PDA

View Full Version : Giving George Hill some time at Shooting Guard...

Amuseddaysleeper
11-19-2008, 04:10 PM
Since Hill was mostly a SG back in college, is it possible that upon Parker's return we might see Hill do some time at the SG position?

xtremesteven33
11-19-2008, 04:12 PM
too small...even for pop i would think

ChumpDumper
11-19-2008, 04:14 PM
He's been doing it all along. You may not have noticed since the point guard in those lineups is 6'5".

Amuseddaysleeper
11-19-2008, 04:15 PM
He's been doing it all along. You may not have noticed since the point guard in those lineups is 6'5".

Ahh, I see.

mrspurs
11-19-2008, 04:20 PM
Of course he will. There were many games that Pargo and CP3 played in at the same time. Another great set were Thomas and Dumars. Once Hill gets more comfy, I can see him and TP playing together. Hills arms make it easier for him to guard taller guys. He can already out rebound Fab...Oops that slipped.

MoSpur
11-19-2008, 04:29 PM
There were a few times before Parker went down that Hill was playing alongside of Parker.

xtremesteven33
11-19-2008, 04:32 PM
i dont see pop doing it often. In special occasions yes, but not reguraly.....He had Udoka at PF at some points,haha so i guess anythings possible.

ANYTHINGS POSSIBLLLLLEEEEE!!!!

i had to....

tp2021
11-19-2008, 04:33 PM
i dont see pop doing it often. In special occasions yes, but not reguraly.....He had Udoka at PF at some points,haha so i guess anythings possible.

ANYTHINGS POSSIBLLLLLEEEEE!!!!

i had to....
KG did too, apparently. :lol

lefty
11-19-2008, 04:36 PM
No.

Hill needs more time at the PG spot to develop, because I son't want to see JV on the court anymore.

lurker23
11-19-2008, 06:22 PM
I've been thinking about this as well, and I think in order to give Hill enough playing time, you have to have Hill and Parker on the court at the same time for at least a little bit. After Tony returns, I expect him to average 33-34 minutes per game, as he did last year. The question is, is 15 mpg enough for Hill? (And that would be if you eliminate JV from the rotation completely.)

Ideally, I'd like to see Hill get 20 minutes per game, which would mean 5 mpg of Hill+Parker in the backcourt. However, I'm not sure that it would be Parker at PG, Hill at SG. I think Parker would fit on the wings a little better than Hill, as he can create his own shot more easily.

timvp
11-19-2008, 06:28 PM
It'll be tough to find him minutes at shooting guard when everyone is healthy. Manu and Mason alone will eat up a lot of minutes and that's not considering minutes Finley will get at the position.

It might be useful against small backcourts ... like Kidd and Terry on the Mavs or Williams and West on the Cavs.

MarHill
11-19-2008, 06:32 PM
No.

Hill needs more time at the PG spot to develop, because I son't want to see JV on the court anymore.

Well you will..because JV knows how to run the team and is a solid back-up PG.

galvatron3000
11-19-2008, 06:43 PM
Won't be possible when heealthy. He will be at the pg spot or riding the pine. Not taking Manu's minutes nor Mason's. Fin, Udoak and Bowen will tackel the rest so the pg is the only available spot.

Obstructed_View
11-19-2008, 08:07 PM
He absolutely will. Pop will use different combinations of the four guards for different situations and matchups, and you'll find George at the 2 a lot, even if he's got Mason or Manu in the game with him.

barbacoataco
11-19-2008, 09:01 PM
When everyone is healthy the Spurs will have plenty of SG options- Ginobili, Mason, Finley and really Udoka is really more of a SG than a SF.

To me it is obvious that the problem is lack of player options at SF. They have no one who is a true SF. By this I mean a 6'8"-6'9" long wingspan type of player who can defend players like West or Dirk. I know it is hard to find guys with that skill set, but I just can't believe they can't spend one roster spot in a project type player. It seems they are more worried about having a capable 3rd string PG than filling the one glaring weakness that most Spurs fans have noticed since SJAx left.

Obstructed_View
11-19-2008, 09:55 PM
When everyone is healthy the Spurs will have plenty of SG options- Ginobili, Mason, Finley and really Udoka is really more of a SG than a SF.

To me it is obvious that the problem is lack of player options at SF. They have no one who is a true SF. By this I mean a 6'8"-6'9" long wingspan type of player who can defend players like West or Dirk. I know it is hard to find guys with that skill set, but I just can't believe they can't spend one roster spot in a project type player. It seems they are more worried about having a capable 3rd string PG than filling the one glaring weakness that most Spurs fans have noticed since SJAx left.

In fairness, can you think of anyone that fits that description that they passed on or didn't try to get? Hell, how many of those guys are there in the league that aren't locked up?