PDA

View Full Version : Chris Kaman to the Spurs?

johnnyblues
11-21-2008, 12:54 AM
http://dailytimes.com/story.lasso?ewcd=2010472acb5494ce

One option might come from one of the Spurs’ recent opponents — the Los Angeles Clippers, who look eager to shake things up after an overhauled roster has squandered plenty of opportunities during their 2-9 start.

With the emergence of Marcus Camby, who was acquired from the Nuggets in the offseason for next to nothing, the Clippers are reportedly willing to trade 26-year-old center Chris Kaman, a beast in the paint who still has four years at almost $11 million per year left on his contract.

But at 26 years old, Kaman is still in the prime of his career and would give San Antonio the type of inside game it had when Duncan joined “The Admiral” David Robinson in 1997, a combination that ultimately turned the Spurs from an average team to a perennial contender.

Playing a limited roll at times this season, Kaman is averaging 13.2 points per game but more important is his average of 10.5 rebounds.

johnnyblues
11-21-2008, 12:55 AM
Ok. Just saw the other thread about this article. Ignore.:rolleyes

freemeat
11-21-2008, 12:57 AM
http://dailytimes.com/story.lasso?ewcd=2010472acb5494ce

The Daily Times?

As in the KERVILLE Daily Times?

Nice.

HarlemHeat37
11-21-2008, 01:02 AM
Chris Kaman is overrated, he's not worth the money he's getting paid..he has regressed significantly and usually disappears when he's playing against bigger and more physical opponents..

wisnub
11-21-2008, 01:11 AM
It will definitely help Spurs if its true. Kaman is definitely better and younger than Oberto and KT combined. Fab and KT is getting older..I think we got to start thinking about it (I know we got Ian as our future). Kaman's number is good, he can score and rebound and will help Duncan in the post and double team. But I DOUBT it will ever happen. We got nobody "valuable enough" for the trade since Big 3 and Mahinmi should be untouchable. Spurs FO is a fucking cheap bastard, money is always a huge part of problem altough NOBODY WILL EVER ADMIT IT. When I look how Hornets,Celtics ,Rockets build their team,i got nothing more to say. More likely they will pull out somebody from D League if they need additional big man. They already did for PG

Manufan909
11-21-2008, 01:23 AM
Yeah, he's worth more, considering the bigs that we have. I'd put him up there with Bosh. He isn't on Chris' level, but he is the more realistic option, and would be an instant upgrade. As of now, he's a dream like everyone else worth getting. Not sure who'd they take, unless they're only looking to fatten their wallets. Then take any combo of Toll, Bonner, Fab, and KT. If I'm correct and it would only be a 1 and 1 switch, I'd prefer KT to go, since Kaman most resembles him gamewise.

Manufan909
11-21-2008, 01:29 AM
It will definitely help Spurs if its true. Kaman is definitely better and younger than Oberto and KT combined. Fab and KT is getting older..I think we got to start thinking about it (I know we got Ian as our future). Kaman's number is good, he can score and rebound and will help Duncan in the post and double team. But I DOUBT it will ever happen. We got nobody "valuable enough" for the trade since Big 3 and Mahinmi should be untouchable. Spurs FO is a fucking cheap bastard, money is always a huge part of problem altough NOBODY WILL EVER ADMIT IT. When I look how Hornets,Celtics ,Rockets build their team,i got nothing more to say. More likely they will pull out somebody from D League if they need additional big man. They already did for PG

Ok, I agreed with everything but the last couple of sentences. Ahearn is just a stopgap because of TP out, you can't compare that to KT and Fab underperforming so far, and Ian getting injured.

Buddy Holly
11-21-2008, 01:54 AM
When I look how Hornets,Celtics ,Rockets build their team,i got nothing more to say.

You shouldn't have more to say because it'd be as stupid and ill-formed as that garbage that I quoted.

The Rockets? How the Rockets build their team? Kid, the Rockets with McGrady and Yao haven't been past the first round.

The Hornets have spent a staggering 1 million dollars more in total team salaries.

The Celtics, well, they took a big gamble that had big reward/big failure potential and it paid off. The Spurs were not in that position so why even act like trading almost all your young players for two all-stars is something the Spurs "needed" to do.

