PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Surviving Injuries . . . and Growing

Allanon
11-20-2008, 04:56 PM
Spurs Surviving Injuries . . . and Growing (http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=10660)
by Eric Pincus

After last year's run to the Western Conference Finals, the San Antonio Spurs faced a challenging start to the 2008/9 Regular Season with star guard/forward Manu Ginobili sidelined until December with ligament damage in his left heel. After losing three of their first four games, All-Star point guard Tony Parker would sprain his ankle in a loss to the Miami HEAT. Now Parker too is out a month and San Antonio looked like they were in serious trouble.

Surprisingly the Spurs would rebound, winning four of their next five to reach .500. With two of their three primary scoring options sidelined, the Spurs have no choice but to rely on their vaunted defense.

"For us to win games right now, we have to keep people in the 80's," said Coach Gregg Popovich after a close victory over the Clippers in Los Angeles.

Turning to their key summer acquisition, Popovich gave guard Roger Mason Jr. the green light with 23 seconds left and the score tied at 83. Mason would come off of a well-placed Tim Duncan screen and can a wide open three-point shot with eight seconds left.

It would be Mason's first NBA game-winner. Like veteran teammate Bruce Bowen, Mason's path to the NBA didn't take a straight line. His last game winning shot was back in 2005 when he played overseas for Hapoel Jerusalem.

Now Mason is the team's starting two-guard, averaging 14.5 points a game while shooting 45.1% from the field and an impressive 47.1% from three.

"Roger's been fantastic for us," said Popovich prior to the game - before Mason gave the Clippers their ninth loss in 10 tries. "We looked at two guys in free agency, Corey Maggette and Roger, knowing full well that Corey wasn't going to come. Roger was a guy that we've had on our radar screen for awhile."

Last year Mason was in a similar position with the Washington Wizards
with All-Star guard Gilbert Arenas in and out of the lineup with knee troubles. Mason made the most of the first opportunity in his career for significant minutes, shooting 39.8% from three - helping the Wizards limp into the playoffs.

"He got a great opportunity in Washington with Gilbert going down and gained a lot of confidence," continued Popovich. "He's played one, two and three for us already this year. When the boys get back, he'll give us some depth off the bench - some athleticism and scoring that we haven't had the last few years. He's an important piece of what we're trying to do this year."

Mason is grateful for the faith the Spurs have placed in him so quickly.

"It's great just to have the team depend on you," said Mason. "We have two all-stars out obviously and I don't think there's one guy who is going to make up for Manu Ginobili or one guy who will make up for Tony Parker; but we have great coaching, great characters in the locker room and guys that are stepping up."

It's been a challenge for All-Star forward Tim Duncan to carry the team short-handed but he recognizes there's little choice but to be patient.

"It's obstacles we have to fight through. I don't think there's a team in this league that's going to feel sorry for us," said Duncan after the victory in Los Angeles. "It is on my shoulders a little more. I can go ahead and try to shoulder the load until Tony and Manu get back."

Duncan has been impressed the play of his new teammate.

"Roger's been great for us. He's had great results," said Duncan. "We're starting to trust each other. I understand what he can do and he surprised me with some of the stuff he has done. Everything he does from now on is a bonus . . . it's good to see."

Duncan has been the team's franchise player since they started winning championships back in 1999 (four in all). His minutes are up slightly from last year (38.1 from 34.0) and his field goal percentage has climbed dramatically (56.2% from 49.7%). With the greater efficiency, his scoring average has climbed to 23.9 points a night - the second highest of his career (he put up 25.5 a game in 2001/2).

"He's done with this group exactly what he's done with every group we've had," praised Popovich. "He's like a chameleon. It's just incredible the empathy and leadership he shows to make those guys feel comfortable. I'll put him out there sometimes and we have George Hill who was a two guard in college (at a small college even) and there he is with Tim and he has no clue where Tim wants the ball or what's going on - and Roger Mason on the other side of the court and maybe [forward] Anthony Tolliver and Bruce [Bowen] - some group like that."

"Timmy does his best to make it work he leads them correctly he makes them feel confident, although I know that intellectually it's got to be frustrating for him because what he cares about is championships. You can look at that group on the floor and say from here to there? Does that fit? It doesn't bother him. He just understands it's day to day and we're trying to be as good as we can be come playoff time - biding his time until everybody gets back."

To try and add some offensive punch to the Spurs' lineup, Popovich has benched defensive stalwart Bruce Bowen. In addition to Duncan and Mason, the Spurs are currently starting guard/forward Michael Finley, center Fabricio Oberto and rookie point guard George Hill.

"It was going to be to some degree a transition year. We needed to bring in some young guys," said Popovich. "People have telling us we're too old for about four years. We've done pretty well with it but there comes a time when younger kids were probably going to get more minutes."

With Ginobili and Parker out, relying on the youth movement has been more extreme than Popovich ever expected.

Against the Clippers, Hill missed all five of his shots but dished eight assists with just two turnovers. He also helped hold guard Baron Davis to just 11 points on 5-17 shooting.

"I think he's an intelligent young guy with an extraordinary mental toughness for a young kid," said Popovich of Hill before the game. "One of the best young defenders I've seen coming into the league at his position. At the offensive end he needs a lot of work."

Hill has started five games, of which the Spurs have won four. He loves playing for Popovich, saying that he gets along with the defensive-minded coach perfectly.

"I always take pride in my defense," said Hill. "Like I was just telling one of my teammates, I think my offense is a bonus. When it comes - it comes. When it doesn't, I just need to keep working on it - but my defense can always be there. That's what it takes to be successful in this league. Your offense can always be better but defense is a mentality you just always just have to have."

