PDA

View Full Version : LeBron Says He Won't Hesitate To Leave Cavs In 2010 If Offer Is Right

duncan228
11-18-2008, 11:08 PM
LeBron says he won't hesitate to leave Cavs in 2010 if offer is right (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/basketball/nba/11/18/james.free.agency.ap/index.html)

sribb43
11-18-2008, 11:12 PM
Screw the Cavs...their dumb ass fans booed Lebron the other night because he wouldnt shoot the ball at the end of the game so that they could get their free taco from taco bell. Cleveland doesnt deserve LBJ

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2008/11/brian_windhorsts_cavs_blog_cav.html

• Before the game some reporters were making small talk in the locker room and LeBron said he was still a little upset about being booed the other night when he dribbled the shot clock out in the last few seconds when the Cavs had 99 points against the Bucks. 100 would've meant free Chalupas, which really seems to fire up the crowd no matter what else is going on. Truth is Mike Brown told LeBron to dribble it out. A couple years ago in the same spot -- I think maybe against the Jazz, but I can't be sure -- Andy Varejao went down and got a cheap layup to get to 100 in the final seconds. Brown was not happy and slapped Andy across the wrist. Anyway, LeBron said "I can't believe people who buy season tickets get worked up over a g-- d--- $1 (blank) taco." LeBron, take a look around during timeouts and see how people go after those 25 cent mini basketballs. Oh and those vouchers for lottery tickets, I personally got clocked in the head by someone leaping for one in the season opener.

peskypesky
11-19-2008, 12:04 AM
yeah, after the booing incident, Lebron has his bags packed.

Armando
11-19-2008, 12:09 AM
Is this really a surprise to anyone? Of course the NBA wants LeHype in a big market team.

JoeTait75
11-19-2008, 12:09 AM
Screw the Cavs...their dumb ass fans booed Lebron the other night because he wouldnt shoot the ball at the end of the game so that they could get their free taco from taco bell. Cleveland doesnt deserve LBJ

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2008/11/brian_windhorsts_cavs_blog_cav.html

They weren't booing LeBron, they were booing the fact that the Cavaliers weren't going to score 100 and they weren't going to get free Chalupas- which, I agree, is a pretty goddamned stupid reason to boo. Had Mo Williams or Delonte West or anyone else had the ball in that situation, they'd have been booed as well.

The Chalupa incident is being blown out of proportion. It happens in every NBA city that offers this stupid promotion. Had any other player said what LeBron said, you wouldn't have heard anything about it. I think they should do away with the promotion altogether. Most of the people at the game probably don't redeem the coupons anyway.

BTW, if you guys think LeBron is unhappy in Cleveland, you aren't watching the Cavaliers enough. LeBron right now is playing the game with as much joy and enthusiasm as I've ever seen from him. And his comment about wanting to be in a place that gives him the best chance to win a chip is completely understandable.

But that place is Cleveland.

DPG21920
11-19-2008, 12:11 AM
He would be smart to go over all his options. He is right, the teams have no loyalty for the most part and he has to look out for himself. He is going to get max dollars no matter where he goes, so to him, it is not about the money.

Armando
11-19-2008, 12:11 AM
LeBron in Lakers colors?

Indazone
11-19-2008, 12:13 AM
If Kobe goes to Olympiacos then Lebron has to go to PAO. The balance of power must be maintained! :lol

TheMadHatter
11-19-2008, 12:53 AM
Lakers win it all this year. Kobe leaves for Greece. Lebron comes to LA.

I like the sound of that...

ducks
11-19-2008, 12:55 AM
wants to max sure he gets attention

11-19-2008, 01:41 AM
if lebron wants three consecutive rings, all he has to do is join the spurs in 2010. duncan will stay until 2012, parker until 2011. no other team can offer a chance to play with tim duncan.

Ghazi
11-19-2008, 01:44 AM
Duncan will be far out of his prime by then.

timtonymanu
11-19-2008, 01:52 AM
i hope Lebron leaves. ive had it with watching the Cavs on tv every week.

Allanon
11-19-2008, 01:53 AM
he was still a little upset about being booed the other night when he dribbled the shot clock out in the last few seconds when the Cavs had 99 points against the Bucks.

Cav fans are crazy, they know LeBron is thinking about leaving and they still booed him... Kobe sure as hell wouldn't have been booed over some tacos. Even lazy ass Laker fans stand and start clapping during the dribbling out of the ball.

11-19-2008, 01:54 AM
since duncan doesn't rely on athleticism, he'll age pretty well. duncan will still play very good defense, rebound well, and score when needed.

sprrs
11-19-2008, 03:00 AM
Cav fans are crazy, they know LeBron is thinking about leaving and they still booed him... Kobe sure as hell wouldn't have been booed over some tacos. Even lazy ass Laker fans stand and start clapping during the dribbling out of the ball.

