PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Nuggets throttle Spurs

Blackjack
11-20-2008, 01:40 AM
Nuggets throttle Spurs
Jeff McDonald- Express-News

Denver guard Dahntay Jones took a lazy dribble, then a second, then a third, then an 11th and 12th. All the Spurs could do, as the last buzzer sounded, was look at him.

Accustomed to that sound signaling a moment of either sudden jubilation or sudden dejection, what happened to them Wednesday night was an anomaly. When the horn blared on a 91-81 Nuggets victory at the AT&T Center, with Jones dribbling out the clock, the Spurs felt ... well, nothing really.

Behind 22 points from Chauncey Billups and 21 from Carmelo Anthony, Denver cruised to a 21-point lead in the third quarter that, for the first time in a week for the Spurs, transformed the final horn into mere formality.

“It's a long season,” said Spurs rookie George Hill, who led the Spurs with a career-high 20 points. “We're not expecting to play our best ball right now.”

The loss snapped a three-game winning streak for the Spurs. All three of those victories — over Houston, Sacramento and the L.A. Clippers — came down to the final possession.

So did the Spurs' most recent loss before Wednesday, 82-78 at Milwaukee on Nov. 12.

This one wasn't even seriously in doubt at the halftime horn, with Denver ahead 50-40 and surging.

With the victory, the Nuggets (8-4) improved to 7-1 since acquiring Billups in a Nov. 3 swap of stars that shipped Allen Iverson to Detroit. The 5-6 Spurs, meanwhile, missed a chance to climb over .500 for the first time.

“It's disappointing,” Spurs forward Bruce Bowen said. “At the same time, you have to take the loss as a learning lesson. You have to keep fighting throughout the game.”

This was bound to happen sooner or later. After all, NBA teams down two of their three best players tend to lose every now and then.

With no Tony Parker and no Manu Ginobili, there will be nights when 91 points will not only beat the Spurs but beat them handily.

Tim Duncan had 12 points and 11 rebounds for the Spurs, but he shot 4 of 13 from the field. It was the lowest scoring performance of the season for Duncan, who sat the entire fourth quarter with the game no longer in question.

“I never let Tim do what he wants to do,” said Denver's Kenyon Martin, the man most often assigned to Duncan. “I never have, I never will.”

Paramount in the Spurs' success of late has been an uncanny ability to keep opposing offenses from doing what they want to do — and accomplishing that without fouling.

In the five games leading up to Wednesday, the Spurs hadn't allowed more than 90 points, while giving up an average of 16.4 free throws. By halftime Wednesday, Denver had already surpassed that number, trekking to the foul line 17 times.

The Nuggets finished the game 25 of 31 from the foul line, though the Spurs were in the ballpark (21 of 28). Anthony shot 10 of them for Denver, making nine, while Billups was a pristine 9 of 9.

This did not go over well with the AT&T Center crowd: When Billups went crashing into referee Mark Wunderlich in the third quarter, sending the official tumbling into the scorers' table, it drew perhaps the loudest cheer of the night.

For the Spurs, the game came unraveled quite spectacularly.

With the Spurs down 66-53 with 2:12 to go in the third quarter, Duncan missed two free throws. Billups answered with a basket on the other end.

After another Spurs miss, the Nuggets put together a five-point possession — getting an Anthony free throw off a Duncan technical foul, another Anthony free throw after a defensive 3-second call, and a Billups 3-pointer.

By the time the Spurs got the ball back, they were down 73-53.

Behind by 21 going into the fourth quarter, the Spurs emptied their bench. Ahead by 21, the Nuggets, curiously, did not.

“I was really proud of our guys,” Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. “I thought they played hard for 48 minutes.”

For the first time in a while, that 48th minute didn't matter.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/Nuggets_throttle_Spurs.html

Blackjack
11-20-2008, 01:45 AM
“I never let Tim do what he wants to do,” said Denver's Kenyon Martin, the man most often assigned to Duncan. “I never have, I never will.”

Sure Kenyon...

We'll just pretend 2003 never happened.;)

spurspf
11-20-2008, 01:49 AM
Sure Kenyon...

+1 I was thinking the same thing. Didn't Duncan B....slap you around in a finals somewhere?

T Park
11-20-2008, 01:49 AM
“I was really proud of our guys,” Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. “I thought they played hard for 48 minutes.”

Agreed.

The guys that were out there weren't losing by lack of effort, shots just werent falling and things progressed from there.

Bonner, Hill, and Finley's efforts were solid.

Especially Bonner, no clue what the hell has gotten into him, whatever it is, keep it up, hes looking pretty decent out there.

Blackjack
11-20-2008, 01:57 AM
+1 I was thinking the same thing. Didn't Duncan B....slap you around in a finals somewhere?

The guy is a good defender when he puts his mind to it, but the only thing that prevents Tim from busting his ass everytime they're on the court together is Tim.

Tim is too big, too skilled, and too smart for Kenyon to ever be able to shut him down one-on-one.

itzsoweezee
11-20-2008, 02:09 AM
lol @ kenyon martin of all people talking shit. he's the definition of a bum.