While his shooting percentage isn't impressive (37.5%), he's helping the Spurs win games and isn't overwhelmed by the spectacle of the NBA.

"It's a great experience to come out there and compete with people you grew up watching like Baron Davis, a great guard, and matching up with him," said Hill. "I never pictured [starting] because they have a great point guard in Tony Parker and you still have a great, veteran point guard in Jacques Vaughn. It's coach's decision and he throws me out there and the only thing I can do is do the best I can do."

It's difficult to target exactly when Ginobili and Parker will return. Assuming they're back around the 14th of December in San Antonio against the Oklahoma City Thunder, the Spurs would still have a dozen games to push through. That includes games against the Denver Nuggets (twice), Utah Jazz, Houston Rockets, Detroit Pistons and Dallas Mavericks (among others). Seven are at home - five are away.

"I guess it might be fair to say in some respects it's a survival mode because you don't want to be so deep in the hole that you can't get out," said Popovich. "Given the choice, you'd rather have a higher seed but it's more important to learn to jell, to get the camaraderie straight, to make sure everybody knows the standards and the demands, and that we're all going in the same direction - bringing the young kids with us. That's the most important thing."

Duncan understands what he needs to do to help his teammates through this stretch.

"Just be patient with them. Understand what's expected from guys," said Duncan. "There's going to be a learning curve with everybody and we're going to have to just play through it."

What of the notion that the injuries are giving the younger players they likely would never have gotten - and thus a chance to mature and help the team come playoff time?

"It's overused and certainly an exaggeration but it sounds great. It's imminently logical but in reality it doesn't always fit," said Popovich. "It will work with some young guys. Some guys it won't - and when push comes to shove when you get into the playoffs, X number of guys play. If there's an injury or something like that then maybe somebody may be able to step up and be comfortable because they know your system - but all in all its overrated."

One player who Popovich expects to play a major role come playoff time is Roger Mason - and from this season's early returns, he looks like he could be a significant factor when San Antonio finally gets healthy.

Mason is equally impressed by the Spurs organization.

"Everybody is professional down the line. That's why I think they've won so many championships. It's not just about talent in this league. It's hard work. It's about getting along and having the ultimate goal. With this team you see that right away with the type of people that they have here," said Mason. "[Popovich] sets the tempo and the stage as to how this team is run . . . and I think we all fall in line from Tim Duncan to the lowest person on the team."

The Spurs still have a tremendous battle ahead of them. Their injuries may cost them home court advantage in the postseason but the team is confident they'll be there to compete.

Whether a rookie like George Hill will have a chance to apply what he's learning now in the playoffs is anybody's guess but the Spurs are actively retooling a team that historically wins championships every other year . . . and they're due.

With a skeleton crew they're surviving - just wait until they get their stars back.

Manufan909
11-20-2008, 07:08 PM
Hey, guys who's opinions I respect(kori, timvp, chump, O_V, hell even t park), what would you grade Mason if when the team is 100%, he plays SF? I know he's a more than able SG, but idk about SF.

Galileo
11-20-2008, 07:23 PM
Just think of this lineup:

C - Mihinmi
F - Duncan
F - Bowen
G - Ginobili
G - Parker

Reserves

Finley
Oberto
Udoka
Hill
Mason

That's a killer

angelbelow
11-20-2008, 07:30 PM
cant wait until everyone is healthy, still impressed by how modest hill is off court, and so agressive on court.

Bartleby
11-20-2008, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the post, Allanon. You're alright (for a Laker fan).

DieMrBond
11-20-2008, 07:38 PM
"Roger's been fantastic for us," said Popovich prior to the game - before Mason gave the Clippers their ninth loss in 10 tries. "We looked at two guys in free agency, Corey Maggette and Roger, knowing full well that Corey wasn't going to come. Roger was a guy that we've had on our radar screen for awhile."

Interesting comment from Pop. I mean, we all knew it too, but interesting that he would actually voice that.

Drachen
11-20-2008, 07:54 PM
Spurs Surviving Injuries . . . and Growing (http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=10660)
by Eric Pincus

Surprisingly the Spurs would rebound, winning four of their next five to reach .500. With two of their three primary scoring options sidelined, the Spurs have no choice but to rely on their vaunted defense.

I don't know if you were the one who wrote this or not, and I am not trying to be some nazi or something, but if you were the one who wrote this I wanted to say I do like the content and just wanted to critique your style a little. You write in a passive voice A LOT in this article such as the bolded sentence above. "Surprisingly the Spurs rebounded" sounds like a much more attention grabbing sentence. "would rebound" sounds like the author has no stake in what he or she is writing which makes the reader have no reason to have a stake in the article. Also, and this may just be me as I don't have any specific rule to point to but the above paragraph goes from past tense to future with no transition. "The Spurs would rebound", "the spurs have no choice" it just reads real funny to me, but once again it could just be me. Like I said, I dont even know if it is your article, but if it is, I hope I have helped.

duncan228
11-20-2008, 08:03 PM
I don't know if you were the one who wrote this or not...

It's a Hoopsworld article. If Allanon writes for Hoopsworld he hasn't told us.

ginobilized
11-20-2008, 08:10 PM
Rebounding is the problem alright

Blackjack
11-20-2008, 08:17 PM
It's a Hoopsworld article. If Allanon writes for Hoopsworld he hasn't told us.

So Hoopsworld is offering more content and insight on the Spurs than the Express-News now??? Then again...

I guess that isn't such a chore to do. :bang