PDA

View Full Version : CO2 Global Warming

Wild Cobra
11-21-2008, 10:39 PM
I’ve been working on something I will finish in a day or so and post. It has to do with CO2 warming. If you check wiki on Greenhouse Gasses (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenhouse_gasses), they have CO2 being responsible for 9% to 26% of the greenhouse effect. The greenhouse effect is stated to be, depending on source, by either 32C or 33C. Sources agree the Earth would be -18C (-0.4 F, 31.6 below freezing) with no greenhouse gasses. They vary also on the average temperature. It is still a small range of 14C or 15C (57.2F to 59F.)

Before I post my data, I would like to ask people to tell me just how much CO2 has increased the Earths average temperature. The data points I am using is from pre industrial earth to recent time. I’m using 280ppm of CO2 to 380ppm. I will humor any reasonable ranges, say +/- 20 of the above levels. Scientists are now saying the greenhouse effect has increased by various figures too. Generally, its about 0.6C to 0.8 C (1.08F to 1.44F.) Here too, I will humor any acceptable numbers.

I have not yet decided where I believe the effects of CO2 to be. Only that they are far lower than the Alarmists claim. I tend to believe they have no more than a 0.2C (0.36F) effect. I am trying to solidify my belief, and in the process, expose what other peoples numbers really mean.

Be back on this topic in a day or so.

Wild Cobra
12-02-2008, 09:56 AM
Isn't anyone brave enough to play my game?

I would really like some predictions before I take this farther.

DarrinS
12-02-2008, 11:11 AM
Isn't anyone brave enough to play my game?

I would really like some predictions before I take this farther.

I think the climate will change daily and that even the flap of a single butterfly's wings will contribute to it, even if only slightly.

Wild Cobra
12-02-2008, 02:45 PM
I think the climate will change daily and that even the flap of a single butterfly's wings will contribute to it, even if only slightly.
These liberals here are so certain of antropogenic warming, yet they have no facts. Only dogma. Their silence is deafening, isn't it?

xrayzebra
12-02-2008, 04:05 PM

What kind of butterfly are we talking about here?

boutons_
12-02-2008, 06:39 PM
"they have no facts"

Yes, 1000s and 1000s of scientists have no facts, from Hansen on down, but WC has his ideological cherry-picking science that overwhelms them all.

DarrinS
12-03-2008, 08:37 AM
"they have no facts"

Yes, 1000s and 1000s of scientists have no facts, from Hansen on down, but WC has his ideological cherry-picking science that overwhelms them all.

Do you know that it is impossible to predict what will happen in the future? All you can do is create computer models and see if your predictions come to fruition. So far, a lot of IPCC model predictions have been wrong. We're currently in a very long period of negligible solar activity, global temperatures have all but flatlined in the last decade, and polar ice is growing very rapidly.

byrontx
12-03-2008, 08:48 AM
I i you are looking for data, mine Science News. Just a quick glance that doesn't directly address temperture but does reference historical CO2 levels:

http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/32122/title/Climate_clues_in_ice

Even if scientists never find ice more than 800,000 years old, the new findings confirm that Earth’s atmosphere today is unusual, Brook says. “Modern levels of greenhouse gases have no natural analogue in the ice record,” he notes.

DarrinS
12-03-2008, 09:09 AM
By the way, this is a must read for anyone who believes in "consensus" science.

http://scienceandpublicpolicy.org/images/stories/papers/originals/mclean/mclean_IPCC_review_final_9-5-07.pdf

Wild Cobra
12-05-2008, 02:57 PM
By the way, this is a must read for anyone who believes in "consensus" science.

http://scienceandpublicpolicy.org/images/stories/papers/originals/mclean/mclean_IPCC_review_final_9-5-07.pdf
Isn't it just simpler to remind people the scientific consensus was that the Earth was flat?

When did it become round I wonder, if consensus is correct, what turned the earth from flat to round?

Yonivore
12-05-2008, 03:16 PM
2008 is on track to be the coldest year of the Century...

seba5618
12-05-2008, 03:44 PM
Isn't it just simpler to remind people the scientific consensus was that the Earth was flat?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myth_of_the_Flat_Earth

...I really don't think so...
http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/research/2008/oct/oct08.html

Yonivore
12-05-2008, 04:00 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myth_of_the_Flat_Earth
Your link only moves the consensus back a couple of hundred years or so, it doesn't say it never existed or wasn't a commonly held belief.

