PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Close, With Cigars

duncan228
11-18-2008, 12:27 PM
Jeff McDonald: Close, with cigars (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/archives/2008/11/jeff_mcdonald_c_6.html)

A few random thoughts on the Spurs, while still wondering why the good folks at Hertz thought a lone roving reporter would need a mini-van for tooling around Los Angeles (it really is impossible to look cool in a mini-van):

* Matt Bonner is right. Playing for the Spurs right now is not good for the heart. Seven of their 10 games this season -- including the past four in a row -- have come down to a final possession to either win or tie. We can only imagine what it must be like to be a Spurs fan these days. You people must be aging horribly. Just know this: Every victory the Spurs earn with Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili out, no matter how aesthetically challenged, is like gold.

* If one of these barn-burners were to come down to a free throw, the Spurs would be wise to make sure Blake Ahearn is on the floor. The former Missouri State standout is the NCAA's all-time most accurate foul shooter, finishing his four-year career at 94.6 percent.

* The Spurs have held each of their past four foes to fewer than 90 points. You will be in every game playing that way. Incidentally, the Spurs had a similar streak on two separate occasions last season.

* Raise your hand if you would have rather had Roger Mason Jr. over Corey Maggette in the free-agent season. OK, now we know which members of the Courtside audience are liars. Most Spurs fans were disappointed when Maggette rebuffed the Spurs for Golden State, but know this: With Maggette in place of Mason right now, there's a good chance the Spurs would be worse off than 5-5.

T Park
11-18-2008, 12:30 PM
I have to disagree they would be worse off with Maggette instead of Mason.

101A
11-18-2008, 12:35 PM
The former Missouri State standout is the NCAA's all-time most accurate foul shooter, finishing his four-year career at 94.6 percent

With Bones gone; that is a big deal.

z0sa
11-18-2008, 12:39 PM
I don't know if Corey Maggette would've been as good a fit during this TEAM time. He's known for isolation plays.

SenorSpur
11-18-2008, 12:40 PM
I admit I wanted Maggette over just about anybody else. In fact, I've said so since the '07 season. I was extremely disappointed when he rebuffed the Spurs for GS. Of course, I was disenchanted with the Mason signing, only because I'd never heard of him.

Based upon the results, Mason looks to be a really fine player. I have no regrets with the Spurs making this signing. Given the injuries to key players, and based upon common production of each, I can't see the Spurs being any better or worse off with either player

Borosai
11-18-2008, 12:55 PM
Jeff McDonald: Close, with cigars (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/archives/2008/11/jeff_mcdonald_c_6.html)

A few random thoughts on the Spurs, while still wondering why the good folks at Hertz thought a lone roving reporter would need a mini-van for tooling around Los Angeles (it really is impossible to look cool in a mini-van):

:rollin Where's that post listing a few alternative intros that sound just like this one?

Tully365
11-18-2008, 12:59 PM
So far:

Roger Mason
14.5 ppg
4.3 rpg
2.8 apg
1.1 spg
45.1 FG%
86.4 FT%
47.1 3PT%
35.3 mpg

Corey Maggette
17.3 ppg
6.0 rpg
2.5 apg
1.2 spg
36.4 FG%
81.8 FT%
14.3 3PT%
35.0 mpg

Maggette has a slight edge production-wise, but Mason has been much more efficient.

wildbill2u
11-18-2008, 01:02 PM
The former Missouri State standout is the NCAA's all-time most accurate foul shooter, finishing his four-year career at 94.6 percent

With Bones gone; that is a big deal.

Actually, it isn't. When the game comes down to the end and we need a goal or free throw the ball is usually in Manu's hands because he can make his own shot or get fouled.

I don't see Pop putting a rookie in at the end of a close game to see if he can draw a foul. Refs are notorius about not giving rookies the call. If Ahearn can play well enough to earn a regular spot on the floor, then maybe he'll be left in the game at the end.

Manufan909
11-18-2008, 01:16 PM
Actually, it isn't. When the game comes down to the end and we need a goal or free throw the ball is usually in Manu's hands because he can make his own shot or get fouled.

I don't see Pop putting a rookie in at the end of a close game to see if he can draw a foul. Refs are notorius about not giving rookies the call. If Ahearn can play well enough to earn a regular spot on the floor, then maybe he'll be left in the game at the end.

Fucker reminds me of the days when JV was DNP, cuz Tony and hill were getting all of the minutes. Wish they'd brought in Watkins, The bigs department is still the achilles heel. Hill and Mason can play more than half of the PG minutes, but tim stands alone when you're talking about respectable bigs on this team.

MoSpur
11-18-2008, 01:26 PM
I have to admit I wanted Maggette. I was okay with the Mason signing, but didn't think he would be this much help this early. I'm glad he is.

Ghazi
11-18-2008, 01:30 PM
Mason will cool off. 47% from behind the arc? Yeah right.

Flux451
11-18-2008, 01:37 PM
So far:

Roger Mason
14.5 ppg
4.3 rpg
2.8 apg
1.1 spg
45.1 FG%
86.4 FT%
47.1 3PT%
35.3 mpg

Corey Maggette
17.3 ppg
6.0 rpg
2.5 apg
1.2 spg
36.4 FG%
81.8 FT%
14.3 3PT%
35.0 mpg

Maggette has a slight edge production-wise, but Mason has been much more efficient.

I'd pick a guy shooting 47% compared to 14% anyday. Especially since they are averaging similiar numbers. Probably means Maggette is shooting more bricks.

I like Mason. Def a Spur!

crc21209
11-18-2008, 01:42 PM
That and add to the fact that Maggette has already missed games this yr also.