Exactly. They're rubbing salt on an open wound. Even if most other team's fans would do the same thing, Cleveland fans should be particularly sensitive given the situation.

z0sa
11-19-2008, 03:04 AM
Exactly. They're rubbing salt on an open wound. Even if most other team's fans would do the same thing, Cleveland fans should be particularly sensitive given the situation.

You act as if LeBron is completely innocent, which he is not. He doesn't deserve boos, but fuck being sensitive considering they're paying his salary.

Lakers_55
11-19-2008, 03:51 AM

I pointed this out after it happened last season, but do you remember Sasha Vujacic's 3 pointer at the end of game 5 in the WCF vs. the Spurs? It got the Lakers to 100 points, and free tacos for everyone in attendance.

Listen for the chants when the Lakers have 100 and the opposing team is under that in the waning moments of a game:

We want tacos!
We want tacos!
We want tacos!

KidCongo
11-19-2008, 04:19 AM
They weren't booing LeBron, they were booing the fact that the Cavaliers weren't going to score 100 and they weren't going to get free Chalupas- which, I agree, is a pretty goddamned stupid reason to boo. Had Mo Williams or Delonte West or anyone else had the ball in that situation, they'd have been booed as well.

The Chalupa incident is being blown out of proportion. It happens in every NBA city that offers this stupid promotion. Had any other player said what LeBron said, you wouldn't have heard anything about it. I think they should do away with the promotion altogether. Most of the people at the game probably don't redeem the coupons anyway.

BTW, if you guys think LeBron is unhappy in Cleveland, you aren't watching the Cavaliers enough. LeBron right now is playing the game with as much joy and enthusiasm as I've ever seen from him. And his comment about wanting to be in a place that gives him the best chance to win a chip is completely understandable.

But that place is Cleveland.

+100000000

JoeTait75
11-19-2008, 09:24 AM

First, they said Cavs fans shouldn't boo LeBron for missing critical free throws, he might leave. Then it was don't say anything about the Yankees hat, he might leave. Now it's don't make a peep about the Chalupas, he might leave...

Look, I'm of the opinion that LBJ deserves a lot of leeway from the fans in Cleveland. But this walking-on-eggshells stuff is ridiculous. If he stays he stays, if he goes he goes. I guarantee the fans getting on his case about Chalupas or Yankees hats won't have anything to do with it.

Armando
11-19-2008, 09:27 AM
This whole thing is ridiculous

Thunder Dan
11-19-2008, 09:35 AM
what's funny is you gotta hear the questions the media asks Lebron. They ask him these loaded questions where the only response is that he would consider leaving, then they just report that he said that on his own. They did this last year against the Knicks, someone asked him something along the lines of "If Cleveland didn't have a competitive team, would you consider opting out and leaving in 2010"--as any player would say, he said he would; then they reported that he wants to leave.

It's all speculation though. If the Cavs win the title in 2010- he isn't leaving.

He isn't going to the Nets- they suck, and won't be in Brooklyn until 2012 at the earliest

Cleveland can pay him $30,000,000 more than any team. If Lebron is worried about being booed, then the NYC market isn't for him- however, I watched that game and didn't hear any boos

And LA booed Kobe last year, and he is still playing there

Thunder Dan
11-19-2008, 09:41 AM
Also, the Cavs are 9-2, and are not only beating teams, they are distroying them while winning 8 in a row. Lebron says he wants to win multiple championships....The Nets winning championships?! yea right

"When I decide to make the decision, it's going to basically put me in a position where I feel like I can win multiple championships," James said. "If it's staying here, I'll be here. If it's moving elsewhere, I'll have to look at my options."

Armando
11-19-2008, 09:48 AM
If I were to guess I think LeBron justs likes the attention. I doubt he will leave Cleveland and I don't see Wade leaving Miami either. In fact it won't shock me if next season Boozer is wearing a Heat jersey.

TheMadHatter
11-19-2008, 10:18 AM
I agree the best place for Lebron IS Cleveland.

Allanon
11-19-2008, 10:22 AM
I pointed this out after it happened last season, but do you remember Sasha Vujacic's 3 pointer at the end of game 5 in the WCF vs. the Spurs? It got the Lakers to 100 points, and free tacos for everyone in attendance.

Listen for the chants when the Lakers have 100 and the opposing team is under that in the waning moments of a game:

We want tacos!
We want tacos!
We want tacos!

Hahah, yes, that always happens. The only difference is that if it's Kobe, he doesn't get booed. I don't believe I've heard actual "boos" but more of what you said, a resounding.....

We want tacos!
We want tacos!
We want tacos!

Allanon
11-19-2008, 10:28 AM
Also, the Cavs are 9-2, and are not only beating teams, they are distroying them while winning 8 in a row. Lebron says he wants to win multiple championships....The Nets winning championships?! yea right

"When I decide to make the decision, it's going to basically put me in a position where I feel like I can win multiple championships," James said. "If it's staying here, I'll be here. If it's moving elsewhere, I'll have to look at my options."

I agree it's mostly about winning. If the Cavs can win a ring in the next two years, LeBron will probably stay.

