PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Mailbag: Putting The 'Prize' In Consolation Prize

duncan228
11-19-2008, 11:01 PM
Spurs Mailbag: Putting the 'prize' in consolation prize (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_Mailbag_Putting_the_prize_in_consolation_pri ze.html)
By Jeff McDonald

If Corey Maggette had possessed an insatiable hunger for Tex-Mex and had been willing to scrape by on three million less this season, he might be in San Antonio right now.

If Jannero Pargo hadn’t decided it’s worth more than three million to study Russian for a year, he might be here, too.

If that second scenario had happened, rookie George Hill would be further behind. Had the first occurred, Roger Mason Jr. wouldn’t have been here at all.

Mason was the Spurs’ second choice in free-agency, after Maggette spurned them for a five-year, $50-million offer from Golden State. Hill quickly rose up the Spurs’ depth chart when Pargo opted to take $3.5 million from Moscow Dyanmo instead of donning silver and black.

The Spurs are now better for both of them.

Outside of the obvious (Tim Duncan) Mason has probably been the star of the first two weeks for the Spurs. He’s shown an uncanny ability to score and knock down shots under pressure (see the L.A. Clippers). Unlike Maggette, he’s also flashed a game of subtlety that will mesh well when Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker return.

Arguably, the Spurs would be better off in the present tense with Pargo over Hill, especially with Parker and all his scoring on the sidelines for a while. But the Spurs might be better off in the long-term with Hill, whose defensive presence ought to make him a handful as Parker’s backup one day.

With no Pargo around to steal minutes, Hill is getting the playing time he needs to grow up quickly.

So the Spurs missed out on a couple of their Plan As in free agency. Their Plan Bs are working out fine.

Now, let’s take a look inside the ol’ mail sack ...
__

With the Blazers supposedly shopping their young talent on the bench (i.e.; Nick Batum, a.k.a. the “First-Name-on-The-Spurs-Board-in-2008”) for some veteran help in the backcourt, would the Spurs be willing to part with the quintessential coach on the floor, Jacque Vaughn, to get younger?
— Sam, San Antonio

I’m not sure how actively the Blazers are shopping Batum, but I do know this: They would never make this deal. Not unless Kevin Pritchard got into some of Josh Howard’s stash, if you know what I mean.
___

Instead of playing George Hill at the starting point, why not start Vaughn and let Hill come off the bench, since he is more of a floor leader than Hill?
— Ronnie Guest, Topeka, Kan.

I wouldn’t be shocked if this happened at some point. Hill is a talent, sure, but he’s a young, still-learning talent. Sometimes, the offense just works better with Vaughn in there. He doesn’t have Hill’s athletic upside, but as this point, he’s steadier.

Meanwhile, those of you itching for the start of the Blake Ahearn Era might not want to hold your breath.
__

When are the Spurs going to get Tim Duncan help at the center position?
— Roy Jalomo, Edinburg

When they tank the 2007 season, win the lottery and draft Greg Oden. At least, that would have been my answer in early 2006. In 2008, I’m stumped.
__

What do you think about the new players on the team? Do you think it will be easy for them to adapt to Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili, Fabricio Oberto and Tony Parker?
— Juanfra, Argentina

I was talking to Kings coach Reggie Theus earlier this week in Sacramento, and he sort of touched on this topic. The Spurs — especially newcomer Roger Mason Jr. — seem to have kind-of, sort-of adjusted to life without Ginobili and Parker.

When those two come back, the team is going to have to adjust to playing with them again. It sounds simple, Theus said, but it’s really not. It’s like learning to ride a bicycle all over again, in a different way.

Granted taking chestnuts from Theus about coaching might be a bit like taking parenting tips from Britney Spears, but in this case, it sounds about right.
__

Will the Spurs get Stephon Marbury?
— Richard Reyes, Los Angeles

Let me speak for Gregg Popovich, R.C. Buford and the entire Spurs organization when I say: Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!
___

Does Ian Mahinmi have enough leather to earn some regular minutes when he comes back from injured reserve? — Charlie, San Antonio

Maybe it’s a generational thing, but I have no idea what the word “leather” means in this context. I’m assuming Mahinmi has as much — or as little — dried, tanned cowhide as anyone else (except maybe certain Village Persons).

What I do know is that the Spurs expect Mahinmi to be able to help them on the NBA level this season. We’d expect him back in San Antonio sooner, rather than later, leather-clad or not.
__

Why did the Spurs get rid of Calvin Watkins if defense is supposed to be their strong point? — Cindy, (No hometown given)

A better question is this: If Calvin Watkins is so great, how come 29 other NBA teams passed on him, and how come he’s now playing in China? Even the Chinese don’t want to play in China.
__

Why doesn’t Pop get Stephen Jackson back to replace Bruce Bowen? Bowen is not defending well anymore.
— Joseph, Naples, Florida

Not sure which is the more appalling part of this question, the apparent belief that there is no such thing as an NBA salary cap, or the thought that adding Jackson might somehow improve the Spurs’ defense.

I guess if the NBA were a one-team fantasy league, and Pop could pick up anyone he wanted at any time with no repercussions whatsoever, he might give Jackson a shot. Or, he’d probably just pick up Kobe Bryant (who, by the way, actually would help with the defense).

tp2021
11-19-2008, 11:06 PM
Why did the Spurs get rid of Calvin Watkins if defense is supposed to be their strong point? — Cindy, (No hometown given)

A better question is this: If Calvin Watkins is so great, how come 29 other NBA teams passed on him, and how come he’s now playing in China? Even the Chinese don’t want to play in China.

Did they confuse Daryl Watkins with Calvin Booth or something?

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-19-2008, 11:12 PM

After a quick image.google search of Calvin Watkins, I found this:

http://spec.lib.vt.edu/archives/blackhistory/timeline/pics/groove.gif

According to the page it was founded, he is the first on the bottom row.

timvp
11-19-2008, 11:14 PM
McDonald might as well ask the questions and let random fans answer.

duncan228
11-19-2008, 11:20 PM

:lmao

I'm still surprised that he has the job this season. I thought for sure they'd replace him over the summer.

Das Texan
11-20-2008, 12:17 AM

the answers sure as hell would be more insightful and probably accurate as well.

1Parker1
11-20-2008, 08:58 AM
Anyone have a picture of McDonald? I'm curious to see what he looks like...

MaNuMaNiAc
11-20-2008, 09:08 AM

http://www.mediabistro.com/unbeige/original/Ronald%20McDonald.jpg

Sure as hell writes like someone who'd look like this, don't you think? :lol

1Parker1
11-20-2008, 09:46 AM
^:lol True...that about matches what I thought he looked like!

Brazil
11-20-2008, 09:57 AM
http://www.mediabistro.com/unbeige/original/Ronald%20McDonald.jpg

Sure as hell writes like someone who'd look like this, don't you think? :lol

:lmao

gingerwave
11-20-2008, 09:59 AM
the answers sure as hell would be more insightful and probably accurate as well.

That's the truth!

mountainballer
11-20-2008, 10:03 AM
http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2008/01/aaron_broder.jpg

G-Nob
11-20-2008, 10:38 AM
Thats funny, mountainballer