Manufan909
11-21-2008, 02:09 AM
You shouldn't have more to say because it'd be as stupid and ill-formed as that garbage that I quoted.

The Rockets? How the Rockets build their team? Kid, the Rockets with McGrady and Yao haven't been past the first round.

The Hornets have spent a staggering 1 million dollars more in total team salaries.

The Celtics, well, they took a big gamble that had big reward/big failure potential and it paid off. The Spurs were not in that position so why even act like trading almost all your young players for two all-stars is something the Spurs "needed" to do.

+1

I knew there was something wrong with that post.

50 cent
11-21-2008, 02:18 AM
This thread is all kinds of stupid.

Rummpd
11-21-2008, 08:13 AM
yes thank you he would be a prototype Spur - not athletic but savy and hard nosed. Bring him on.

mrspurs
11-21-2008, 08:28 AM
If Camby is coming in and taking over Kaymans role. That doesnt say alot about Kayman. From what I hear he costs to much. Then again if the FO can figure out someway of getting him without losing any of our Big 3. Then by all means go for it. Im guessing Ian isnt coming back soon. And Kayman is still young. I dont see Ian and Kayman as twin towers.(for the future), Id just like to see one of them (like the one we have already in austin), play next to Timmy.

Taco
11-21-2008, 09:17 AM
http://se2.selektive-erinnerung.de/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/captain-caveman1.jpg

Captain Kaman!!!!!

MarCowMar
11-21-2008, 10:29 AM
It bothers me the way the contents of these articles get transformed.

1) We start with a speculative statement about how Kaman would be a beneficial player on the Spurs. We could make this same statement about 1/4 of the players in the league.

"But at 26 years old, Kaman is still in the prime of his career and would give San Antonio the type of inside game it had when Duncan joined “The Admiral” David Robinson in 1997, a combination that ultimately turned the Spurs from an average team to a perennial contender."

2) Someone posts the article on SpursTalk under the title: "Chris Kaman to the Spurs?" This makes it seem as though some reporter has researched and found a source that says there are trade talks, but that is not the case.

3) SpursTalk posters run with it and begin discussing it as all-out trade talk: "It will definitely help Spurs if its true."

No wonder half of Texas thinks Obama is a Muslim. Reading comprehension people.

mrspurs
11-21-2008, 11:50 AM
funny stuff.......Comparing Kayman to Drob. Not even close. Not even when Drob was headed out the door.

urunobili
11-21-2008, 11:53 AM
Pop loves this guy... he would trade anything outside the big 3 to get him

xtremesteven33
11-21-2008, 11:59 AM
I think if the rumors are true and Randolph does end up going to the Clippers then thats going to leave Kaman on the trading block....

I expect the spurs to make a run for him if he is.

Stump
11-21-2008, 12:18 PM
It bothers me the way the contents of these articles get transformed.

1) We start with a speculative statement about how Kaman would be a beneficial player on the Spurs. We could make this same statement about 1/4 of the players in the league.

"But at 26 years old, Kaman is still in the prime of his career and would give San Antonio the type of inside game it had when Duncan joined “The Admiral” David Robinson in 1997, a combination that ultimately turned the Spurs from an average team to a perennial contender."

2) Someone posts the article on SpursTalk under the title: "Chris Kaman to the Spurs?" This makes it seem as though some reporter has researched and found a source that says there are trade talks, but that is not the case.

3) SpursTalk posters run with it and begin discussing it as all-out trade talk: "It will definitely help Spurs if its true."

No wonder half of Texas thinks Obama is a Muslim. Reading comprehension people.

The article may not be reporting an imminent trade, but the point of it is to display a good potentially available target. Posters are aware of this, and merely speculating.

SequSpur
11-21-2008, 12:19 PM
Kaman kicked the spurs ass in the paint the other night. shit.. i say do it, even if you have to trade ginoallicareaboutmycountry

Stump
11-21-2008, 12:22 PM
Kaman kicked the spurs ass in the paint the other night. shit.. i say do it, even if you have to trade ginoallicareaboutmycountry

:rolleyes

benefactor
11-21-2008, 01:06 PM
I think if the rumors are true and Randolph does end up going to the Clippers then thats going to leave Kaman on the trading block....