...I really don't think so...
http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/research/2008/oct/oct08.html
Hey, argue with the Brits.

2008 will be coolest year of the decade (http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2008/dec/05/climate-change-weather)

DarrinS
12-05-2008, 04:17 PM

When did it become round I wonder, if consensus is correct, what turned the earth from flat to round?

Philip Scott -- Global Warming is Not a Crisis (debate)

KtPDuZzfzhw

doobs
12-05-2008, 04:19 PM
Random thought: I remember seeing that famous graph with the CO2 levels and the temperature changes in "An Inconvenient Truth." If you look closely at the graph, it actuallys appears that changes in CO2 levels lag behind and follow the corresponding changes in temperature, and not the other way around. Maybe it was a bad graph, but it made me laugh when I was watching that movie. I'm no scientist, but neither is Al Gore.

DarrinS
12-05-2008, 04:36 PM
Random thought: I remember seeing that famous graph with the CO2 levels and the temperature changes in "An Inconvenient Truth." If you look closely at the graph, it actuallys appears that changes in CO2 levels lag behind and follow the corresponding changes in temperature, and not the other way around. Maybe it was a bad graph, but it made me laugh when I was watching that movie. I'm no scientist, but neither is Al Gore.

There's actually something very jacked up with that graph.

Look at this little peak that is pointing toward Gore's mouth. This is data plotted vs. time. There shouldn't be any point on the line that moves backward in time like that.

http://www.geocities.com/stevenedw/al_gore_graph.jpg

Yonivore
12-05-2008, 04:48 PM
I'll start believing global warming is a crisis when those who say global warming is a crisis start acting like global warming is a crisis.

seba5618
12-05-2008, 05:05 PM
Hey, argue with the Brits.

2008 will be coolest year of the decade

Alas!, coolest year of the 21st century...all rigth then :)

Yonivore
12-05-2008, 05:19 PM
Alas!, coolest year of the 21st century...all rigth then :)

Isn't that what I said?

And, aren't we supposed to be warming?

seba5618
12-05-2008, 05:37 PM
Isn't that what I said?

And, aren't we supposed to be warming?

Yes you did, I (wrongly) took "century" as the last 100 years when it is actually only the last 8.

Yes we are warming, but that doesn't mean that every year has to beat the previous year record. Here is where we stand:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/bb/Instrumental_Temperature_Record.svg/600px-Instrumental_Temperature_Record.svg.png

temujin
12-05-2008, 06:02 PM

Smart.

So what's your hard argument that it isn't flat?

Rogue
12-05-2008, 07:48 PM
Most foreingers are blaming us for this problem. Our SUVs and cars have long been giving off tons of co2 into the atmosphere so it's rational that they blame us. I'm not sure if their blamings are alittle bit jealous of our wealth, but the fact of the matter is that we are really contributing the most part of the air pollution and the co2 our SUVs generate are really damaging the world. However, we don't need to be the scopegoat in the near future because we'll not able to afford another SUV whose prize will be sky high. With GM collapsing, our auto industry is gonna face a huge challenge and the very chance is that it'll entirely collapes. Even GM is not able to survive, how the hell should the smaller ones come through the finacial crisis? The only hope for them is the goverment's rescue package. So please, Mr Bush and Mr president-elect, do something as soon as possible. for the nation's sake, or even for the sake of God.
:nutkick: Bush: please don't hit my balls, dear barack, it's time for both of us to stand on the same side.
Obama: I agree, dear George.W. I won't reject the rescue package that is specialic for the auto industry. We are not enermies but friends.:donkey:elephant

Yonivore
12-06-2008, 10:31 AM
Yes you did, I (wrongly) took "century" as the last 100 years when it is actually only the last 8.

Yes we are warming, but that doesn't mean that every year has to beat the previous year record. Here is where we stand:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/bb/Instrumental_Temperature_Record.svg/600px-Instrumental_Temperature_Record.svg.png

My graph can beat up your graph!

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/temperature/65Myr.png

So, my source says temps have been dropping for 15 million years...

Your graph can be explained by variances caused in the solar cycle.

Also, data shows CO2 levels follow temperature. Thus the whole cruxt of global warmers argument is undermined to the point they had to make up a new theory about how something jumpstarts something or other.

Yonivore
12-06-2008, 10:43 AM
Answer me this seba. What is the ideal temperature for this planet? Why?