Bartleby
11-18-2008, 02:15 PM
Mason's value when factoring in his contract >>>>>>>>>> Maggette's

Tully365
11-18-2008, 03:00 PM
Mason's value when factoring in his contract >>>>>>>>>> Maggette's

So true.... Mason, Hill, Mahinmi, and Udoka combined will make less than Maggette this year.

Bender
11-18-2008, 03:08 PM
so far, with us, he's 50% right? :(

Hemotivo
11-18-2008, 03:08 PM
* If one of these barn-burners were to come down to a free throw, the Spurs would be wise to make sure Blake Ahearn is on the floor. The former Missouri State standout is the NCAA's all-time most accurate foul shooter, finishing his four-year career at 94.6 percent.

amazing :wow

SenorSpur
11-18-2008, 03:09 PM
So far:

Roger Mason
14.5 ppg
4.3 rpg
2.8 apg
1.1 spg
45.1 FG%
86.4 FT%
47.1 3PT%
35.3 mpg

Corey Maggette
17.3 ppg
6.0 rpg
2.5 apg
1.2 spg
36.4 FG%
81.8 FT%
14.3 3PT%
35.0 mpg

Thanks for the comparative info. I figured it was close to a wash. Also, I agree with some of the others, who feel Mason should continue to start, even when Manu and TP return.

Hemotivo
11-18-2008, 03:10 PM
:rollin Where's that post listing a few alternative intros that sound just like this one?

I like how he always points out that he's doing something else other than sitting down to write when he's pounding out these 'great' articles:

"Random thoughts while standing around the baggage claim"

"The football game sucks here in California, and since I was actually up by 10am I thought I'd jot down something on the Spurs"

Here's some ideas on how he can open his next few postings:

"I'm just sitting here at the moment (it's obvious I need some more roughage in my diet) and so I thought I'd write a bit on the Spurs. At least I've got a lot of paper handy."

"The waitress just brought out my toast, and I saw the image of Greg Popovich on it and it made me really contemplate his coaching style."

"I just was involved in a hit and run, and I thought I'd type out a few thoughts on my I-Phone as I chase the guy who hit me through the neighborhood."

"My wife's in labor, but her contractions are still 2 minutes apart so I thought I'd use that down time to comment on the Spurs-Clippers matchup."

:lol

honestfool84
11-18-2008, 03:13 PM
Mason will cool off. 47% from behind the arc? Yeah right.

at least you hope so.

Spurs Brazil
11-18-2008, 03:23 PM
Mason is playing very well. I thought it'd take a while for him to fit in the system but he's doing a fantastic job

Borosai
11-18-2008, 03:50 PM
:lol

:D Thanks.

mrspurs
11-18-2008, 09:03 PM
Noway....Id still take Cory over Roger. We have no idea how Cory woulda played in a spurs uniform. Not that I trust the FO, but they wanted Cory more then Roger for a reason. As it turns out, Roger is playing quite well. But whos to say Cory wouldnt be playing even better.

mystargtr34
11-18-2008, 09:39 PM
The difference is Maggette gets to the free-throw line more than anyone in the league other than probly LeBron, Dwight and Wade. He puts alot of pressure on defenses because of that throughout the game.

But Mason is a much better long range shooter.

exstatic
11-18-2008, 10:11 PM
The difference is Maggette gets to the free-throw line more than anyone in the league other than probly LeBron, Dwight and Wade. He puts alot of pressure on defenses because of that throughout the game.
Wearing the Spurs uni is pretty much kryptonite to trips to the FT line.

That's what we need to space the floor for Tim.

Another thing is that I think Maggette would have caused problems when he got fewer touches later when the big guns came back. His MO has always been pretty much immature and a bit on the selfish side.

angelbelow
11-18-2008, 10:31 PM
ofcousre we would be worst off, maggette was injured for liked 5 games already.

Obstructed_View
11-18-2008, 10:41 PM
I didn't know who Roger Mason was, and I'd have rather had him on the team than Maggette.

DPG21920
11-18-2008, 10:48 PM
How can yall not know who Roger Mason was before we signed him? He was playing so well last year.

jmard5
11-18-2008, 11:14 PM
So far:

I think Maggette is also nursing an injury right now. I bet the sky would be falling if Maggette became a Spur and then would be sidelined along with Manu and Tony.

Duncan would be really lonely out there in the court.

Obstructed_View
11-18-2008, 11:27 PM
How can yall not know who Roger Mason was before we signed him? He was playing so well last year.

Probably because I wouldn't watch a Wizards game unless they were playing the Spurs. If you don't have League Pass, the only chance to see him was the playoffs, and he had one sort of good game before they were eliminated.

SpurSupremacist
11-19-2008, 02:51 AM
Maggette > Mason, that is obvious. Can't believe it's even being discussed.

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-19-2008, 06:45 AM

Certainly not on this year's production.

I wanted Maggette this summer, and like many didn't know much about Mason, other than the fact that Pop liked him a lot and had offered him a contract the previous summer. But right now I think Maggette going to GS might have been a blessing in disguise, Roger seems like the much better fit to our system. Besides Maggette's production depends much more on having the ball in his hands and iso's, which ultimately would mean less touches for the big 3, whereas Mason doesn't rely too much on having the ball in his hands often and is awesome on the pick and roll with Duncan and as a shooter when Duncan is doubled, which are all things Maggette wouldn't have helped with.

mrspurs
11-19-2008, 07:19 AM

And we all know how much the spurs love 3 point shooters.

mrspurs
11-19-2008, 07:20 AM

+1