PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Drama Kings

duncan228
11-19-2008, 02:09 AM
Drama Kings (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Drama_Kings.html)
By Mike Monroe - Express-News commentary

“The play’s the thing,” wrote Shakespeare, which proves only that the bard never coached an NBA team missing two of its top three scorers.

For the Spurs, the last play has been the thing in seven of their 10 games, all decided on a final possession. They have exited the stage in triumph four times. On three occasions, the curtain came down tragically.

Express-News NBA writer (and occasional critic) Mike Monroe reviews these performances, ranked in order of dramatic effect, and wonders if Gregg Popovich’s beard is intended to make him look Shakespearean.

'A Comeback Called Desire,' starring Tim Duncan

@Spurs 77, Rockets 75 — Nov. 14: Down 14 in fourth, Spurs rally with defense and timely 3-pointers. Duncan’s driving hook shot gives them a one-point lead with 59.7 seconds left. His block of Aaron Brooks’ short runner with 1.9 seconds left secures a curtain-call ending.

'Broken Glass,' starring Michael Finley

@Trail Blazers 100, Spurs 99 — Oct. 31: Roger Mason Jr. dashes the length of the court and dishes to a wide-open Finley, 8 feet from the basket on the right baseline. Time expires as Finley’s shot skids off the rim.

'Golden Child,' starring Tony Parker

Spurs 129, @Timberwolves 125 (2OT) — Nov. 5: With Spurs trailing 116-114 with 2.5 seconds left in first overtime, Parker takes Finley’s inbounds pass, wheels left, and launches a perfect 20-foot jumper that swishes as time expires. Curtain call in second OT produces career-high 55th point.

'Look Homeward, Angel,' starring Roger Mason Jr.

Spurs 86, @Clippers 83 — Nov. 17: Mason, in role usually played by Manu Ginobili, nails a 3-pointer with 8.4 seconds left for the game-winning margin as the Spurs finish their first multi-game road trip to raves.

'All's Well That Ends Well,' starring Duncan

Spurs 90, @Kings 88 — Nov. 16: After blowing an 11-point lead late, Duncan’s driving layin with 15.5 seconds left gives the Spurs a lead. Stout defense on Kings’ final shot makes game end well.

'The Comedy of Errors,' starring Duncan

@Bucks 82, Spurs 78 — Nov. 12: Spurs manage to make enough errors to allow Bucks a 21-2 second-half run. Final gaffe: Duncan blows an open 8-footer in the lane with five seconds left.

'Look Back in Anger' starring Duncan

Suns 103, @Spurs 98 — Oct. 29: It’s opening night, and the Spurs’ jitters show in the last act. Duncan clanks a 3-pointer that would have tied the score late; Gregg Popovich pans bad decisions.

1Parker1
11-19-2008, 07:33 AM
Shakespeare and Basketball? Monroe is reaching for material...

benefactor
11-19-2008, 08:14 AM
'Golden Child,' starring Tony Parker

Spurs 129, @Timberwolves 125 (2OT) — Nov. 5: With Spurs trailing 116-114 with 2.5 seconds left in first overtime, Parker takes Finley’s inbounds pass, wheels left, and launches a perfect 20-foot jumper that swishes as time expires. Curtain call in second OT produces career-high 55th point.

The first thing I thought of.....
l6LKSblw4XY
P_oR2wcden8

ShoogarBear
11-19-2008, 08:26 AM

I'm surprised he got the titles right.

ShoogarBear
11-19-2008, 08:27 AM
The first thing I thought of.....
l6LKSblw4XY
P_oR2wcden8

Charlotte Lewis.

:tu

gingerwave
11-19-2008, 08:37 AM

I agree!

ShoogarBear
11-19-2008, 08:44 AM

I agree!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51S3R74BDCL._SL500_.jpg

1Parker1
11-19-2008, 09:24 AM
^:lol