And, one other thing. How do you propose we control the non-anthropogenic sources of greenhouse gases? They completely eclipse anthropogenic sources...completely.

Anthropogenic Global Climate Change is man's arrogance at it's finest.

Wild Cobra
12-06-2008, 05:43 PM
Smart.

So what's your hard argument that it isn't flat?

My point is that scientific consensus is not fact.

Just that simple.

seba5618
12-06-2008, 06:44 PM
So, my source says temps have been dropping for 15 million years...

Climate changes have a reason, a forcing that cause it that can be the sun, volcanoes, greenhouse gases, changes in ocean circulation and in larger time scales the moving of continents. Except for the increase in greenhouse gases, nothing can explain this recent warming.

Your graph can be explained by variances caused in the solar cycle.

Actually it can't. I won't deny there was a correlation in sunspots number (just a correlation) that ended in the 70's and that's it. Still there is one major element we have that show us that the sun isn't responsible for this and that is that the upper most part of the atmosphere is cooling, if the sun were to blame it will heat up all of Earth while an increase in greenhouse effect will mean less energy to the upper most part of the atmosphere and cool it.

Also, data shows CO2 levels follow temperature. Thus the whole cruxt of global warmers argument is undermined to the point they had to make up a new theory about how something jumpstarts something or other.

Actually data shows that during glacial terminations something caused temperatures to rise, warmer the oceans which released CO2 which also had a warming effect on climate.

CO2 increases cause an increase in temperatures but increases in temperatures are caused by other things besides increases in CO2...and that's what data shows.

Answer me this seba. What is the ideal temperature for this planet? Why?

In terms of what is best for life...no sudden changes.

And, one other thing. How do you propose we control the non-anthropogenic sources of greenhouse gases? They completely eclipse anthropogenic sources...completely.

Don't propose to control them, only our sources.

Natural sources and natural sinks have been on equilibrium, it is our emissions that broke that equilibrium and therefore greenhouse gases concentration have been increasing.

Yonivore
12-06-2008, 07:56 PM
Climate changes have a reason, a forcing that cause it that can be the sun, volcanoes, greenhouse gases, changes in ocean circulation and in larger time scales the moving of continents. Except for the increase in greenhouse gases, nothing can explain this recent warming.
Says who? Mars is experiencing much the same phenomenon...is it SUV's there too?

Something can explain it. It's called the Sun.

Actually it can't. I won't deny there was a correlation in sunspots number (just a correlation) that ended in the 70's and that's it. Still there is one major element we have that show us that the sun isn't responsible for this and that is that the upper most part of the atmosphere is cooling, if the sun were to blame it will heat up all of Earth while an increase in greenhouse effect will mean less energy to the upper most part of the atmosphere and cool it.
Actually, it can.

Actually data shows that during glacial terminations something caused temperatures to rise, warmer the oceans which released CO2 which also had a warming effect on climate.

CO2 increases cause an increase in temperatures but increases in temperatures are caused by other things besides increases in CO2...and that's what data shows.
That's that whole "jumpstart" thing I was talking about, right?

So, what happened to the apocalyptic global cooling that was predicted in the 70's? These are the same alarmists that promised us glaciers in Missouri by 2000. Aren't they? And, where the fuck were all the Cat 5 Hurricanes I was promised?

Well, nothing seems to be happening suddenly.

Again, what is the ideal temperature for this planet? What's wrong with growing seasons in Greenland?

Natural sources and natural sinks have been on equilibrium, it is our emissions that broke that equilibrium and therefore greenhouse gases concentration have been increasing.
That's bullshit. Volcanic activity alone varies dramatically from millenium to millenium. There's no equilibrium there. The planet adapts and responds.

So, if things are so dire why is Al Gore's Carbon Footprint the size of Belgium?

seba5618
12-06-2008, 09:05 PM
Says who? Mars is experiencing much the same phenomenon...is it SUV's there too?

Something can explain it. It's called the Sun.
Actually, it can.

Allright, here's Nasa bit about sun activity:

Scientists are still debating whether or not the Sun’s activity increased during the latter half of the 20th century, but even the highest estimates of activity can’t account for the warming observed since about 1950. Studies do show that solar variability has significantly influenced past climate changes. For example, a decrease in solar activity is thought to have triggered the Northern Hemisphere’s Little Ice Age between approximately 1650 and 1850, when temperatures dipped low enough that rivers that don’t freeze in today’s human-warmed climate froze over.
http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Features/GlobalWarmingQandA/#03

So, what happened to the apocalyptic global cooling that was predicted in the 70's? These are the same alarmists that promised us glaciers in Missouri by 2000. Aren't they? And, where the fuck were all the Cat 5 Hurricanes I was promised?

