PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Toyota Tundras

CharlieMac
11-19-2008, 10:19 PM
Any one have experience with one of these trucks? I'm pretty close to trading in the Tacoma and wanted to hear anyones thoughts or opinions on the truck.

Obstructed_View
11-20-2008, 01:15 AM
Aren't those trucks made in San Antonio? Hello? Anyone?

BacktoBasics
11-20-2008, 09:18 AM
I think its a great truck. Better than the 3 American 1/2 versions. I don't know what kind of info you're looking for.

Twisted_Dawg
11-20-2008, 09:54 AM
Gas Guzzler. Don't be lulled by the current low prices. In 2 years when gas is rocketing back up, you may regret the day you bought that truck.

BacktoBasics
11-20-2008, 10:48 AM
You get roughly 19mpg. Thats what I'm hearing from the people who actually drive them not just some advertised mpg. 19mpg isn't what I would consider a gas guzzler.

byrontx
11-20-2008, 02:12 PM
A lot depends on how you use it. Are you an avid outdoorsman that needs 4x4 and goes into rough terrain? If so, you may be better off with the Ford or Dodge (check out Ford's torture test advertisement here-http://www.fordvehicles.com/trucks/f150/). Will you use it as a primary vehicle and drive in a lot of traffic; using it for runs to Home Depot? Good truck for that. It handles very well and rides smooth and who is going to argue with Toyota's build quality (though trucks is one area the big 3 hold their own). I do not have a dog in that fight, I drive a 4Runner. I drive it on PINS where getting stuck can mean a $1500 tow fee; if you don't loose the vehicle.

BacktoBasics
11-20-2008, 02:15 PM
You can't compare a Tundra to a 4runner. I do agree that Fords are pretty good. They're pretty much next on my list and 1st for towing.

Dodge is junk. Not only is the quality the worst of the bunch but the resale is the lowest.

Anti.Hero
11-20-2008, 02:26 PM
I think its a great truck. Better than the 3 American 1/2 versions.

What do you base this on?

My father currently owns a 2002 chevy 2500HD, 2003 GMC 1/2 ton, 2008 Chevy 1/2 ton and they have all been flawless. The new tundras are a tad bit beefier than the chevy's but still have their flaws. If you keep them stock you really won't begin to have any problems until around 90k miles; even then only worn tie rods, etc. The transmissions are probably the weakest link for chevy's.

These trucks really aren't gas guzzlers. Especially the newer ones. I can easily pull 20 mpg in my 1/2 ton on road trips.

BacktoBasics
11-20-2008, 02:48 PM
What do you base this on?

My father currently owns a 2002 chevy 2500HD, 2003 GMC 1/2 ton, 2008 Chevy 1/2 ton and they have all been flawless. The new tundras are a tad bit beefier than the chevy's but still have their flaws. If you keep them stock you really won't begin to have any problems until around 90k miles; even then only worn tie rods, etc. The transmissions are probably the weakest link for chevy's.
These trucks really aren't gas guzzlers. Especially the newer ones. I can easily pull 20 mpg in my 1/2 ton on road trips.
With emphasis on the transmissions being weak.

Dodge being the worst.

Chevy isn't all that bad. Just behind Ford in overall quality and amount of recalls over the last 5 years. The Allison transmission is pretty good. The diesels are ok which you can't get on a Tundra. So you can't really compare 3/4 tons or diesels. Fords tow better at higher speeds over longer trips. Thats right out of the mouths of the guys who deliver all of our trailers year round.

Toyota's have the least service the least recalls and as far as half tons go they get the best gas mileage in tow over 50mph.

In my opinion I think the Dodge's look the best. Half ton that is.

I like the Super Duties otherwise.