I expect the spurs to make a run for him if he is.
You'd better change your expectations. We are not even close to having the salaries needed in the players we would consider trading to match his.

xtremesteven33
11-21-2008, 01:10 PM
You'd better change your expectations. We are not even close to having the salaries needed in the players we would consider trading to match his.

It would intefere a little with the "2010 plan" but its possible

benefactor
11-21-2008, 01:28 PM
It would intefere a little with the "2010 plan" but its possible
Umm...no its not. Go look at Chris Kaman's salary (http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/clippers.jsp) and compare it to the salaries we have (http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/spurs.jsp) and tell me how you expect it to happen without trading one of the big three.

DROB4EVER
11-21-2008, 02:41 PM
Kayman would be a great pick up! I think he would put us over the top. He can play high or low, has great footwork, can block shots and rebound, is a good passer and is very unselfish. At 11mil pr season he is a great pick up.

The Clippers are another team who is lookin to 2010 and if we could send Thomas and Bonner with some other crap that would help the Clips slash payroll and give us a great post player.

If the spurs could pull this off they would be crazy not to. I dont know how many guys have seen Kaman play but he can do it all. A lineup of TP TD MASON FINLEY AND KAMAN with MANU, HILL AND IAN off the bench is a very good team.

Those of you who are down on this guy need to watch him play, hes not D rob but no one ever will be. But he is the second or third best center in the NBA and he fits our style on both ends of the floor. And hes only 26!

DROB4EVER
11-21-2008, 02:43 PM
Umm...no its not. Go look at Chris Kaman's salary (http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/clippers.jsp) and compare it to the salaries we have (http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/spurs.jsp) and tell me how you expect it to happen without trading one of the big three.

Thomas Bonner and Vaughn!

hater
11-21-2008, 02:47 PM
I always liked Kaman. He is underated and underpaid for what he does.

Kaman next to Duncan would be tight

joeyjfive
11-21-2008, 03:03 PM
We have to think a little more realistic here. The Clippers would be insane to trade Kaman for anything we could offer them unless they are trying to unload him for expiring contracts.

I was thinking the Spurs could trade for Spencer Hawes, hes a 7 footer, can hit the 3, he wasnt known for his shot blocking his rookie year but now hes averaging 1.92 a game. Not to mention hes not seeing much playing time anymore because Brad Miller is back. I'm not saying he is the saviour of the spurs but he is definitely an approvement over any of our bigs. Hes also only 20 years old.

Maybe we can offer a combination of Thomas and Vaughn or Oberto and Vaughn for Hawes and some bench warmer so the money matches up.

vander
11-21-2008, 03:54 PM
We have to think a little more realistic here. The Clippers would be insane to trade Kaman for anything we could offer them unless they are trying to unload him for expiring contracts.

I was thinking the Spurs could trade for Spencer Hawes, hes a 7 footer, can hit the 3, he wasnt known for his shot blocking his rookie year but now hes averaging 1.92 a game. Not to mention hes not seeing much playing time anymore because Brad Miller is back. I'm not saying he is the saviour of the spurs but he is definitely an approvement over any of our bigs. Hes also only 20 years old.

Maybe we can offer a combination of Thomas and Vaughn or Oberto and Vaughn for Hawes and some bench warmer so the money matches up.

If we wanted Kaman we could get him, there's always picks, cash, Mahinmi, Gist, Splitter, that PG from Houston... we could get him
remember who runs the clips, He's all about the bottom line
a trade of Bowen/Fabs/Cash would entice, he'd save over 25 Million in salaries plus the cash. Bowen and Fabs both bring something to that team that it lacks, they would be a good fit.

CubanMustGo
11-21-2008, 05:06 PM
Kaman always plays well against SA ... but would he turn into Rasho lite once he got here?

AFBlue
11-21-2008, 05:10 PM
Kaman makes over $10M/yr....not gonna happen.

Jahivah
11-21-2008, 05:16 PM
Now that they've got Randolph to pair with Camby maybe they will be looking to unload Kaman.