But if the Cavs DON'T win a ring this year, or put a strong early showing next year, I wouldn't be surprised if LeBron gets traded before the trade deadline as the Cavs try to get some trade value out of him.

LeBron doesn't want to be the next Charles Barkley.

mrspurs
11-19-2008, 10:40 AM

Excellent point.

mrspurs
11-19-2008, 10:41 AM
If I were to guess I think LeBron justs likes the attention. I doubt he will leave Cleveland and I don't see Wade leaving Miami either. In fact it won't shock me if next season Boozer is wearing a Heat jersey.

Get ready for some shock treatment....

sribb43
11-19-2008, 10:53 AM
I hope when Lebron leaves Cleveland that he send all the season ticket holders 1 taco from taco bell

duncan228
11-19-2008, 01:35 PM
James: New Team Doesn't Guarantee Championship (http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=10652)
By: Alex Raskin

The New York media hasn't noticed, but LeBron James has plenty of reasons to remain with the Cavaliers well into the next decade. Former Nike and Adidas Executive Sonny Vaccaro told the New York Times recently that James might be happier in New York or Los Angeles; but Cleveland can still use James' Larry Bird rights to offer around $30 million more than any other team. There is one thing Vaccaro is right about though: James' decision may not come down to money.

"When I decide to make that decision," said James about his free agent status in the summer of 2010. "It's going to be to put me in a position to win multiple championships. And if it's staying here, not being here, if it's moving elsewhere, I'm going to have to look at my options."

Predicting who will be a championship contender this season is hard enough – let alone the 2011 season. And if winning a title is the biggest concern for James, he needs to make sure he does not leave a burgeoning champion for false hopes.

"Just because you go to a different team with different players doesn't guarantee you a championship," James said prior to Cleveland's 106-82 win in New Jersey, Tuesday. "I have to be smart about things and be patient."

James has yet to show much patience in his career. Tuesday he became the youngest player to reach 16,000 points. And as Mike Moreau wrote for HOOPSWORLD the other day, he is outshining Kobe Bryant and Michael Jordan at every stage of their development. Yet James has been patient with the Cavaliers. Through Cleveland's misguided attempts to pair him with Larry Hughes, Dajuan Wagner, Ricky Davis and Drew Gooden, James stayed committed to his team. Now that patience is paying off.

The franchise is off to one of the best starts in the NBA (9-2) and over the last few years Cleveland has cemented their defensive reputation around the league. The additions of Delonte West and Ben Wallace at last year's trade deadline have contributed to Cleveland's ninth-ranked defense this season.

"When I first got here, I felt our team needed an identity," said Cleveland Coach Mike Brown. "I believe the way you win championships is on the defensive end of the floor… We have to make out guys understand that you have to get stops."

And they are getting stops in bunches. The preseason addition of Mo Williams only contributed to the team's defensive prowess.

"He is a terrific defender," added Brown. "We've asked him to pick up full-court quite a bit. He's done it… One game he took three charges alone."

That defensive intensity has already endeared Williams to his Cavalier teammates.

"Defense is what we hang out hats on," said Cavs forward Ben Wallace. "Defense is all about effort. We can always put in the extra effort on defense to give us some help on the offensive end."

With Williams' arrival, West has been able to focus his defensive efforts on shooting guards primarily. That dynamic has played well for Cleveland as West's quick feet and long arms have proven difficult for most two guards to handle. On Tuesday for instance, West was able to pressure Vince Carter into a 3-for-12 shooting night.

"They're very quick," Cavs forward Wally Szczerbiak said of Cleveland's starting backcourt. "They're very energetic and they're doing a great job for us so far."

West is benefiting from Williams' presence on the offensive end as well. Now, the marksman from St. Joe's can worry about shooting threes and driving the lane rather than setting up the rest of his teammates.

"He has the freedom to go play the game of basketball," Brown said of West. "He's a versatile basketball player that can do a lot with the ball and to have him on the wing is really good."

But the biggest advantage to having Williams on board is that James is able to do new things. In the past he has been forced to set the table and handle the bulk of the scoring load. Now Brown is finding new ways to get James the ball.

"We've done a better job of taking the ball out of his hands and putting him in the post," added Brown. "Not only are we putting him on the post, we're moving him off of the pick and roll. We're not just having him stationary. We're moving him off screens. Also, we're taking the ball out of his hands and having him run the wing in transition. It's been pretty good so far."

James is leading the league in scoring once again, but if he can continue to do that on a team that is only a few percentage points from the best record in the league, why would he leave?

Brown of course has seen this before. While he was an assistant with the San Antonio Spurs, many people speculated that Tim Duncan would sign with the Magic as a free agent to take advantage of Florida's absent state income tax.

"I sat back and I observed (Spurs Coach Greg Popovich)," said Brown. "He said it like it was. 'Hey, we're getting ready for today's game and after that we're getting ready for tomorrow's.'"

