PDA

View Full Version : Stackhouse wants to be traded

DPG21920
11-18-2008, 12:00 PM
http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/story/1044856.html

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — A pillar of the Dallas Mavericks for the past half-decade, veteran Jerry Stackhouse, disillusioned with his diminished role just 10 games into the season, wants to rediscover happiness somewhere else.

Stating his style clashes with coach Rick Carlisle’s motion offense, a scheme based more on freelance movement than structured plays, and a reluctance to sacrifice minutes for mentoring, the 14-year swingman said his agent is exploring options for him to depart Dallas, possibly through a buyout or trade.

"The key part is there’s really no conflict with us," Stackhouse said Monday of him and Carlisle. "It’s understood that it’s his job to coach the team, but it’s my job to protect my future. I’ve got to have some say-so and dictate with the role that I’m kind of in now, that I’m ready to accept that. I don’t think I’m ready to fully accept that at this point."

Stackhouse said he believes he can thrive elsewhere, as he once did in Dallas, as a potent sixth man. Although his contract status, virtually an expiring contract, is favorable for a trade, his value is murky because he remains mired in a deep shooting freeze (29.1 percent overall) and bothered by a heel injury.

In fact, Stackhouse won’t play tonight in Charlotte or perhaps for some time. He’s removing himself from the active roster indefinitely to rest his heel and allow time for a resolution.

"I’m exploring options," Stackhouse said. "The team is always going to protect itself. I can’t force their hand to do anything. I don’t really know all the options right now. I think it’s to the point now where it’s time to start researching some things and seeing if there’s other possibilities that make more sense for me right now."

Stackhouse said his agent, Jeff Schwartz, who also represents Josh Howard and Jason Kidd, is gauging interest around the league. Schwartz did not return messages.

"Now it’s time to take that discovery to [Mavs president] Donnie [Nelson] and to [owner] Mark [Cuban]," Stackhouse said. "And hopefully it adds up."

Cuban said via e-mail that the team is working with Stackhouse, who the club believes "can be a valuable contributor to the organization on the court and off."

Stackhouse was adamant that he’s not demanding a trade, nor does he desire to burn bridges in hopes of one day returning to the franchise in a coaching or front-office capacity. Still, his plea puts management in an awkward position. The Mavs would prefer Stackhouse, who turned 34 on Nov. 5, accept a lighter workload and embrace, for the good of the franchise, a mentorship of would-be successors Antoine Wright and Gerald Green.

"Our first choice would be for what Jerry brings to the team, with his experience and playoff skins, toughness and intensity. Those things are valuable," Nelson said. "It’s just that during this period of time, we’ve got to be able to bring some of our younger players along as well. Therein lies the conflict.

"With our relationship and openly and honestly communicating, we’ll be able to come up with a game plan and hopefully that game plan will be one that includes Jerry in a Maverick uniform. If it’s just not a comfortable situation, if it’s a situation where the minutes are just not there, then we’ll work together with his agent and see if there’s some win-win together for both of us."

Simmering since he did not play against Cleveland on Nov. 3, things came to a head Sunday at New York when Stackhouse was inactive. Carlisle informed him that morning, part of a communication plan to allow Stackhouse the option of being inactive if his minutes will be limited.

Carlisle said the matchup against the up-tempo Knicks, who the Mavs defeated to end a five-game skid, didn’t favor Stackhouse. On Monday, Stackhouse took issue with that assessment.

"I play a lot of summer basketball," he said. "When I see [Knicks players] Wilson Chandler, Quentin Richardson and Jamal Crawford scared to guard me in the summertime, but it’s not a matchup, a particular game that I should play in, then ..."

Nelson said if the process drags out, he doesn’t see Stackhouse, who describes himself as disappointed, but not despondent, becoming a worrisome distraction.

"There’s always going to be a piece of me that’s a Dallas Maverick, regardless of what happens from this day on," Stackhouse said. "As it stands right now, I just think we’re drifting in different directions."

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-18-2008, 12:04 PM
That sound you just heard was every Mav fan on this board turning a cartwheel at once.

DPG21920
11-18-2008, 12:06 PM
He is my least favorite player in the league. It is good for me to see him twist in the wind for a little while

monosylab1k
11-18-2008, 12:06 PM
:tu to Stack being a professional about this. 5 years ago he wouldn't be nearly this amicable.

MoSpur
11-18-2008, 12:07 PM
I cannot stand that dude.

I. Hustle
11-18-2008, 12:11 PM
Oh he wants to leave?! Can we trade Bonner and Vaughn for him?!

j/k I was just trying to be the first

DPG21920
11-18-2008, 12:26 PM
Stack and Bass for Odom?