ChumpDumper
11-21-2008, 07:01 PM
The Clippers need a perimeter scorer worse than the Spurs do now.

Sissiborgo
11-21-2008, 07:07 PM
Him and Duncan would be great playing with each other but it will never happen...

DPG21920
11-21-2008, 07:09 PM

Arguably their two best (mobley and thomas) are out the door. They have to be trying to trade for a perimeter shooter. I guess the smart thing to do is just look around the league for teams that need a true big and that have shooters they can part with.

Obstructed_View
11-21-2008, 07:10 PM
Time to make an Ime Udoka perimeter highlight tape.

T Park
11-21-2008, 07:12 PM
Kaman will come to the Spurs the same day Antonio McDeyss will.

fischh
11-21-2008, 07:13 PM
If they trade Mason it might work, otherwise I really can't see a chance :rolleyes

Biernutz
11-21-2008, 07:37 PM
Chris Kaman

--2008-09--------2009--10----------2010-11----------2011-12
$9,500,000---$10,400,000---------$11,300,000----$12,200,000

The spurs would never pay him that much on this contract........

m33p0
11-21-2008, 10:15 PM
RED ROCKET!!!

DROB4EVER
11-21-2008, 10:27 PM

Hawes is the future in Sac no way they trad him. The Clips are looking to dump Kaman, and save some money. He can be had now that they jsut got Randolph they really dont want him.

romad_20
11-21-2008, 10:28 PM
Why would we tie this much money up in Kaman?

DROB4EVER
11-21-2008, 10:29 PM
Chris Kaman

--2008-09--------2009--10----------2010-11----------2011-12
$9,500,000---$10,400,000---------$11,300,000----$12,200,000

The spurs would never pay him that much on this contract........

That is a very fair salary for a guy who can avg 18ppg 10rpg and 2 blocks...big men dont come cheap! We paid KT 8mil last year and 10 over the next two for what? 2ppg 2rpg. Most bigs are gonna cost top Dollar!

If the spurs could get him they would be fools not to pay him!

romad_20
11-21-2008, 10:35 PM
I'd say more like 14 or 15ppg and 10rb, but who's counting.

I don't know, I'd like to see what Ian brings and get more length and youth at the 3. But that's just me.

m33p0
11-21-2008, 11:31 PM
Why would we tie this much money up in Kaman?
because he is one who can definitely help.

MarHill
11-21-2008, 11:34 PM
That is a very fair salary for a guy who can avg 18ppg 10rpg and 2 blocks...big men dont come cheap! We paid KT 8mil last year and 10 over the next two for what? 2ppg 2rpg. Most bigs are gonna cost top Dollar!

If the spurs could get him they would be fools not to pay him!

Sorry...the Spurs FO won't do it.

Remember they got rid of two big contracts in Rasho and Malik Rose. They will not take another one like Kaman's.......

MarHill
11-21-2008, 11:36 PM
Kaman would be nice if his salary wasn't so high.

But...it's for Ian to come onto the big boy club. He's been in the Spurs system for three years. Let's see what he can do!

AFBlue
11-21-2008, 11:36 PM
How is this thread still going....

Productive players making $10M are not traded for semi-productive system players (which is what Bonner and Udoka are).

peskypesky
11-21-2008, 11:39 PM
Sorry...the Spurs FO won't do it.

Remember they got rid of two big contracts in Rasho and Malik Rose. They will not take another one like Kaman's.......

You're not really comparing Kaman to Rasho and Malik are you? There is absolutely no comparison. Sometimes big contracts are justified by production on the court.

The Clippers might shop Kaman, cause now they have 3 bigs who are all starter caliber (Kaman, Camby, Randolph). The Spurs should do everything they can to get Kaman. A line-up of Parker, Mason, Bowen, Duncan and Kaman (with Manu as 6th man) would be freaking awesome.

peskypesky
11-21-2008, 11:41 PM
That contrat of his isn't what we want. Not good for the 2010 plan.

What exactly is the 2010 plan?

MarHill
11-21-2008, 11:45 PM
You're not really comparing Kaman to Rasho and Malik are you? There is absolutely no comparison. Sometimes big contracts are justified by production on the court.

