PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Frustrated Duncan Does Some Teaching

duncan228
11-20-2008, 01:16 AM
Frustrated Duncan does some teaching (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Frustrated_Duncan_does_some_teaching.html)
By Mike Monroe

On a night when he made only 4 of 13 shots and got so frustrated he picked up the Spurs' first technical foul of the young season, team captain Tim Duncan still tried to find a way to help his young teammates.

During a time out with 3:11 remaining against a Nuggets team that had led by as many as 21 in the fourth quarter of Wednesday's game at AT&T Center, Duncan did all the talking to the Spurs who were about to go back on the court. Coach Gregg Popovich and his assistants remained on the outside of the circle around the players and let Duncan speak.

“It's one of those situations where we've all been there,” said veteran Bruce Bowen, the team's oldest player, “where we're trying to get a point across and Pop doesn't want to disturb us. It's a teaching moment, and Pop understands, and he just lets you go with it.

“It's more or less just trying to continue to encourage guys. Even though it might seem like it's really tough, it's good to help us build something in the future. We can look back at a lot of these losses and learn from them.”

Popovich liked the response Duncan got from George Hill, Anthony Tolliver, Roger Mason Jr., Matt Bonner and Blake Ahearn, who closed out the game by outscoring the Nuggets in the final three minutes.

“I was really proud of our guys,” Popovich said. “I thought they played hard for 48 minutes. They did a very good job in a lot of ways, and I thought they played with class and they played with effort the entire time.”

With All-Star guards Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili, two of the Spurs' top three scorers last season, out with ankle injuries, Duncan has carried a large portion of the Spurs scoring burden thus far. His output Wednesday was his lowest of the season.

Michael Finley, who had scored 40 points in the previous two games, said an off night for Duncan should not automatically mean a loss for the Spurs, even without Parker and Ginobili.

“No, it's not all on Tim,” Finley said. “If our defense can stay constant, we still give ourselves a good chance to win. Tonight, we were getting defensive stops. We were just having what coach (Popovich) calls dry possessions.”

A fresh idea: After Nuggets' center Nene ripped a rebound right out of Bonner's hands and dunked with five minutes remaining in the second quarter, Popovich used the next official stoppage to get Bonner out of the game for an animated talk.

When he finally got back in the game in the second half, Bonner tried to show he had learned a lesson.

“I had his deodorant in my hair after that play in the first half,” Bonner said. “I tried to box him out, but didn't do a good enough job. At the end of the day, I decided I'd rather get a foul, boxing him out, rather than let him get the rebound and get pulled out of the game again. A pretty easy choice.”

DannyT
11-20-2008, 01:21 AM
Frustrated Duncan does some teaching (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Frustrated_Duncan_does_some_teaching.html)
By Mike Monroe

“I had his deodorant in my hair after that play in the first half,” Bonner said. “I tried to box him out, but didn't do a good enough job. At the end of the day, I decided I'd rather get a foul, boxing him out, rather than let him get the rebound and get pulled out of the game again. A pretty easy choice.”

fucking bonner....

Blackjack
11-20-2008, 01:24 AM

:lmao :lmao :lmao

DPG21920
11-20-2008, 01:32 AM
I am proud of the way Bonner is playing and responding to his mistakes.

timaios
11-20-2008, 01:38 AM
“I had his deodorant in my hair after that play in the first half,” Bonner said. “I tried to box him out, but didn't do a good enough job."

Quote of the month ! :lol

T Park
11-20-2008, 01:39 AM
I thought other than that play Matt Bonner played another damn good game.

He played good defense, and busted ass on rebounding.

8 and 8.

If you get that from him every night your freaking elated.

Hell, thats all I expected out of Rasho when he signed :lol

Fabbs
11-20-2008, 02:24 AM

During a time out with 3:11 remaining against a Nuggets team that had led by as many as 21 in the fourth quarter of Wednesday's game at AT&T Center, Duncan did all the talking to the Spurs who were about to go back on the court. Coach Gregg Popovich and his assistants remained on the outside of the circle around the players and let Duncan speak.

3:11 of this game. Now if we can increase this to 48 minutes by the time the playoffs come around, we have a shot at another championship.

Ice009
11-20-2008, 04:59 AM
Bonner actually played OK.

He's now had 4 good games in a row. This is some good play from Bonner. I like it. He looks so much more focused out there. He's not worried about his mistakes too much anymore. Maybe it's starting to come together for Matt and he is getting it?

mrspurs
11-20-2008, 07:12 AM
2-17 from beyond the arc. We make a few more and its a different game. We make half and we win the game. Living and dieing from beyond the arc is a slow death. Ill have to say it. The nuggets are a different team without AI and with Billups. They played some pretty good D for a Karl team. But we lost because of 2 things. Our shots wouldnt fall. And their shots were falling.

