PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Ginobili 'Ahead Of Schedule' (Parker As Many As 3 More Weeks)

duncan228
11-19-2008, 01:12 PM
Jeff McDonald: Ginobili 'ahead of schedule' (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/archives/2008/11/jeff_mcdonald_g_14.html)

It's beginning to look like that mid-December return date for Manu Ginobili represents the worst-case scenario for the Spurs.

The NBA's reigning Sixth Man of the Year is "ahead of schedule" in his return from offseason ankle surgery, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said after Wednesday morning's shootaround. Ginobili began playing some 2-on-2 earlier this week, a significant signpost in his recovery.

"He's been going 2-on-2," Popovich said. "We've got to get him to 5-on-5 here in the next couple of weeks."

Popovich declined to put a firm timetable on Ginobili's return, but there has been speculation it could come before the end of the month. Originally, Ginobili had been expected back by the middle of December.

Meanwhile, Tony Parker -- the Spurs' other injured All-Star -- continues to make progress in his return from a left ankle sprain. Injured Nov. 11, Parker has commenced a rehab regimen under the supervision of strength coach Mike Brungardt.

"Tony is moving the ankle around, lifting on it," Popovich said. "He's on the court taking a few shots here and there. It's looking pretty good. He's progressing pretty well."

Parker is expected to miss as many as three more weeks.

urunobili
11-19-2008, 01:15 PM
we should have one of those "guess and win a prize" kind of threads to see who guesses the game he'll play again!

Manufan909
11-19-2008, 01:16 PM
What's more advanced, 1-1, or 2-2? I'd guess 2-2, but it depends who you're playing. Hoping Bowen shutting him down, so he really has to exert himself. Smart move putting Sean on his side, Manu would eat his ass for breakfast.

temujin
11-19-2008, 02:53 PM
Worrisome.
They need to hold him back as long as possible.

duncan228
11-19-2008, 02:56 PM
Worrisome.
They need to hold him back as long as possible.

We knew this was going to happen, it's who Manu is. He wants to be on the court. He'll be chomping at the bit as soon as he feels he can play.

I hope however it's decided that he is as close to 100% as we can get.

honestfool84
11-19-2008, 03:09 PM
we should have one of those "guess and win a prize" kind of threads to see who guesses the game he'll play again!

i second that.
we should have a poll or something, with 15 different possible scenarios.

We knew this was going to happen, it's who Manu is. He wants to be on the court. He'll be chomping at the bit as soon as he feels he can play.

i think pop won't play manu until he knows manu is completely ready; im pretty sure pop is smart enough to not risk the rest of the season for one, two, or three extra games.

i'd rather him get an extra week of rest then play three games.

it'd be better to be 1-2, or 2-1 than to have ginobili come back one game too early.

hater
11-19-2008, 03:10 PM

like I been saying it for weeks. Tony + Manu will both be back for the Dallas mid-december game

temujin
11-19-2008, 03:18 PM

As a rule of thumb, they should just wait a couple of weeks from the very moment when he tells them he feels "ready".

Ghjkll
11-19-2008, 03:27 PM
As much as we need him to play, he has to come back to play only if heīs 100 % or close to it. Manu would probably say heīs ready before he should, thatīs his competitive nature. Right now Finley has the hot hand and the team stepped up his defense, so we need to wait as long as possible to have him back.
Remember at the Olympics, he even did the warm up before the game against Lithuania. It was clear that he couldnīt play, but he wanted to try at least. Thatīs how badly he wants to win, but sometimes itīs not the smartest decision.

mrspurs
11-19-2008, 03:34 PM
Yep there wasnt no holding Manu back. Like it or not in the end, Manu makes the decision. Not Pop and not a Doc.

K...
11-19-2008, 04:29 PM

Hijack: "Official Manu's countdown thread: Manu is back!"

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109984

tmtcsc
11-19-2008, 04:32 PM

Memphis: Nov. 28

nil.ball
11-19-2008, 04:45 PM
Will he be the same Manu? The savior of my fantasy league team.

Allanon
11-19-2008, 05:16 PM
I agree with some of the posts, just hold him back until he's 110% ready. There's nothing worse than bringing back a player too soon.

Already this season, we saw DWill come back too soon and now he's laid up again..probably longer than he would have been if he had just waited a few weeks more.

Spurs Brazil
11-19-2008, 05:29 PM
Great news about Manu.

I think 1st week of December I'd be perfect

completely deck
11-19-2008, 08:02 PM
Will he be the same Manu? The savior of my fantasy league team.

The same as last year? Nah, probably not until the end of the regular season.

Take it slow, Manu.

duncan228
11-19-2008, 11:56 PM
Updated. Or re-written. Something's different. :lol

Spurs' Ginobili "ahead of schedule;" Parker's rehab going well (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_Ginobili_ahead_of_schedule_Parkers_rehab_goi ng_well.html)
By Jeff McDonald

The cavalry might arrive more quickly than the Spurs at first anticipated.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said Wednesday guards Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker are recuperating faster than expected from their respective left ankle injuries.

Ginobili, who had surgery to repair a ligament impingement in September and has yet to dress for a game, began playing 2-on-2 earlier this week.

“I think he's ahead of schedule,” Popovich said after the team's shootaround Wednesday morning. “He's been going 2-on-2. We've got to get him to 5-on-5 here in the next couple of weeks.”

Popovich declined to attach a firm timetable to Ginobili's return, but there has been speculation it could come before the end of the month. Originally, Ginobili had been expected back by the middle of December.

Parker, who has missed six games since spraining his ankle Nov. 7, is in the throes of a rehabilitation regimen under the supervision of strength coach Mike Brungardt. He went through some light shooting on the AT&T Center court before Wednesday's game against Denver.

“(Parker) did a good job of staying on the crutches, keeping his leg up at night, getting the swelling out of there,” Popovich said. “It's still going to take some time, but he and Manu have both come back a little sooner than we had anticipated.”

T Park
11-20-2008, 12:07 AM
I bet Ginobili is back for the Dec 2nd vs Detroit or the 4th vs Denver.

The Truth #6
11-20-2008, 01:39 AM
I wish he had mentioned something about Ian's timetable.

T Park
11-20-2008, 01:40 AM
Ian probobly comes back a week or two after Parker I would guess.

lefty
11-20-2008, 02:14 AM
http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/4005/manubananabepr7.gif

Manufan909
11-20-2008, 02:27 AM
http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/4005/manubananabepr7.gif

Peanut butter jelly time!!!

And who's the hotty in your sig?

JPB
11-20-2008, 06:00 AM
Tony said last night on a french radio that he was recovering faster than expected and could be back as soon as next week...

Maybe wishfull thinking from TP.

homer
11-20-2008, 07:07 AM
like I been saying it for weeks. Tony + Manu will both be back for the Dallas mid-december game

My guess is that both Tony and Manu come back for a home game on Sat., Dec. 6th against Golden State. My guess is based on several reasons.
1. It's a home game VS the away game at Dallas.
2. It should be a win, with or without them, which will make it easier on them
instead of throwing them into a hard game versus Dallas right off of injuries.
3.12/06 is my B-Day and that would be the perfect present. I'll be there.
4. That will give them a game under their belts to prepare for Dallas.
:king

Brazil
11-20-2008, 07:41 AM
. There's nothing worse than bringing back a player too soon.

I fully agree with that nothing worse, I don't know why Houston has played TMac yesterday, painful to watch.

Bender
11-20-2008, 08:48 AM
And who's the hotty in your sig?
Garnett.

I don't find him hot.