Dear god, please let this happen.

IronMexican
11-18-2008, 12:27 PM
Stack and Bass for Odom?

No fucking way.

DPG21920
11-18-2008, 12:29 PM
No fucking way.

It is already in the works, you cannot stop it

JamStone
11-18-2008, 12:52 PM
Stack and Bass for Odom?

Why the hell would a Laker fan want that?

Findog
11-18-2008, 01:10 PM
Stack is basically an expiring contract at this point, so I would def do Bass for Odom.

JamStone
11-18-2008, 01:12 PM
Stack sucks and will be a problem in the locker room so long as he isn't getting 30 minutes a game. Bass is decent, but gritty 6-8 power forwards who do "all the little things" are a dime a dozen. Pouting or not, Odom is way more valuable to the Lakers than those two players.

Vujacic and Stack on the same team? Might as well just line up before each game and let the other team's players take free swings at them because at some point during the game they're going to want to fight them both.

jack sommerset
11-18-2008, 01:13 PM
lakers would be stupid doing that

Findog
11-18-2008, 01:14 PM
:tu to Stack being a professional about this. 5 years ago he wouldn't be nearly this amicable.

I agree. He's been a total pro. Puts the lie to what Sperm fans are saying about him.

stretch
11-18-2008, 01:18 PM
Is Odom trying to get out of LA?

turiaf for president
11-18-2008, 01:21 PM
hell no to stack. odom for david lee and malik rose!

IronMexican
11-18-2008, 01:24 PM
hell no to stack. odom for david lee and malik rose!

G-Wallace, or bust. Wallace is pretty much what Ariza can be.

turiaf for president
11-18-2008, 01:26 PM
^ hes got 5 years left on his contract. rose's expires this year and david lee's also but hes making a meager 2 mil. he could be signed for 7-8 mil per year and give you the hustle, D, and rebounds like turiaf did.

Ghazi
11-18-2008, 01:27 PM
Stack/Bass for Odom doesn't even work salary wise and Odom doesn't fill a Mavs void anyway. Not to mention the Lakers would be retarded to give up a solid role player for two scrubs.

I hope we trade Stack instead of buy him out... maybe in a package w/ Diop, George, Bass, a combination of 2/3 , etc.

Need a backup PG and a shooting guard.

2Cleva
11-18-2008, 01:33 PM
No way is Dallas and LA trading together at this time.

But I'd deal Radmanovic for Stack if they were.

Gino
11-18-2008, 01:37 PM
Smart move by Stack to get off that sinking ship while he can.

Who knows how long Marc Cuban's checks will be good for :lol

dirk4mvp
11-18-2008, 01:38 PM
Small boys give me a chubby.

turiaf for president
11-18-2008, 01:40 PM

they wont take radman's contract. but id do that trade just to get rid of vlad's contract

Findog
11-18-2008, 01:42 PM
I watch my wife having sex with other men! It turns me on to see her get the pounding that I can't provide

sribb43
11-18-2008, 01:44 PM
Mavs better make good with his expiring contract and not f' it up. if Kwame can bring Gasol to LA...who knows what Stack can bring

monosylab1k
11-18-2008, 01:46 PM
I applaud the life work of George Lincoln Rockwell

monosylab1k
11-18-2008, 01:47 PM

I'd do that trade in an instant.

monosylab1k
11-18-2008, 01:49 PM
Stack sucks and will be a problem in the locker room so long as he isn't getting 30 minutes a game. Bass is decent, but gritty 6-8 power forwards who do "all the little things" are a dime a dozen. Pouting or not, Odom is way more valuable to the Lakers than those two players.

Vujacic and Stack on the same team? Might as well just line up before each game and let the other team's players take free swings at them because at some point during the game they're going to want to fight them both.

Agreed. And honestly, Bass can't even be described as a "do all the little things" power forward. He has no post game beyond muscling his way for a two handed dunk, other than that he's a midrange shooter. He doesn't do much on defense, and is an atrocious rebounder for a guy his size.

He has great elevation on his jumper and can get it off over anybody, but if his jumper isn't falling, he's usually worthless. Occasionally he'll be an "energy guy" but usually he's a black hole on offense who doesn't play defense or rebound.

TheMACHINE
11-18-2008, 01:50 PM
Stack and Bass for Odom?

Aprili fools?

Gino
11-18-2008, 01:52 PM
Mavs better make good with his expiring contract and not f' it up. if Kwame can bring Gasol to LA...who knows what Stack can bring

If the Mavs were smart, they would they would be trying to acquire expiring contracts, not give them up.

