PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Vaughn A Master At Transition Game

duncan228
11-19-2008, 12:54 AM
Vaughn a master at transition game (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Vaughn_a_master_at_transition_game.html)
By Jeff McDonald

Spurs point guard Jacque Vaughn makes no bones about it. He would love to be a basketball coach someday.

The operative word in that sentence is “someday.”

“Don't throw me out of the league too early, now,” the 11-year NBA veteran said with a chuckle. “I've got a lot of basketball left in me.”

Consider the first month of the season, then, to be a dress rehearsal for the far-off day when Vaughn finally trades his jump shot for a clipboard.

With Tony Parker sidelined by a sprained ankle, rookie George Hill has assumed starting point guard duties for the Spurs. It has been part of Vaughn's job to help ensure Hill — primarily a college shooting guard at IUPUI — is up to the task of running an NBA team.

For the past few weeks, Vaughn, 33, has been equal parts big brother, camp counselor and sounding board for Hill, 11 years his junior.

“Jacque has helped me out with a lot of different things,” Hill said. “He's a real big part of my life right now.”

Off the court as much as on it, Vaughn has been a crucial cog in the Spurs' three-game winning streak, which they will put to the test against the Chauncey Billups-led Denver Nuggets tonight at the AT&T Center. He is the closest thing to a player-coach the Spurs have going.

In that, Vaughn is only paying forward the veteran guidance he received when he was a rookie with Utah in 1997. There, one of his mentors was future Hall of Famer John Stockton.

“I remember when I was a rookie,” Vaughn said. “What I want to do, if there's a question, (Hill) should always feel free to come to me — any time, any day.”

So far, Hill has been eager to take Vaughn up on that offer. Barely a practice — heck, barely a timeout — goes by that Hill isn't in Vaughn's ear, picking his older teammate's brain and brushing up on the intricacies of the Spurs' system.

“The thing I love about him is he wants to learn,” Vaughn said. “He wants to get better.”

For Hill, the lessons are myriad and, at times, overwhelming. It is to be expected: He is less than a semester into his crash course in NBA Point Guard Play 101.

Not only must Hill know the ins and outs of every call the Spurs make, the expected movement of every X and every O, he must know how to execute those calls with clockwork precision.

The timing with Tim Duncan on the pick-and-roll must be just so. How does Michael Finley like the ball delivered on a curl? And so on.

Some lessons are more self-evident than others. On one possession during the Spurs' 90-88 victory at Sacramento on Sunday, the offense went haywire because Finley never heard what play was called.

Onus for that falls on the point guard.

“Georgie,” coach Gregg Popovich had to gently remind his rookie, “make sure everybody gets the call.”

Helping Hill sort it all out, both the simple and the complex, has been Vaughn — even as he has surrendered playing time to his protégé.

“Jacque is a consummate pro,” Popovich said. “He wants to play as many minutes as anybody else. But he's also taken on the task of trying to teach this young kid and make him feel comfortable in the system.”

Sometimes, the best way for Vaughn to teach Hill how to be a point guard is to show him. And so it was on the Spurs' two-game, West Coast road trip earlier this week.

With Hill scuffling at times through back-to-back victories at Sacramento and the L.A. Clippers, the Spurs turned to Vaughn to steady the ship.

Vaughn, both Hill's guru and his backup, logged 23 minutes apiece in each game. The Spurs might not have won either without him. Duncan says Vaughn brings “a calming effect” when he's on the floor.

“No fault of George, he just hasn't been here long enough,” Duncan said. “But Jacque having been here, he understands what we want to run. He's in control.”

One day, perhaps soon, Hill will have the same calming effect. That's coach Vaughn's sincere hope, anyway.

“I'm unselfish enough, and I'm his teammate, and I want us to win,” Vaughn said. “So I want him to play well.”

Cry Havoc
11-19-2008, 01:04 AM
:lmao

anakha
11-19-2008, 01:17 AM
Who was asking that question about Vaughn's mentoring again?

timtonymanu
11-19-2008, 01:21 AM
Vaughn still sucks.

SpursFan0728
11-19-2008, 01:25 AM
mcdonald is out of topics to write

Texas_Ranger
11-19-2008, 01:33 AM
:lol:lmao:rollin

Amuseddaysleeper
11-19-2008, 01:37 AM
McDonald is the worst sportswriter in history.

ca®lo
11-19-2008, 02:06 AM
mcdonald should stick to selling fries.

his article sucks!

SenorSpur
11-19-2008, 02:38 AM
To anyone who's followed Vaughn's career, this is no big surprise. He's a consummate pro and will make a fine coach someday. For now, I just wish he was a better shooter.

duncan228
11-19-2008, 02:41 AM
To anyone who's followed Vaughn's career, this is no big surprise. He's a consummate pro and will make a fine coach someday.

Do you think he'll be a good help to Hill? The article makes it sound like Hill is using him as a pretty heavily as a mentor.

SenorSpur
11-19-2008, 02:53 AM
Do you think he'll be a good help to Hill? The article makes it sound like Hill is using him as a pretty heavily as a mentor.