And by focusing his attention on the daily needs of his team – particularly on the defensive end of the floor – Popovich created a franchise that Duncan has stayed loyal to. Rather than getting caught up in contract extensions and specific dollar amounts, the Spurs simply made themselves too attractive to pass up. That's what Brown hopes to do in Cleveland.

"We have to make our organization the best organization it can be," added Brown. "Not just for LeBron, but for all the employees that work there… We want our organization to be a first class organization."

And if Cleveland can keep this pace up, James' decision might be an easy one. The possibility of James signing with the Knicks or Nets may sell papers, but he doesn't want to walk away from a good thing.

"It gets funny at times," said James. "I'm trying to focus on the team I'm on right now and winning a championship."

The two may be one in the same.

stretch
11-19-2008, 01:40 PM
If he wins a title before 2010, he stays, no question about it. If he doesn't, he still probably stays. The ony destinations that make sense would be NY, NJ, or Dallas.

Dr. Gonzo
11-19-2008, 01:48 PM
If he wins a title before 2010, he stays, no question about it. If he doesn't, he still probably stays. The ony destinations that make sense would be NY, NJ, or Dallas.

Why does Dallas make sense? He said he wanted championships.

SpursDynasty
11-19-2008, 01:50 PM
LeBron James is a fluke and a bust.

stretch
11-19-2008, 02:03 PM
Why does Dallas make sense? He said he wanted championships.

:td

Because he likes the city of Dallas, people love playing for Mark Cuban cuz he treats his players like god's in comparison to other franchises, and the chance to play along with another future hall of famer in Dirk.

stretch
11-19-2008, 02:04 PM
LeBron James is a fluke and a bust.

Your drumming the other night at Buffalo Wild Wings was a bust. Your band sucks balls these days.

JamStone
11-19-2008, 02:04 PM
Dallas doesn't make sense for LeBron at all. The team will suck even more in two years and Mark Cuban might not even be the owner by then.

Knicks and Lakers are really the only teams that make sense, and it won't be the Lakers. I think the Nets are a long shot now that they won't be in Brooklyn by the summer of 2010.

stretch
11-19-2008, 02:08 PM
Dallas doesn't make sense for LeBron at all.

How does it not? He openly has said a number of times that he likes Dallas. He's a big Cowboys fan and has been seen several times at Cowboys games chilling with the players during pre-game and with Jerry. They still have a good team that has consistently been good and in the playoff race. They have Mark Cuban who treats the players like kings and if there is anyone willing to pay a shitload of money for him, it would be Cuban. I think just about any superstar would love to play with a guy like Dirk, whom would more than likely be willing to re-structure his contract just to play with someone like Lebron.

monosylab1k
11-19-2008, 02:10 PM
Dallas doesn't make sense for LeBron at all.

LeBron is the one who mentioned Dallas in the first place, so it must make some sense to him. Not that he's coming to Dallas, there's a better chance of JJ Barea dropping 100 on the Rockets tonight.

monosylab1k
11-19-2008, 02:12 PM
Here's the chances of each happening -

LeBron going to New York - 60%
LeBron staying in Cleveland - 39.999999%
LeBron going to Dallas - 0.0000001%

JamStone
11-19-2008, 02:19 PM
First of all, liking a city is just that, liking a city. I'm sure LeBron likes a lot of cities, but that doesn't necessarily make them likely destinations.

Dirk Nowitzki has an opt out for the 2010-2011 season, and he's been lukewarm about staying himself. Dirk has to sign an extension or what would LeBron have?

Jason Terry has a tough contract to move as well as Dampier. Dampier's contract might be movable in the expiring year in the summer of 2009, but that doesn't guarantee it moves. And, with Dampier, Terry, Dirk, Diop, and whoever else is on the roster unless they are going to field a team of four players, the Mavericks won't have a max deal to offer LeBron. And, that's even with the Mavs not picking up their option for Josh Howard, they wouldn't have max space.

Mark Cuban is an owner that appears to be the type many players have liked to play for. But, players don't hesitate to leave the Mavericks either despite that. And, who knows if Cuban will even still be the owner of the Mavs in the summer of 2010, considering his current legal issues?

The Mavs look bad. They look like they're getting worse and they're not in the position to rebuild.

I don't think Dallas is even on LeBron radar of possible destinations should he leave Cleveland in the summer 2010.

Thunder Dan
11-19-2008, 02:25 PM

no offense, but why the hell would he want to play in Dallas? because he likes their football team?

Thunder Dan
11-19-2008, 02:27 PM
:td

Because he likes the city of Dallas, people love playing for Mark Cuban cuz he treats his players like god's in comparison to other franchises, and the chance to play along with another future hall of famer in Dirk.

Lebron's mom and his buddies basically have the key to the Q and Dan Gilbert's personal plane. There was an article around here about how Dan Gilbert basically does whatever possible to make Lebron, his family and his friends happy. He even let them borrow his plane to fly to Vegas during one off season

monosylab1k
11-19-2008, 02:28 PM
First of all, liking a city is just that, liking a city. I'm sure LeBron likes a lot of cities, but that doesn't necessarily make them likely destinations.

