PDA

View Full Version : Will Hill have a better Rookie season than Parker did?

DROB4EVER
11-21-2008, 10:57 PM
TP as a rookie played 30mpg shot 41% from the floor 32% from 3pt range and had just over 4apg. Do you guys think Hill will have a better rookie year numbers wise?:flag:

angelbelow
11-21-2008, 10:59 PM
he wont have the minutes, thats forsure. but his PER has great potential to be better.

ducks
11-21-2008, 11:01 PM
the better question is would hill be better then pargo was for the hornets last year

ps the hornets are scoring 8 points less a game this year so far
a big reason pargo

SequSpur
:rolleyes

Brazil
TP as a rookie played 30mpg shot 41% from the floor 32% from 3pt range and had just over 4apg. Do you guys think Hill will have a better rookie year numbers wise?:flag:

It's only 9 games but the kid is trully impressive, I didn't expect that.

mVp
11-21-2008, 11:05 PM
He looks promising... let's just relax and enjoy his game :smokin

mystargtr34
11-21-2008, 11:06 PM
Hill wont get the minutes, but if he did - possibly, but probably not.

Parker had a pretty special rookie year given he was a teenage PG.

baseline bum
11-21-2008, 11:07 PM
No shot in hell. Hill has nothing approaching Parker's talent.

SequSpur
11-21-2008, 11:08 PM

exactly.

timvp
11-21-2008, 11:09 PM
As others have said, the minutes won't be there. Plus Parker was just a freak of nature. He was 19 and able to stay with any point right off the bat.

Hill isn't nearly as special but he's pretty damn good. The first 10 minutes of playing time for him tonight was phenomenal. Hill was like Isiah Thomas reincarnate.

But as we've seen, he's going to play well some games and lay eggs other games. It's not going to be a smooth ride.

ducks
11-21-2008, 11:10 PM
all I want is what pargo did for the hornets last year

timvp
11-21-2008, 11:11 PM
all I want is what pargo did for the hornets last year

Hill > Pargo ... already. Pargo is a chucker with the lowest true shooting percentage in the NBA. He also can't play defense and can't pass. He's a good scorer and has range but the Spurs caught a break with Pargo going to Russia.

DROB4EVER
11-21-2008, 11:11 PM

Parker was not all that talented comming in. Remember he was the 6th pg taken that year, and he couldnt shoot, was not an assit guy and was turnover prone. He was also a very poor defender and got overpowered by everyone.

Hill is a pro defender already, a better assist guy, looks to be a better seals guy and has a better shooting form.

He is no where near as quick as TP, but I think Hill if he works as hard as TP could be special.

anakha
11-21-2008, 11:12 PM

I'm not saying Hill is more talented, but two of the most noticeable advantages Parker has - finishing at the rim and shooting - are not necessarily due to talent alone. Those can be corrected with the right skill adjustments and coaching.

DROB4EVER
11-21-2008, 11:13 PM
I'm not saying Hill is more talented, but two of the most noticeable advantages Parker has - finishing at the rim and shooting - are not necessarily due to talent alone. Those can be corrected with the right skill adjustments and coaching.

Right and remember Parker could not shoot a lick till they got him a shooting coach! Even now he is a poor 3pt shooter.

Brazil
11-21-2008, 11:15 PM
come on let Hill be a very good back up PG and for the rest time will tell

timvp
Spurs fans need to settle down with the Hill to Parker comparisons. Parker has a chance to make the Hall of Fame before it's all said and done. Hill still has to prove he's better than Jacque Vaughn.

Instead of shooting for the stars, let's hope Hill can retain the backup job once Parker comes back. Parker's stats his rookie season weren't spectacular but the smart Spurs fan saw the potential in him. Hill, despite being three years older than Parker was as a rookie, is more raw than Parker was and his ceiling isn't as high. But that doesn't mean he can't be damn good.

But let's stay realistic here.

anakha
Right and remember Parker could not shoot a lick till they got him a shooting coach! Even now he is a poor 3pt shooter.

Wrong. Parker's 3FG is at 60%. He just doesn't take a lot of threes.

SequSpur
11-21-2008, 11:16 PM
Spurs fans need to settle down with the Hill to Parker comparisons. Parker has a chance to make the Hall of Fame before it's all said and done. Hill still has to prove he's better than Jacque Vaughn.

Instead of shooting for the stars, let's hope Hill can retain the backup job once Parker comes back. Parker's stats his rookie season weren't spectacular but the smart Spurs fan saw the potential in him. Hill, despite being three years older than Parker was as a rookie, is more raw than Parker was and his ceiling isn't as high. But that doesn't mean he can't be damn good.

ummm.. Hill did more tonight in 5 minutes than Vaughn has done in his whole career.

It must've been all that mentoring.. :spin

DROB4EVER
11-21-2008, 11:18 PM

Look at his career %. He doesnt take alot because he is a poor shooter outside 20ft and he needs to be on the move to shot....he is not a spot up shooter.

DROB4EVER
11-21-2008, 11:19 PM
Anyone notice Hill avg 15ppg at home and 3ppg on the road.

spursfan09
or Maybe Hill has something Parker didn't.

