PDA

View Full Version : Worms on the Brain

desflood
11-20-2008, 10:48 AM
Nasty. Nasty, nasty, nasty.

It's Not a Tumor - Doctors Find Worm In Woman's Brain Instead
Thursday, November 20, 2008

Doctors discover worm in woman's brain instead of the tumor they thought they were removing.

Doctors in Arizona thought a Phoenix-area woman had a possible brain tumor, but it turned out there was something else penetrating her brain – a worm.

Rosemary Alvarez started experiencing numbness in her arm and blurred vision. She went to the emergency room twice and had a cat scan, but everything came up clear, MyFOXPhoenix.com reported.

It wasn’t until doctors took a closer look at an MRI that they discovered something very disturbing.

“Once we saw the MRI we realized this is something not good,” neurosurgeon, Dr. Peter Nakaji told the news station. “It's something down in her brain stem which is as deep in the brain as you can be.”

Alvarez was wheeled into surgery where Nakaji and his colleagues were expecting to remove a tumor, but they uncovered a worm instead.

On a video of the surgery, Nakaji can be heard chuckling after he made the discovery.

“I'm sure this is a very strange response for the people in the operating room,” he told MyFOXPhoenix.com. “But because I was so pleased to know that it wasn't going to be something terrible.”

Although doctors don’t know exactly where Alvarez contracted the worm – they said it could come from eating undercooked pork or it can be spread by people who don’t wash their hands after using the bathroom, according to the report.

“It only takes one person who is spreading it constantly to get a lot of people exposed and some of those people are going to go on to develop this problem,” Nakaji said.

Alvarez said she hopes people learn this lesson from her story.

“Wash your hands, wash your hands.”

BacktoBasics
11-20-2008, 10:53 AM
This doesn't bode well for my medium pork chop dish.

mrsmaalox
11-20-2008, 10:54 AM
And cook your meat, cook your meat, cook your meat. I believe trichinosis is mostly from pigs who are fed raw garbage.

AlamoSpursFan
11-20-2008, 10:57 AM
Did anybody else immediately think of the opening scene in Star Trek II where Khan puts the worms in Chekhov and that other dude's helmets? Or am I the only geek here?

ChumpDumper
11-20-2008, 11:05 AM
For some reason I thought abuot the end of Julie Hagerty's speech in the Steve Guttenberg classic Bad Medicine.

And I totally want to see the video of the operation.

I. Hustle
11-20-2008, 11:06 AM
I guess I shouldn't be licking my fingers after handling raw pork

ORION
11-20-2008, 11:09 AM
I wash my meat twice a day

Obstructed_View
11-20-2008, 12:29 PM
Sounds like the first episode of House. They should have catscanned her leg and they'd have found another worm.

marini martini
11-20-2008, 12:37 PM
Sounds like the first episode of House. They should have catscanned her leg and they'd have found another worm.

Are you talkin about the one where the chick has a STD? And that bubble popped in her arm, and all those bugs came flying out??? Oh, gad, that still haunts me !!!!:wow

desflood
11-20-2008, 01:20 PM
And that bubble popped in her arm, and all those bugs came flying out???
Wait, WHAT? Really? How did I miss that episode?

Obstructed_View
11-21-2008, 12:21 AM
Are you talkin about the one where the chick has a STD? And that bubble popped in her arm, and all those bugs came flying out??? Oh, gad, that still haunts me !!!!:wow

No, the very first episode with Robin Tunney as the schoolteacher who started speaking gibberish and lapsed into a coma. They screwed around for 50 minutes and finally determined that she had a worm in her brain by scanning the muscle tissue in her thigh. I think it's the only episode of the show I've ever seen.

That has to rank as one of the least sexy paragraphs in the world containing "Robin Tunney" and "thigh".

exstatic
11-21-2008, 08:27 AM
It was probably just a Medicinal Maggot gone astray...

Mister Sinister
11-21-2008, 12:29 PM
And the worms ate into her brain.

DieMrBond
11-21-2008, 09:07 PM
And the worms ate into her brain.

Exactly what I was thinking when I read this. I thought it was a Pink Floyd topic before reading! j/k :)

boutons_
11-22-2008, 01:00 PM
Industrial mammal meat production is not a sustainable industry.

TDMVPDPOY
11-22-2008, 01:08 PM
i got a worm here with 1 eye, wanna come and wash your hands on that...ladies only thank you....

phyzik
11-22-2008, 07:23 PM
thats disturbing.

Spurtacus
11-22-2008, 08:11 PM
She should have kept that worm in her head for the upcoming zombie apocalypse. Zombies don't want to eat that worm shit.

phyzik
11-23-2008, 02:39 AM
She should have kept that worm in her head for the upcoming zombie apocalypse. Zombies don't want to eat that worm shit.

Its kind of sad but I actualy have dreams... not nightmares... dreams.... where the undead becomes a reality. I'd like to think I would survive but if I dont ohh well.. that just means I wasnt smart enough. This planet needs a cleansing of all the dumbass retards. Sadly thats about 90% of the world population.

Im not saying Im going to try and facilitate it! :lol Im quite happy living and knowing I'm more enlightened than most. Its like watching ant drones to me. Someone tells you this is what this book says so we should do that because the book is old! :rollin

cant wait for the bible thumpers to respond

Smackie Chan
11-23-2008, 02:48 AM
Just think somewhere in the bizarro world there is a brain in some worm.