The Clippers might shop Kaman, cause now they have 3 bigs who are all starter caliber (Kaman, Camby, Randolph). The Spurs should do everything they can to get Kaman. A line-up of Parker, Mason, Bowen, Duncan and Kaman (with Manu as 6th man) would be freaking awesome.

No I'm not comparing them.

But, the Spurs FO decided (in their business model) to pay big money only to the real big 3 and everybody else would get short contracts.

Look at it.....after 2010 (the big FA off-season) only Tim and Tony will be under contract. Manu will be a free agent at that time and as long as he is healthy the Spurs will re-sign him.

My point...they are not going to tie up big money in someone else (who is decent) or take on a long contract from another team past two years!!

:flag:

MarHill
11-21-2008, 11:51 PM
Basically we try and get a ton of contract (like matt Bonner's and Roger mason's) that will be done by 2010 so we can sign free agents. The options are LeBron James, Chis Bosh, D-Wade, Amare, and possibly Kobe. As far as I know we will want a big like Amare or Bosh, but if Manu is not as productive as we hope there is a chance we grab Wade, and there is a very small chance we get leBron. The market isn't big but championships would be won with Tony at point Manu at 2 LeBron at 3 and Tim Duncan at PF/C and maybe Ian at the other big.

Let not forget that by then we will have James Gist coming off the bench scoring 40 a game and averaging about 20 rebounds per game.

Also, I believe if Roger Mason plays well in the next 2 seasons..the Spurs will re-sign him.

peskypesky
11-22-2008, 12:06 AM
Basically we try and get a ton of contract (like matt Bonner's and Roger mason's) that will be done by 2010 so we can sign free agents. The options are LeBron James, Chis Bosh, D-Wade, Amare, and possibly Kobe. As far as I know we will want a big like Amare or Bosh, but if Manu is not as productive as we hope there is a chance we grab Wade, and there is a very small chance we get leBron. The market isn't big but championships would be won with Tony at point Manu at 2 LeBron at 3 and Tim Duncan at PF/C and maybe Ian at the other big.

Let not forget that by then we will have James Gist coming off the bench scoring 40 a game and averaging about 20 rebounds per game.

I'm sorry, but the 2010 plan is completely retarded. Spurs are NEVER able to sign major free agents. NEVER. Nobody who is free ever wants to play in SA. The Spurs have been the winningest team in all of sports for the past DECADE, have won 4 championships, have been anchored by the greatest PF of all-time, and have NOT ONCE been able to sign a major free agent. All our stars were drafted.

I know it sucks, but year after year, the major free agents pass on coming to the Spurs. Elton Brand passed. Jermain O'Neal passed. Numerous others have passed. And it hasn't been only a money issue. Major players just do not want to play in a small-market city like SA.

The 2010 plan is crap.

peskypesky
11-22-2008, 12:21 AM
Well it really has been a money issue. We were on top of people's lists but time and time again they just got a better offer. Maggette almost signed with us for the full MLE but instead got a much bigger contract from the Warriors. And are we all not happy that the Kidd deal fell through? The would mean Manu would have left, Tony would have left, Jack was already gone ect. But now I think we will have enoguh money cleared to offer a max contract to any free agent. Although our max isn't that much compared to a European contract.

OK, you mentioned two free agents. Surely there haven't been only two good free agents in the past 10 years?

Buddy Holly
11-22-2008, 12:27 AM
I know it sucks, but year after year, the major free agents pass on coming to the Spurs. Elton Brand passed. Jermain O'Neal passed. Numerous others have passed. And it hasn't been only a money issue. Major players just do not want to play in a small-market city like SA.

It's not money? They don't want to play in small market cities?

Yet you name O'Neal who resigned with the INDIANA PACERS.

9/10 it IS about MONEY and that's the bottomline.

m33p0
11-22-2008, 12:29 AM
spurs FO will hold off any plans to bring in a new guy until they have finally evaluated the full team.

Buddy Holly
11-22-2008, 12:29 AM
In the past 10 years when did we ever have an option to sign a player to the max?

