PDA

View Full Version : UT Names Muschamp to be their next Head Coach

MajorMike
11-18-2008, 04:57 PM
You heard it here 1st

tonylongoriafan
11-18-2008, 05:03 PM
freakin awesome...i thought applewhite was too inexperienced to take the head job and thought mack would leave before he was ready...but this is probably the best case scenario for Texas.

redraiderinfiji
11-18-2008, 05:09 PM
damn, i wanted applewhite.

Blake
11-18-2008, 05:26 PM
......when Mack Brown steps down in the year 2030.....

Blake
11-18-2008, 05:27 PM
You heard it here 1st

is this official or your guess?

because if it's a guess, you sure as hell aren't the first person saying it

chode_regulator
11-18-2008, 05:27 PM
interesting.....

that is all

chode_regulator
11-18-2008, 05:29 PM
......when Mack Brown steps down in the year 2030.....

yeah i thought of paterno and bowden and had a flash of an 80 yr old brown still coaching. and muschamp the oldest defensive coordinator on the sidelines.

is this official or your guess?

because if it's a guess, you sure as hell aren't the first person saying it

pretty sure hes talking about on this forum and it being official

Sausage
11-18-2008, 05:52 PM
Muschamp to remain at Texas

Assistant coach to remain as Defensive Coordinator and eventually succeed Mack Brown as head coach.

Click here for a printer friendly version Printer-Friendly Format

Click here to email to a friend E-mail this article

Nov. 18, 2008

The University of Texas has struck an agreement with Defensive Coordinator Will Muschamp that will keep him in Austin and eventually lead him to the head coaching position for the Longhorns, Athletics Director DeLoss Dodds said on Tuesday. Details of the contract are still being finalized but it will start with Muschamp's salary being raised to $900,000 on January 1, 2009.

"This is a plan that has been enthusiastically agreed to by Mack Brown, President Powers and the Board of Regents," Dodds said. "With the landscape in college football and all of the changes around the country, I've been looking at this for the last couple of years. When it's not working, you have to go outside and make changes. Things are going well here, it's working, so it's best to be prepared to build from inside and that's what we're doing.

"Mack has provided outstanding leadership and continues to elevate our football program to a level as high as anyone in the country. We hope he stays a long time and he will be our coach as long as he wants, but this assures us that when the time comes, we have the right guy to step up into that position and continue to build on the great things we're accomplishing."

Muschamp joined the Longhorns this season after highly successful stints at Auburn, LSU and in the NFL with the Miami Dolphins. As defensive coordinator, he helped LSU claim a National Championship in 2004. He was a finalist for the Broyles Award (nation's top assistant coach) in 2007.

"This is first and foremost about keeping Will at Texas," Brown said. "He's had several opportunities to interview for head coaching jobs, but we wanted him to stay here. I'm going to continue coaching as I'm enjoying it. I have eight years left on my contract, I am not thinking at all about moving on, it's simply that I think Will is a great young coach, a perfect fit for this place and he wants to stay. Nothing will change in our structure. He will continue in his role as defensive coordinator and when the time comes, will be ready to step in and take over the program.

"Everything we've talked about since we've been here, the premise of our program, has been about family. This is about family. When at some point I do step away, the fans can be assured the program can continue like it is. It will not miss a beat because the family will continue. Will believes in all the same principles we believe in. This assures recruits, our coaches and our players that Texas football will just keep on rolling."

Muschamp's Longhorn defense is leading the Big 12 in rushing defense (82.5 ypg/25th NCAA) and scoring defense (19.5 ppg/25th NCAA). UT ranks second nationally with four sacks per game. The Horns have held all of their Big 12 opponents below their season scoring average and limited six foes to 14 points or less.

"I was really excited when they presented the opportunity to me," Muschamp said. "I'm not in any hurry to be a head coach and hope Coach Brown's around for many more years. I'm just glad I'm going to be able to stay at Texas. This is the top program in the country, my family loves it here and there's no better person to watch and learn from about running a football program than Coach Brown.

"President Powers, DeLoss Dodds, the administration and the leadership at Texas are outstanding. Coach Brown and a great support staff are in place. I've really enjoyed the kids in our program and everyone I've been around here. Texas has all the resources, facilities and a great recruiting base. It is the elite program in the country. No disrespect to any of the other places I've worked, but this is a really special place."

A native of Rome, Ga., and 1994 graduate of Georgia, he was four-year lettermen at safety for the Bulldogs (1991-94). He was selected as defensive co-captain as a senior and was a part of two bowl teams. He also earned a spot on the SEC Academic Honor Roll in 1993.