Don't know who was predicting apolalyptic global cooling on the 70's, surely not the national academy of sciences as their official stand on the matter was that more study was necesary.

The climates of the earth have always been changing, and they will doubtless continue to do so in the future. How large these future changes will be, and where and how rapidly they will occur, we do not know..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_cooling#1970s_Awareness

Well, nothing seems to be happening suddenly.

It is, you just posted a graph of temperatures changes in tha past 65 millon of years...that's the normal scale of large temperatures changes and not just 100 years like now

That's bullshit. Volcanic activity alone varies dramatically from millenium to millenium. There's no equilibrium there. The planet adapts and responds.

We are dumping over 130 times more CO2 than volcanos.
http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/hazards/gas/index.php

Again, what is the ideal temperature for this planet? What's wrong with growing seasons in Greenland?

Oh nothing wrong, the idea is thrilling. The only thing I want is for human to take the credit of the change and not just nature ;)

Wild Cobra
12-06-2008, 09:18 PM
Climate changes have a reason, a forcing that cause it that can be the sun, volcanoes, greenhouse gases, changes in ocean circulation and in larger time scales the moving of continents.
This is true. It’s a very complicated set of circumstances.

Except for the increase in greenhouse gases, nothing can explain this recent warming.

False. Besides, what do you consider recent?

There is too much evidence that clearly shows the sun and soot have a larger effect than previously presumed.

Tell me. Go to post #1, and answer me the question, and I’ll tell you why it probably cannot be true.

Actually it can't. I won't deny there was a correlation in sunspots number (just a correlation) that ended in the 70's and that's it.

Still there is one major element we have that show us that the sun isn't responsible for this and that is that the upper most part of the atmosphere is cooling, if the sun were to blame it will heat up all of Earth while an increase in greenhouse effect will mean less energy to the upper most part of the atmosphere and cool it.

That is not true because of the atmospheric gasses and wavelengths involved. The molecules absorb infrared more readily than the higher frequency wavelengths of the sun. Lean a bit about wave theory and absorption before you repeat such nonsense.

There is no doubt some added increase by the release of CO2, but it is small. The change from about 180 ppm to 280 ppm actually has a rather small effect. About 0.9C if we assume the greenhouse effect is 12% by CO2 and causes 0.6C of the change from 280 ppm to 380 ppm.

The sun is the driving force of about 200K and the Earths core. About 55K is due to the magma. Only about 32K is due to greenhouse gasses. If 12% of the greenhouse effect is by CO2, then that amounts to about 3.8 C. If we place that figure at 280 ppm with an estimated 0.6C warming by CO2 to 380 ppm, then another 0.6C takes place at about 510 ppm. Thing is, we are learning that CO2 is not causing a 0.6C change. There is a known change of solar radiation barely over 0.1% from between 1900 to 1950. That alone amounts to a 0.2C increase before the amplification of greenhouse gas forcing. Soot at the polar caps are now estimated to have a larger effect than previously thought. Probably at least another 0.2C. Some scientists are now estimating that CO2 only contributes to 5% of the greenhouse gas forcing from 280 ppm to 380 ppm. That means it caused about a 0.03C increase and about a 0.16 during deglaciation, if we keep the 12% figure for CO2 roll vs. H2O and other gasses.

So just how do we control nature?

We have controlled our sources. Other nations haven’t. We use clean burning technologies, and CO2 is not the problem people like to believe. It is soot and other atmospheric pollutants.

Talk to China, Mexico, India, etc.

Not quite true. The equilibriums take a few hundred years of a steady state to occur. Much of the warming we have seen these last few years ago could easily be the stored energy in the oceans from the solar increases that started about 1900.