Who knows what Cuban's bottom line looks like? He might need some capital to cover the hit he's gonna take from the SEC. If he needs to sell the team, its in his best interest to have a low payroll.

My guess is he'll spend whatever's necessary to prevent himself from becoming someone's little bitch in prison. :lol

Medvedenko
11-18-2008, 01:58 PM
Yeah, I don't think that would be a good trade....Moving Odom has been discussed but I truly believe if he is moved it will go to the Eastern Conf.

jack sommerset
11-18-2008, 02:38 PM
If the Mavs can release this guy without paying this prick a dime they should do it. What timing. Shitty start,new coach,the summer of the pot head Howard and Cuban being charged by the SEC. What a selfish fuck. Who does he think he can play for as a 6th man? 6 months ago when he was orginally traded to the Nets he was like "I get a month vacation then I will be back with Mavs". For Christ Sakes this fucking douche is a FA at the end of the season. No class what so ever. Seriously, Stackhouses history has been made. That won't change,great offensive weapon. Thats it. What a asshole. I would hate to be in a trench with that guy. First sign of trouble that asshole would be out and running with his dick between his legs.

IronMexican
11-18-2008, 03:04 PM
Wallace homeboy, that foo's a beast. I was willing to take Richard Jefferson for Odom, but then Jefferson wouldn't be able to walk from all the ass pounding Luke Walton would give him.

BUMP
11-18-2008, 03:18 PM
John Lee Malvo has the freedom to do as he pleases

stretch
11-18-2008, 03:26 PM
If the Mavs can release this guy without paying this prick a dime they should do it. What timing. Shitty start,new coach,the summer of the pot head Howard and Cuban being charged by the SEC. What a selfish fuck. Who does he think he can play for as a 6th man? 6 months ago when he was orginally traded to the Nets he was like "I get a month vacation then I will be back with Mavs". For Christ Sakes this fucking douche is a FA at the end of the season. No class what so ever. Seriously, Stackhouses history has been made. That won't change,great offensive weapon. Thats it. What a asshole. I would hate to be in a trench with that guy. First sign of trouble that asshole would be out and running with his dick between his legs.

Not sure if you really are a Jazz fan or not, but the only reason Jazz fans hate Stackhouse is because he beat the shit out of Jeff Hornacek and Kirk Snyder.

Findog
11-18-2008, 03:48 PM
Not sure if you really are a Jazz fan or not, but the only reason Jazz fans hate Stackhouse is because he beat the shit out of Jeff Hornacek and Kirk Snyder.

And Matt Harpring.

Spurs Brazil
11-18-2008, 04:36 PM
Stackhouse is done

Spur-Addict
11-18-2008, 04:55 PM
It is already in the works, you cannot stop it

:lol

Stackhouse is done

In the league? Or just in Dallas? I'm not sure what you mean.

jack sommerset
11-18-2008, 05:31 PM

I'm just a fan in general of NBA. I live in Dallas so I hear more about them. I'm just saying the guy is a 15 year vet,paid damn good money and personally I can't see any REAL contenders going after this guy for 7 million this season. Lakers, Hell no,Rockets, Hell no, Celtics, Hell no,Hornets,Hell no! The list for a real NBA champion is short. We are talking about 7 million dollars.

What team is going to pay HIM (other than Mavs) 7 million dollars plus trade someone for him. If the guy REALLY wants to be class he could have done this quietly and tell the Mavericks "just let me go,don't pay me,no buyout and I will find another team on my own" Seriously. Is this a joke. He is being all nice about the situation, he understands the circumstance, just buy me out and I will go quietly. Pay him for being there but he is not there. Good lord. What youth movement are the Mavericks making? Did I miss something? If Stackhouse plays good he is in game, if not he will ride the pine. They are 3-6. They are trying to put the pieces together for a run and this fuckwad wants his money and wants out. Oh yeah, thats real fucking mature. Bail out on your teammates. I would send that bitch to Greece.

IronMexican
11-18-2008, 05:34 PM
Finley for Stack? That would bring a tear to my eye.

Shank
11-18-2008, 05:34 PM
Who knows what Cuban's bottom line looks like? He might need some capital to cover the hit he's gonna take from the SEC.

It would be something near a million dollars. You think that's a big hit to Cuban?

And you're a fag.

21_Blessings
11-18-2008, 05:45 PM
The Mavericks are done. And Dirk should give back his undeserved MVP

Brazil
11-18-2008, 06:01 PM
the rats are leaving the boat !