"When I first came here in January and my wife, Carol, and boys, Jackson and Whit, stayed back in Auburn, I got such a great feel for the community and people. When Carol and the kids moved here in May, they fell in love with Austin. If I would have left, I would have left on my own because she was staying here. She really loves the community and the people, and our kids love their schools. It's just a special place and somewhere I want to be for a long time.

"I really appreciate the confidence that President Powers, DeLoss Dodds, the Board of Regents and Coach Brown have in me. I hope Coach Brown is here for a long time and look forward to continuing to coach our defense, learning from him and eventually carrying on the outstanding Texas tradition."

Credit: www.texassports.com

KewlKat00
11-18-2008, 05:53 PM
has mack even hinted at how long he will coach?

CubanSucks
11-18-2008, 10:44 PM
This is fucking bad ass. Muschamp is the kind of no bullshit coach that Texas will need after Mack Brown leaves. Now wait for tomorrows episodes of Around the Horn and PTI the topic is gonna be "should Texas have waited and given an 'african american' a chance before hiring.

Whisky Dog
11-18-2008, 11:15 PM
In theory this will allow Brown to connect Muschamp to his established Texas HS connections and keep that big time recruit pipeline flowing. I'm damn excited that Will is going to coach the defense for the forseeable future. He has seemed to have an effect on Mack and has given an edge to the entire team.

leemajors
11-19-2008, 08:50 AM
sweet it will be nice to see him perform on the sidelines for years to come, if nothing else. i love his enthusiasm

purist
11-19-2008, 01:48 PM
I think it's a good move, but does not guarantee success. Back when Royal was counting down his days to retirement, he wanted David McWilliams to be his successor. I didn't fly though. when McWilliams finally did get his shot after Akers, he pretty much fell flat on his face as a head coach. Some coaches are better as coordinators than heads.

So, great move for the short term for recruiting, continuity, etc. Long term? we'll have to wait and see.

Mack has 8 years on his contract left. Conventional wisdom says if Dodds retires, Mack may move into the AD spot.

BTW, I too thought that some day Major would get a shot at head coach. At this point, I'm hoping he succeeds Greg Davis....like yesterday.

samikeyp
11-19-2008, 01:52 PM
I think it's a good move, but does not guarantee success. Back when Royal was counting down his days to retirement, he wanted David McWilliams to be his successor. I didn't fly though. when McWilliams finally did get his shot after Akers, he pretty much fell flat on his face as a head coach. Some coaches are better as coordinators than heads.

So, great move for the short term for recruiting, continuity, etc. Long term? we'll have to wait and see.

Mack has 8 years on his contract left. Conventional wisdom says if Dodds retires, Mack may move into the AD spot.

BTW, I too thought that some day Major would get a shot at head coach. At this point, I'm hoping he succeeds Greg Davis....like yesterday.

I heard Tim Griffin this morning talking to Colin Cowherd and he mentioned that. I think that would be great. And I am with you on Major as well. Greg Davis needs to get the hell out.

Blake
11-19-2008, 02:09 PM
it's definitely a smart move by UT to tell Muschamp that they want him, and $900,000 is a very nice chunk of change to be an assistant.....

but getting $2.5- $3 mill to be head coach at Tennessee would be even nicer.

That's a whole lot of money that Muschamp is giving up.

tonylongoriafan
11-19-2008, 03:08 PM
it's definitely a smart move by UT to tell Muschamp that they want him, and $900,000 is a very nice chunk of change to be an assistant.....

effin' rocky top cocksuckers...they're gonna offer too. them or someone else and it's going to be really hard for willie to turn down a similar job with 3x the pay...

...i just hope texas doesn't get into what the cowboys have done...seriously, who would feel comfortable with jason garret taking over next season?

J.T.
11-19-2008, 03:08 PM

Texas fan or not, it's nice to see a coach take a contract because they like their job and not because the contract entitles them to the most money they could get.

leemajors
11-19-2008, 03:33 PM
In theory this will allow Brown to connect Muschamp to his established Texas HS connections and keep that big time recruit pipeline flowing. I'm damn excited that Will is going to coach the defense for the forseeable future. He has seemed to have an effect on Mack and has given an edge to the entire team.

good points. and, it will create a stable environment for recruits - if mack does happen to step down, they know who will succeed him. not that mack would ever bolt like some other coaches, but it's nice to know what will happen.

CubanSucks
11-19-2008, 04:42 PM
I heard Tim Griffin this morning talking to Colin Cowherd and he mentioned that. I think that would be great. And I am with you on Major as well. Greg Davis needs to get the hell out.

Yeah because everyone knows how crappy Texas' offense has been lately :rolleyes

samikeyp
11-19-2008, 05:22 PM
Greg Davis' conservative play calling has cost the Horns over his tenure. 2005 and this year have been the exception rather than the rule. IMO, Major is still better.