Wild Cobra
12-06-2008, 09:30 PM
Allright, here's Nasa bit about sun activity:

Scientists are still debating whether or not the Sun’s activity increased during the latter half of the 20th century, but even the highest estimates of activity can’t account for the warming observed since about 1950. Studies do show that solar variability has significantly influenced past climate changes. For example, a decrease in solar activity is thought to have triggered the Northern Hemisphere’s Little Ice Age between approximately 1650 and 1850, when temperatures dipped low enough that rivers that don’t freeze in today’s human-warmed climate froze over.
http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Fea...rmingQandA/#03

Nobody to my knowledge was claiming any significant increase after 1950 by the sun, at least directly. Like I pointed out in my previous posting, the oceans store the energy and release it slowly. I don't claim to know what the temperature delay is of the oceans, but the short term measurable lag of solar radiation is about 7.5 years for atmospheric temperature changes. Probably due to the surface waters rather than the deeper parts of the ocean.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x262/Wild_Cobra/Global Warming/GISSSolarData.jpg

Doesn't that look like a rough sine wave?

Maybe in the next 50 years, we will be cooling!

seba5618
12-06-2008, 11:54 PM
That is not true because of the atmospheric gasses and wavelengths involved. The molecules absorb infrared more readily than the higher frequency wavelengths of the sun. Lean a bit about wave theory and absorption before you repeat such nonsense.

Well then, aren't we cocky :) . Just because of curiosity, ¿more sun radiation means a cooler Stratosphere?, ¿or an enhanced greenhouse effect supposed to heat up the stroposphere as well?.

The sun is the driving force of about 200K and the Earths core. About 55K is due to the magma. Only about 32K is due to greenhouse gasses. If 12% of the greenhouse effect is by CO2, then that amounts to about 3.8 C. If we place that figure at 280 ppm with an estimated 0.6C warming by CO2 to 380 ppm, then another 0.6C takes place at about 510 ppm. Thing is, we are learning that CO2 is not causing a 0.6C change. There is a known change of solar radiation barely over 0.1% from between 1900 to 1950. That alone amounts to a 0.2C increase before the amplification of greenhouse gas forcing. Soot at the polar caps are now estimated to have a larger effect than previously thought. Probably at least another 0.2C. Some scientists are now estimating that CO2 only contributes to 5% of the greenhouse gas forcing from 280 ppm to 380 ppm. That means it caused about a 0.03C increase and about a 0.16 during deglaciation, if we keep the 12% figure for CO2 roll vs. H2O and other gasses.

You are taking forcing factors without considering cooling trends nor feedback. CO2 contribution to the greenhouse effect is not 12%, is around 9–26% depending if it is alone or not. It is not possible to state that a certain gas causes a certain percentage of the greenhouse effect, because the influences of the various gases are not additive. Now the real danger about CO2 is not so much about its forcing alone, but the fact that it is a forcing gas that remains on the atmosphere that causes feedback gases to increase. So a doubling of CO2 warms the earth 1C, but considering the feedback (water vapor and loss of albedo) a doubling of CO2 ends up warming it 3Cº.

Take a look at this link
http://www.realclimate.org/index.php?p=142

We have controlled our sources. Other nations haven’t. We use clean burning technologies, and CO2 is not the problem people like to believe. It is soot and other atmospheric pollutants.
Talk to China, Mexico, India, etc.

CO2 is expecting to keep accumulating on the atmosphera, soot isn't. A molecule of CO2 emitted on the beggining of the industrial revolution could very well still be on the atmosphera, but not soot.

Still I praise your country and the EU for the developing of cleaner technologies that I should hope to be easlily transfer to China,etc. Now what I expect from the US is leadership, I can't ask China or India that because they lack the power to set rules to the international comunity.

Nobody to my knowledge was claiming any significant increase after 1950 by the sun, at least directly. Like I pointed out in my previous posting, the oceans store the energy and release it slowly. I don't claim to know what the temperature delay is of the oceans, but the short term measurable lag of solar radiation is about 7.5 years for atmospheric temperature changes. Probably due to the surface waters rather than the deeper parts of the ocean.

Since the 1980 the warming is quite notorious, since we agree the sun has been radiating around the same amount of energy since 1950 then you must claim quite a long lag between increased sun activity and its effect on temperatures.

Wild Cobra
12-07-2008, 12:06 PM
Well then, aren't we cocky :) . Just because of curiosity, ¿more sun radiation means a cooler Stratosphere?, ¿or an enhanced greenhouse effect supposed to heat up the stroposphere as well?.

To my knowledge, the stratosphere has stayed pretty much the same. I haven’t seen data for a while on that layer. There are competing hypnosis’s on the subject. For cooling, one is that since the higher CO2 levels absorb more of the IR closer to the surface than before, there is less to be converted to heat in the upper atmosphere.

