PDA

View Full Version : Should Oberto, Bonner, KT be waived/bought out?

Fabbs
11-21-2008, 02:05 PM
Duncan window era for Championships is not going to last forever. Having already Popped away chances for a repeat, what can we do to get a quality big next to Tim for a title run?

I freely admit i do not know of all the cap ramifications. So feel free to inform if waiving/buying out any or all of the above will screw that up. However don't cry me a river about money. I'm with the camp that thinks Holt is doing just fine and needs to spend whatever is neccessary for another Championship. He has the money. Pull your head out of your ass, or ask another to assist you in doing so if you dont believe he does.

Now, back to those three. It appears none of them are the answer for our need of a big next to Tim. Fabs heart murmur the reason for his suckage ever since 2007 Champs? Bonner experiment is old and tired. Yeah yeah he occasionally starts hitting his spaztic treys and sends some hearts a flutter. Problem is he is way to inconsistent and no signs of ever changing. Bonner is not the athletic big we need.

KT seems to be very blahzay since signing his new Spurs contract. We do not need old and blahzey. We have Wino Popped for that.

So, can any or all of these three be waived/bought out without too many ramifications?

Would any of them, for the good of the team that brought them all a 2007 title, accept a lesser buyout out of gratitude?

ChumpDumper
11-21-2008, 02:06 PM
And then sign whom with what money?

MarHill
11-21-2008, 02:16 PM
Oberto plays well Duncan and Manu...so he's not going anywhere. Also, Bonner has played well in the last four games and is finally starting to get it....somewhat. I understand that KT is hurt and hasn't played well so far. But, it's only 11 games into a new season. Yikes!!

Also, it's easy to write to get rid of someone....but what do we get in return realistically (not some silly pipe dream pick-up like a Chris Bosh) and there is economic situation you have to deal with as a franchise.

It is not so easy to just get rid of players with guaranteed contracts.

Fabbs
11-21-2008, 02:26 PM
Oberto used to play well along Tim and Manu. He has sucked for quite some time now, most importantly in last years playoffs. I'm not dogging his effort, in fact I'm suggesting perhaps his heart is no longer functioning well. The point is, all indications are we are not going to title with Oberto as a main big.

Bonner you're buying into one of his upswings. It wont last. Not gonna work come playoff time.

KT gonna get injured again and again.

I'm looking for much closer to a sure thing. Much more athletic and mobile then any of these three. A scoring threat to free up Duncan for only the 2nd time in his career. (DRob being the only other and that being more like 1999 only.)

z0sa
11-21-2008, 02:26 PM
Anyone who wants to just get rid of Bonner after his last four games is retarded. Period.

z0sa
11-21-2008, 02:27 PM
Bonner you're buying into one of his upswings. It wont last. Not gonna work come playoff time.

You mean Pop's buying into playing him consistently and its paying off, making jackasses like you look like a fool?

What of his inconsistent PT last season? with as much as 2-3 months of bench sitting inbetween spurts? How does a player improve in a system without making any mistakes? Its clear hes got the rotations down finally, and hes rebounding the ball, something you generally don't have spurts with - you either do, or you don't. His work ethic is second to none, his heart is thrown out in front of him every night on the floor. He's getting smarter and smarter next to Tim.

STFU.

Dr. Gonzo
11-21-2008, 02:28 PM
I think there should be a Bonner/Vaughn package of some sort to be dealt for a superstar.

tp2021
11-21-2008, 02:29 PM
Would any of them, for the good of the team that brought them all a 2007 title, accept a lesser buyout out of gratitude?No.

tp2021
11-21-2008, 02:29 PM
I think there should be a Bonner/Vaughn package of some sort to be dealt for a superstar.

And Ahearn.

DROB4EVER
11-21-2008, 02:55 PM
Bonner yes but Oberto can be useful. Thomas is Done! I keep holding out hope he is just out of shape from the injury but he looks like vaughns grandpa out there!