Kermit
11-19-2008, 05:25 PM
Greg Davis' conservative play calling has cost the Horns over his tenure. 2005 and this year have been the exception rather than the rule. IMO, Major is still better.

With the anomaly this year being Major's presence on the sideline. My, what a coincidence.

While Greg has done a much better job this year, I was reminded of how much I hated him when a replay of the 2003 Texas/Tech game aired on FSSW.

purist
11-19-2008, 08:39 PM

True dat.

IMO, Davis would be gone if not for VY saving him. He didn't have to coach at all with VInce there. That bought him time. Now Major comes in and brings an infusion of fresh perspective. Davis escapes again.

CubanSucks
11-20-2008, 02:07 AM
True dat.

IMO, Davis would be gone if not for VY saving him. He didn't have to coach at all with VInce there. That bought him time. Now Major comes in and brings an infusion of fresh perspective. Davis escapes again.

Ok well you can say that for ANY offensive coordinator for a good team. I mean when does all the credit ever go to the OC? Behind every successfull offense and OC is a playmaker. No OC is good enough to lead an offense without a lot of talent.

purist
11-20-2008, 01:11 PM
Ok well you can say that for ANY offensive coordinator for a good team. I mean when does all the credit ever go to the OC? Behind every successfull offense and OC is a playmaker. No OC is good enough to lead an offense without a lot of talent.

If memory serves, prior to VY there was a upswelling among boosters for Davis' firing. I truly believe VY saved his job, although Mack is tremendously loyal to his staff and probably would have fought it. The issue with Davis is that in the past there is a sense that he mismanaged the offense based on the talent he had. VY broke the mold and forced Davis to acquiesce to his style ... read and react.

Blake
11-20-2008, 02:45 PM
No OC is good enough to lead an offense without a lot of talent.

sure.

sincerely,
Mike Leach

The Reckoning
11-20-2008, 02:49 PM
i like the emphasis that UT puts on coaching loyalty :tu

not many universities can attest to that

Blake
11-20-2008, 05:33 PM
i like the emphasis that UT puts on coaching loyalty :tu

not many universities can attest to that

I think they are more tired of losing asst coaches to head jobs elsewhere and Muschamp certainly would have been a hot hire for someone.

cash459
11-20-2008, 05:41 PM
I think they are more tired of losing asst coaches to head jobs elsewhere and Muschamp certainly would have been a hot hire for someone.

agreed.

Someone would have definitely made a bid for him & the ut wouldve had to fork out even more money than they are now.

purist
11-20-2008, 06:24 PM
agreed.

Someone would have definitely made a bid for him & the ut wouldve had to fork out even more money than they are now.

Someone still might.

CubanSucks
11-20-2008, 08:19 PM
sure.

sincerely,
Mike Leach

Are you fucking kidding me? So Michael Crabtree and Graham Harrell were nobodys until they got to Tx Tech? Danny Amendola and Wes Welker sucked as well I'm guessing. Nice try.

CubanSucks
11-20-2008, 08:23 PM
If memory serves, prior to VY there was a upswelling among boosters for Davis' firing. I truly believe VY saved his job, although Mack is tremendously loyal to his staff and probably would have fought it. The issue with Davis is that in the past there is a sense that he mismanaged the offense based on the talent he had. VY broke the mold and forced Davis to acquiesce to his style ... read and react.

Well no shit VY saved him. Like I said, behind every good offensive coordinator are good playmakers.

cash459
11-20-2008, 09:28 PM
Are you fucking kidding me? So Michael Crabtree and Graham Harrell were nobodys until they got to Tx Tech? Danny Amendola and Wes Welker sucked as well I'm guessing. Nice try.

texas wanted to recruit Crabtree as a DB....so they obviously didnt see the talent

samikeyp
11-20-2008, 09:53 PM
texas wanted to recruit Crabtree as a DB....so they obviously didnt see the talent

oops. :lol

cash459
11-20-2008, 09:59 PM
oops. :lol

exactly! :lol

Blake
11-21-2008, 09:16 AM

ehh.......is it even worth the effort to explain?

Nobody is saying that Tech never has had talent, but the five star prospects come along once in a blue moon and the four star prospects are few and far between.....

every year Tech is at the top of the passing/yardage charts using a bunch of 3 star athletes

cash459
11-21-2008, 01:39 PM

Nobody is saying that Tech never has had talent, but the five star prospects come along once in a blue moon and the four star prospects are few and far between.....

every year Tech is at the top of the passing/yardage charts using a bunch of 3 star athletes

:clap :toast they do more with less....

purist
11-21-2008, 05:10 PM
Well no shit VY saved him. Like I said, behind every good offensive coordinator are good playmakers.

