PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on our beloved Mavs tonight

Ghazi
11-18-2008, 09:27 PM
Our beloved Mavs beat the Bobcats 100-83. took care of business against a bad team w/ its best player out like we should. 15-0 lead to start game and it was double digits throughout.

We did a lot of good things, but since Charlotte is bad, lets scrutinize some problems:

1. Turnovers, too many. Kidd more points less turnovers please.

2. Defense. Charlotte shot under 40% and only scored 83 points, but I just don't like the positioning/discipline. Agustin torched us.

3. Perimeter shooting- Okay, we don't have great slashers or a low post threat, so can we ATLEAST be a good 3-PT shooting team? 31% coming in, don't have the stats for tonight, but it wasn't great based on what I saw. Terry and Howard, is it too much to ask for them to atleast be above average from behind the arc? Both were 40%+ 3 years ago. That's fluky, but how about the 36-38% range atleast?

Curiosities:

Diop didn't play, Singleton/Williams got extended minutes. Will we ever see Stackhouse in a Mavs uniform ever again? I expect George to get minutes when he gets healthy, and I wouldn't mind it too much to be honest.

Howard has played well lately and is having a nice year. 20/9 averages coming in. Contrary to popular belief, I think he HAS been playing like a legitimate #2 option. Dirk of course is a legitimate #1, I think JET has to fulfill his role as the #3 scorer. 41% shooting coming in, just not gonna cut it.

We'll see how we do versus a shorthanded Houston tommorow. They have great depth and defense, so it'll be a tough game regardless of their injuries

Conclusions:

1. less turnovers
2. better perimeter shooting
3. better defense

:lobt2:

sribb43
11-18-2008, 09:40 PM
No Stack and Diop + Dirk gettin to the line + J-Ho playing effeciently = Mavs W

monosylab1k
11-18-2008, 10:16 PM
Good to see Shawne Williams getting some playing time.

So far they've beaten the T-Wolves, Knicks, Bobcats, and a hurt/out of sync Spurs team. Unimpressive.

Beat the Rockets and maybe I'll regain a little faith.

monosylab1k
11-18-2008, 10:17 PM
and the day Devean George gets back in the lineup will be a sad, sad day indeed.

I'd much rather see Green/Williams/Wright get all those minutes. The last thing we need is Dick Breath out there.

de Soto
11-18-2008, 10:27 PM
Thoughts? They sucked on a slightly lesser level than previously. But I'm sure it is just a matter of time when they'll suck again like the real Mavericks.

Seriously though, the Mavs and their season is SOOOOO over it is not even funny. No playoffs for this team. I'm sure AJ is laughing his ass off to their monumental failure of a season. And rightly so, I might add.

peskypesky
11-18-2008, 10:36 PM
Thoughts? They sucked on a slightly lesser level than previously. But I'm sure it is just a matter of time when they'll suck again like the real Mavericks.

Seriously though, the Mavs and their season is SOOOOO over it is not even funny. No playoffs for this team. I'm sure AJ is laughing his ass off to their monumental failure of a season. And rightly so, I might add.

I hope you're right, cause I hate the Mavs and Cuban with a fierce passion, but boy are you jumping the gun here. The season is young, and all it might take is one good trade for Dallas to get real good, real fast.

de Soto
11-18-2008, 10:48 PM
I hope you're right, cause I hate the Mavs and Cuban with a fierce passion, but boy are you jumping the gun here. The season is young, and all it might take is one good trade for Dallas to get real good, real fast.

I think the Mavs have a serious conditioning problem or motivational issues. They can look decent in a game every now and then but they won't be able to produce any winning streaks to speak of.

If Cuban was smart he'd stop catering to these soft individuals and would send them to a boot camp after the season. Maybe then they might have a shot the following season. It is clearly not a skill issue with Mavs, they're just incredibly highly paid slackers.

Findog
11-18-2008, 10:51 PM

On or abouts December 15th, Jerry Stackhouse and Brandon Bass to Charlotte for Gerald Wallace.

DPG21920
11-18-2008, 10:55 PM
On or abouts December 15th, Jerry Stackhouse and Brandon Bass to Charlotte for Gerald Wallace.

Why would they do that? So they can pair another semi-skilled undersized big man with Okafor and really get f'd up.

Findog
11-18-2008, 10:57 PM
and the day Devean George gets back in the lineup will be a sad, sad day indeed.