The Franchise
11-18-2008, 06:44 PM
If you want to be traded start playing better to build interest from other teams. Nobody wants the garbage he's putting on the floor now.

mavsfan1000
11-18-2008, 08:43 PM
Fucking Stackhouse. I fucking hate that guy. Who does he think he is by sucking for so long and expecting to get minutes? He can bring his 29% somewhere else but no one wants him.

Findog
11-18-2008, 08:53 PM
I'm just a fan in general of NBA. I live in Dallas so I hear more about them. I'm just saying the guy is a 15 year vet,paid damn good money and personally I can't see any REAL contenders going after this guy for 7 million this season. Lakers, Hell no,Rockets, Hell no, Celtics, Hell no,Hornets,Hell no! The list for a real NBA champion is short. We are talking about 7 million dollars.

What team is going to pay HIM (other than Mavs) 7 million dollars plus trade someone for him. If the guy REALLY wants to be class he could have done this quietly and tell the Mavericks "just let me go,don't pay me,no buyout and I will find another team on my own" Seriously. Is this a joke. He is being all nice about the situation, he understands the circumstance, just buy me out and I will go quietly. Pay him for being there but he is not there. Good lord. What youth movement are the Mavericks making? Did I miss something? If Stackhouse plays good he is in game, if not he will ride the pine. They are 3-6. They are trying to put the pieces together for a run and this fuckwad wants his money and wants out. Oh yeah, thats real fucking mature. Bail out on your teammates. I would send that bitch to Greece.

He has an expiring contract. Anybody who wants to create cap space would probably take him for at least that. And he's been real professional about his desire to get minutes elsewhere if there's not a substantial on-court role for him here. He isn't creating drama.

sook
11-18-2008, 09:15 PM
Fucking Stackhouse. I fucking hate that guy. Who does he think he is by sucking for so long and expecting to get minutes? He can bring his 29% somewhere else but no one wants him.

i remember he used to be money from those corner 3s every time, used to hate it :hat

That being said, i'd trade him for Luther head :toast

Many PackYao
11-18-2008, 09:18 PM
Well, he always has those Geico commercials if he decides to move on.:p:

Roxsfan
11-18-2008, 10:30 PM
who cares:toast

peskypesky
11-18-2008, 10:36 PM

Lebron?

dirk4mvp
11-18-2008, 10:42 PM
Lebron?

That shit about Cleveland fans booing LeBron last night because he dribbled the clock out instead of getting them a free taco probably cemented him not coming back in 2010.

peskypesky
11-18-2008, 10:48 PM
That shit about Cleveland fans booing LeBron last night because he dribbled the clock out instead of getting them a free taco probably cemented him not coming back in 2010.

are you serious about that??????????????

DPG21920
11-18-2008, 10:58 PM
He has an expiring contract. Anybody who wants to create cap space would probably take him for at least that. And he's been real professional about his desire to get minutes elsewhere if there's not a substantial on-court role for him here. He isn't creating drama.

Matt Bonner has an expiring contract, a better attitude and better shot and is playing better, so the Spurs will get a deal done before the Mavs.

Findog
11-18-2008, 11:01 PM
Matt Bonner has an expiring contract, a better attitude and better shot and is playing better, so the Spurs will get a deal done before the Mavs.

I don't care what Matt Bonner and the Spurs do. Start a thread for that if you want to discuss it. We were talking about Stackhouse.

duncan228
11-18-2008, 11:11 PM
The AP version.

Stackhouse wants out of Dallas (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/basketball/nba/11/18/bc.bkn.mavericks.stackhouse.ap/index.html)

de Soto
11-18-2008, 11:12 PM
The Mavs franchise is clearly coming apart. Too bad. :downspin::downspin::downspin:

sribb43
11-18-2008, 11:13 PM
are you serious about that??????????????

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2008/11/brian_windhorsts_cavs_blog_cav.html

peskypesky
11-18-2008, 11:16 PM
http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2008/11/brian_windhorsts_cavs_blog_cav.html

:lmao

Lebron will NEVER make it as a Spur!

"Anyway, LeBron said 'I can't believe people who buy season tickets get worked up over a g-- d--- $1 (blank) taco.' "
:nope

DPG21920
11-18-2008, 11:38 PM
I don't care what Matt Bonner and the Spurs do. Start a thread for that if you want to discuss it. We were talking about Stackhouse.

I did start the thread genius and I will discuss what i want

Findog
11-18-2008, 11:52 PM
I did start the thread genius and I will discuss what i want

Well, go talk to the wall about Bonner. Nobody cares.

DPG21920
11-18-2008, 11:56 PM
Well, go talk to the wall about Bonner. Nobody cares.