The reports weren't only talking about LeBron liking the city, the reports listed the Mavericks as a team he'd like to play for. Not saying there's a chance of it happening, but LeBron's camp is the one that first mentioned playing for the Mavericks.

monosylab1k
11-19-2008, 02:29 PM
no offense, but why the hell would he want to play in Dallas? because he likes their football team?

ask LeBron, he's the one who said it.

xtremesteven33
11-19-2008, 02:32 PM
Lebron will be a Knick in 2010....the road is paved, the destination is set

Findog
11-19-2008, 02:35 PM
And, who knows if Cuban will even still be the owner of the Mavs in the summer of 2010, considering his current legal issues?

I have nothing to say regarding the rest of your post, because LeBron will never play for the Mavericks, but Cuban is embroiled in a civil action with the SEC. As long as he doesn't perjure himself, there's no chance of it becoming a criminal matter. He will be the owner of the Mavericks as long as he wants to be.

monosylab1k
11-19-2008, 02:40 PM
At some point I think it's just bitterness from fans of other teams that someone close to LeBron leaked his high regard for the Mavericks.

It's laughably stupid to say LeBron will go to the Mavs, or that there's anything more than a very very slim chance of that happening. It's also laughably stupid to say that Dallas makes zero sense for LeBron. The Mavs as an entire organization and Dallas as a city make plenty of sense for LeBron. Just not nearly as much sense as staying in Cleveland or leaving for New York.

Thunder Dan
11-19-2008, 02:41 PM
ask LeBron, he's the one who said it.
guys, he isn't going to Dallas, or Detroit, or Portland- He will either stay in Cleveland, play for the Knicks, or play for the Nets- those 3 teams are the only teams he will play for.

I say this with 100% certainty because if he were to go anywhere else that was a situation like the Celtics last year, he will be cast off as someone that needed to jump on board a contender to get a team over the top. If he stays in Cleveland, he will show that he has taken HIS team and won a championship, and didn't need to jump ship to win one.

He will choose the Knicks over the Nets because the Knicks are a big time franchise and they are not 2nd fiddle in the NYC market like the Nets are. The Nets can't even pass the legislation to build a stadium by 2010, they should worry a little more about that than assuming Lebron is coming. The Nets won't be in Brooklyn in 2010, and neither will Lebron. People don't exactly try to play for the Clippers over the Lakers when they dream of playing in LA. Baseball players dream of playing for the Yankees, not the Mets. There is no difference with the Nets and Knicks.

I say:

1) Cleveland 65%
2) Knicks 25%
3) Nets 9.9%
4) other team .01% (he would have to be coming off a major injury)

Lebron will be a Knick in 2010....the road is paved, the destination is set

except that he wants to play for a contender, and if they sign Lebron that means he will play around that Italian guy and a bunch of guys that make no money

z0sa
11-19-2008, 02:42 PM
If LeBron went to Dallas, AND Dallas kept Dirk, they'd probably win 2 or 3 championships before Dirk's career is over.

I'm no Dallas fan obviously, but if I were LeBron, it'd definitely be in the picture. Thing is, can Dallas afford him? I thought Kidd fucked everything up for 2010.

monosylab1k
11-19-2008, 02:44 PM
People don't exactly try to play for the Clippers over the Lakers when they dream of playing in LA.

http://denimdesignlab.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/BaronDavis.jpg

Thunder Dan
11-19-2008, 02:46 PM
http://denimdesignlab.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/BaronDavis.jpg

yeah I forgot how hard the Lakers went after Baron Davis

Lebron will see max offers from both NYC area teams in 2010 and he will only go to one of them if he wants to wait longer to win a championship becuase let's be honest, they both suck and will suck for the next couple years

stretch
11-19-2008, 02:47 PM

As mono said... hes the one that brought up the idea of coming to Dallas first.

Dirk Nowitzki has an opt out for the 2010-2011 season, and he's been lukewarm about staying himself. Dirk has to sign an extension or what would LeBron have?

I'm sure that the chance to play with Lebron and hopefully get a title would be more than enough to lure him back for less money.

Jason Terry has a tough contract to move as well as Dampier. Dampier's contract might be movable in the expiring year in the summer of 2009, but that doesn't guarantee it moves. And, with Dampier, Terry, Dirk, Diop, and whoever else is on the roster unless they are going to field a team of four players, the Mavericks won't have a max deal to offer LeBron. And, that's even with the Mavs not picking up their option for Josh Howard, they wouldn't have max space.

The Mavs more than likely could find a way to move Damp's contract for some better role players. If the Lakers can deal Kwame for Gasol, I'm sure there is a way to deal Damp for some decent role players. Plus, if they can get Lebron, I doubt they would bother wasting time trying to get Josh Howard back.

