PDA

View Full Version : What really happened at the GTG

Slomo
02-22-2005, 12:54 PM
Now that the effects of the jet lag have somewhat subsided I've decided to write a short recap of what happens if a modest country boy, like myself, gets the opportunity to hobnob with the crčme de la crčme also known as the Spurstalk.com posters and mods.

Upon my arrival to the SAT airport I went up to pick up the car I had reserved through the internet. The online system was stating that I would be issued a Ford Taurus or similar car for the daily 30$ rent. But when the rent a car employee saw my Slovenian driver’s license he insisted to give me a totally different car! Sure it was a brand new Pontiac Magnum with only 30 miles on the counter, it had leather seats, CD player… But it also had such narrow windows it made it look like a tank, I wondered if it was a not-so-subtle allusion to me coming from behind the iron curtain….

The drive to Kori’s and LJ’s house was easy enough and if there was a surprise it would have been that they are even nicer in person than they are on this board. LJ knows everything about the NBA and Kori has tons of insider stories about the Spurs – Can you imagine an information starved fan like me listening to those two? What also impressed me was the TV - OK a 67 inch high def screen is impressive enough but the little Direct TV box on top of the TV actually shows 95% of all the NBA games live!!! I had to be very careful not to stand there hypnotized and drool in the middle of their living room.

The next day I was looking forward to the GTG and sure enough people started arriving around 11 o’clock. That is when I started noticing some strange things…

Shelly was among the first to arrive and looked much younger than I remembered from her larger pictures. Even Mouse said upon meeting her “you do not look anything like your screen name!”. I caught myself wondering if it was indeed the real Shelly I was meeting. And if it wasn’t, what was the reason behind this subterfuge? She brought this excellent home made salsa, which I actually managed to smuggle a small sample back to Europe – we’ll have that stuff mass produced in Ukraine in no time!

After that things got weirder. Sequ was actually nice to me! He looked like a nice person and actually seemed to enjoy eating Mozart’s balls. I had brought a bag full of them as a replacement for Rasho’s. But where was Pseudofan? She had been my only ally in my disputes with Sequ on the forum – something was not right.

Soon after, I finally met the femme fatale of SpursTalk.com: SpursWoman. She walked in the room full of confidence, her boy toy’s short leash firmly in hand. User666 was very polite and did not seem to mind too much about the leash (but then again who would?). The stuffed Jalapenos she made were almost as hot as her!

The game started, and I was given a beer, politely tasting it and expecting the foul taste that I came to expect from Budweiser Lite, I could not believe how good it was! The Texans obviously know a thing or two about beer, unfortunately they are not sharing that knowledge with the rest of the US. Seriously if you’re ever in Texas just ask for a Shiner Bock (Note for Slovenian readers: it tastes very much like Union Pivo)!

Rasho was doing a good job defensively against Shaq, but his shooting was just horrible. Things were not looking too bad at half time, when a man in a black suit jumped into the room! You guessed it Mouse made his entrance, followed by Mr. & Mrs. CrazyOne – who looked perfectly sane to me, but what do I know…

Now Mouse immediately started to talk smack to everybody, and he was very good at it! I was laughing and enjoying myself until I realized that Mouse was ever so subtly questioning me about the secrets of the Soviet Union – this guy is good!

Thank god I got a reprieve from the questioning when Kori called us to start eating all the fantastic food that had accumulated on the table since the beginning of the game. Now I can not tell you what we ate – despite my many questions people were very secretive about the food – but it was delicious! I just hope I’ll be able to pass the mandatory drug test upon returning to my country….

Unfortunately the Spurs lost the game and it did make things a little awkward for me since I was blamed for it – my presence in the USA obviously not bringing any luck to the Spurs.

After the game, Mouse lured me outside to the patio where the questioning continued. BigZak was there and was trying to get my attention, I couldn’t help but think that he was trying to tell me something, but under the ever so vigilant eye of JoeChalupa he did not dare say anything. I somehow got through the 3rd degree and returned inside, people were already leaving. I found BigZak in the living room sweating through every pore and obviously terrified by something or someone. At a certain point he started mumbling and I was sure I would finally find out about what was going on, but at that moment Mouse offered me another beer and as I turned back to BigZak he was no longer there. Despite looking everywhere BigZak had disappeared! Everybody acting like nothing was wrong just confirmed my suspicions. He was obviously trying to warn me about something but they got to him before me!