Exactly. We've only once in the past 10 years had enough money to try and sign a MAX player and sadly that one player was Kidd in 2010 and thankfully he listened to his psychotic wife who wanted to stay in the New York area.

Quit acting like every summer or every other summer we through tons and tons of cash at top players only to be turned down. That is not the reality of things.

vander
11-22-2008, 12:01 PM
the more I think about it, the more I want Kaman. Fabs is terrible and Thomas doesn't look to great either, how soon can we trade Thomas?

Spurtacus
11-22-2008, 03:29 PM
Kaman would be an upgrade over Thomas and Oberto. Duncan + Kaman > Gasol + Bynum.

manufor3
11-22-2008, 11:01 PM
Beacuse of the Randolph trade, im suspecting that Kaman may be the odd man out. Any of you want him?

ElNono
11-22-2008, 11:15 PM
I'd love to have him. That said, I doubt the Spurs are willing to take on his contract. It's a shame, because I think Ian is not going to be ready for at least another season, if he's NBA caliber at all (we still don't know). Kaman is a proven player, and can help TD right now. Then again, his 11+ million for the 2010+ years seem more than what our FO wants to normally take on.

DPG21920
11-22-2008, 11:58 PM
I'd love to have him. That said, I doubt the Spurs are willing to take on his contract. It's a shame, because I think Ian is not going to be ready for at least another season, if he's NBA caliber at all (we still don't know). Kaman is a proven player, and can help TD right now. Then again, his 11+ million for the 2010+ years seem more than what our FO wants to normally take on.

I think if the Spurs could get Kaman they would now. In 2010, Kaman is about the best type of player they could hope for if they want Manu Ginobili as well. So if they could do it and start winning now instead of 2010, they would.

mystargtr34
11-23-2008, 12:23 AM
What do you think the Clips would take from us?

I cant see a scenario that would work.

DPG21920
11-23-2008, 12:35 AM
What do you think the Clips would take from us?

I cant see a scenario that would work.

Neither do I. I do not think the Spurs have anything the Clips would want. I was just saying that if the Spurs could get Kaman they would imo because that is about as good as you can hope to get realistically.

timaios
11-23-2008, 12:58 AM

The 2008 Kaman plan is better than the maybe 2010. Duncan & Ginobili are ready now. In 2 years i don't know.
We have a great scoring addition this year with Mason, a good backup PG and even Finley and Bonner are playing well.
We need a fucking center who can SCORE in the paint and take rebounds.
So if by a miracle the FO can trade Kaman then fuck the 2010 plan.
With Kaman, Spurs could win 1 title or more the next 3-4 years.
Do it !!!

:lobt2:

ducks
11-23-2008, 01:06 AM
not sure I like this move

DROB4EVER
11-23-2008, 10:42 AM
Trueth be told I think getting Camby may be the better deal for us. He is a rebounding and shot blocking machine, plus he can play the high post and with only 2 years at 10mil per it wouldnt mess up the 2010 plan.

Thats the move I would make, send KT, JV AND BONNER N Ukoka and through in some picks and the Clips should go for it. They wanna dump salary and rebiuld again...they like getting high draft picks so this would help both teams!

TheTruth
11-23-2008, 10:49 AM
What do we have to offer that could get us that good a player? KT, JV, Bonner, and Udoka???? Why would any team part with an above average starting center for that junk?

timaios
11-23-2008, 10:57 AM
Trueth be told I think getting Camby may be the better deal for us. He is a rebounding and shot blocking machine, plus he can play the high post and with only 2 years at 10mil per it wouldnt mess up the 2010 plan.

Thats the move I would make, send KT, JV AND BONNER N Ukoka and through in some picks and the Clips should go for it. They wanna dump salary and rebiuld again...they like getting high draft picks so this would help both teams!

Huh... the Clippers have also a 2010 plan ! That's why they could trade Kaman and his 4 years ($9,500,000 + $10,400,000 + $11,300,000 + $12,200,000).
Camby may be the better deal for the Spurs but not for the Clippers.
And Camby will be 35 in march ! Kaman is 26.

timaios
11-23-2008, 11:00 AM
What do we have to offer that could get us that good a player? KT, JV, Bonner, and Udoka???? Why would any team part with an above average starting center for that junk?