Evidently you do because you responded to my posting about him. It directly corresponded to the scenario you gave about Stackhouse and your logic about why teams would want him. But when I use a simile with Bonner you act like it has nothing to do with the situation, I do not get it.

Findog
11-18-2008, 11:58 PM
Evidently you do because you responded to my posting about him. It directly corresponded to the scenario you gave about Stackhouse and your logic about why teams would want him. But when I use a simile with Bonner you act like it has nothing to do with the situation, I do not get it.

Bass is a promising young player, and Stack is an expiring contract. Bonner has an expiring contract and is just as sucky as Stackhouse, if not more so, and the Spurs have no young talent to offer Charlotte. So, unless you had something else in mind, I don't see how your Bonner "scenario" qualifies at all.

dirk4mvp
11-19-2008, 12:00 AM
Damn dude, I'd figure you'd stop being such a dumbshit after the Manu doesn't believe in god thread, but I guess not.

DPG21920
11-19-2008, 12:01 AM
Damn dude, I'd figure you'd stop being such a dumbshit after the Manu doesn't believe in god thread, but I guess not.

that makes tons of sense. just because there is a "mob mentality" here does not mean anything. and because I say so much "dumb" shit. if all you can do is reference one thread and can give no other examples, take that weak shit else where. especially when towards the end of the thread everyone who was talking shit said they understood where i was coming from...

DPG21920
11-19-2008, 12:03 AM
Bass is a promising young player, and Stack is an expiring contract. Bonner has an expiring contract and is just as sucky as Stackhouse, if not more so, and the Spurs have no young talent to offer Charlotte. So, unless you had something else in mind, I don't see how your Bonner "scenario" qualifies at all.

I was not implying that the Spurs had more to offer, I was showing the fault of your logic saying Stack has an expiring. I already told you we all know what the Cats are looking for: a legit bigman. That is what their team needs and that is what they want. Which is why the tried to trade for Kaman earlier.

Findog
11-19-2008, 12:05 AM
I was not implying that the Spurs had more to offer, I was showing the fault of your logic saying Stack has an expiring. I already told you we all know what the Cats are looking for: a legit bigman. That is what their team needs and that is what they want. Which is why the tried to trade for Kaman earlier.

They want to dump salary first and foremost. They owe Gerald Wallace something like $40 million over 4 years. Stackhouse has a total of $9 million left on his deal. Stack saves them $31 million and they get a promising young talent in Bass who makes almost nothing. It has nothing to do with getting better in the short term. Kaman probably has more coming to him in $$ than Wallace.

DPG21920
11-19-2008, 12:05 AM

Ian Mahinmi is not more promising than Bass?

DPG21920
11-19-2008, 12:06 AM
They want to dump salary first and foremost. They owe Gerald Wallace something like $40 million over 4 years. Stackhouse has a total of $9 million left on his deal. Stack saves them $31 million and they get a promising young talent in Bass who makes almost nothing. It has nothing to do with getting better in the short term. Kaman probably has more coming to him in $$ than Wallace.

Then why did they make the trade offer for Kaman?

Findog
11-19-2008, 12:10 AM
Ian Mahinmi is not more promising than Bass?

I'd be shocked if the Spurs gave up on him after everything they've invested in him, considering the lack of young talent on the roster. And Bass has had way more minutes in the NBA and is a much more polished product than Mahinmi. How much trade value does Mahinmi really have when he's hardly set foot on the floor? He's worth more to the Spurs as a project than as a trading chip, because he hasn't done anything yet. Bass has produced for his team.

Here's Ian Mahinmi's stats for the year:

0.0 points, 0.0 rebounds, 0.0 assists in 0 minutes per game.

Here's Brandon Bass for the year:

6.5 points, 2.9 rebounds, 0.3 assists in 17 minutes per game.

Findog
11-19-2008, 12:11 AM
Then why did they make the trade offer for Kaman?

You're going to have to do better than messageboard speculation. I don't know if the Mavs and Bobcats are going to get a deal done...but it's safe to say the Bobcats are interested in dumping salary. Don't see how Kaman for Wallace solves that problem for them.

DPG21920
11-19-2008, 12:13 AM
I'd be shocked if the Spurs gave up on him after everything they've invested in him, considering the lack of young talent on the roster. And Bass has had way more minutes in the NBA and is a much more polished product than Mahinmi. How much trade value does Mahinmi really have when he's hardly set foot on the floor? He's worth more to the Spurs as a project than as a trading chip, because he hasn't done anything yet. Bass has produced for his team.

0.0 points per game, 0.0 rebounds per game, 0.0 assists per game in 0 minutes.