The rest of the evening is somewhat of a blur, I wonder if they slipped something in my beer or was it just the somewhat excessive number of Shiner Bock I drank that day? Anyway I blame them!

The next day I decided to explore San Antonio, maybe find out what BigZak was trying to warn me about. I was about to go when MannyIsGod called and insisted he would accompany me and “show me the sites” – keeping an eye on me was more what he wanted to do.

First we drove to the Alamo, visited the River Walk and walked by the new Library I was enjoying an unusually warm day for the season and listening to some interesting facts from Manny. That was a mistake, probably sensing my guard was down he suggested we have chicken fried steak for lunch. He further explained that is was a culinary specialty from Texas and that it was basically a fried steak with some gravy and mash potatoes. I agreed and we went to a diner that was advertising the Texan dish in its window. When we received our food I knew I was in trouble. The chicken fried steak was made of beef, and the steak was covered with a creamy white substance! Gravy my ass! I tried to avoid eating it but Manny was already eating insisting that it was really good. I thought that if I ate it really fast it would buy me some time before I get the full effect of whatever that stuff was.

Well it did not work. The rest of the day is a blur. I vaguely remember some dried out ponds in some weird gardens, a church surrounded by prison cells, and me carrying a big plastic bag full of Spurs gear. Thank God I took pictures so I’ll try to analyze them later.

I couldn’t think straight until the next day. While our flight was following the Mississippi river on its way to Europe I was trying to make sense of what had happened to me the past three days. As you can see the reality of these GTG is much different than the idyllic tales that have been published previously. I now know that there is more going on than we are made to believe and I for one will not rest until I get to the bottom of it!

I have decided to sacrifice myself and to grab the first opportunity that will present itself to return to San Antonio. Maybe next time I will get the opportunity to investigate the HQ of this shady organization, more commonly known as the SBC centre.

On a more serious note:
Thanks to everybody I got to meet for a lovely time and specially to Kori, LJ, Jekka, MannyIsGod and Gregg for taking such good care of me.

Slomo

Shelly
02-22-2005, 01:14 PM
Glad you had a wonderful time, Slomo! It was great to meet you and thanks again for the gifts!

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-22-2005, 01:16 PM
Props to Slomo!

See ya next time!

bigzak25
02-22-2005, 01:41 PM
I found BigZak in the living room sweating through every pore and obviously terrified by something or someone. At a certain point he started mumbling and I was sure I would finally find out about what was going on, but at that moment Mouse offered me another beer and as I turned back to BigZak he was no longer there. Despite looking everywhere BigZak had disappeared!

that's hilarious from my point of view man....the only warning i was sending was the unintentional one of NOT to drink 10-12 beers in about an hour and a half....kori's food was damn good for the 15 minutes or so that i was able to hold it down....and that, is why big z dissappeared so fast. you would have found me across the street, sleeping in my car listening to old school jams on 94.1.....was definitely a great time though!!!

awesome recap slomo. was a pleasure to meet you man.
glad you had a great time in SA, props to the peeps with the hospitality.
see you next time! :smokin

Slomo
02-22-2005, 01:58 PM
that's hilarious from my point of view man....the only warning i was sending was the unintentional one of NOT to drink 10-12 beers in about an hour and a half....kori's food was damn good for the 15 minutes or so that i was able to hold it down....and that, is why big z dissappeared so fast. you would have found me across the street, sleeping in my car listening to old school jams on 94.1.....was definitely a great time though!!!
:lol

It's funny in retrospect, but at the time you looked sick like hell. Beer will do that to you, specially good tasting beer! http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smismokin.gif

timvp
02-22-2005, 02:24 PM
Again, it was very nice to meet you Slomo. Unless Mouse is able to come thru with that autographed Rasho jersey he promised, you are welcome back any time. :)

The most classic thing is that after we said bye to Slomo, I found a Slovenian flag hanging inside our home. It reminded me of a mix between Iwo Jima and the first moon landing.

http://www.archives.gov/exhibit_hall/a_people_at_war/images/image_iwo_jima.jpg

http://c.ancestry.com/i/landing/article/moon/flag.jpg

http://www.meierfrank.com/images/DF_534.gif

With Slomo's gesture, I guess that part of our house has been officially annexed by Slovenia.