Absolutely. I'm sure that was what Pop was thinking when he drafted Hill. He's using JV to help mentor Hill, similarly to him having Terry Porter for Tony Parker.

ShoogarBear
11-19-2008, 05:24 AM
Sequ Bait.

Anyway, for those of you who think that teaching ability depends on playing ability: who was a better player, Jacque Vaughn or Gregg Popovich?

polandprzem
11-19-2008, 05:50 AM
Sequ Bait.

Anyway, for those of you who think that teaching ability depends on playing ability: who was a better player, Jacque Vaughn or Gregg Popovich?

Pop did not got a chance to play in NBA

;d

btw. Shoog says obvious things.
Cus d'Amato was teaching Mike Tyson, not necessery he was better boxing fighter. :d

anakha
11-19-2008, 06:06 AM
Wasn't there an article before, saying that role/bench players have made the most successful transitions into coaching?

TDMVPDPOY
11-19-2008, 06:26 AM
master and vaughn should not appear in the same sentence let alone article

mrspurs
11-19-2008, 07:21 AM
what a jip

polandprzem
11-19-2008, 07:48 AM
Btw

Cus was more then a mentor to Tyson

He was like ...

Shoog to polandprzem

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/363/29yd7.gif

ShoogarBear
11-19-2008, 08:19 AM
Except that Tyson made Cus millions. :depressed

polandprzem
11-19-2008, 08:35 AM
Shoog I've only got 160 vbooks ....
But it is always something

What's your account number?

:D

Solid D
11-19-2008, 09:10 AM
I actually thought Jeff McDonald's article was one of his better works, to date. Jeff probably had the benefit of travelling with the team and getting some decent insight, as opposed to his normal methods of players/coaches' access when the Spurs are at home.

I see improvement in Jeff McDonald's depth of information and quality of writing with this article...and I've been very critical of his work in the past.

Something has clicked with Hill in finding Timmy and Fin in the places they like the ball delivered for scoring. It's noticeable. Most of Hill's 8 assists Sunday were delivered in flow and in rhythm to score. He also had some very good ball reversals for scores...not something he'd been doing earlier.

Hill also needed to be bailed-out by Vaughn, particularly in Milwaukee, Sac, and LA when he struggled to enter the offense early enough and was tentative.

polandprzem
11-19-2008, 09:56 AM
I actually thought Jeff McDonald's article was one of his better works, to date. Jeff probably had the benefit of travelling with the team and getting some decent insight, as opposed to his normal methods of players/coaches' access when the Spurs are at home.

Well, it went to the position when everybody wants to bash Jeff. (an automatic reaction) No matter the article he putting up.
If you critisize somebody you feel better then him.

Solid D
11-19-2008, 10:03 AM
Well, it went to the position when everybody wants to bash Jeff. (an automatic reaction) No matter the article he putting up.
If you critisize somebody you feel better then him.

Words of wisdom.

tp2021
11-19-2008, 10:14 AM
Vaughn a master at transition gameI see what you did there, McDonald.

polandprzem
11-19-2008, 10:19 AM
Words of wisdom.

Umm sarcasm?

:grim:

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-19-2008, 10:26 AM
Is it possible that part of Pop's man love for Vaughn is about keeping the Spurs first in line to get him as a coach when he retires?

Solid D
11-19-2008, 10:27 AM
Umm sarcasm?

:grim:

No, absolutely not. I thought it was a good comment.

Solid D
11-19-2008, 10:33 AM
Is it possible that part of Pop's man love for Vaughn is about keeping the Spurs first in line to get him as a coach when he retires?

No, I don't think so. I think Pop straight-up likes what he sees, with the exception of Jacque's ability to score himself. As long as Jacque creates good opportunities for others to score, it's all good. I think Pop sees stability and good teaching ability. He's already paying Jacque, so why not use him as pseudo-staff member at the same time? I don't see it like the UT Mack Brown and his pre-ordained replacement scenario.

El Jefe
11-19-2008, 12:46 PM
I talked to a member of the Net's staff not too long ago. Vaughn of course was Kidd's backup there before coming to SA.

He said that Vaughn was the nicest, classiest guy he's ever met in the NBA, and that it was his opinion that he was going to be the next head coach for the Spurs.

I don't personally buy that, and it's an opinion from outside the Spurs org, so take it for what it's worth. But it still speaks to how highly some people around the league think of Vaughn.

And I think he gets a bad rap from a lot of Spurs fans. It's obvious the guy is not the most talented player on the roster, but he puts in plenty of hard work and dedication, and he plays better than the average fan thinks. He's a good example of doing the most with what you've got, and I don't see that as something to bash.

No one is going to win a championship with Vaughn playing heavy minutes, and even if you're leaning heavily on him as your backup things could get dicey. But I'd rather have a guy like Vaughn who cares then a talented player who's just going through the motions to collect a check.

Fpoonsie
11-19-2008, 12:51 PM
McDonald A Master of Hyperbole

tav1
11-19-2008, 01:00 PM
I thought it was a good article too.