6.5 points per game, 2.9 rebounds per game, 0.3 assists per game in 17 minutes per game.

So by your logic, people should trade all their draft picks for anyone who has played games in the NBA? Because all draft picks 1-60 have 0 points per game, 0 rebounds per game, 0 assists per game in 0 minutes.

DPG21920
11-19-2008, 12:15 AM
You're going to have to do better than messageboard speculation. I don't know if the Mavs and Bobcats are going to get a deal done...but it's safe to say the Bobcats are interested in dumping salary. Don't see how Kaman for Wallace solves that problem for them.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-clipperfyi12-2008nov12,0,32203.story

Dunleavy said he turned down the Charlotte Bobcats when they approached the Clippers and expressed interest in Kaman.

"They got the rejection," Dunleavy said. "But they threw it out there that I almost had a dance with somebody."

Looks like a little more than "speculation". So maybe your theory about salary dumping is wrong.

Findog
11-19-2008, 12:17 AM
So by your logic, people should trade all their draft picks for anyone who has played games in the NBA? Because all draft picks 1-60 have 0 points per game, 0 rebounds per game, 0 assists per game in 0 minutes.

No, by my logic, Brandon Bass is a guy who has earned playing time in the NBA, while Ian Mahinmi couldn't get the call up from Austin when his parent club has had an aging roster for quite a well. Bass was in the NBA last year, Mahinmi was in Austin. Bass is in the NBA this year, Mahinmi is on the shelf. Maybe one day Mahinmi will be a better player than Bass, but up to this point, Bass has way more trade value than Mahinmi.

DPG21920
11-19-2008, 12:17 AM

0.0 points, 0.0 rebounds, 0.0 assists in 0 minutes per game.

6.5 points, 2.9 rebounds, 0.3 assists in 17 minutes per game.

You said the Spurs had no young talent to offer, I proved you wrong there as well. You are just speculating Ian's value, but that is impossible to know. We do know what you said was wrong though.

Findog
11-19-2008, 12:19 AM
You said the Spurs had no young talent to offer, I proved you their wrong as well.

Mahinmi has no trade value. He's a project that has done NOTHING in the NBA. Anthony Morrow probably has more trade value than Ian Mahinmi, he's actually had a good game in the NBA. They wouldn't get much for Mahinmi, they're better off continuing to develop him and THEN if he pans out, they either have a good player or a trading chip.

We do know what you said was wrong though.

No, what I'm saying is going over your head.

DPG21920
11-19-2008, 12:20 AM
No, by my logic, Brandon Bass is a guy who has earned playing time in the NBA, while Ian Mahinmi couldn't get the call up from Austin when his parent club has had an aging roster for quite a well. Bass was in the NBA last year, Mahinmi was in Austin. Bass is in the NBA this year, Mahinmi is on the shelf. Maybe one day Mahinmi will be a better player than Bass, but up to this point, Bass has way more trade value than Mahinmi.

He also was one of the stars of the d-league. The Spurs may have had an aging roster, but they had bigs and they made it to the WCF, so it is hard for any youngster to get time.

So that is what all GM's look at. You cannot say that bc Bass has played that he has more value. Upside has a lot of value and so does size and skill. If GM's think that Ian will be better than Ian is more appealing than Bass in the long term.

DPG21920
11-19-2008, 12:21 AM

Mahinmi has no trade value. He's a project that has done NOTHING in the NBA. Anthony Morrow probably has more trade value than Ian Mahinmi, he's actually had a good game in the NBA. They wouldn't get much for Mahinmi, they're better off continuing to develop him and THEN if he pans out, they either have a good player or a trading chip.

No, what I'm saying is going over your head.

No, you are wrong. So Greg Oden had no trade value last year?

Findog
11-19-2008, 12:23 AM
He also was one of the stars of the d-league.

Bass would tear up the D-League too after playing 95 games against NBA competition. Who cares?

So that is what all GM's look at. You cannot say that bc Bass has played that he has more value.

Of course I can say that, because it's the truth.

If GM's think that Ian will be better than Ian is more appealing than Bass in the long term

It's far from consensus that he will have a better career than Bass. At this point, the only thing that can safely be said is that Bass is much more polished than Mahinmi, and thus is more attractive to other teams.

Findog
11-19-2008, 12:24 AM
No, you are wrong. So Greg Oden had no trade value last year?

Greg Oden>>>>>>Ian Mahinmi. Portland didn't have any plans to stash him in the D-League for a whole season. You're losing the argument by resorting to disengenousness.