ChumpDumper
11-21-2008, 02:58 PM
I'm looking for much closer to a sure thing. Much more athletic and mobile then any of these three. A scoring threat to free up Duncan for only the 2nd time in his career. (DRob being the only other and that being more like 1999 only.)So who and with what money?

tav1
11-21-2008, 03:20 PM
CD do you know how much of Oberto's contract is guaranteed next season? I know it's only a partial. I agree with everything you've said here, but I do think the Spurs will have to think hard about whether to let him go this summer.

ChumpDumper
11-21-2008, 03:26 PM
CD do you know how much of Oberto's contract is guaranteed next season? I know it's only a partial. I agree with everything you've said here, but I do think the Spurs will have to think hard about whether to let him go this summer.I have no idea, but if it is partially guaranteed that decision doesn't have to be made until the remainder becomes guaranteed. That could be as late as January.

tav1
11-21-2008, 03:29 PM
I have no idea, but if it is partially guaranteed that decision doesn't have to be made until the remainder becomes guaranteed. That could be as late as January.

Okay. Thanks. That's good information to know.

vander
11-21-2008, 03:47 PM
Anyone who wants to just get rid of Bonner after his last four games is retarded. Period.

or even before then :ihit

ChumpDumper
11-21-2008, 03:50 PM
I still find it curious to propose buying out three rotation big men with absolutely no suggestion as to who should be their replacements.

YoMamaIsCallin
11-21-2008, 04:24 PM
I don't like my car. I think I'll just drive it to some vacant lot and leave it there. Then I'll go buy a new car.

Maybe I'll leave a bunch of hundred dollar bills lying on the dashboard, so that whoever takes it won't be inconvenienced.

Of course, I'll keep up payments on the loan, otherwise it'll kill my credit rating.

After all, I've got lots of money, and what's important is that I have a good car.

MarHill
11-21-2008, 04:32 PM
I still find it curious to propose buying out three rotation big men with absolutely no suggestion as to who should be their replacements.

My point exactly!!

Thanks Chump Dumper!!!

Also, Fab can still play with Manu and Duncan. Remember Manu hasn't played this season yet.

Moreover, I know we need another big but suggesting to get rid of one or two or three....without getting anything in return is silly. We have to use what have and make it work.

MarHill
11-21-2008, 04:35 PM
[QUOTE=Fabbs;2916012]Oberto used to play well along Tim and Manu. He has sucked for quite some time now, most importantly in last years playoffs. I'm not dogging his effort, in fact I'm suggesting perhaps his heart is no longer functioning well. The point is, all indications are we are not going to title with Oberto as a main big.

KT gonna get injured again and again.

I'm looking for much closer to a sure thing. Much more athletic and mobile then any of these three. A scoring threat to free up Duncan for only the 2nd time in his career. (DRob being the only other and that being more like 1999 only.)[/QUOTE

How can you write that? Manu hasn't played this season yet. And
Fab has played well with both him and TD. Also to write that his heart isn't it.....is shortsighted.

Of course we need another big...but I'm going to get rid of someone who has played well off two of the real big 3. Sorry!!

timvp
11-21-2008, 04:40 PM
None of those players are going to be bought out or waived during the season. The offseason is a different story, although that depends on whether or not the final year of each of their contracts is fully guaranteed.

The bigman corps for the Spurs is actually not as bad as most Spurs fans make it out to be, especially if Mahinmi is able to come in and fill the missing holes. Right now, the Spurs have the smart and good passing big (Oberto), the big who can defend on the low block against size (Thomas), the perimeter big (Bonner) and the energy big (Tolliver). The glaring omission is the athletic, shotblocking big. If Mahinmi is good enough to play 15 minutes a game and alter a few shots and use his athleticism to get up and down the court, suddenly all the pieces fit.

temujin
11-21-2008, 04:52 PM
I don't like my car. I think I'll just drive it to some vacant lot and leave it there. Then I'll go buy a new car.

Maybe I'll leave a bunch of hundred dollar bills lying on the dashboard, so that whoever takes it won't be inconvenienced.

Of course, I'll keep up payments on the loan, otherwise it'll kill my credit rating.

After all, I've got lots of money, and what's important is that I have a good car.

Actually, that's more or less the way the US WAS functioning.
So one should wonder why such "ideas" were not brought up before.

AFBlue
11-21-2008, 05:19 PM
None of the players listed are in the final years of their contract, but all of them fit that description next year.

I wouldn't be surprised if one or more are not with the team next season, but Chump is right....at this point there's no better option. And the follow-on point, what do you save by waiving them?

IMO, the best thing to do is get everyone back and healthy, keep tinkering with the rotation, see what fits, and then go from there. Seriously doubt anything will be done this year though.

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-21-2008, 05:25 PM
Any chance that for the good of the team that brought him a ring in 07 that Oberto would allow the Spurs to remove his brain and put it inside Ian?

AFBlue
11-21-2008, 05:33 PM
Any chance that for the good of the team that brought him a ring in 07 that Oberto would allow the Spurs to remove his brain and put it inside Ian?

You'd end up with Splitter....he passed. :bang

xtremesteven33
11-21-2008, 05:36 PM

That would be cool, a black argentinian

K-State Spur
11-21-2008, 05:59 PM
Why would you want to? Nobody better out there right now. Then, this offseason (or into next season), the expiring deals have value.

Obstructed_View
11-21-2008, 06:02 PM
For a team that's thin on the front line, buying out and releasing both of your starting centers and your backup power forward may be the stupidest thing I've EVER read on Spurstalk. Who else but Fabbs? :lol

barbacoataco
11-21-2008, 06:11 PM
The hope for the Spurs is mahinmi. I guess there is always the chance someone might want to dump salary later in the season (eg Gasol) and the Spurs could get someone quality.

One question- if and when Mahinmi becomes active, who goes inactive? If the Spurs keep 3 PG's active, and they will have 5 SG/SF active (Ginobili, Mason, Bowen, Udoka, Finley) that only leaves 4 spots for bigs. Duncan, Thomas, Oberto, Bonner, Tolliver and Mahinmi is 6 players, so two would have to be inactive. Tolliver is one, but who is the other. I see Vaughn, and udoka as options. At any given time someone might be injured anyway.

mrspurs
11-21-2008, 06:52 PM
This is what they bring us. Guys like Fab and Kurt. And until they make the changes thats what we'll be stuck with. Guys like Fab and Kurt.

ChumpDumper
11-21-2008, 06:54 PM
What changes?

Fabbs
11-21-2008, 09:29 PM
Why would you want to? Nobody better out there right now. Then, this offseason (or into next season), the expiring deals have value.
Yeah the athletic 3/4 cupboard is very bare at present.

I wanted to see what was going to happen with Al Harrington and we got that answer today, he's a Knick. I'm not purporting that Al was the answer, but he is an upgrade over Fabbs-Bonner-KT imo.

Hmmn so if we tank 2009 whats avail this upcoming summer?

None of those players are going to be bought out or waived during the season. The offseason is a different story, although that depends on whether or not the final year of each of their contracts is fully guaranteed.

The bigman corps for the Spurs is actually not as bad as most Spurs fans make it out to be, especially if Mahinmi is able to come in and fill the missing holes. Right now, the Spurs have the smart and good passing big (Oberto), the big who can defend on the low block against size (Thomas), the perimeter big (Bonner) and the energy big (Tolliver). The glaring omission is the athletic, shotblocking big. If Mahinmi is good enough to play 15 minutes a game and alter a few shots and use his athleticism to get up and down the court, suddenly all the pieces fit.
Mahinmi for 15 still leaves 33 minutes per game with the unathletic plodders (sans Toliver). Still looking for a guy who can score alongside Tim.

m33p0
11-22-2008, 12:42 AM
Tiago Splitter :flipoff