Fabbs
11-20-2008, 09:36 AM
2-17 from beyond the arc. We make a few more and its a different game. We make half and we win the game. Living and dieing from beyond the arc is a slow death. Ill have to say it. The nuggets are a different team without AI and with Billups. They played some pretty good D for a Karl team. But we lost because of 2 things. Our shots wouldnt fall. And their shots were falling.
So why wont Numb Nutts order the perimeter players to take the ball to the rack?

peacemaker885
11-20-2008, 12:30 PM
Looks like Matt's replacing Brent as the funny guy :)

Cry Havoc
11-20-2008, 01:29 PM
I thought other than that play Matt Bonner played another damn good game.

He played good defense, and busted ass on rebounding.

8 and 8.

If you get that from him every night your freaking elated.

Hell, thats all I expected out of Rasho when he signed :lol

I'm actually fine with 6 and 4 from Rash... er, Bonner, as long as he plays good rotational defense and keeps the other team off the offensive boards. Heck, if he played an excellent defensive game and shut down the short rebounds, Bonner doesn't even need to score to make me happy.

That said, 8 and 8 is good. I couldn't see the game very well because I was watching an online feed and it was bleeeeeeeeeeeeh.

duncan228
11-20-2008, 01:45 PM
Looks like Matt's replacing Brent as the funny guy :)

Mason Jr. holding his own too.

From the Ludden article:

Duncan, too, has surprised some of his new teammates. “I didn’t know he had so much personality,” Mason said.

polandprzem
11-20-2008, 02:39 PM
Everybody has a personality, but Tims one is really intriguing.

Many people just do not take a closer look and just caling him boring and taht's their all analysis.

I myself try to look more inside in peoples minds because it interests me.
And being Tims fan (more then fan) it gives me something I can look at when something is not going my way. It helps. Ofcourse I've got more "models" and personalities I can look at and well it helps me to be better person.

Taking that quality and transfer into my life.

duncan228
11-20-2008, 02:46 PM
Everybody has a personality, but Tims one is really intriguing.

Duncan's game caught me, who he shows us he is reeled me in. He's smart, quick witted, loyal, caring, and as humble as he can be in the position he's in. It is an intriguing set of qualities and he balances them really well.

polandprzem
11-20-2008, 02:57 PM
Duncan's game caught me, who he shows us he is reeled me in. He's smart, quick witted, loyal, caring, and as humble as he can be in the position he's in. It is an intriguing set of qualities and he balances them really well.

He is ... Tim Duncan

[to phrase Pop about Manu]

DROB4EVER
11-20-2008, 04:22 PM
By Mike Monroe

On a night when he made only 4 of 13 shots and got so frustrated he picked up the Spurs' first technical foul of the young season, team captain Tim Duncan still tried to find a way to help his young teammates.

“It's one of those situations where we've all been there,” said veteran Bruce Bowen, the team's oldest player, “where we're trying to get a point across and Pop doesn't want to disturb us. It's a teaching moment, and Pop understands, and he just lets you go with it.

“It's more or less just trying to continue to encourage guys. Even though it might seem like it's really tough, it's good to help us build something in the future. We can look back at a lot of these losses and learn from them.”

Popovich liked the response Duncan got from George Hill, Anthony Tolliver, Roger Mason Jr., Matt Bonner and Blake Ahearn, who closed out the game by outscoring the Nuggets in the final three minutes.

“I was really proud of our guys,” Popovich said. “I thought they played hard for 48 minutes. They did a very good job in a lot of ways, and I thought they played with class and they played with effort the entire time.”

With All-Star guards Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili, two of the Spurs' top three scorers last season, out with ankle injuries, Duncan has carried a large portion of the Spurs scoring burden thus far. His output Wednesday was his lowest of the season.

Michael Finley, who had scored 40 points in the previous two games, said an off night for Duncan should not automatically mean a loss for the Spurs, even without Parker and Ginobili.

“No, it's not all on Tim,” Finley said. “If our defense can stay constant, we still give ourselves a good chance to win. Tonight, we were getting defensive stops. We were just having what coach (Popovich) calls dry possessions.”

A fresh idea: After Nuggets' center Nene ripped a rebound right out of Bonner's hands and dunked with five minutes remaining in the second quarter, Popovich used the next official stoppage to get Bonner out of the game for an animated talk.

When he finally got back in the game in the second half, Bonner tried to show he had learned a lesson.

Heres an idea, JUST DONT PLAY HIS ASS AND MAKE A TRADE FOR A BIG WHO WILL HOLD ONTO THE BALL!!!

tomtom
11-20-2008, 08:40 PM
bawww harder

Russ
11-20-2008, 10:04 PM
Why do I think that Duncan is going to have a monster game against Utah tomorrow night? :)

Avitus1
11-20-2008, 11:19 PM
Why do I think that Duncan is going to have a monster game against Utah tomorrow night? :)

+1