:smokin

Shelly
02-22-2005, 02:28 PM
:lol That's awesome!

Jekka
02-22-2005, 02:53 PM
oops

MannyIsGod
02-22-2005, 02:54 PM
:lmao

Classic man, I can't wait till you come back.

Slomo is World Class

Useruser666
02-22-2005, 03:35 PM
So when is the GTG in Slovenia?

Slomo
02-22-2005, 06:56 PM
So when is the GTG in Slovenia?
We haven't set a date yet, but you're all invited!

Kori Ellis
02-22-2005, 06:59 PM
Slomo,

Again thanks for the wonderful time and all the gifts. We haven't tried the pear brandy yet. You are welcome in our home anytime.

--Kori

Slomo
02-22-2005, 07:14 PM
Slomo,

We haven't tried the pear brandy yet.

--Kori
You should, it's a great remedy for frost bites, just don't do any driving afterward. :)

Solid D
02-22-2005, 08:31 PM
I couldn’t think straight until the next day. While our flight was following the Mississippi river on its way to Europe I was trying to make sense of what had happened to me the past three days.

.................................................. ................................... Hey, this way Slomo! http://www.mtiweb.com/isp/images/icons/arrows/rhi.gif

http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/countrys/namerica/usstates/artwork/rivers/mississp.gif

Solid D
02-22-2005, 08:37 PM
Great story, Slomo!!! As Pop would say...this guy is "Good People".

Slomo
02-22-2005, 08:41 PM
.................................................. ................................... Hey, this way Slomo! http://www.mtiweb.com/isp/images/icons/arrows/rhi.gif

http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/countrys/namerica/usstates/artwork/rivers/mississp.gif I know it's weird but all Europe bound flights go over canada, nova scotia and greenland, so from Houston you first head north, north-east and then across. The weather over the States was great and I got a great view of the Mississippi for the first couple of hours of the flight (I actually could distinguish river barges and cities along the river).

BTW do you know what was the nationality of the guy who swam the whole length of the Mississippi?

SequSpur
02-22-2005, 09:20 PM
The thing that is cool about Slomo is...............

he is not a poser.
he is not a stalker.
he has his own philosophy.
he doesn't have utah jazz gear.
and.........
he brings alot of balls with him.

Can't beat that. Nice meeting ya!

blackbucket
02-22-2005, 09:52 PM
That was a great read Slomo. I thoroughly enjoyed it. You write better than most Americans! I wish I was able to stay after the game and hang. I'm glad you had a good time and look forward to the next time you are in "our" fair city.

CrazyOne
02-23-2005, 12:12 AM
The reason for the route up the Mississippi, over Canada and Greenland is the Great Circle Route. On a globe, you can get a piece of string, and find that the shortest route between two points is actually an arc.

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-23-2005, 12:37 AM
I do believe Solid D has been owned!

MannyIsGod
02-23-2005, 01:53 AM
You write better than most Americans!

Yeah, that's something both Jess and I noticed. The man's language skills are impecable.

Slo spurs fan
02-23-2005, 04:39 AM
BTW do you know what was the nationality of the guy who swam the whole length of the Mississippi?

SLOVENIAN 8
02-23-2005, 05:19 AM

Slovenian Martin Strel!!! :smokin
We owned Mississippi!!! :smokin
http://www.siol.net/dogodki/martinstrel/lang_context.asp
http://www.siol.net/photo/gallery_271/m012.jpg

timvp
02-23-2005, 05:25 AM
No river is too long for Slovenian marathon swimmer Strel

Slovenian marathon swimmer Martin Strel has swum day and night along the world's longest rivers in a bid to break political and other barriers between the countries bordering them.