Mark Cuban is an owner that appears to be the type many players have liked to play for. But, players don't hesitate to leave the Mavericks either despite that. And, who knows if Cuban will even still be the owner of the Mavs in the summer of 2010, considering his current legal issues?

Okay, what players worth keeping walked away from the Mavs? Steve Nash is the ONLY one, and thats because Cuban wasn't willing to give an aging PG with back problems such a massive contract. And people can say the MVP crap if they want... fact is, there is no way in hell he wins those MVPs staying in Dallas because of the way the team was built. He walked into a situation that is a DREAM for any pass-first PG.

The Mavs look bad. They look like they're getting worse and they're not in the position to rebuild.

They were in the finals not long ago, and won 67 two years ago. Obviously, they aren't what they were before, but they aren't that bad. They still won over 50 games and made the playoffs last year. They have had a bad start, but since when do starts mean anything?

I don't think Dallas is even on LeBron radar of possible destinations should he leave Cleveland in the summer 2010.

Maybe, maybe not. Its not like I'm saying he will be coming. I think there is a 90% (or better) chance he stays in Cleveland. If he leaves, I think the only places that would be capable of luring him that he would consider are as I said, NY, NJ, or Dallas... all big market cities that he has openly expressed a liking for. I would say LA too, but with their situation right now, its not going to happen.

stretch
11-19-2008, 02:48 PM
Thing is, can Dallas afford him? I thought Kidd fucked everything up for 2010.

His contract (which is MASSIVE) expires this summer.

Thunder Dan
11-19-2008, 02:50 PM
LeBron James not invested in joining the Nets, report says
by Frank Della Femina/NJ.com
Wednesday November 19, 2008, 8:39 AM
Noah K. Murray/The Star-LedgerLeBron James wants to go where the championships are, but will keep his options open as he edges closer to 2010 free agency.
Never mind LeBron James' 31 point performance last night in the Cavs' 106-82 win over the Nets last night. There was only one thing on the minds of New Jersey Nets fans as King James came to town: Will he sign with the Nets in 2010.

In today's Star-Ledger, writer Dave D'Alessandro's article on LeBron James touches up on the subject of player-to-franchise loyalty, something that will no doubt play a factor in 2010 when James is a free agent. In that article, James said:

"The franchise is going to do what's best for the franchise. For some odd reason, when the players do what's best for the players, it always comes back on us. It almost looks bad. But when a franchise gives up on a player, it's okay."

New York Post columnist Jay Greenberg tackles the subject of LeBron James' free agency as well. Yet Greenberg single-handedly dished a comment from LeBron James that may be a morale crusher for the LeBron-to-NJ hopefuls:

"We all seen the cutting of the ribbon, but that's the last thing we saw with the Nets moving to Brooklyn," he said. "I'm not sure if that's still in the works, but I'm not invested in the team, so I can sleep good at night."

In fact, Greenberg says there isn't much out there that can potentially lure LeBron away from Cleveland. James has said he wants to go where the championships are, and even said this season's Cavs team is one of the best he's played. Even the list of potential endorsements wouldn't be enough to lure him in:

"Unless Nike steps up with some massive, eight-figure, Michael-Jordan-equity-type of deal to have him in New York, LeBron is not going to make more money there," said Chicago-based sports business consultant Marc Ganis. "And in this economic climate, we don't know where Nike will be [in 2010].

Does that one comment close out the hopes of landing LeBron Nets fans, or is there still hope for 2010? Comment below.

http://www.nj.com/nets/index.ssf/2008/11/lebron_james_not_invested_in_n.html

stretch
11-19-2008, 02:50 PM
It's laughably stupid to say LeBron will go to the Mavs, or that there's anything more than a very very slim chance of that happening. It's also laughably stupid to say that Dallas makes zero sense for LeBron. The Mavs as an entire organization and Dallas as a city make plenty of sense for LeBron. Just not nearly as much sense as staying in Cleveland or leaving for New York.

:tu

hater
11-19-2008, 02:53 PM

think about that. you would rather watch 24/7 New York Knicks dicksucking???

JamStone
11-19-2008, 03:25 PM
I have nothing to say regarding the rest of your post, because LeBron will never play for the Mavericks, but Cuban is embroiled in a civil action with the SEC. As long as he doesn't perjure himself, there's no chance of it becoming a criminal matter. He will be the owner of the Mavericks as long as he wants to be.

I chose my words wisely. I didn't use the word "criminal." I used "legal."

And, I'm not saying he definitely won't be the owner. I'm saying with the current "legal" issues, if shit hits the fan, he may not be. And, it won't necessarily be because of going to jail or something like that. He could be reluctantly forced out by the league. We all know Stern is a dictator and that something like this could have Stern act. That's my take on it. You're more than entitled to disagree.

SpursDynasty
11-19-2008, 03:33 PM
I'm just wondering why does everyone give a damn about where LeBron goes? He's already in an easy conference and hasn't won a championship. He could go to the Nets, Mavericks, Knicks, he'll never get to a championship-caliber team because they wouldn't have the money for him. He will never win a championship.

