PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Manu, 5 On 5

duncan228
11-20-2008, 03:31 PM
Mike Monroe: Manu, 5 on 5 (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/archives/2008/11/mike_monroe_man_1.html)

The Spurs' shroud of secrecy was lifted Thursday, revealing that,.for the first time all season, Manu Ginobili participated in a five-on-five scrimmage at the team's practice facility.

Ginobili, the All-Star shooting guard so vital to Spurs' success, has been on the injured list since undergoing surgery in September to repair a left ankle impingement that had bothered him for months before it forced him out of the Olympic competition in Beijing, China, in August, But his ahead-of-schedule rehabilitation progress took another significant step at Thursday's practice, considering that Coach Gregg Popovich called working him into five-on-five drills at practice the final step required before he would consider allowing him to suit up for a game.

News of Ginobili's additional progress was accidental illumination, and we would like to thank Roger Mason, whose refreshing candor was responsible for our enlightenment.

"You know Manu wants to be out there," Mason said, when asked about Ginobili's potential return. "Today they threw him out a little bit. It was my first time playing with him, and it was fun out there, having a guy like Manu on the court. When he does come back, I think it's going to be fun."

Asked if that meant Ginobili had participated in five-on-five drills, the first-year Spur experienced a momentary sense of panic.

"Man, I don't know if I'm supposed to say that," he said. "Yeah, he did. Hopefully, I don't get in trouble for that. He did a little bit, but we've seen him playing two-on-two, and you guys know that. He's progressing nicely, and when he comes back it will be great."

We promise to nominate Mason for the NBA All-Interview team, and lobby hard for his inclusion.

duncan228
11-20-2008, 03:33 PM
For once the E-N was timely in releasing info. spursdotcom posted the practice report video a little while ago, the Mason Jr. 'scoop' was in it.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110178

Trainwreck2100
11-20-2008, 03:52 PM
pops gonna be pissed Jr dropped that line

galvatron3000
11-20-2008, 03:55 PM
Mason'll be traded for that brief moment of stupidity...lol

T Park
11-20-2008, 03:58 PM
pop is currently hooking battery charger cables up to mase.....;

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-20-2008, 04:06 PM
RMJ is just leaking what Pop wanted him too. Wait til you see the looks on the faces of the Jazz when Manu gets announced in the starting line up. If Pop when shooters go so does CIA.

FromWayDowntown
11-20-2008, 04:13 PM
Hmmm, I just figured that since there appears to be a bit more room at Gitmo these days, Mason's going to come down with a classic case of patellar tendonitis while Pop calls in a few chips to have Mason "sent down" for some "extra work" through "intensive sensory deprivation" techniques aimed at "ensuring minimal disclosure of top secret information."

Allanon
11-20-2008, 04:13 PM
Wait til you see the looks on the faces of the Jazz when Manu gets announced in the starting line up. If Pop when shooters go so does CIA.

That would be crazy if both coaches try to pull a fast one.

I also heard a rumor that Sloan is gonna bring back DWill for the Spurs game too.

galvatron3000
11-20-2008, 04:21 PM
he won't be in the starting lineup, he will come off the bench for atleast a game or 2

Spurs Brazil
11-20-2008, 05:32 PM
I think we'll see Manu play next week

crc21209
11-20-2008, 06:18 PM
Bank on it, Manu comes back sometime next week or maybe Dec. 2nd or 4th. And Tony comes back in 2 weeks from now.

Slippy
11-20-2008, 07:42 PM
That's fantastic news. Manu has progressed really well. I think 2 weeks to allow for conditioning and training with the team would be the way to go. He should be eased slowly back into the grind.

Manufan909
11-20-2008, 07:51 PM
A 65 game season sounds nice for Manu.

PURO SAN ANTO 210!
11-20-2008, 07:59 PM
Hope He's Ready When He Comes Back! But If He's Ready Come On Wit It Manu El Mero Mero!!!!!!!!!

Blackjack
11-20-2008, 07:59 PM
Two words I expect Mason to become familiar with...