You are taking forcing factors without considering cooling trends nor feedback.
You are forgetting that forcing feedback applies to all factors, and solar more so because it is completely linear rather than sharing spectral areas with water. Forget feedback for a moment, consider it a constant that applies to all changes.

CO2 contribution to the greenhouse effect is not 12%, is around 9–26% depending if it is alone or not.

I’d like to see specifics on that. To my knowledge, there is always enough water present to pretty much block all transmissions of the IR at the spectral bands in affects. Only a very small amount has variance.

My take on it is that it depends on the starting temperature. The Earth for example in the Arctic or Antarctic at say -10 C or less has a blackbody temperature of about 263 K or less. Then at the Equator, the blackbody temperature could be about 310 K or more over land, and 300 K or more over the ocean. The spectra and intensity of IR is different as the temperature changes. There is band that CO2 absorbs that is almost nonexistent at higher temperatures

I already have some plots saved. They are at 200 K, 280 K, and 340 K. They do not represent the correct temperatures, but you can see that not only the total IR radiation to be trapped increased with temperature, but the wavelength number decreases at the peak. This absolutely changes the percentages that a particular gas has on the system. At 200 K, the peak is at about 1.3 watts. It increases to about 8 watts at 280 K and then almost 18 watts at 340K. Significant differences. Our 263K, 300K, and 310K are approximately 6.2 watts, 10.8 watts, and 12.2 watts. Makes some rather radical changes in the percentages by region, rather than by water percentage.

I believe that is the primary reason the greenhouse effect changes from 9% to 26% for CO2. However, those numbers are also generated by man made models that assume CO2 is the primary driver. There are no acceptable scientific facts that supports this beyond a hypothesis. It is speculation based on observation, ignoring the effects of the sun and soot. All these predictions by the alarmists are self fulfilling prophesies. ga and propaganda in reality, because the model is made on limited assumptions.

Here are the charts:

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x262/Wild_Cobra/science/spectralcalc/blackbody200k.png

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x262/Wild_Cobra/science/spectralcalc/blackbody280k.png

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x262/Wild_Cobra/science/spectralcalc/blackbody340k.png

It is not possible to state that a certain gas causes a certain percentage of the greenhouse effect, because the influences of the various gases are not additive.
I am fully aware of that. In fact, H2O effectively absorbs nearly all of the overlaps with CO2. If you study the available charts, it is plain as day that as long as H2O is present, changes in CO2 have no effect for the same spectra. There is one independent band of CO2, which is already at close to 100% absorption. I think it covers about 10

Now the real danger about CO2 is not so much about its forcing alone, but the fact that it is a forcing gas that remains on the atmosphere that causes feedback gases to increase. So a doubling of CO2 warms the earth 1C, but considering the feedback (water vapor and loss of albedo) a doubling of CO2 ends up warming it 3Cº.

Not true. The 0.6 approximate we see has the feedbacks included. You don’t say that based on the trend and see another 1 C coming that already has feedbacks factored in, then add the feedbacks again.

Please… Thing a bit about that.

Take a look at this link
http://www.realclimate.org/index.php?p=142

Be careful trusting anything from that site. They are an agenda driven site, and will brilliantly baffle you with bullshit. I have taken the time to show a few of their pages nonsense in the past.

CO2 is expecting to keep accumulating on the atmosphera, soot isn't. A molecule of CO2 emitted on the beggining of the industrial revolution could very well still be on the atmosphera, but not soot.

But the soot sits on top of the ice, until it completely melts away. It is absorbing an additional 800% of the solar radiation rather than reflecting it harmlessly back out to space. Then when additional water is uncovered, the water heats up more than normal, heating up areas that were once completely dark. It takes time for that heat to be realized. I think it’s several decades, but I’m not sure.

Since the 1980 the warming is quite notorious, since we agree the sun has been radiating around the same amount of energy since 1950 then you must claim quite a long lag between increased sun activity and its effect on temperatures.

This goes back to the stored heat in the oceans from collecting the heat over time. Someplace I have the same data I used for the solar cycle graph. I used I think a 60 year rolling average. That takes the rising trend into now, and then some.

I forget where it at, but someone made a rather good article in the past about an energy imbalance, saying that we have stored ocean heat to increase by I think another 1 C. Lags truly exist in nature.

Wild Cobra
02-05-2009, 11:41 AM
Bump

Winehole23
02-05-2009, 11:53 AM
Profe, your discretion is brutal.

With your leave, I'd like to dismiss myself.

WH23