JamStone
11-19-2008, 03:35 PM
As mono said... hes the one that brought up the idea of coming to Dallas first.

And, when the Pistons traded Billups for Iverson, there were several articles by ESPN writers that said Dumars was angling to get LeBron in 2010, with over $25 million in cap space and having connections in Detroit as well and Detroit poised to be still championship caliber with the addition of LeBron. How come Detroit wasn't on your list of possible destinations? Why? Because there's zero chance of LeBron going to Detroit, just like there's zero chance of LeBron going to Dallas.

I'm sure that the chance to play with Lebron and hopefully get a title would be more than enough to lure him back for less money.

Until Dirk signs an extension, you can't bank on that. And, it's a catch-22 as well. Dirk will wait for an assurance that LeBron can be acquired and if not he may leave. LeBron won't even consider Dallas unless Dirk is locked up for several years. And, the cycle will go back and forth. Dallas can't guarantee to Dirk that they'll get LeBron. And, Dirk's not signing an extension if they don't a guy like LeBron.

The Mavs more than likely could find a way to move Damp's contract for some better role players. If the Lakers can deal Kwame for Gasol, I'm sure there is a way to deal Damp for some decent role players. Plus, if they can get Lebron, I doubt they would bother wasting time trying to get Josh Howard back.

Funny with how a lot of Mavs fans said there was collusion with the Kwame/Gasol trade but you want to use it as an example of being able to dump Dampier. Dampier's contract is much harder to move specifically because it does NOT expire in the summer of 2010. Every single team in the NBA is positioning itself for a chance at LeBron, Wade, Bosh, Amare. But, you're sure there will be someone that will want to add $13 million that passes that summer of 2010? Not likely. I already said I was using numbers even with Josh Howard not returning. Dirk, $21.5 million. Damp, $13 million. Terry, $10.6 million. Diop, $6 million. That's $51 million on four players alone. The Mavs won't have cap space to offer LeBron a max contract. LeBron is not signing for less than the max.

Okay, what players worth keeping walked away from the Mavs? Steve Nash is the ONLY one, and thats because Cuban wasn't willing to give an aging PG with back problems such a massive contract. And people can say the MVP crap if they want... fact is, there is no way in hell he wins those MVPs staying in Dallas because of the way the team was built. He walked into a situation that is a DREAM for any pass-first PG.

You're right here.

They were in the finals not long ago, and won 67 two years ago. Obviously, they aren't what they were before, but they aren't that bad. They still won over 50 games and made the playoffs last year. They have had a bad start, but since when do starts mean anything?

Starts don't mean much, I agree. How about the last two ends of the seasons for the Mavs?

Maybe, maybe not. Its not like I'm saying he will be coming. I think there is a 90% (or better) chance he stays in Cleveland. If he leaves, I think the only places that would be capable of luring him that he would consider are as I said, NY, NJ, or Dallas... all big market cities that he has openly expressed a liking for. I would say LA too, but with their situation right now, its not going to happen.

It's Cleveland and New York and that's it. Dallas has no chance.

monosylab1k
11-19-2008, 03:37 PM
And, when the Pistons traded Billups for Iverson, there were several articles by ESPN writers that said Dumars was angling to get LeBron in 2010, with over $25 million in cap space and having connections in Detroit as well and Detroit poised to be still championship caliber with the addition of LeBron. How come Detroit wasn't on your list of possible destinations? Why? Because there's zero chance of LeBron going to Detroit, just like there's zero chance of LeBron going to Dallas.

No, it's because LeBron, nor anyone close to him, has ever mentioned that he'd consider playing for the Pistons the way that he already has with the Mavericks.

Starts don't mean much, I agree. How about the last two ends of the seasons for the Mavs?

They were in the playoffs and didn't win a championship. Just like LeBron's team.

Iakchos Kadmos
11-19-2008, 03:39 PM
Please be marking my words. He will be playing in Greece!

Findog
11-19-2008, 03:39 PM

And, I'm not saying he definitely won't be the owner. I'm saying with the current "legal" issues, if shit hits the fan, he may not be. And, it won't necessarily be because of going to jail or something like that. He could be reluctantly forced out by the league. We all know Stern is a dictator and that something like this could have Stern act. That's my take on it. You're more than entitled to disagree.

I'd be surprised if Stern forces him out over this. He hasn't been fined for any officiating criticism since the 06 Finals. Cuban has learned to hold his fire on that. Plus, Stern is smart enough to realize that the Mavericks are a much stronger and healthier franchise under Cuban's stewardship than they were under H. Ross Perot. For all of Cuban's "antics," he has done a good job of making the team competitive and profitable. I would imagine Stern would prefer more Cubans, not less.

JamStone
11-19-2008, 03:40 PM
So it's enough that a "source" close to LeBron to say that LeBron would like playing for Paul Allen and the Portland Trailblazers to be enough to believe he has a genuine interest?

