Rummpd
02-21-2005, 10:28 PM
www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7005052/page/2/

You won't call Spurs boring in June
Team has offense, defense,and work ethic to win title againCOMMENTARY
By Michael Ventre
NBCSports.com contributor
Updated: 10:54 p.m. ET Feb. 20, 2005

They’re not sexy. They’re not flashy. Their names rarely grace the police blotter, and if they do, it’s usually for something like parking too close to a hydrant.

They don’t sell a lot of shoes to kids. They don’t woof or pose, and they rarely posterize. There might be a tattoo or two in their midst, but if so, there’s a better than average chance the word “Mom” is involved.

These are the San Antonio Spurs. And when they win the NBA championship in June, they won’t shimmy, shake, sashay, mug, punk out or otherwise indulge in a barrage of obnoxious gestures more appropriate for a Grammys afterparty.

They’ll celebrate with class, then begin preparing for next season.

The Spurs will win not because they’re boring, but because they’re the best.

Besides, boring is in the eyes of the beholder, and if any beholders out there view the Spurs as boring, it’s because they probably drank the “SportsCenter” Kool Aid and believe good basketball consists of retributive dunks, one-on-four fast breaks and the dropping of “fitty” on a foe.

These Spurs are practitioners of teamwork, an archaic term unearthed by noted hoopologist Gregg Popovich. While many of his colleagues in the hardwood community have been victimized by intrafranchise turf wars (see Kobe and Shaq), welfare for the elderly and infirm (see Latrell Sprewell and Sam Cassell) and good old-fashioned dysfunction (see Denver, Houston and Detroit, at least through the early part of the first half), Popovich’s charges have been marching quietly and confidently toward their destiny.

Defense wins championships. That’s an oath the coaching fraternity has sworn to uphold, and there is no better example than the Spurs. Year in and year out, they are among the NBA leaders in stinginess. Thus far this season, they have allowed opponents an average of 86 points per game, ranking No. 1 in that category.

Defense is a mindset that must be cultivated. Throughout the year, some clubs play permissive defense, figuring they’ll crack down in the postseason when they absolutely have to. But if a team doesn’t work on communication and rotation during the regular season, it will probably be rusty come playoff time and therefore unable to flick the switch.

The Spurs have no such problem. Defense is as much a part of their fabric as the black on their uniforms. Popovich demands it throughout the year, much as Larry Brown does in Detroit, although that merry wanderer has had less to beam about this year in that department. When the playoffs begin, the Spurs are in full denial mode — deny the ball into the post, deny the perimeter jumper, deny the opponent an opportunity to win.

Along with defense comes a wealth of offensive firepower, led by Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili. Duncan remains one of the best big men in the game, and if not for sudden impact makers like Steve Nash, LeBron James and maybe Shaq, would be in the MVP race with 21 points, 12 boards and almost three blocks per game.

As Duncan goes, so go the Spurs. Because he already has two NBA championship rings, and still feels the sting of being smothered by the Lakers in last year’s Western Conference semifinals, he’ll go after the title like the FCC goes after an exposed breast.

Competition? Of course there will be competition. And as opposed to previous years, where the West was a minefield and the Finals against an East representative was an all-you-can-eat buffet by comparison, the picture is fuzzier this season.

The Spurs had figured to be challenged in the West by the Minnesota Timberwolves, but it is unlikely that their core problem – desultory efforts by Sprewell and Cassell, who have chosen cash over jewelry — will disappear over the remainder of the season.

It appears the Spurs’ most serious challenges will come from the Phoenix Suns and Seattle SuperSonics, with lesser nods to the Sacramento Kings and Houston Rockets. The Spurs have it over the Suns and Sonics when it comes to playoff experience, and they are more balanced than those clubs.

The Kings have been under the heat lamp of the postseason before, but they are not formidable enough overall and may have missed their window of opportunity. The Rockets? Who knows? They entered the break having won eight in a row, but while they have a nice inside-outside combination in Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady, they don’t have the supporting cast to take the Spurs to a Game 7, or even 6.

In the East, it appears to be a duel between the Pistons and Heat. Detroit looked lethargic early on, but probably will remember around mid-April or so that they’re the defending NBA champions, pride will kick in, and they’ll embrace the goal of repeating in earnest. Miami just added Alonzo Mourning, who will help spell Shaq, which means Shaq can take off even more nights than he does now. But it also means that he’ll be fresh and determined when the playoffs start, not good news for the rest of the East.

