic
02-21-2005, 10:45 PM
The Spurs need help and Malik is to short.
Right. Death to short people. They're expendable.

Dre_7
02-21-2005, 10:46 PM
I think if you can get Boozer you do it. Just dont trade TP, Manu, TD, or Barry. But anyone else, I would do it for Boozer.

exstatic
02-21-2005, 10:55 PM
I think if you can get Boozer you do it. Just dont trade TP, Manu, TD, or Barry. But anyone else, I would do it for Boozer.

Do you know how much Boozer makes? You can't do a deal for him, and not include one or two of the people on your exclusion list. He left Cleveland for the MONEY, and word is that Utah was disappointed with his performance in the West. Guess what: last time I looked, SA was in the West. His game is a horrible fit here anyway. He can only score in the paint, handcufffing Tim's offense, and doesn't block shots for shit, a definite forbidden in our defense.

Boozer sucks ass, and makes a ton of money. You people would be bitching louder next year about him than you currently do about Malik.

Dre_7
02-21-2005, 10:57 PM
Ive never bitched about Malik. I like him. I know that Boozer makes alot of Money. I just dont think you give up one of those four players I mentioned for Boozer.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-21-2005, 10:58 PM
He can only score in the paint, handcufffing Tim's offense, and doesn't block shots for shit, a definite forbidden in our defense.

You just described Malik's game perfectly.

Rick Von Braun
02-21-2005, 11:32 PM
Right. Death to short people. They're expendable.
:lol

Rick Von Braun
02-21-2005, 11:34 PM
I wouldn't mind having Curry. He averages 15 ppg and he can play D.
I would. He doesn't rebound to save his life and he is brain dead.

Pass.

:pctoss

Supergirl
02-21-2005, 11:37 PM
Malik has played Shaq well in the past, despite the height mismatch. Most likely Tim will be guarding the centers a lot in the playoffs, and in any case there are very few centers better defensively than Rasho right now. In fact, the only one I can think of is Brad Miller and Shaq. They're the only people I would give up Rasho for. Eddy Curry is too inconsistant, Yao Ming doesn't rebound well for his size, and the rest are too old (Divac, Ratliff, etc) or not as good (Blount, Kandi, Radmanovic,etc)

Rasho doesn't need to be good on offense. When he's needed to (Tim's injury last year) he stepped up. When will people stop criticizing him for not doing something he's not being asked to focus on? We need him to block shots and grab rebounds and keep people out of the paint as best he can. He does that about 80% of the time.

Spurs don't need much, they have a great team. They need guys to be healthy.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-21-2005, 11:38 PM
He doesn't rebound to save his life

His rebounding average would slide him in at #3 on the Spurs behind Tim and Rasho, and he's blocking one shot per game (yeah it's not much but it's a lot higher than Rose's 6'3" .18 blocks per game).

san antonio spurs
02-21-2005, 11:40 PM
when I joined this board I was amazed by how sequ could have 6,492posts( by writting not more than 2 sentences for each post).
don't change your formula my friend, stick with ur clueless 1 sentence post, coz u are not good at all in analyzing.
in other words, your takes suck.
________
Avandia class action lawsuit (http://classactionsettlements.org/)

ducks
02-21-2005, 11:41 PM
Do you know how much Boozer makes? You can't do a deal for him, and not include one or two of the people on your exclusion list. He left Cleveland for the MONEY, and word is that Utah was disappointed with his performance in the West. Guess what: last time I looked, SA was in the West. His game is a horrible fit here anyway. He can only score in the paint, handcufffing Tim's offense, and doesn't block shots for shit, a definite forbidden in our defense.

Boozer sucks ass, and makes a ton of money. You people would be bitching louder next year about him than you currently do about Malik.

boozer has no point guard this year
first year in the west
first with with new players

people need to give him a chance to learn his teamates and players

he is not a vet like barry
and barry has had tp all season

ducks
02-21-2005, 11:42 PM
when I joined this board I was amazed by how sequ could have 6,492posts( by writting not more than 2 sentences for each post).
don't change your formula my friend, stick with ur clueless 1 sentence post, coz u are not good at all in analyzing.
in other words, your takes suck.

alot of his post nba forum :lol

ducks
02-21-2005, 11:44 PM
His rebounding average would slide him in at #3 on the Spurs behind Tim and Rasho, and he's blocking one shot per game (yeah it's not much but it's a lot higher than Rose's 6'3" .18 blocks per game).

just think ahf rose's numbers are next to duncan
just think what they would be without duncan

could you imagine what boozers numbers would be next to say duncan

wildbill2u
02-22-2005, 12:23 PM
The good thing is that our main competitors play small.

Until you get to the Heat or the Pistons.

