PDA

View Full Version : Tim's sick pass

peskypesky
11-18-2008, 11:30 AM
As if his 6 blocks, 20pts and 15 rebounds weren't enough, Tim added this ridiculous pass (1:31).

http://www.nba.com/video/games/clippers/2008/11/17/nba_sas_lac_0020800148_recap.nba/index.html?player=whatsnew
:toast

tonylongoriafan
11-18-2008, 11:31 AM
Nice!

DPG21920
11-18-2008, 11:36 AM
That pass was sick. I stood up an yelled so loud when he did that.

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-18-2008, 11:41 AM
That fast break dish was jaw dropping. There are great big men who can rebound and make the outlet pass to create a fast break. There are great ones who can get out there and run to finish on the fast break. Has there even been a big man who can do what Tim does, and run a fast break like a point guard in the open court like that? I've seen him do it time after time and I'm still floored whenever I see it.

MoSpur
11-18-2008, 11:45 AM
In my opinion, Tim's handles are very underrated.

m33p0
11-18-2008, 12:05 PM
"Tim Duncan grabs the rebound... outlet to Tim Duncan... Tim Duncan runs the break... bounce pass to Tim Duncan who goes for a tomahawk jam! And1 Tim Duncan!"

peskypesky
11-18-2008, 12:11 PM
"Tim Duncan grabs the rebound... outlet to Tim Duncan... Tim Duncan runs the break... bounce pass to Tim Duncan who goes for a tomahawk jam! And1 Tim Duncan!"

Duncan grabs the rebound from Duncan's missed free throw and jams it in!

Dex
11-18-2008, 12:12 PM
I love how Sean nearly loses his marbles every time Timmy brings it up the floor.

"Magic Duncan is at it again!"

duncan228
11-18-2008, 12:44 PM
His passing is incredible, and even though we see it often, it's still one of the most under-rated parts of his game. That pass last night got me out of my chair. :smokin

SenorSpur
11-18-2008, 01:38 PM
There is no doubt about it. That was an absolutely wicked pass by Tim. I, too, yelled at the TV when he did it. I couldn't believe it at first.

As a side note, I do recall Tim commenting that, growing up in the VI, he and his friends idolized Magic Johnson.

tp2021
11-18-2008, 01:45 PM
I think I remember a game in which Timmy's pass wasn't so on-the-money, prompting Sean to say something like "Timmy idolizes Magic Johnson, but too often bigmen end up looking like Tragic Johnson." :lmao

duncan228
11-18-2008, 01:45 PM
As a side note, I do recall Tim commenting that, growing up in the VI, he and his friends idolized Magic Johnson.

He did. And when his brother-in-law began to teach him the game Duncan wasn't as tall, he focused on guard skills. Duncan has said he's a guard in a tall body. (Something like that, I have the quote somewhere).

MrChug
11-18-2008, 01:48 PM
I was very, VERY impressed. Not only is he our big man running the break delivering a fast break pass, but he "threaded the needle" and very well I might add. Good job.

I remember my jaw on the floor in a 90's All-Star game where D-Rob pulled a right to left crossover out of his ass on Shaq coupled with an up and under. I've been searching for the clip.

I'll find it bye golly.

duncan228
11-18-2008, 01:51 PM
Ricky took the court with Tim and began teaching him the skills of the game. At about six feet, Tim was tall for his age, and Ricky guessed that he’d grow another four or five inches. With this estimate in mind, Ricky taught Tim the nuances of the perimeter game.

...I am no big man. This is merely where they believe I should play because I am tall. I am really a point guard; I'm just a little bigger than everyone else is.

MoSpur
11-18-2008, 01:52 PM
I would love to see that clip of DRob. I know during warmups, Tim is always playing around dribbling through his legs and behind his back.

duncan228
Duncan interview with Stack magazine, January, 2007 (http://magazine.stack.com/TheIssue/Article/4081/Interview_with_Tim_Duncan.aspx).

Did you look up to any basketball players or other idols when you were growing up in St. Croix?

Duncan: I was always a big Magic Johnson fan growing up. I love that he embodied the whole team concept. The Lakers of the 80s were the kind of team I wanted to play for and had the kind of players I wanted to be like. Magic started that whole team concept. Although he was the best, it wasn’t just him out there. He had a bunch of guys around him, and that’s how they got it done.

Did you model your game after Magic’s—spreading the ball and doing it all?

Duncan: (laughs) Sure, we play different positions, but I would love to be able to say that about my early career. We play two different kinds of games, but the concept is the same—moving the ball and getting everyone involved. We both understand that we can’t do it alone.

MoSpur
Good find Duncan228

duncan228
11-18-2008, 01:55 PM
Good find Duncan228

I knew I had it, my Duncan inventory needs more organizing. :lol

I just added the link to the interview, it's a nice piece.

MoSpur
11-18-2008, 02:14 PM
I'm afraid to see what that inventory looks like and how big of an inventory it is. :lol

SenorSpur
11-18-2008, 02:39 PM
I was very, VERY impressed. Not only is he our big man running the break delivering a fast break pass, but he "threaded the needle" and very well I might add. Good job.

I remember my jaw on the floor in a 90's All-Star game where D-Rob pulled a right to left crossover out of his ass on Shaq coupled with an up and under. I've been searching for the clip.

I'll find it bye golly.

Good God. I hope you do find the clip.

