PDA

View Full Version : Henry intends to play despite bruised ribs

ducks
09-24-2003, 09:40 PM
Henry intends to play despite bruised ribs

By JOHN WAWROW, AP Sports Writer
September 24, 2003

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP) -- Travis Henry intends to play Sunday despite bruised ribs.

Listed as questionable on Wednesday, the Buffalo Bills running back said the decision to play is his. And Henry added that torn rib cartilage isn't going to prevent him from lining up when the Bills host Philadelphia this weekend.

``My mind-set is I'm playing,'' Henry said. ``That's what I got. And I'm preparing to be out there to help the football team.''

Henry even made a point to announce his intentions to his teammates during a meeting earlier in the day.

``Everybody was wondering what was going on so, at the team meeting, I stood up and told everybody: `Don't count me out,''' he said, despite admitting that his ribs were quite sore.

Henry was held out of practice on Wednesday, watching from the sideline in his jersey and sweatpants.

He was hurt when driven into the ground and had the ball jam into his chest early in the second quarter of Sunday's 17-7 loss at Miami. After a few more plays, Henry pulled himself out of the game, saying the pain was unbearable.

``He was significantly better on Monday, he was better on Tuesday and he's better today in the workouts, which he started first thing this morning,'' coach Gregg Williams said.

The Bills (2-1) need Henry considering the status of their backfield.

Backup Sammy Morris will miss at least two weeks after having surgery on Monday to repair a sports hernia. Backup fullback Philip Crosby is doubtful with a cracked bone in his lower leg.

The injuries leave the Bills with one healthy tailback, third-stringer Joe Burns, a second-year player, who had six carries for 22 yards after replacing Henry.

Burns played with Buffalo's starting unit in practice and was backed up by practice squad-member Ken Simonton. The Bills also signed running back Nick Maddox to their practice squad, making room by cutting receiver Jerel Myers.

Williams said Simonton would be activated if Henry isn't able to play.

The Bills' running game was struggling even before Henry was hurt. Buffalo ranks last in the NFL with 2.4 yards per attempt, and 31st with 63.7 yards rushing per game.

Henry, fifth in the NFL last season with 1,438 yards rushing, leads the Bills with five touchdowns but has managed just 122 yards rushing.

Henry had five carries for 7 yards against Miami, and also threw an interception on a halfback option.

Quarterback Drew Bledsoe said the Bills have to be ready with or without Henry.

``We're not going to go and change our package,'' Bledsoe said. ``Joe's got to step up and get the job done. ... We're asking him to do a lot but we expect him to step in and do it. And I have confidence thathe will do it.'link (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-bills-henry&prov=ap&type=lgns)