Because their team sucks and they want to get rid of heavy contracts for 2010 free agents.

galvatron3000
11-23-2008, 11:01 AM
Camby is prone to injury and what is his contract like? I always fely Camby would be a great replacement for D Rob but onl at a reasonable price. He can rebound, block shots, defend and hit the 15 footer. Next to Tim he is perfect, small frame but no matter unless Shaq is on the floor and Tim can play defensive center.

timaios
11-23-2008, 11:04 AM
Camby is prone to injury and what is his contract like? I always fely Camby would be a great replacement for D Rob but onl at a reasonable price. He can rebound, block shots, defend and hit the 15 footer. Next to Tim he is perfect, small frame but no matter unless Shaq is on the floor and Tim can play defensive center.

2008 $10,000,000
2009 $9,650,000

K-State Spur
11-23-2008, 11:06 AM

Please, name all the MAJOR free agents who have signed in big markets like NY, LA, or Chicago since the CBA was re-vamped????? *crickets* *crickets*

DROB4EVER
11-23-2008, 11:10 AM
Huh... the Clippers have also a 2010 plan ! That's why they could trade Kaman and his 4 years ($9,500,000 + $10,400,000 + $11,300,000 + $12,200,000).
Camby may be the better deal for the Spurs but not for the Clippers.
And Camby will be 35 in march ! Kaman is 26.

The Clippers have no 2010 plan, thats why they got Randolph and B Davis. Camby's age is not a factor, he will split time with Ian and his contract is up in 2 years. He also has kept himself in good shape and he is one of the top 3 players when it comes to what we need most...rebounding and shot blocking.

Duncan and Camby would be a great defensive tandom! Kaman has more upside and is better on Offense but Camby Ian and Duncan would make us a great defensive team now without giving up the 2010 play. Getting Kaman would be great but it would screw the 2010 plan and I dont see RC doing that. Camby is 34.......Hell KT is what 37 bowen 37 Fin 35....we dont have a problem with older players and Camby is still very productive....unlike Bowen and KT.

galvatron3000
11-23-2008, 11:12 AM
Look for the Spurs to make a run at Larry Brown's old big, Rasheed Wallace next summer.

DROB4EVER
11-23-2008, 11:17 AM
Please, name all the MAJOR free agents who have signed in big markets like NY, LA, or Chicago since the CBA was re-vamped????? *crickets* *crickets*

I agree, most FA stay with their teams due to the fact the team that ownes the players rights can pay about 12.5% more over the life of the contract under the CBA.

My problem with the 2010 plan is that we will be one of 10-12 teams who will have max money. And while we can offer the fact that SA has no state income tax which saves a player like 8% we are gonna be competing with a bunch of teams.

I dont think the spurs are gonna go after the top 5 guys.....they will likely make a pitch to LJ but Im thinking they go after the older guys who are hungery for a ring.....Dirk, Joe Johnson, TMac....ect. I think a couple guys will like the fact they could play with TD and TP and a good group of role players like Ian, Likely Gist and Splitter, Hill and Mason or Manu.

DROB4EVER
11-23-2008, 11:18 AM
Look for the Spurs to make a run at Larry Brown's old big, Rasheed Wallace next summer.

We dont have the money unless he is williing to take MLE for 1yr. He would be a good pick up.

K-State Spur
11-23-2008, 11:29 AM
I agree, most FA stay with their teams due to the fact the team that ownes the players rights can pay about 12.5% more over the life of the contract under the CBA.

My problem with the 2010 plan is that we will be one of 10-12 teams who will have max money. And while we can offer the fact that SA has no state income tax which saves a player like 8% we are gonna be competing with a bunch of teams.

I dont think the spurs are gonna go after the top 5 guys.....they will likely make a pitch to LJ but Im thinking they go after the older guys who are hungery for a ring.....Dirk, Joe Johnson, TMac....ect. I think a couple guys will like the fact they could play with TD and TP and a good group of role players like Ian, Likely Gist and Splitter, Hill and Mason or Manu.

I agree with most of that, although I'll add a couple of things.