DPG21920
11-19-2008, 12:25 AM
You still did not comment on what the coach of the Clippers said and what that means for your scenario.

Findog
11-19-2008, 12:26 AM
You still did not comment on what the coach of the Clippers said and what that means for your scenario.

I don't expect coaches and executives to speak frankly about what may or may not be discussed behind closed doors, or to spell out their strategies for managing and adjusting their rosters to the media.

Last year at this time, Mark Cuban: "We love our team! Devin is the man! We wouldn't trade for Kidd in a million years!"

DPG21920
11-19-2008, 12:27 AM
Greg Oden>>>>>>Ian Mahinmi. Portland didn't have any plans to stash him in the D-League for a whole season. Your losing the argument by resorting to disengenousness.

You are trying to state opinion as fact, which is disingenuous. What I said just applied your terrible logic that you state as fact to a player that would disprove what you said.

Findog
You are trying to state opinion as fact, which is disingenuous. What I said just applied your terrible logic that you state as fact to a player that would disprove what you said.

It's not an opinion to state that Greg Oden is a much better player than Ian Mahinmi.

DPG21920
I don't expect coaches and executives to speak frankly about what may or may not be discussed behind closed doors, or to spell out their strategies for managing and adjusting their rosters to the media.

Last year at this time, Mark Cuban: "We love our team! Devin is the man! We wouldn't trade for Kidd in a million years!"

So you are saying that he made up that the Cats offered Wallace for Kaman?

DPG21920
11-19-2008, 12:29 AM
It's not an opinion to state that Greg Oden is a much better player than Ian Mahinmi.

It is opinion to say that a guy that has never played an nba minute is for certain less appealing than Bass. It could be the case, but you do not know that for sure, especially considering Ian's rare size and athletic ability.

Findog
11-19-2008, 12:31 AM
So you are saying that he made up that the Cats offered Wallace for Kaman?

I have no idea if the Cats and Clippers discussed that deal. Teams talk ALL THE TIME, and it goes nowhere, and sometimes they might be aiming their public comments at other teams in order to drive up the bidding or induce a desired reaction. Dunleavy could very well be telling the truth or it might be bluffing for a third party.

Findog
11-19-2008, 12:32 AM
It is opinion to say that a guy that has never played an nba minute is for certain less appealing than Bass. It could be the case, but you do not know that for sure, especially considering Ian's rare size and athletic ability.

And you surely can't say for certain than Mahinmi will end up having a better career than Bass. Bass is certainly the better player right now, given that he's getting minutes on an mediocre NBA team, whereas Mahinmi has never played meaningful minutes in the NBA.

DPG21920
11-19-2008, 12:33 AM
I have no idea if the Cats and Clippers discussed that deal. Teams talk ALL THE TIME, and it goes nowhere, and sometimes they might be aiming their public comments at other teams in order to drive up the bidding or induce a desired reaction. Dunleavy could very well be telling the truth or it might be bluffing for a third party.

Well if all we have to go by is what you think, what I think and what the coach of the Clippers said happened guess which way people are going to lean?

Findog
11-19-2008, 12:34 AM
Well if all we have to go by is what you think, what I think and what the coach of the Clippers said happened guess which way people are going to lean?

It's all just talk until something happens. Nobody cares what you or I think.

DPG21920
11-19-2008, 12:35 AM
And you surely can't say for certain than Mahinmi will end up having a better career than Bass. Bass is certainly the better player right now, given that he's getting minutes on an mediocre NBA team, whereas Mahinmi has never played meaningful minutes in the NBA.

I never said he is better than Bass right now. We are arguing upside. And since skilled, athletic and young bigs are usually gambled on, I would say that Ian having more trade value than Bass is just as likely as not.

DPG21920
11-19-2008, 12:36 AM
It's all just talk until something happens. Nobody cares what you or I think.

Exactly, but you keep acting like what I said (that the Cats would not want bass/stack) is so stupid, when in fact the only shred of evidence we have to go by goes completely against your argument.

Findog
11-19-2008, 12:37 AM
Exactly, but you keep acting like what I said (that the Cats would not want bass/stack) is so stupid, when in fact the only shred of evidence we have to go by goes completely against your argument.

It's not really evidence at all. I just can't take this kind of talk from a coach or an executive at face value, one way or the other as evidence of anything.

DPG21920
11-19-2008, 12:37 AM
It's not really evidence at all. I just can't talk this kind of talk from a coach or an executive at face value, one way or the other as evidence of anything.

So you are saying that the article I posted has just as much credibility as your opinion?

DPG21920
11-19-2008, 12:45 AM
Well nothing personal Findog, I just did not agree with your take, has nothing to do with you being a Mav fan!