Anything can happen, of course. A key Spur could go down. The Suns and Sonics, determined to prove they’re for real, just might prove it after all. Shaq might be so motivated toward vengeance against Kobe and the Lakers that he’ll do for this edition of the Heat what Moses Malone did for the ’82-’83 Sixers. The T-Wolves could promise Sprewell and Cassell that every time they made a basket, they could collect $1,000 from interim coach Kevin McHale, which would lead to the shattering of every scoring record on the books.

Right now, the Spurs have the unmistakable look of champions, by using sweat instead of glitter.

E20
02-21-2005, 10:32 PM
fitty on a foe:lol

exstatic
02-21-2005, 10:48 PM
Nice. :lol

PM5K
02-21-2005, 11:45 PM
I haven't read the whole article yet but:

"They’re not sexy. They’re not flashy."

Are you kidding me, Manu is about as flashy as they get and Tony was named one of People's 50 most beautiful....

ducks
02-21-2005, 11:46 PM
this forum should be renamed "spursalltalk"
:rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes

actually the wolves are all talk
spurs would rather not talk to the press

LakerGod
02-22-2005, 12:13 AM
LOL :lol

I'm surprised!

Didn't Ventre predict the Kings to win the title in 2002? exact same words back then just added a different team in this article this time, the only difference is he didn't call the Kings boring or not flashy or not sexy or whatever.......

Ventre = Just another delusional writer.

Not long ago this is the same writer who was bashing the spurs on a regular basis, Laker bandwagon, then a King bandwagon and now a spursie bandwagon.

Always off on whatever he writes.

Extra Stout
02-22-2005, 11:37 AM
Oh, crap, now Michael Ventre's jumping on the bandwagon. There has never been a more front-running clown than that tool.

Sheyitt.

People, just because he's stating the obvious about the Spurs doesn't mean that he has ceased to be an asshat.

FromWayDowntown
02-22-2005, 11:45 AM
I find it funny that a national writer who picks the Spurs is "delusional," while the same writer, in picking the Lakers would no doubt be "right on target." I love nothing more than principled opinions of sports journalists.

I think Ventre makes a good argument, but I think he has overlooked the Mavericks as a contender in the West. That Dallas team is getting better by the game and is looking more and more formidable as a playoff opponent. Shouldn't be long before lakerfraud and wolves009seed are both jumping with mouse onto the Mavericks bandwagon . . . or the Rockets . . . or the Suns . . . or the Sonics . . . .

Extra Stout
02-22-2005, 12:44 PM
I find it funny that a national writer who picks the Spurs is "delusional," while the same writer, in picking the Lakers would no doubt be "right on target." I love nothing more than principled opinions of sports journalists.We Spurs fans do the same thing. When Ventre was writing articles about the woodies he got watching Shaq and Kobe, and dissing the Spurs, he was roundly derided as a Cali-centric moron. Now that he is gumming Tim and Manu, all of a sudden he is some kind of authority.

I say he is the same fair-weather know-nothing dweebus he always has been.

FromWayDowntown
02-22-2005, 01:04 PM
We Spurs fans do the same thing. When Ventre was writing articles about the woodies he got watching Shaq and Kobe, and dissing the Spurs, he was roundly derided as a Cali-centric moron. Now that he is gumming Tim and Manu, all of a sudden he is some kind of authority.

I agree. I take any opinion with a grain of salt, and Ventre has given me no reason to be anything other than reluctant to accept his. He and I share a viewpoint on this issue, but I think that's more coincidence than similar thinking. As my earlier post indicates, I can't see how anyone can analyze the West at this point and not consider Dallas to be a threat to make a deep run. Ventre makes no mention of the Mavs, which automatically makes me question his analysis (though, again, I agree with his conclusion).

I was just amused by how LakerFan, once accepting of Ventre's opinion, is now taken to calling him "delusional" because he has a different opinion in a new season.

exstatic
02-22-2005, 01:30 PM
Doesn't that describe most of the NBA media...er, pundits?

LakerGod
02-22-2005, 10:02 PM
LOL :lol