Rummpd
02-22-2005, 12:26 PM
The facts speaks for themselves when even Vescey is aplogizing.

Boozer, Jazz in tune -- By Peter Vecsey, New York Post
February 22, 2005 -- DENVER — Without further ado, yesterday's late report that the Lakers and Jazz had consummated a deal involving Caron Butler, Vlade Divac and Devean George for Carlos Boozer was so sloppily inaccurate Daily Nuisance NBA columnist Mitch Lawrence demanded to co-sign my byline.
Considering the two teams never have discussed such a trade and Boozer is not being remotely marketed nothing could be further from the truth, scolds Utah GM Kevin O'Connor.

Mere minor details!

When Jazz owner Larry Miller recently verbally flogged Boozer for not always playing hard, the irresponsible inclination was to project he'd be traded before Thursday's 3 p.m. (EST) deadline. Aside to GMs: Get your request to put (another) one over on Rob Babcock in now.

Regrettably, many in the media, including myself, missed the next day's account out of Salt Lake City describing a meeting in which Miller apologized to Boozer for singling him out and embarrassing him publicly.

Bottom line: Everything was squared away and the two vowed to move on in tandem.

Regarding my report of shoptalk between the Lakers and Kings regarding Lamar Odom for Peja Stojakovic and Bobby Jackson, both sides claim no such offer was made. Then again, both sides claim they turned it down.

In reality, the above names were prominently put out there in more than one conversation and Stojakovic's agent was notified by management his client might be moved before Feb. 24. It still could happen.

exstatic
02-22-2005, 01:27 PM
You just described Malik's game perfectly.
Boozer is really nothing more than Malik + 1 or 2 inches in height. His game is almost identical, hustle rebounds and garbage around the hoop. Nothing worth paying big bucks for, and Boozer makes a LOT more than Malik. Thanks heavens this seems to be a myth.

sa_butta
02-22-2005, 01:28 PM
http://www.prosportsdaily.com/nba/spurs/rumors.html
has all the latest romor info

adrienne
02-22-2005, 03:13 PM
The Mavs still don't have a point guard? In the last 15 games, Jason Terry has averaged 6.3 apg, more than the season averages of Gary Payton, Jason Williams, Mike Bibby, and Tony Parker. In those 15 games the Mavs have gone 11-4, the 4 losses coming by an average of 5.5 points. Dirk Nowitzki's apg average is also up, as well as production from the old man (Darrell Armstrong) and the rookie (Devin Harris). They may have their issues, but their point guard production (while not up to the Steve Nash standard) has been adequate.

Whew, glad I got that out.

By the way, hey yall, how ya been?:)

exstatic
02-22-2005, 04:08 PM
In the last 15 games, Jason Terry has averaged 6.3 apg, more than the season averages of Gary Payton, Jason Williams, Mike Bibby, and Tony Parker. In those 15 games the Mavs have gone 11-4, the 4 losses coming by an average of 5.5 points.
Gilbert Arenas also averages more APG than Tony. Doesn't mean he's a PG, either. If SA ran wild like Dallas does, Tony would average 9-10 APG. In fact, you can tell the games where SA runs quite a bit just by Tony's assists.

If Dallas ran half court sets like SA, Terry would average 4-5 APG. He doesn't have the court vision. This isn't us saying it, Adrienne, it's national writers. He was called a small SG in ATL, too.

ducks
02-22-2005, 04:29 PM
The NBA's trading deadline is Thursday at 3 p.m. ET. Here's the latest talk around the league as of 3:30 p.m. ET on Tuesday.

Marshall

Marshall

The Rumor: Raptors forward Donyell Marshall to Miami for swingman Wesley Person, forward Malik Allen and a draft pick or to San Antonio for forward Malik Rose.

The Reason: Marshall, 32, has been mentioned frequently as the next Raptor to go since the Raptors dealt Vince Carter and shifted their focus to building around Chris Bosh. Parting with Marshall would give Toronto room to sign free agents this summer. The Heat have been seeking an experienced power forward to play with Shaquille O'Neal, and the Spurs are looking to part with Rose, a regular in Gregg Popovich's dog house, and the four years remaining on his contract.

The Latest: Raptors general manager Rob Babcock told the Toronto Star that the chances of making any deal are "more like 35-65" and wouldn't trade Marshall unless "you're going to get a player who is good for your future." According to the Miami Herald, the Heat are interested in Marshall but would have to include Michael Doleac, one of Miami's key reserves, to swing a deal. Two Heat players told the newspaper that trading Doleac would be a mistake.

Davis

Davis

The Rumor: Hornets guard Baron Davis to Toronto or Atlanta.