Findog
11-19-2008, 12:47 AM
So you are saying that the article I posted has just as much credibility as your opinion?

I would say that the credibility is equal. I don't claim to 100% be right, I'm just stating my opinions. I think they tend to be logical opinions, but others might disagree.

Nothing personal, either.

Obstructed_View
11-19-2008, 12:51 AM
Matt Bonner has an expiring contract.
Unless I completely missed the definition of "expiring contract", no he doesn't.

DPG21920
11-19-2008, 12:59 AM
Unless I completely missed the definition of "expiring contract", no he doesn't.

Everyone is looking for expiring contracts in 2010, no?

Obstructed_View
11-19-2008, 01:29 AM
Everyone is looking for expiring contracts in 2010, no?

I guess. I just looked and Stack's contract expires in 2010 as well, so I guess I misunderstood what the term meant. I thought you traded for one because you'd get the guy off your payroll at the end of the season.

Findog
11-19-2008, 08:20 AM
I guess. I just looked and Stack's contract expires in 2010 as well, so I guess I misunderstood what the term meant. I thought you traded for one because you'd get the guy off your payroll at the end of the season.

Stack's compensation works out to $7 million this year and $2 million next year. So, for all intents and purposes, any team looking to dump salary woiuld probably take Stack's contract.

DPG21920
11-19-2008, 04:35 PM
Stackhouse might be stuck with Mavs
By JEFF CAPLAN
[email protected]

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Jerry Stackhouse said he gets the cycle: The old guy sacrifices minutes to aid the development of younger players for the long-term benefit of the franchise.

"When I came to Philadelphia, Jeff Malone was still a very capable player, but they basically said, 'Jeff, Jerry Stackhouse is the starting shooting guard here,’ " Stackhouse said Monday. "And he still went and played somewhere for a couple more seasons or whatnot."

Malone, an excellent scoring shooting guard, was 34 in Stackhouse’s rookie season, the same age Stackhouse is now. In fact, that 1995-96 season turned out to be Malone’s last.

Stung by injuries late in his 13-year career and traded from Philadelphia to Miami, Malone, after averaging 19 points in his career, played just 32 games that year and averaged 5.8 points.

Perhaps that finality is the greatest fear for the headstrong and prideful Stackhouse, who, virtually in the last year of his contract (the team holds an option for next season), is unwilling to accept a reduced role and Monday publicly requested to be traded or released.

He wants to resume a larger role elsewhere and pave the way for another contract. On Tuesday, Mavs owner Mark Cuban, although sympathetic to Stackhouse’s plight, said he won’t buy out the remainder of this season’s $7 million contract. He will entertain trade offers.

"Every guy wants to play," Cuban said. "And for a guy to be able to say, 'You know what, I’ll take one for the team,’ you know how hard that is for a guy?"

Going public, however, likely didn’t help agent Jeff Schwartz and Mavs president Donnie Nelson’s bargaining power. The greater issue, though, is if a larger role exists for Stackhouse with another team.

Some NBA insiders don’t believe one does.

"I’m a little surprised he thinks there’s a better situation out there," said an NBA front-office source. "I think he’s about to get a rude awakening."

Once a potent scorer, Stackhouse is struggling to put the ball in the basket, and, like Malone late in his career, injuries have taken a toll. Stackhouse played in 58 games last season and he’s out indefinitely now, he said, to rest his ailing right heel.

In eight games this season — Stackhouse has one DNP and was inactive Sunday — the career 18.5-point scorer is averaging 5.3 points and is shooting 29.1 percent.

As Stackhouse’s agent explores trade scenarios, he might find that Stackhouse’s greatest value to another team might not be his scoring potential, but rather his expiring contract.

If so, Stackhouse might find his current situation is also his best.

http://www.star-telegram.com/287/story/1046814.html

Obstructed_View
11-19-2008, 07:49 PM
Stack's compensation works out to $7 million this year and $2 million next year. So, for all intents and purposes, any team looking to dump salary woiuld probably take Stack's contract.

Yeah, that's kind of weird for a guy's final year to drop like that. How'd Jerry get himself into that one?

anakha
11-20-2008, 01:16 AM
Yeah, that's kind of weird for a guy's final year to drop like that. How'd Jerry get himself into that one?

You are talking about the guy whose mouth almost deep-sixed last year's trade, after all...

Obstructed_View
11-20-2008, 02:42 AM
You are talking about the guy whose mouth almost deep-sixed last year's trade, after all...

Exactly, which is why I just assumed he'd dome something stupid for his contract to work out like that.