Joe Schmoogins
11-20-2008, 03:04 AM
ten bucks says that Tim lights up Kenyon Martin next time they meet.

NZ Spurs
11-20-2008, 03:11 AM

One of the single greatest finals performances in history says otherwise. Idiot.

crc21209
11-20-2008, 03:33 AM
Fuck Kenyon Martin are you kidding me? haha. Out of all people to say this. Timmy has owned him his whole career, ESPECIALLY in the 03' Finals.

Manufan909
11-20-2008, 04:43 AM
Anyone have a good link of said ownage?

This would be a great test of 228's archive... where is she?:p:

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-20-2008, 04:50 AM
Badmouthing's one thing, but saying things that are so ridiculous is just grotesque. Guess he's just glad he's had his best game of the season. I can't believe I actually liked Kenyon when he was a rookie.

angelbelow
11-20-2008, 05:26 AM
lol i think kmart is just trying to stay positive.

cherylsteele
11-20-2008, 06:26 AM
Agreed.

The guys that were out there weren't losing by lack of effort, shots just werent falling and things progressed from there.

Bonner, Hill, and Finley's efforts were solid.

Especially Bonner, no clue what the hell has gotten into him, whatever it is, keep it up, hes looking pretty decent out there.
Bonner is playing like he did last year befire he hurt his knee, up until recently he has really been a solid plus for the Spurs.

I was a supporter of his, then fell off the bandwagon, because of his crappy play, now I am leaning towards his bandwagon again, just hope he keeps up the hustle and solid play and does not disappoint too much again.

mystargtr34
11-20-2008, 06:43 AM
Lol Game 6 NBA Finals 2003

Duncan
22 points
21 rebounds
10 assists
8 blocks

Martin 3-23 FG

3 for fucking 23

mrspurs
11-20-2008, 07:42 AM
Martins been waiting years to talk like this about this team. And everyone shouldnt be surprised. Billups has been waiting years and so has Karl. Thats why Karl had his starting lineup in so late in the game.

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-20-2008, 07:45 AM
Martins been waiting years to talk like this about this team. And everyone shouldnt be surprised. Billups has been waiting years and so has Karl. Thats why Karl had his starting lineup in so late in the game.

It's not the first time Karl's done it, is it? He's a good track record of being an ass by running up the score cough*NY*cough

1Parker1
11-20-2008, 08:52 AM

:lmao Someone get this man a tape of the 2003 NBA Finals.

MaNuMaNiAc
11-20-2008, 09:14 AM
Anyone have a good link of said ownage?

This would be a great test of 228's archive... where is she?:p:

only ones I could find

wyD9lLVHcng

HRieYTW3zkM

AA2120
11-20-2008, 09:42 AM
woooo!! hill with 20 points....hellll yeaaa

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-20-2008, 11:27 AM

Fixed.

duncan228
11-20-2008, 11:58 AM
I haven't gotten to the Playoff stats yet, but here's the overall comparison, through last night. (Sorry for the size). This guy never had anything but a mouth on Duncan.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/temp%20duncan/duncan-martin.jpg

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-20-2008, 12:05 PM
Kenyon Martin is a legend in his own mind. But you have to hand it to him. He's a tweener forward who managed a max-NBA contract more on effort than skill.

This reminds me of Zo calling the Admiral soft when David used to own his azz.

FromWayDowntown
11-20-2008, 12:09 PM
Tim Duncan's 2003 NBA Finals Experience

43.8 MPG, .495 FG%, 9.0 FTA/gm, 24.2 ppg, 17.0 rpg, 5.3 apg, 1.0 spg, 5.0 bpg

polandprzem
11-20-2008, 12:09 PM
Funny thing is that many times kenoyn was fouling Tim in the 2003 Finals and he hardly heard a whistle, and still Tim dominated him totally.

duncan228
11-20-2008, 12:32 PM
My favorite Kenyon Martin quote came before game 2 of the '05 first round. As we know, the Nuggets took that first game on our court. Kenyon:

Ain't nobody here think we could get no win but us. Why not two?

We then proceeded to sweep them. :)

TDfan2007
11-20-2008, 01:58 PM
People have off nights, happens to the best of players in an 82 game season. Those career head to head stats tell us all we need to know about how badly Tim owns Martin. Next time we play Denver Tim is going to make K-Mart wish he never said what he said.

SenorSpur
11-20-2008, 02:04 PM
Sure Kenyon...

Exactly what I was thinking. :tu

What a freakin' turd brain!

Manufan909
11-20-2008, 03:26 PM
Bonner is playing like he did last year befire he hurt his knee, up until recently he has really been a solid plus for the Spurs.

I was a supporter of his, then fell off the bandwagon, because of his crappy play, now I am leaning towards his bandwagon again, just hope he keeps up the hustle and solid play and does not disappoint too much again.

Fuck yeah, man. We have the EXACT same view on this. Before his injury last year he was very solid. Hope this isn't just a fad. I'm ready to get on the bandwagon, it's really empty there, with zosa and the nazi all alone.:hat