The Reason: Last week, Hornets coach Byron Scott criticized Davis for wanting to extend the rehabilitation of his injured ankle in his hometown of Los Angeles. Davis has played in just 17 of New Orleans' 53 games, but the former All-Star's attitude began to sour last summer when his agent hinted that Davis – put off by the team's lack of offseason activity – might want to play for another team.

The Latest: According to the New York Post, the Raptors have offered guard Rafer Alston and forwards Lamond Murray and Donyell Marshall, and the Hawks have also showed interest in Davis. The Times-Picayune reported Tuesday that Hornets general manager Allan Bristow met with team owner George Shinn but weren't considering moving Davis before the trade deadline.

Redd

Redd

The Rumor: Bucks guard Michael Redd to the Warriors, Blazers, Timberwolves, Cavaliers or Grizzlies.

The Reason: Redd has let it be known that he'd like to be LeBron James' sidekick when he becomes an unrestricted free agent in July. The Bucks hope to sign Redd to a long-term contract but face the risk of losing him for nothing.

The Latest: The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel suggested on Monday the following scenarios involving Redd and forward Keith Van Horn, whose contract of one year remaining at $15.7 million makes him attractive – to Portland for Shareef Abdur-Rahim, another player and a draft pick, or to Golden State for Dale Davis, Mike Dunleavy Jr. and picks.

Odom

Odom

The Rumor: Lakers forward Lamar Odom for Kings forward Peja Stojakovic and Kings guard Bobby Jackson.

The Reason: Odom needs the ball in his hands to be effective but that honor belongs to Kobe Bryant. Stojakovic requested a trade in the offseason after Chris Webber criticized unnamed Kings players for lacking toughness.

The Latest: Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak told the Los Angeles Times that Odom had not been offered to any team. However, the Sacramento Bee reported Monday that a Stojakovic deal was discussed among Kings officials but turned down by president Geoff Petrie and co-owners Joe and Gavin Maloof.

Webber

Webber

The Rumor: Kings forward Chris Webber to the Knicks.

The Reason: Knicks president Isiah Thomas is due to make another shakeup with the disappointing Knicks, who begin the second half at 21-32 but are only five games out of the East's final playoff spot.

The Latest: Webber's contract, which includes three years at over $62 million, will scare away just about every team – well, every team but the Knicks, who, according to the Chicago Tribune, inquired about Webber. The Sacramento Bee reported Monday that there is "strong sentiment within the Kings organization" to trade Webber, not Stojakovic.

Boozer

Boozer

The Rumor: Jazz forward Carlos Boozer for Lakers forward Lamar Odom or Lakers forward Caron Butler.

The Reason: Larry Miller recently criticized Boozer's inconsistent play, prompting a face-to-face meeting between the Jazz owner and Utah's prized free-agent signing.

The Latest: Jazz general manager Kevin O'Connor told the Desert Morning News that a potential swap with the Lakers is "absolutely ludicrous."

Payton

Payton

The Rumor: Celtics point guard Gary Payton to a playoff contender.

The Reason: Payton, who was never in Celtics director of basketball operations Danny Ainge's long-term plans, has asked to be traded.

The Latest: The Boston Herald reiterated Tuesday that there hasn't been much interest in the 36-year-old Payton, who would prefer to play on the West Coast where his family still lives. The Celtics are seeking a top prospect or a first-round pick. One potential scenario involving Indiana and Seattle would send Payton to the Pacers and bring Sonics rookie center Robert Swift (an Ainge favorite) to Boston.

Guru of Nothing
02-22-2005, 05:04 PM

In his past 20 games while averaging 30 minutes per game, Eddy Curry has exceeded 5 rebounds in only 3 games.

In contrast, Malik has 7 games with more than 5 boards, while playing half the minutes of Curry.

ducks
02-22-2005, 05:09 PM
it is smart to trade webber over peja

Spurminator
02-22-2005, 05:15 PM
Eddy Curry is another Zach Randolph waiting to happen.

Rick Von Braun
02-22-2005, 05:24 PM
His rebounding average would slide him in at #3 on the Spurs behind Tim and Rasho, and he's blocking one shot per game (yeah it's not much but it's a lot higher than Rose's 6'3" .18 blocks per game). If the Spurs negotiate a trade with the Bulls, Chandler is a much better option for the Spurs' needs. Hell, if the Spurs FO could somehow get this deal done, I would be buying my championship t-shirt NOW. http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smiafro.gif

adrienne
02-23-2005, 12:21 AM
Exstatic, I didn't say it was yall, I was just stating a response. And the point wasn't that Jason Terry is a better player than any of those guys I listed....just some stats to backup that they ARE getting some decent point guard production.

T Park
02-23-2005, 12:26 AM
Eddy Curry is another Zach Randolph waiting to happen.

Only problem is Zach Randolph has a work ethic.