JamStone
11-19-2008, 03:40 PM
I'd be surprised if Stern forces him out over this. He hasn't been fined for any officiating criticism since the 06 Finals. Cuban has learned to hold his fire on that. Plus, Stern is smart enough to realize that the Mavericks are a much stronger and healthier franchise under Cuban's stewardship than they were under H. Ross Perot. For all of Cuban's "antics," he has done a good job of making the team competitive and profitable. I would imagine Stern would prefer more Cubans, not less.

Not right now. I said IF shit hits the fan.

monosylab1k
11-19-2008, 03:43 PM
So it's enough that a "source" close to LeBron to say that LeBron would like playing for Paul Allen and the Portland Trailblazers to be enough to believe he has a genuine interest?

Certainly bodes better than the resounding silence coming from LeBron's camp regarding playing in Detroit.

monosylab1k
11-19-2008, 03:45 PM
Then again, nobody in their right mind thought A-Rod would sign with the Rangers, so who knows.

Red Hawk #21
11-19-2008, 03:46 PM
Please be marking my words. He will be playing in Greece!

:wakeup :rolleyes

Thunder Dan
11-19-2008, 03:47 PM
Then again, nobody in their right mind thought A-Rod would sign with the Rangers, so who knows.

but that was becuase they offered the most money. Lebron will get the same offers from the Knicks, Nets, Mavs, Pistons, Bobcats, Heat, Thunder....the only team that can offer him more is the Cavs

JamStone
11-19-2008, 03:47 PM
I specifically said there's zero chance at LeBron going to the Pistons. What's your point.

So forget that the Mavericks can't offer him a max contract in 2010 and that the Mavs suck. Dallas is still a possibility.

Findog
11-19-2008, 03:48 PM
Not right now. I said IF shit hits the fan.

What do you consider to be "shit hitting the fan?" Because Cuban admits that he received material non-public information and sold shares based on it. His legal defense is that he wasn't bound by a duty of confidentiality, while the SEC says he is. This isn't like Martha Stewart where she perjured herself and covered up her actions. This is a dispute about the interpretation of the law.

JamStone
11-19-2008, 03:48 PM

Dallas won't even be able to offer $10 million a year, much less a max contract.

monosylab1k
11-19-2008, 03:52 PM
So forget that the Mavericks can't offer him a max contract in 2010 and that the Mavs suck. Dallas is still a possibility.

Hey if you don't like it, don't get mad at us. Take it up with LeBron - he's the one who said Dallas is a possibility.

JamStone
11-19-2008, 03:52 PM
What do you consider to be "shit hitting the fan?" Because Cuban admits that he received material non-public information and sold shares based on it. His legal defense is that he wasn't bound by a duty of confidentiality, while the SEC says he is. This isn't like Martha Stewart where she perjured herself and covered up her actions. This is a dispute about the interpretation of the law.

I don't know the legal issues of the case. I don't know all the facts of the suit. But, I figure in a case about insider trading, there's still the potential of something much bigger getting exposed. I wasn't comparing it with Martha Stewart. But, if things go terribly wrong somehow, that could be the "shit hitting the fan." Just using that expression to say something, anything fucked up that might happen.

JamStone
11-19-2008, 03:55 PM
Hey if you don't like it, don't get mad at us. Take it up with LeBron - he's the one who said Dallas is a possibility.

I thought it was a "source." Now, it's LeBron specifically said he wants to play for Dallas in a public quote? Can I see the quote and story? It's evolved from "liking the city of Dallas" to a "source saying LeBron would want to play for Dallas" to LeBron outright saying Dallas is a possibility?

I'm not mad if you think Dallas is a possibility. I'm expressing an opinion that it has zero chance of happening. If you don't like that, take it up with statistics and probability.

monosylab1k
11-19-2008, 03:56 PM

I'm saying with the current "legal" issues

I don't know the legal issues of the case.

:convertib

Findog
11-19-2008, 04:05 PM

Those block quotes are hilarious.

JamStone
11-19-2008, 04:06 PM

:bike:

Kill_Bill_Pana
11-19-2008, 04:13 PM
If Kobe goes to Olympiacos then Lebron has to go to PAO. The balance of power must be maintained! :lol

Unfortunate thing is NBA players that Olympiacos have been mention might want to attempt to sign with huge contracts in next couple years....

Ben Gordon
Shawn Marion
Lebron James
Lamar Odom
Kobe Bryant
Chris Bosh
Dwyane Wade

Has been mention they will even try get two of these players.

NBA players that have been mention that PAO might attempt to sign in next couple years.......

Rasho Nesterovich
Allen Iverson
Anthony Parker
Luis Scola
Peja (if he can get buyout)

:rolleyes

MarHill
11-19-2008, 06:38 PM
if lebron wants three consecutive rings, all he has to do is join the spurs in 2010. duncan will stay until 2012, parker until 2011. no other team can offer a chance to play with tim duncan.

That's funny and I'm a Spurs fan!!!

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao