PDA

View Full Version : Spurs FA wish list 2010......?

stxspurs
11-21-2008, 07:47 PM
looks like everyone is in fire sale mode to make $$ room for the free agents next year....what FA would the spurs actually have a legit chance at getting?
i doubt with all the trading going on at this time we are not gonna mess up our money situation by picking someone up like kaman.

Blackjack
11-21-2008, 08:10 PM
I'd say Bosh, with his Texas ties, admiration for Dave and Tim growing up, would be their best chance at the top-tier of free-agents, but still not a very likely scenario.

A guy like J.Johnson or someone who falls just below the very top-tier of free-agents is probably what you can expect if the Spurs are able to land a big-time free-agent in 2010.

The Spurs actually might be better off though getting their guy from one of these teams looking to free cap room for 2010.

There should be some opportunities for some Gasol like deals with the desperation of some of these teams looking to free cap room, so if I'm the Spurs that's what I'm looking to do.

Afterall, if you can get a quality player that helps now, why would you let the core of this team get two years older and mortgage your future on a slim shot of landing that mythical big-time free-agent?

exstatic
11-21-2008, 09:06 PM
I'd say Bosh, with his Texas ties, admiration for Dave and Tim growing up, would be their best chance at the top-tier of free-agents, but still not a very likely scenario.

A guy like J.Johnson or someone who falls just below the very top-tier of free-agents is probably what you can expect if the Spurs are able to land a big-time free-agent in 2010.

The Spurs actually might be better off though getting their guy from one of these teams looking to free cap room for 2010.

There should be some opportunities for some Gasol like deals with the desperation of some of these teams looking to free cap room, so if I'm the Spurs that's what I'm looking to do.

Afterall, if you can get a quality player that helps now, why would you let the core of this team get two years older and mortgage your future on a slim shot of landing that mythical big-time free-agent?

Another thing to consider is that teams may not want their high draft picks. The first 8 slots in 2010 all make between $2M and $4.1M starting salary. If a team with multiple picks has one of the top ones, even if they're willing to pay that, they may not want to be on the hook for that 15-18 mid first round pick salary.

SequSpur
11-21-2008, 09:07 PM
Another thing to consider is that teams may not want their high draft picks. The first 8 slots in 2010 all make between $2M and $4.1M starting salary. If a team with multiple picks has one of the top ones, even if they're willing to pay that, they may not want to be on the hook for that 15-18 mid first round pick salary.

the salary cap may be going down 10m

exstatic
11-21-2008, 09:23 PM
the salary cap may be going down 10m

Doubtful, but if it does, there will be lots of teams not making qualifying offers to their year 3 and year 4 FAs. The Spurs will still have some cap room in that scenario. Swoop in and sign 2 of them.

bdictjames
11-21-2008, 09:40 PM
Ginobili comes off at 2010, I'd be happy if we kept him.

ducks
11-21-2008, 09:43 PM
james and bosh are going to new york according to stephen smith

AFBlue
11-21-2008, 09:54 PM
Here's a name that I haven't seen anywhere....

LaMarcus Aldridge

If he doesn't sign an extension prior to next season, he'll be a restricted FA during the summer of 2010.

While I think it's still likely the Blazers match any max-type deal, they will have to worry about keeping the rest of their young stars and by that time Oden may have blossomed into their true dominant post player.

I'm not sure if he's more or less likely than the other big three at this point (LeBron, Bosh, Wade), but he should at least be mentioned....because he's young and potentially dominant.

Slinkyman
11-21-2008, 10:09 PM
Bosh should be at the top of the list, Lebron will never come here.

urunobili
11-21-2008, 10:10 PM
Bosh

DROB4EVER
11-21-2008, 10:12 PM
I hope Aldridge, but I think the Spurs are gonna outsmart everyone, I think they are gonna go for some older vets like Dirk or R Jefferson and then be willing to take players from other teams that want to clear salary....like they did with Hedo....Man a lineup of Dirk Duncan Jefferson Manu and Parker would be killer. Hill and Ian off the bench, not bad.

galvatron3000
11-21-2008, 10:33 PM
I'm hoping the Spurs can snatch Rasheed, Moon or both next summer at a bargain then in 2010 they may intice a name to join them for a run, Duncan, Wallace, Moon, Ginobili, Parker with the dirty bench of Mason, Hill, Mahinmi.

AFBlue
11-21-2008, 10:36 PM
I hope Aldridge, but I think the Spurs are gonna outsmart everyone, I think they are gonna go for some older vets like Dirk or R Jefferson and then be willing to take players from other teams that want to clear salary....like they did with Hedo....Man a lineup of Dirk Duncan Jefferson Manu and Parker would be killer. Hill and Ian off the bench, not bad.

Dirk won't be "old". Actually I think he'll be looking for his last big payday.

AFBlue
11-21-2008, 10:38 PM
Everyone is saying Bosh, but I really think the better value is Aldridge. He's younger and plays better defense.

The only issue with Aldridge is whether or not the Blazers would lock him up before 2010 or match a max-type deal for him if the Spurs offered.

ducks
11-21-2008, 10:38 PM
Bosh should be at the top of the list, Lebron will never come here.

:hat:hat:hat:hat:hat:hat:hat:hat:hat:hat:hat:hat:h at:hat:hat:hat:hat

DROB4EVER
11-21-2008, 10:40 PM
Dirk won't be "old". Actually I think he'll be looking for his last big payday.

Didnt mean old, but older, 30-32....I think Dirk may want to get paid but the chance to win a title is something Im sure he would take a cut for. Besides we could give him max money if the spurs wanted and still get another very good player.

DROB4EVER
11-21-2008, 10:42 PM
Everyone is saying Bosh, but I really think the better value is Aldridge. He's younger and plays better defense.

The only issue with Aldridge is whether or not the Blazers would lock him up before 2010 or match a max-type deal for him if the Spurs offered.

Bosh is going to NY. Aldridge will likely hit the market, the Blazers have lots of players to lock up in 2010 and 2011 Oden and Roy and they have a guy who they drafted a couple years back named Freeland who is a very good PF who will likely be brought over in 2010.

AFBlue
11-21-2008, 10:42 PM
Didnt mean old, but older, 30-32....I think Dirk may want to get paid but the chance to win a title is something Im sure he would take a cut for. Besides we could give him max money if the spurs wanted and still get another very good player.

I just can't stand Dirk...maybe that's why I'm arguing. :lol

Dingle Barry
11-21-2008, 10:43 PM
Aldridge is definitely an option...Portland has some tough decisions to make

AFBlue
11-21-2008, 10:45 PM
Aldridge is definitely an option...Portland has some tough decisions to make

Probably the best option of the RFAs that might be out there in 2010.

Rudy Gay is another...

angelbelow
11-21-2008, 10:51 PM
splitter on a rookie contract.

exstatic
11-21-2008, 10:51 PM
Aldridge is a pipe dream. Portland won't let anyone sign him away. Concentrate on the UFAs.

AFBlue
11-21-2008, 10:56 PM
Aldridge is a pipe dream. Portland won't let anyone sign him away. Concentrate on the UFAs.

I think if I had my choices it would be...

1) Aldridge
2) Bosh
3) Wade
4) Gay
5) Joe Johnson

I also wouldn't mind Rip Hamilton or Jermaine O'Neal on reasonable/short contracts.

And I'm excluding Lebron.

ducks
11-21-2008, 10:58 PM
manu maybe on a 2 year 12 million dollar deal

ducks
11-21-2008, 10:59 PM
chandler maybe not be a bad option if ian does not pan out

Cry Havoc
11-21-2008, 11:01 PM
If we get Bosh, Tony Parker is going to wind up with as many or more rings than Michael Jordan.

AFBlue
11-21-2008, 11:01 PM

They have a max deal coming for Roy, some kind of deal for Webster, and Oden's extension looming large in 2010.

If I'm not mistaken, they also have some money to play with next year. So if they wanted to take a "win-now" attitude, they could make a play for say...Carlos Boozer.

Okay, okay, at this point I'd have to agree the chances are slim. But the situation may have changed in 2010....which is why I'm done with this thread.

Enjoy the team we've got to root for and worry about 2010 when it rolls around. The FO has a plan to make a splash and they're pretty good at execution.

jjktkk
11-21-2008, 11:15 PM

No, Stephen A. Smith said today on ESPN, that James and Bosh could go to New York, key word being could. He also mentioned Dwayne Wade, Dirk Nowitzski, and Amare Stoudamire, could come to New York. Bottom line Smith basically said that the Knickerbockers will be able to sign two superstars in 2010.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-21-2008, 11:22 PM
What we should do is sign Darius Miles to play 10 games so his salary goes onto Portland's books and makes things even harder for them... ;)

AFBlue
11-21-2008, 11:23 PM
What we should do is sign Darius Miles to play 10 games so his salary goes onto Portland's books and makes things even harder for them... ;)

:lol

galvatron3000
11-21-2008, 11:25 PM

:lobt:

K-State Spur
11-22-2008, 12:09 AM
No, Stephen A. Smith said today on ESPN, that James and Bosh could go to New York, key word being could. He also mentioned Dwayne Wade, Dirk Nowitzski, and Amare Stoudamire, could come to New York. Bottom line Smith basically said that the Knickerbockers will be able to sign two superstars in 2010.

only if they are planning on playing with a 3 man roster. there won't be enough cap room for 2 new max deals once they've filled out their roster. hell, if you offered them JUST james in 2010, they'd take that and run with it and never look back.

Dr. Gonzo
11-22-2008, 12:15 AM
Why wait until 2010 for Bosh? Why not offer Toronto a package of Vaughn and Bonner this season?

peskypesky
11-22-2008, 12:17 AM
Spurs wont get shit from the FA market in 2010. They haven't been able to get shit from the FA market in the past 10 years, so why does anyone think their luck is going to change?

Galileo
11-22-2008, 12:21 AM
Jalen Rose said he had inside info, that Bosh & James are going to New York.

This fits in well with the Stern anti-small market conspiracy.

We will still be able to nab to top flight talent and maybe kick the Knicks ass in the '10 finals.

:flag:

peskypesky
11-22-2008, 12:26 AM

You, my friend, are a genius. You said it so much better than I ever could.
:toast

MrChug
11-22-2008, 12:36 AM

...well I'm glad we have that question answered. :rolleyes

ducks
11-22-2008, 12:37 AM
actually I think amare is new york

TDMVPDPOY
11-22-2008, 12:40 AM
BE NICE too get bosh or chandler...

either can play center, splitter/duncan/bosh or chandler front court...bring it on

angelbelow
11-22-2008, 12:40 AM
They have a max deal coming for Roy, some kind of deal for Webster, and Oden's extension looming large in 2010.

If I'm not mistaken, they also have some money to play with next year. So if they wanted to take a "win-now" attitude, they could make a play for say...Carlos Boozer.

Okay, okay, at this point I'd have to agree the chances are slim. But the situation may have changed in 2010....which is why I'm done with this thread.

Enjoy the team we've got to root for and worry about 2010 when it rolls around. The FO has a plan to make a splash and they're pretty good at execution.

their owner is paul allen, if he wanted to he could pull a mark cuban. the only reason why he hasnt is because hes smarter. but with that said, this current blazer team is a team to bank on.

Biggems
11-22-2008, 01:06 AM

Amare? he will be a UFA in 2010? if so, go after him. Amare, Duncan, Manu, Parker, Hill, Mason, Ian, Tolliver, Hairston, and Gist would be one sick lineup

Blackjack
11-22-2008, 01:21 AM

It would definitely be nice to recoup a 1st for next year, and even better if that pick ended up being in that 15-18 range like you suggest. :tu

I was actually thinking about that the other day, but I'm not as knowledgable on the money side of things as I am on the basketball side of things.

Another thing I really think they need to explore is, Portlands interest in Udoka.

They really want a vet in the locker-room to help them take the next step, so Udoka (having been acknowledged as a leader when there, and a hometown kid) would seem to have more value to them than just about anyone else.

Batum would obviously be ideal, and with Fernandez, Outlaw, and the newly signed Webster, maybe there's an opportunity for the Spurs make a move.

As much as they like Batum, there seems to be a realization that they've got more talent than they can truly develop. I'm sure there's better offers they could get talent wise than what the Spurs can offer, but for what they want/need? Ime's a known quantity that meshes with the team and community, so maybe if the Spurs throw in a pick or offer some kind of sweetener they could get a deal done.

I'd also be interested in Diogu, since are only true capable post-player is Duncan, but I'm not sure if I'd be as interested if I'd been able to see Ian with the team by now. I just don't think there'd be the minutes to develop both of them to contribute on a team in a "win now" mode.

Blackjack
11-22-2008, 01:31 AM
You, my friend, are a genius. You said it so much better than I ever could.
:toast

No, no, no....

You're the genius!:toast

And I thank you for recognizing my vast/incomprehensible intellect.:smokin

Biggems
11-22-2008, 01:48 AM
Ime, Thomas, and a 2nd for Batum and Diogu

I think that would be a very nice trade for the Spurs....i dont think Portland would care for this trade though.....

Gino2882
11-22-2008, 01:50 AM
I think Chris Bosh is the only one of the big stars that the Spurs would have any shot at getting.

peskypesky
11-22-2008, 01:55 AM
I think Chris Bosh is the only one of the big stars that the Spurs would have any shot at getting.

You really think he'd come to SA over LA, NYC, or Chicago? After being stuck in the boondocks for so long? I don't see it. I think he'll want to be in a big city.

timvp
11-22-2008, 02:04 AM
Not to rain on the parade but the way Mason is playing, some of that expected free agency money will have to be used to keep him. Same for Mahinmi if he pans out.

Far too early to see if the Spurs will need to blow it up, partially blow it up or just try to snag another quality role player after re-upping the main crew.

Blackjack
11-22-2008, 02:04 AM
Ime, Thomas, and a 2nd for Batum and Diogu

I think that would be a very nice trade for the Spurs....i dont think Portland would care for this trade though.....

I actually don't think that would be so far-fetched, if not for the discrepancy in salaries.

I don't pretend to know exactly how all the business side of basketball works, but IIRC Ime and Kurt make somewhere around 8-9 million combined, while Diogu and Batum are on rookie-scale contracts, which doesn't sound like it would be too feasible.

Biggems
11-22-2008, 02:17 AM
If we are able to trade Udoka and Thomas for Batum and Diogu this season that gives us those two for the remainder of this year.....

G - Michael Finley
G - Blake Ahearn
F - James Gist
F/C - Chris Wilcox
2009 Roster
PG - Parker, Hill, Ahearn
SG - Manu, Mason, Finley
SF - Batum, Bowen, Gist
PF - Duncan, Diogu, Tolliver
C - Mahimni, Wilcox, Bonner

G - Manu Ginobili
G - Roger Mason
F - Udonis Haslem
F/C - Amare Stoudamire
2010 Roster
PG - Parker, Hill, ?
SG - Ginobili, Mason, Hairston
SF - Batum, Gist, Tolliver
PF - Duncan, Haslem, ?
C - Stoudamire, Mahimni, Wilcox

Now of course, this most likely won't happen. This scenario would be rather pricy, and we know the Spurs have to be penny pinchers to survive. It is too bad....cause the 2009 lineup looks quite solid and the 2010 lineup looks very impressive on paper.

Biggems
11-22-2008, 02:18 AM
I actually don't think that would be so far-fetched, if not for the discrepancy in salaries.

I don't pretend to know exactly how all the business side of basketball works, but IIRC Ime and Kurt make somewhere around 8-9 million combined, while Diogu and Batum are on rookie-scale contracts, which doesn't sound like it would be too feasible.

Are you sure? I thought Ime and Thomas combined were like 4-5 million.

AlamoSpursFan
11-22-2008, 02:20 AM
G - Steve Ahearn

Blake's brother?

Biggems
11-22-2008, 02:25 AM
SA
Thomas 4.2 mill
Udoka 1.08 mill
Oberto 3.6 mill
Vaughn 1.26 mill

Portland
Diogu 2.91 mill
Batum 1.04 mill
Frye 3.16 mill

Udoka and Oberto 4.68 mill for Batum and Frye 4.20 mill

Biggems
11-22-2008, 02:26 AM
Blake's brother?

blake, my bad....sorry i am half asleep over here....and i actually call him acorn....

Blackjack
11-22-2008, 02:29 AM
Are you sure? I thought Ime and Thomas combined were like 4-5 million.

IIRC, Ime makes 3 million a year and Thomas signed for somewhere around 5 million a year.

Biggems
11-22-2008, 02:32 AM
according to ESPN and Hoops Hype, Ime is only getting 1.08 million this year.

Thomas82
11-22-2008, 09:10 AM
Not to rain on the parade but the way Mason is playing, some of that expected free agency money will have to be used to keep him. Same for Mahinmi if he pans out.

Far too early to see if the Spurs will need to blow it up, partially blow it up or just try to snag another quality role player after re-upping the main crew.

I have read several times over the past couple of years that the Spurs planned on signing another superstar when Tim Duncan's career was close to the end.

Harry Callahan
11-22-2008, 09:16 AM

By 2010, Aldridge will be unrestricted, because I think he would be going into his 5th season.

Portland can offer him as much money as they want, given that Paul Allen owns them, but who knows if the UT-ex wants to get a lot closer to home. Portland is really at the end of the earth.