I'd much rather see Green/Williams/Wright get all those minutes. The last thing we need is Dick Breath out there.

Dick Breath is an experienced vet who can guard opposing perimeter players and knock down timely threes. We're real lucky to have him on our team.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2275/1533557385_502d479752.jpg?v=0

Findog
11-18-2008, 10:59 PM
Why would they do that? So they can pair another semi-skilled undersized big man with Okafor and really get f'd up.

They're a troubled franchise that is looking to dump salary. Stackhouse has an expiring contract and Bass is a young project.

DPG21920
11-18-2008, 11:00 PM
They're a troubled franchise that is looking to dump salary. Stackhouse has an expiring contract and Bass is a young project.

They can get that with other teams and get more talent.

Findog
11-18-2008, 11:01 PM

Maybe, maybe not. Neither one of us can say for certain.

DPG21920
11-18-2008, 11:41 PM
Maybe, maybe not. Neither one of us can say for certain.

Well since you are throwing out theoretical situations, mine makes more since than yours. Besides they are looking for a true big man and that I can say for sure.

Findog
11-18-2008, 11:51 PM
Well since you are throwing out theoretical situations, mine makes more since than yours. Besides they are looking for a true big man and that I can say for sure.

You didn't throw out any scenarios, you're just spoiling for a fight with a Mavs fan.

DPG21920
11-18-2008, 11:54 PM

You didn't throw out any scenarios, you're just spoiling for a fight with a Mavs fan.

Isn't that a scenario? I said why would they do what you said, it made no sense considering 1) we know what they are looking for and 2) what you said could easily be topped by another team.

I enjoy watching the Mavs. Don't get all high and mighty because you are a fan. I would disagree with what you said if you were a Spurs fan.

Ghazi
11-19-2008, 12:18 AM

Don't pollute my threads please. you probably didn't even watch the game. Moron.

Ghazi
11-19-2008, 12:20 AM

Gerald Wallace is too similar to JHO IMO. Worse offensively, better defensively, more athletic... I think I'd rather have JHO.

Wallace and Jho? Would one or the other work at the 2? I don't think I'd like the outside shooting of that lineup.

And, I doubt the Bobcats are interested :P

Findog
11-19-2008, 12:33 AM
You'd have to move Josh to the 2. Wallace is NOT a guard.

Tmac&Luther
11-19-2008, 01:01 AM

The Bobcats were the team that signed Carl Landry to a 3 year 9 million offer sheet..(although I'll take a Carl Landry over Bass anyday)......so who knows, they might actually take that deal.

DPG21920
11-19-2008, 01:02 AM
The Bobcats were the team that signed Carl Landry to a 3 year 9 million offer sheet..(although I'll take a Carl Landry over Bass anyday)......so who knows, they might actually take that deal.

They also targeted Kaman, so who knows. Signing Landry did not involve getting rid of Wallace.

Tmac&Luther
11-19-2008, 01:04 AM
Gerald Wallace is too similar to JHO IMO. Worse offensively, better defensively, more athletic... I think I'd rather have JHO.

Wallace and Jho? Would one or the other work at the 2? I don't think I'd like the outside shooting of that lineup.

And, I doubt the Bobcats are interested :P

I'll take Wallace over Howard everyday of the week.....Wallace is a gamer while Howard is nothing but a asshat. Sorry, but I don't like players who basically call a press conference to admit they smoke pot right before my teams biggest game of the year. Howard would be addition, by subtraction......infact y'all should see if you could throw him in a deal to get Wallace.

Tmac&Luther
11-19-2008, 01:05 AM
They also targeted Kaman, so who knows. Signing Landry did not involve getting rid of Wallace.

Then throw Howard in a deal for Wallace......who needs a dumbass on their team anyways.

DPG21920
11-19-2008, 01:13 AM
Hey, Howard may be a dumb ass, but he is playing very well! The cats really need an interior presence on offense. They have pretty good shooters across the board and some slashers, an inside threat would help. Bass nor Landry were the answer. I just think that they were wanting some depth for cheap when they signed Landry to the offer sheet.

Ghazi
11-19-2008, 01:35 AM
I'll take Wallace over Howard everyday of the week.....Wallace is a gamer while Howard is nothing but a asshat. Sorry, but I don't like players who basically call a press conference to admit they smoke pot right before my teams biggest game of the year. Howard would be addition, by subtraction......infact y'all should see if you could throw him in a deal to get Wallace.