I'm telling you Davis didn't have to scheme with VY in the lineup like he had to before. Good offensive coordinators get the most out of mediocre or average talent by putting them in the most advantageous schemes. Bad offensive coordinators take exceptional talent and produce average results.

The offense with VY was basically snap it to 10 in the shotgun and let him read and react. but only VY could pull it off. If anything, VY's legacy is that he showed Davis that sometimes its best to take your hands off the reins and let players do what they do best.

CubanSucks
11-21-2008, 08:12 PM

Only because it's in a system

CubanSucks
11-21-2008, 08:16 PM

Wrong. They just saw his talent in a different position. Due to Tech's system they'll try anybody at WR. You're really telling me Texas' coaching staff wouldn't have seen his WR ability?

CubanSucks
11-21-2008, 08:22 PM
I'm telling you Davis didn't have to scheme with VY in the lineup like he had to before. Good offensive coordinators get the most out of mediocre or average talent by putting them in the most advantageous schemes. Bad offensive coordinators take exceptional talent and produce average results.

The offense with VY was basically snap it to 10 in the shotgun and let him read and react. but only VY could pull it off. If anything, VY's legacy is that he showed Davis that sometimes its best to take your hands off the reins and let players do what they do best.

If you really think there was no scheme in the VY Texas offense then you haven't been around the sport much. It seems to me that you think the WRs just ran around with no routes and if there were then VY designed them all. And I haven't even got to the blocking schemes yet. But I'm guessing that has nothing to do with the OC either?

mookie2001
11-21-2008, 08:34 PM
texas wanted to recruit Crabtree

they WANTED to recruit him or they did?

The Reckoning
11-21-2008, 08:56 PM
lol
tech gets texas' sloppy seconds

cash459
11-21-2008, 09:48 PM
they WANTED to recruit him or they did?

wanted; he plays for Tech, in case you didnt know

cash459
11-21-2008, 09:51 PM
Wrong. They just saw his talent in a different position. Due to Tech's system they'll try anybody at WR. You're really telling me Texas' coaching staff wouldn't have seen his WR ability?

im not wrong, that is what they wanted to recruit him for. so if they did see his ability at WR & knew what he could do, why in the hell would you play him at a totally different position?? so if they did see the ability, why not play him there? he is LEAPS & BOUNDS ahead of ANY WR on ut's roster. thats like saying youre going to take (in the case of ut, Orakpo & make him a DE b/c he is quick & reacts well)

cash459
11-21-2008, 09:51 PM
lol
tech gets texas' sloppy seconds

who might that be?

mookie2001
11-21-2008, 11:42 PM
wanted; he plays for Tech, in case you didnt knowmarriott

texas recruits a lot of players that end up on other teams, ive never heard of them WANTING to recruit a player, they either do or dont

j-6
11-22-2008, 12:00 AM
Somebody that follows recruiting more closely correct me if I am wrong, but I thought UT wanted him to play DB. (He was Dallas Carter's QB for two years and was looked at as an 'athlete'.) OU did the same thing.

He said no to that pretty early in the process and the Horns and the Sooners focused elsewhere.

leemajors
11-22-2008, 01:58 AM
Somebody that follows recruiting more closely correct me if I am wrong, but I thought UT wanted him to play DB. (He was Dallas Carter's QB for two years and was looked at as an 'athlete'.) OU did the same thing.

He said no to that pretty early in the process and the Horns and the Sooners focused elsewhere.

:tu

CubanSucks
11-22-2008, 04:52 AM
im not wrong, that is what they wanted to recruit him for. so if they did see his ability at WR & knew what he could do, why in the hell would you play him at a totally different position?? so if they did see the ability, why not play him there? he is LEAPS & BOUNDS ahead of ANY WR on ut's roster. thats like saying youre going to take (in the case of ut, Orakpo & make him a DE b/c he is quick & reacts well)

so any waty i'm drunk and i'tll respond to you in a little wile but anything i'll respond to you but untill then you can KEEP THIS ARGUEMENT FRESH!! I'TLL KICK YOUR'E ASS LATER??

cash459
11-22-2008, 12:43 PM
marriott

texas recruits a lot of players that end up on other teams, ive never heard of them WANTING to recruit a player, they either do or dont

allow me to word it better for you then. They TRIED to recruit him, but did not succeed. better?

CubanSucks
11-22-2008, 04:34 PM

Maybe because he never got there? But if he had gone to Texas you can believe he would have been spotted out as WR talent. And now i've completely forgot how this is relevant to the original argument. Bottom line, Muschamp will kick ass and whining about Greg Davis has become a fad for spoiled Texas fans.

Spurtacus
11-22-2008, 09:08 PM
Muschamp will be waiting for a while. Best news about this is he'll be our D coordinator for several more years.