LA is a really good player and is very young.

ducks
11-22-2008, 09:17 AM
only if they are planning on playing with a 3 man roster. there won't be enough cap room for 2 new max deals once they've filled out their roster. hell, if you offered them JUST james in 2010, they'd take that and run with it and never look back.

they would be under cap by 27 million

exstatic
11-22-2008, 09:42 AM
By 2010, Aldridge will be unrestricted, because I think he would be going into his 5th season.

Portland can offer him as much money as they want, given that Paul Allen owns them, but who knows if the UT-ex wants to get a lot closer to home. Portland is really at the end of the earth.

LA is a really good player and is very young.
He could be a FA in 2010 without an extension being signed between now and then, but the drafting team can ALWAYS make a qualifying offer to restrict him after years 3 and 4. Only after year 5 is any drafted player unrestricted, unless the drafting team fails to make, or rescinds a QO at some point. Ben Gordon is living this now. Chicago was stupid. They should have gotten something for him. Instead, he walks next summer. There is no way a deal gets done. He had real hard feelings towards the Bulls for them making him play on not just one, but two one year contracts.

K-State Spur
11-22-2008, 10:24 AM
they would be under cap by 27 million

actually, they are projected to be $40 million under the cap (by this year's numbers) - but that's with only 2 players signed for 2010.

Unless they are prepared to surround those 2 free agents with nothing but undrafted free agents and veteran minimums (which i'm sure would be VERY enticing to both players) - there won't be anywhere near $40 (or even 27) million left.

They'll likely be somewhere around $20 million under and have room for one (King James).

SenorSpur
11-22-2008, 10:27 AM
I have read several times over the past couple of years that the Spurs planned on signing another superstar when Tim Duncan's career was close to the end.

Good luck with that. With the reluctance that most free agents have shown in wanting to come to SA in the past, the Spurs would be better off drafting and developing their next superstar - whoever that might be. Nice idea, but I don't see it happening.

Especially when you consider the number vast number of teams in the market vying for a limited number of players. Also by then, Duncan will be 34 years old. Ginobili 33 years old. Knowing Pop, the Spurs will likely STILL be the "oldest team in the league", saddled again with a roster of untradeable veterans that nobody will want.

K-State Spur
11-22-2008, 11:58 AM
With the reluctance that most free agents have shown in wanting to come to SA in the past

Why does it always get labeled as free agents don't want to come to San Antonio?

In this era - elite free agents don't change teams PERIOD. A guy like Rashard Lewis is a nice player, but he's still overpaid and no better than a third option on a quality team.

Since the CBA under-went a drastic shift after the '98 season - the Lakers haven't signed anyone of note in free agency (Payton & Malone were well past their primes), the Knicks haven't lured anyone that was truly special (although they've paid a few guys like they were), and neither have the Bulls, Celtics, or Heat.

About the only time that a bona-fide all-star (without major injury issues) has left via free agency in the past decade was when Nash went to Phoenix. And let's face it - NOBODY saw him as a potential 2-time MVP winner when he made that move.

The one thing that might make 2010 different is the sheer volume of upper echelon players that will be free agents compared to the past. And even then - MOST of these names are going to end up staying put with their current teams.

IMHO, the most likely scenario is that this cap room will be used to take on some contracts from other teams who are looking to clear space for their futures.

Spurtacus
11-22-2008, 03:38 PM
If Mahinmi doesn't work out, I would elect for Bosh or Aldridge. If Mahinmi turns into a stud, we need to go after a SF. What SF's are out there in 2010?

AFBlue
11-22-2008, 03:41 PM
If Mahinmi doesn't work out, I would elect for Bosh or Aldridge. If Mahinmi turns into a stud, we need to go after a SF. What SF's are out there in 2010?

Rudy Gay will be restricted if he doesn't sign an extension beforehand, and it's looking more and more like OJ Mayo's team in the future.

tomtom
11-22-2008, 06:39 PM

Uh I think Richard Jefferson and Caron Butler are but doubt either would come

galvatron3000
11-26-2008, 12:36 PM

Moon will be available next summer along with Rasheed Wallace, Ime contracts is up this summer if I'm not mistaken. Roger's contract is up in 2010, right?

TDMVPDPOY
11-26-2008, 06:42 PM
how about alfefferson or omeka? these 2 players are fukn under utilized on there current teams for some odd reason....