That's last year, Howard's played well this year and badly outplayed Wallace tonight. howard for wallace would be a lateral move at best, and likely a downgrade at the 3 spot.

ANywho, The Rockets game concerns me tommorow night. It's a back to back, on the road, versus a team w/ good depth/defense. But if they beat us w/ T-Mac/Battier out, jeez that would say a lot about how far the Mavs are behind the Rockets, and a couple of other teams in the West.

Tmac&Luther
11-19-2008, 01:44 AM
ANywho, The Rockets game concerns me tommorow night. It's a back to back, on the road, versus a team w/ good depth/defense. But if they beat us w/ T-Mac/Battier out, jeez that would say a lot about how far the Mavs are behind the Rockets, and a couple of other teams in the West.

Actually I still think y'all have the talent......before the season started when every Rockets fan said y'all were finished, I said y'all would surprise some people. Up to now y'all have made me look like a complete ass and I know y'all are underachieving. The Mavs haven't fallen that far behind, they just don't play as a damn team and severely lack some serious dicilpline......but they still have talent. (remeber Houston last year struggled under a 1st year head coach and everyone and their sister wrote them off)

The thing I can't stand is how they go into "jumpshoot mode"......"c'mon everybody it's time to throw up jumpshots". It absolutely kills them and when you get down to it, I think that's where they miss Devin Harris.....because when the team got into that mode, Harris could get to the basket and either score or flop and draw a foul at will. He was their best penetrator. That's what their missing now.....a good penetrator.

Ghazi
11-19-2008, 01:54 AM
Indeed the lack of slashing is a problem.

The biggest problem thus far IMO has been the perimeter shooting. less than 30% over 11 games is just terrible and unacceptable. If we're gonna be a jump shooting team primarily, we should atleast be good at it.

It's arguable that the Mavs would be 5-6 or 6-5 right now with above average 3-PT shooting... in fact, we probably would be... but we've been piss poor from behind the arc.

DaDakota
11-19-2008, 09:19 AM
Slashing? Play Gerald Green, why is he getting only token minutes?

DD

monosylab1k
11-19-2008, 09:25 AM
Slashing? Play Gerald Green, why is he getting only token minutes?

DD

Once he gets a clue on defense he'll get more minutes. On D he's making mistakes a high schooler knows not to make....he's gotta fix that. Right now I like giving him 10-15 minutes a night, and if he is playing with high energy and has a hot hand, let him have 10 -15 more.

Findog
11-19-2008, 09:35 AM
Once he gets a clue on defense he'll get more minutes. On D he's making mistakes a high schooler knows not to make....he's gotta fix that. Right now I like giving him 10-15 minutes a night, and if he is playing with high energy and has a hot hand, let him have 10 -15 more.

The Mavs should bring back the guy in your sig. That would fix everything. You should friend him on facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/people/Tariq-Abdul-Wahad/716792145

LEONARD
11-19-2008, 09:41 AM
Where the Mav haters at now???

monosylab1k
11-19-2008, 09:45 AM
Where the Mav haters at now???

WOOHOOO 4-7!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS TEAM IS BADASS!

Armando
11-19-2008, 09:49 AM
I hope the Mavs beat the Rockets tonight. The lesser of 2 evils

Findog
11-19-2008, 09:50 AM
BobcatsDynasty is viewing this thread. I'm getting excited

BobcatsDynasty
11-19-2008, 09:50 AM
Fluke win. Mavs just made all their shots and the Bobcats didn't. Plus we didn't have Jason Richardson, a bonafide Mavericks teabagger. If J-Rich was out there shooting some shots, Bobcats win easy.

P.S. I like how the Mavs are too cowardly to play their mid-level exception player, Diop. If you're truly a good team, you can play really crappy players on your team. We do it every night with Sean May.

de Soto
11-19-2008, 09:58 AM
The Rockets will annihilate the Mavs tonight!

sribb43
11-19-2008, 10:55 AM
Fluke win. Mavs just made all their shots and the Bobcats didn't. Plus we didn't have Jason Richardson, a bonafide Mavericks teabagger. If J-Rich was out there shooting some shots, Bobcats win easy.

P.S. I like how the Mavs are too cowardly to play their mid-level exception player, Diop. If you're truly a good team, you can play really crappy players on your team. We do it every night with Sean May.

We felt for the Bobcats...since they already had May we didnt want them to sign Diop and have 2 super spares on their team....so we decided to go ahead and offer Diop the full MLE