The 50-year-old guitar teacher has braved piranhas and alligators and earned three mentions in the Guiness Book of Records.

Strel is an example of the sort of "new Europeans" in the 10 countries set to join the European Union on May 1.

In December, Strel became the first man to swim 1,929 kilometresmiles) of South America's Parana river, which forms the border between Argentinia, Brazil and Paraguay.

He did it in 24 days during which he left the water only at night.

Strel set the world distance swimming record in 2000 when he swam all 3,004 kilometres of the Danube, Europe's second-largest river after the Volga, in 58 days, starting from Germany and crossing another nine nations.

A year later, on the same river, Strel swam for 84 hours and 37 minutes without a break and covered a total of 504 kilometres.

In 2002, he became the first man ever to swim the 3,797-kilometre-long Mississippi river in the United States, crossing muddy waters with alligators and snakes and swimming along with huge cargo ships.

"I swim for peace and for unpolluted waters," is how Strel recently explained his mission.

"Swimming along the Danube, I crossed 10 countries, and had to have different visas. It was more trouble than was necessary. Such a small region with so many states and controls," he told AFP.

"Now things will start getting better," he added in reference to 10 nations, including Slovenia, joining the European Union on May 1.

"I expect much from accession, its going to be a great event for Slovenia," Strel said.
He said that on his travels, he has often been greeted warmly by people who knew him better than his country, though he believes this may change.

"Slovenians travel more and more. When you go around the world and people hear that you come from a state that is part of such a powerful club like the EU, they show more tolerance towards you."

Strel's next project is to swim 4,600 kilometres along China's Yangtze river in June.
Due to the strength of the river's current, he sees this as his most challenging project to date.

Strel said he is sure that the May enlargement will not be the EU's last and that other states in southeastern Europe will soon join the bloc.

"I know states like Croatia will join us. Serbs will also do whatever is needed to join. Things will get better in those states since ordinary people want to be part of this Europe," said Strel.

You Slovenians are freaks. What is in the water over there? By this time 20 years from now, about 10% of the population will be in the NBA.

SLOVENIAN 8
02-23-2005, 05:28 AM
You Slovenians are freaks. What is in the water over there? By this time 20 years from now, about 10% of the population will be in the NBA.

I could mail you some water :eyebrows :eyebrows :lmao

Slo spurs fan
02-23-2005, 06:43 AM
Oh yea, He already swim Yangtce river! :spin :spin :spin (4600 km)

alamo50
02-23-2005, 07:50 AM
I enjoyed reading your recap very much while laughing my ass of Slomo!
Thanks!

Slomo
02-23-2005, 10:40 AM
I enjoyed reading your recap very much while laughing my ass of Slomo!
Thanks!
You're welcome! I enjoyed being there even more, but I don't need to tell you that!

Slomo
02-23-2005, 10:45 AM

Which will be such a small number that nobody will notice! :lol

Useruser666
02-23-2005, 12:07 PM
What happens at a GTG, stays at the GTG!

Slomo
02-23-2005, 12:09 PM
What happens at a GTG, stays at the GTG!
Now you tell me!

SpursWoman
02-23-2005, 04:31 PM
:makeout @ Slomo! :lol :lol

I love meeting people from the forum....especially ones that travel so far to get here (whether just chance or not) and come bearing gifts. :smokin

Solid D
02-23-2005, 05:42 PM
The reason for the route up the Mississippi, over Canada and Greenland is the Great Circle Route. On a globe, you can get a piece of string, and find that the shortest route between two points is actually an arc.

Yeah, I know about the arc. I even thought about that string technique last night after reading Slomo's story. It did sound funny, though.

Solid D
02-23-2005, 06:01 PM
I used a Circle Map Flight planner. Not exactly south to north, eh? :)

Flight path appears to travel just east of the Great Lakes.

http://gc.kls2.com/cgi-bin/gcmap?PATH=IAH-VIE&PATH-UNITS=mi

mouse
02-23-2005, 08:39 PM
I only have 3 words to say..........

Kay Gee Bee :lmao

Slomo
02-23-2005, 09:03 PM
I only have 3 words to say..........

Kay Gee Bee :lmao
Busted! :lol