Water
&
Board;)

mrspurs
11-20-2008, 08:00 PM
Manu is right on (my time) schedule. Will be nice having him back on the floor in San Antonio Texas. Home of the San Antonio Spurs and the Alamo. Its been way over due.

Solid D
11-20-2008, 08:50 PM
:elephant

duncan228
11-21-2008, 12:15 AM
Updated, and a bit on Udoka.

Ginobili participates in five-on-five drills (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_Ginobili_participates_in_five-on-five_drills.html)
By Mike Monroe

Spurs guard Manu Ginobili on Thursday took the first step in the final phase of his rehabilitation process, and could be back in a Spurs uniform sooner than the club anticipated when training camp began in October.

The NBA's reigning Sixth Man Award winner took part in five-on-five drills at the team's practice facility. His participation wasn't revealed officially by the club. Rather, it slipped out because one of his new teammates was so excited to have finally had a chance to be on the court with him that he couldn't help himself.

“You know Manu wants to be out there,” said Roger Mason Jr., the swingman signed this summer to take a bit of the playing load off Ginobili's shoulders. “Today they threw him out a little bit.

“It was my first time playing with him, and it was fun out there, having a guy like Manu on the court. When he does come back, I think it's going to be fun.”

Asked, specifically, if he meant Ginobili had been in the team's five-on-five work, Mason looked a bit stricken, but made no attempt to backtrack.

“Man, I don't know if I'm supposed to say that,” he said. “Yeah, he did. Hopefully, I don't get in trouble for that. He did a little bit, but we've seen him playing two-on-two, and you guys know that. He's progressing nicely, and when he comes back it will be great.”

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich had declared Ginobili ahead of schedule in his rehabilitation from September surgery that has had him on the injured list, and said his participation in five-on-five drills would be the final test before the All-Star guard suits up again.

Shot doctoring: Since starting his first game of the season on Nov. 11, Ime Udoka has been in a severe shooting slump, especially from long range.

Over the past six games, he has attempted 11 3-pointers and missed all but two. His overall shooting percentage in the six games: .217.

“It's something that's happened in the past,” said Udoka. “You've just got to play through and weather the storm; get some extra work in, play some three-on-three and do some stuff to get some rhythm back.

“It's been a little bit of a change with the different guys out there, so we're not always on the same page, as we have been in the past, so that's affecting me a little bit. But you've just got to play through it and be a professional.”

Obstructed_View
11-21-2008, 12:33 AM
Roger Mason is the Robert Novak of CIA Pop.

Ice009
11-21-2008, 12:51 AM
Do you guys think Ime is a good shooter? He seemed a little pissed off about being in a shooting slump on that Spurs.com interview.

xtremesteven33
11-21-2008, 12:52 AM
Do you guys think Ime is a good shooter? He seemed a little pissed off about being in a shooting slump on that Spurs.com interview.

Udoka is not a good shooter. He has decent long range shots but thats about it.

hes supposed to be a superior defensive player but to me lacks quickness and cordination.

Manufan909
11-21-2008, 12:56 AM
Spurs coach Gregg Popovich had declared Ginobili ahead of schedule in his rehabilitation from September surgery that has had him on the injured list, and said his participation in five-on-five drills would be the final test before the All-Star guard suits up again.

I love that part of the article most by far. I wonder what CIA Pop's plan on bringing Manu back. Hope it's before the Dallas game. And I don't want Mason to lose PT, just have Fin, Ime, and Bruce fight over for the left over minutes at SG and SF. Don't know why I put SG in there, cuz Manu's 25-30 mins and Mason's 30+ mins, SF will be the last chance for those 3. I guess Mason could split with PG, til Tony gets back.

peskypesky
11-21-2008, 01:05 AM
Damn, I sure hope this repaired Manu can play like he used to. We are seriously going to need it.

xtremesteven33
11-21-2008, 01:10 AM
11/29 @ Houston- Earliest Game i can see him returning
12/02 vs Detroit- Ideal game for him to return
12/04 @ Denver (on national TV)- If hes not back by then, id be pissed