PDA

View Full Version : Why is Anthony Tolliver not playing?

jlpittsley
11-18-2008, 08:40 AM
I will be the the first to admit that I like Anthony Tolliver's game more than I should. He's long and covers a lot of area on the defensive end. His offense needs work but that's fine with me. Furthermore, Spurs struggle guarding athletic bigs since Duncan needs to stay away to prevent fouls. Tolliver would be a perfect person to defend David West. In fact, he may be the only player with the combination of lenght and speed to guard people like Amare and David West. Thomas can't guard them...Bowen is too small..Ime is too small... and Oberto is better on centers.

I'm in the camp that thinks that Tolliver has more "upside" than Matt Bonner and that we need to get him minutes while we're hurt. I can see that Pop didnt' want Matt to feel liike he was at the end of his rope..and thus played him. But we'll need Tolliver more in the end.

mrspurs
11-18-2008, 08:52 AM
Thats a good one. I thought for sure he would play last night. Figured he was sitting because of the back to back games. Though I didnt get a chance to watch most of the game last night. Im not sure whats going on. Guess things will unfold in the next few days. I didnt see anything that would warrant him Pops doghouse this early.

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-18-2008, 08:56 AM
Bonner is outplaying him and deserves the minutes he gets at the moment. Tolliver will have to work hard to get back into the rotation, otherwise I wouldn't be surprised to see him in Toros for a while when Ian comes back as long as he's fit enough to produce.

And of course there's always the possibility of showcasing Bonner to increase his trade value, but that's unlikely IMO.

tonylongoriafan
11-18-2008, 09:00 AM
at least bonner is sinking some 3's...let's face facts, that's what this is all about, stretching the floor. tolliver takes 3's like he's good at making them but in fact he looks more like tim duncan doing it...akward!

T Park
11-18-2008, 09:14 AM
bonner is playing some damn good basketball right now and there's no reason to take away his minutes

The Truth #6
11-18-2008, 09:16 AM
His shot is falling and he's actually decent on defense for the moment. I'm sure they hope he's turned the corner.

honestfool84
11-18-2008, 09:29 AM
bonner is playing some damn good basketball right now and there's no reason to take away his minutes

:lmao

i never thought i'd hear these words out of a 'fan' off of spurstalk.com

SenorSpur
11-18-2008, 10:03 AM
Bonner is playing out of his mind. Probably his best stretch of games in a Spurs uniform. That said, and considering how incosistent and ineffective KT and Oberto have, I would've at least expected Tolliver to see even a few minutes of spot duty. He shouldn't be a DNP.

Dr. Gonzo
11-18-2008, 10:14 AM
Bonner is playing like a young Oliver Miller.

MoSpur
11-18-2008, 10:29 AM
I hate to say it, but we need to milk Bonner's game right now until it runs dry.

TJastal
11-18-2008, 10:34 AM
I understand why Bonner is getting some more PT, and he deserves it (for now). Oberto otoh, is back to playing like a timid mouse turd out there, turning down wide open shots, making stupid touch fouls (if your going to foul a guy right at the basket ffs u need to make sure they don't get a shot off). For the next stretch of games I'd like to see:

-Tolliver getting at least half of Oberto's 15 mins / game (if not 3/4 of them)

-The new guy, Blake, get some more time, at the expense of Vaughn. This guy looks like he could be a knockdown shooter from 3.

z0sa
11-18-2008, 11:44 AM
Bonner and Tolliver are not competing solely for minutes right now. It's between Bonner, Tolliver, Oberto, and Thomas. If Thomas/Oberto regain last season form (we need more than 2 boards between you in 29mins, guys), or Ian Mahinmi plays well, then Tolliver will have to beat out Bonner. I don't see it happening - not with Bonner's defense as it is, and his proven scoring ability.

DPG21920
11-18-2008, 11:55 AM
Man I have been so excited with the effort and talent (in flashes) from the new guys, I cannot wait to see if Ian steps up like everyone else that is new and hungry and trying to contribute!!!!!!!!!!

jlpittsley
11-18-2008, 11:57 AM
then Tolliver will have to beat out Bonner. I don't see it happening - not with Bonner's defense as it is, and his proven scoring ability.[/quote]

Ya see, this is where I disagree. Tolliver already seems like a better defender. Pop may have to hold him back since he takes more chances, but he's already faster and can defend a greater variety of players. Bonner is better on offense, but we won't need his offense later this season. What we need to to have the fast power forwards and large small forwards to not burn us for 40 points.

z0sa
11-18-2008, 12:10 PM
Ya see, this is where I disagree. Tolliver already seems like a better defender. Pop may have to hold him back since he takes more chances, but he's already faster and can defend a greater variety of players. Bonner is better on offense, but we won't need his offense later this season. What we need to to have the fast power forwards and large small forwards to not burn us for 40 points.

I wasn't talking about Bonner's individual defense, moreso about his positioning and rotation on that end. These things are something Tolliver's going to have to get in practice to get PT. He's had some notable defensive lapses already this season.

That said, if you really think Tolliver can guard small forwards... He is not THAT mobile of a big. He does have an advantage against perimeter power forwards I'd say.

T Park
11-18-2008, 12:32 PM
Bonner is playing like a young Oliver Miller.

The ooooooo show.

Dex
11-18-2008, 12:39 PM
I think it became pretty apparent that Pop saved Udoka and Thomas for the second game of the back to back. After DNPs against the Kings, they were two of the first guys off the bench against LA. So much for all those people prognosticating trades.

Tolliver was given a small run against Sacramento, and I didn't notice anything too outstanding. Made a few rookie mistakes, had a nice tap out steal for a breakaway dunk. Shortly thereafter, he hit the pine. My guess is that Pop saw Bonner starting to turn it on and stuck with him, which ended up being the right decision in retrospect.

Tollver is getting as good of a chance as any big man the Spurs have courted recently. He needs to continue to produce with hustle and energy...and knocking down a damn shot or two would be nice, too.

timvp
11-18-2008, 04:58 PM
It's a loooooong season. Each of the bigs is going to get DNP-CD's along the way. Bonner is playing well so he's getting minutes right now. Hopefully he continues to play well and Pop doesn't have to doghouse him again to get his attention.

Against the Clippers specifically, they have a giant frontcourt so it makes perfect sense to play the bigger bigs. Tolliver is the smallest of the bigs.

Jet915
11-18-2008, 07:48 PM
Bonner is outplaying him and deserves the minutes he gets at the moment. Tolliver will have to work hard to get back into the rotation, otherwise I wouldn't be surprised to see him in Toros for a while when Ian comes back as long as he's fit enough to produce.

And of course there's always the possibility of showcasing Bonner to increase his trade value, but that's unlikely IMO.

Spurs bought high, will they sell high or hope the value doesn't go down?

The Truth #6
11-18-2008, 08:15 PM
Also, Bonner plays rougher than AT, which with our huge weakness in rebounding, might be a factor in favor of Bonner, especially with him hitting a majority of his shots and not sucking on defense.

Anti.Hero
11-18-2008, 08:32 PM
I actually think Toli outhustles Bonner on the boards. Toli has been getting some nice tip-ins.

Bonner is lucky to wrestle the opposing PG out of a rebound.