First, I think that number of teams will be dwindled to 6 or so by the time 2010 rolls around. How many GMs have the job security to truly tank multiple years in a row for just the opportunity to sign one of those guys? The Spurs are one of the few teams that can continue to win while keeping that kind of flexibility.

Also, while I do think the Spurs will take a big swing at Bosh, I think it most likely that the 2010 cap space is used on 1 or 2 trade acquisitions.

TDMVPDPOY
11-23-2008, 11:58 AM
only trading piece that has value is splitters rights.....

T Park
11-23-2008, 12:02 PM
only trading piece that has value is splitters rights.....

Wrong again.....

TDMVPDPOY
11-23-2008, 12:03 PM
guys like kaman/curry need alot of touches to be effective, without the ball they become rasho...putting up stats like rasho at 10m is a waste of salary cap.

imo why dont we just go after harrison, a big who is still young with potential, his character issues could be solved in a different environment....

man we only need a big who can reb, play defense, and jam garbage points...

PURO SAN ANTO 210!
11-23-2008, 12:13 PM
Man Wish We Could Still Get Dave Rob.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
11-23-2008, 12:23 PM
Create all the rumors you want, but the Spurs never bite on guys like Kaman and I know they won't start now. They have 2 players signed long term, we all know who those guys are, and everyone else either has a contract that expires this year or next. They have maintained long term success for many reasons one of which being the cap management the Celtics are trying to emulate.

This is the same reason they didn't go after Magette or Posey and offer them a maxed out midlevel exception contract, because the contracts like that of Posey, Maggette and Kaman are the ones that kill cap flexibility. I live in Phoenix and I'm a Suns fan, so I know all about contracts that kill flexibility with the roster coughDiawcough.

lotr1trekkie
11-23-2008, 12:34 PM
I like Kaman's game too. At 11 mill too hi. That would also screw up the much talked about 2010 free agent market. I also don't trade Hill or Mason. Thomas, Finley and Bonner add up to about 10 mill. Trading Oberto would piss Manu off and we don't need that. He's still disappointed that Scola is in Houston. My main concern would be Dallas sending Dampier and someone to LA for Kamen. Now that's an upgrade for them

DUNCANownsKOBE2
11-23-2008, 12:41 PM
Kaman is a very overrated player, in order for him to be productive he needs a PF who can't do anything. Last year he dominated because Brand was out the entire year, before then he was useless. He can't make a shot outside 12 feet and moves horribly without the ball, the Spurs should stick with this team for the time being, Oberto and KT are both very crafty defenders that can't be used right now because Pop is more desperate for offense without Ginobili and Parker.

I think at some point they'll get a center, my guess is Jeff Foster.

galvatron3000
11-23-2008, 03:00 PM
We dont have the money unless he is williing to take MLE for 1yr. He would be a good pick up.

yeah, I'm talking him taking less but he will have to take less than Detroit and no one is given up a huge contract, he will garner interest and more than the MLE but I'm holding out that he may wanrt to play next to Tim and the group we have

TDMVPDPOY
11-23-2008, 05:04 PM
Kaman is a very overrated player, in order for him to be productive he needs a PF who can't do anything. Last year he dominated because Brand was out the entire year, before then he was useless. He can't make a shot outside 12 feet and moves horribly without the ball, the Spurs should stick with this team for the time being, Oberto and KT are both very crafty defenders that can't be used right now because Pop is more desperate for offense without Ginobili and Parker.

I think at some point they'll get a center, my guess is Jeff Foster.

how old is jeff now?

might as well show harrison half the MLE.....or is he still on rookie contract

SpurSupremacist
11-23-2008, 05:18 PM
I think the only way this would happen is if they would trade Mason for him with a combo of other players.

The only reason I don't like this deal is he needs plays run for him to score. Kaman is an absolute stud, don't get me wrong, but he will need postups and I don't see how that works with Duncan on the floor at the same time, unless they're going to turn Tim into a jump shooter. He's a great, great rebounder. Something this team lacks, and Duncan is slipping on the defensive glass. A very solid shotblocker as well, but he doesn't have very good defensive awareness.

I really don't see it happening, all things considered. Probably a 10% probability.