SenorSpur
11-18-2008, 02:42 PM
I think I remember a game in which Timmy's pass wasn't so on-the-money, prompting Sean to say something like "Timmy idolizes Magic Johnson, but too often bigmen end up looking like Tragic Johnson." :lmao

:lol

The Ninja strikes again.

duncan228
11-18-2008, 02:46 PM
I'm afraid to see what that inventory looks like and how big of an inventory it is. :lol

You really don't want to know. Sometimes I don't want to know. :lol

Let's just say I don't think there's much out there on him that I don't have somewhere.

Manufan909
11-18-2008, 02:57 PM
Sweet Timmy and Money bookmark the top 10 list, whoo!!!

IronMexican
11-18-2008, 02:58 PM
That was a sick pass. Great stats, too.

polandprzem
11-18-2008, 03:30 PM
I love Tims passes

In 2003 finals he was leading the break few times and we all remember that great no-look pass to Manu for the lay-in!

Cry Havoc
11-18-2008, 04:50 PM
Has there ever been a post player that was as effective as Duncan with the passing ability that he possesses? I honestly think if Hill got hurt, we could sub Tim in at point to handle the load for a while. No joke.

Man In Black
11-18-2008, 05:11 PM
I've seen that same type of pass from Ginobili. Tim did it just as well as Manu did.

6gRbv8L8coE
Back in 03, there are some bounce passes from FT line to FT line that seemed so out of the ordinary but it was Manu so it was like...not so out of the ordinary. The early Ginobili vids from the 03 has those passes.

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-18-2008, 05:26 PM
Back in 03, there are some bounce passes from FT line to FT line that seemed so out of the ordinary but it was Manu so it was like...not so out of the ordinary. The early Ginobili vids from the 03 has those passes.

I remember those. Half the time they resulted in easy buckets because the defense didn't think a pass like that was a possibility. The other half they resulted in turnovers because the intended target never saw it coming either.

Manufan909
11-18-2008, 05:28 PM
I remember those. Half the time they resulted in easy buckets because the defense didn't think a pass like that was a possibility. The other half they resulted in turnovers because the intended target never saw it coming either.

It's always 50/50 with Manu.:downspin:

mVp
11-18-2008, 05:44 PM
I've seen that same type of pass from Ginobili. Tim did it just as well as Manu did.

6gRbv8L8coE

Spot on! that pass reminded me of Manu too, I thought "wow, Timmy just took a page from Manu's book there" :lol But Tim has always been a great passer, he's one of the few big men with great vision and passing skills.

peskypesky
11-18-2008, 08:07 PM
Has there ever been a post player that was as effective as Duncan with the passing ability that he possesses?

Well, with regards to passing, I think Arvydas Sabonis was the best-passing big-man of all-time. He was just ridiculous. Nash-like.

peskypesky
11-18-2008, 08:16 PM
For a tast of Sabonis' passing, watch this video, especially from about 3:35 on

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUWkBOyXwAo&feature=related

Bartleby
11-18-2008, 08:37 PM
Considering how much Tim uses the glass, I guess it shouldn't be too surprising he can pull off a beautiful bounce pass in traffic.

Still, I was blown away when I saw that. I bet he's pretty solid at the pool tables as well.

duncan228
11-18-2008, 08:40 PM
I bet he's pretty solid at the pool tables as well.

That's a good bet.

Avitus1
11-18-2008, 11:11 PM
Great pass.

SpurSupremacist
11-19-2008, 01:17 AM
Has there ever been a post player that was as effective as Duncan with the passing ability that he possesses? I honestly think if Hill got hurt, we could sub Tim in at point to handle the load for a while. No joke.

Bill Walton comes to mind.

Man In Black
11-19-2008, 02:42 AM

Come to think of it, back in the day, a post player named Wilton Norman Chamberlain led the league in assists. So...YEAH there has been.

SenorSpur
11-19-2008, 02:43 AM
Well, with regards to passing, I think Arvydas Sabonis was the best-passing big-man of all-time. He was just ridiculous. Nash-like.

Hands down. Sabonis was THE greatest passer of any big man I've ever seen! He was also one of the best all-around big men ever! It's a shame that he didn't make it to the NBA until roughly 10 years after Portland initially drafted him in 1986.

Galileo
11-19-2008, 01:30 PM
Tim "MAGIC" Duncan!

Cry Havoc
11-19-2008, 01:37 PM
Hands down. Sabonis was THE greatest passer of any big man I've ever seen! He was also one of the best all-around big men ever! It's a shame that he didn't make it to the NBA until roughly 10 years after Portland initially drafted him in 1986.

yeah, how DID I forget about Sabonis? I DID think of Mr. Walton, however I think Duncan would just abuse him in the post if they ever played at comparative ages.

Duncan has to be top 3 though, I would think. I haven't seen enough footage of Wilt to know how good he was at passing, but considering he scored 100 points in a game, he probably had the ball on every possession, and it was inevitable that his assists would be high.

Galileo
11-19-2008, 02:06 PM
yeah, how DID I forget about Sabonis? I DID think of Mr. Walton, however I think Duncan would just abuse him in the post if they ever played at comparative ages.

Duncan has to be top 3 though, I would think. I haven't seen enough footage of Wilt to know how good he was at passing, but considering he scored 100 points in a game, he probably had the ball on every possession, and it was inevitable that his assists would be high.

early in Wilt's career, he had very low assists, only one or two per game usually. Later in his career, he became a passer and led the league twice in assists.

SenorSpur
11-19-2008, 02:11 PM
early in Wilt's career, he had very low assists, only one or two per game usually. Later in his career, he became a passer and led the league twice in assists.

It's clear that Wilt sought out annual challenges to raise his game. I feel pretty confident in proclaiming that Wilt is probably the only player in NBA history to have ever led the league in the scoring, rebounds and assists, at some point in his career.