A reliable veteran point guard who has won championships and final's MVP to mentor him.

I'm just sayin....

Dingle Barry
Hill still has to prove he's better than Jacque Vaughn.

:lol
No.

T Park
11-21-2008, 11:21 PM
As others have said, the minutes won't be there. Plus Parker was just a freak of nature. He was 19 and able to stay with any point right off the bat.

Hill isn't nearly as special but he's pretty damn good. The first 10 minutes of playing time for him tonight was phenomenal. Hill was like Isiah Thomas reincarnate.

But as we've seen, he's going to play well some games and lay eggs other games. It's not going to be a smooth ride.

He will be a normal rookie.

I believe Parker did the same thing.

T Park
11-21-2008, 11:22 PM

I disagree his cieling isn't as high.

ducks
11-21-2008, 11:23 PM
Anyone notice Hill avg 15ppg at home and 3ppg on the road.

most young players play much better at home

anakha
Look at his career %. He doesnt take alot because he is a poor shooter outside 20ft and he needs to be on the move to shot....he is not a spot up shooter.

I was responding to your mistake by pointing out his 3FG this season. Don't try to backpedal out of it now. :lol

timvp
:lol
No.He has to prove it to Pop, no SpursTalk. When the games get more important, Hill is going to have to prove he can run the show better than Vaughn. If not, Pop won't hesitate to put Vaughn out there.

I disagree his cieling isn't as high.So Hill has Hall of Fame potential now?

ducks
11-21-2008, 11:24 PM
hill has not proven anything after the allstar game and in playoffs

T Park
11-21-2008, 11:24 PM
I didn't say he did, but I like his jump shot form and his shooting ability better at 22 than Parker at 22.

timvp
11-21-2008, 11:26 PM
I didn't say he did, but I like his jump shot form and his shooting ability better at 22 than Parker at 22.Same could be said about Ahearn but doesn't have much to do with potential.

MarHill
11-21-2008, 11:27 PM
I'm not concerned with him having a better rookie season than TP. Because he's a rookie....he will be inconsistent!

However, I love his agressiveness and his ability to play the passing lanes on defense.

The Spurs have found another late 1st round gem!!!!

T Park
11-21-2008, 11:27 PM
Same could be said about Ahearn but doesn't have much to do with potential.

George Hill is also better defensively at 22 than Parker was as well.

I'm not saying Hill will be better.

I think Hill has the potential though to be at his peak, a borderline all star.

T Park
11-21-2008, 11:28 PM
Also,

I apologize for doubting the FO on the drafting of Hill.

I was pissed and wanted CDR or Chalmers.

Right now, Chalmers gets more minutes, but averages less points and is down to Hill in other categories as well.

Props to the FO on this draft pick, whoever decided on him. :tu

colargol
11-22-2008, 04:04 AM

:toast

Ronaldo McDonald
11-22-2008, 04:25 AM
George Hill is also better defensively at 22 than Parker was as well.

I'm not saying Hill will be better.

I think Hill has the potential though to be at his peak, a borderline all star.

So you said you don't agree that Parker has a higher ceiling (in your reply to timvp) than Hill, but then you say that the most Hill can be is a borderline all-star?

News flash: Parker is an all star.

z0sa
11-22-2008, 05:47 AM
So you said you don't agree that Parker has a higher ceiling (in your reply to timvp) than Hill, but then you say that the most Hill can be is a borderline all-star?

News flash: Parker is an all star.

A 2-time all-star, to be correct.
Hill will not be a two time all-star just like Beno won't.

urunobili
11-22-2008, 07:44 AM
i foresee losing Hill to a huge contract we can't match in 3 years... a 10 mill a year one... that's how good he is going to be...

anakha
11-22-2008, 07:49 AM
i foresee losing Hill to a huge contract we can't match in 3 years... a 10 mill a year one... that's how good he is going to be...

If Hill keeps this up, no way do the Spurs not pick up the team option and keep him the full 4 years.

That keeps him signed until 2012, and team options are more flexible then.

wildchild
11-22-2008, 08:07 AM
I don't think Hill could be a star-player like Tony but beyond comparison, I'm glad he's in our team.

Brazil
11-22-2008, 09:25 AM
Also,

Props to the FO on this draft pick, whoever decided on him. :tu

+1

Harry Callahan
11-22-2008, 09:26 AM

TIMVP is right - Parker was a grand slam (using baseball terminology) as the 28th pick in the draft. GH looks like a triple.

A lot of people on this board were wondering if George could dribble and chew gum at the same time for awhile (not me by the way).

No. Hill looks to be a real contributor his first year and is a talented young guy.

The Spurs FO selected a quality player who appears to have a bright future with the 26th pick in the draft. Let's be happy with that. This pick was certainly not "wasted" as some said back in June around here. Pop was pretty clear when he said that GH would contribute right out of the gates and he has been right so far.

Parker comparisons are unfair to both guys.

Harry Callahan
11-22-2008, 09:30 AM
He will be a normal rookie.

I believe Parker did the same thing.

I think I remember a lot of up and down moments when Tony had troubles knocking down his jumper in 2001-2002.

The good news was you could pound the ball into #50 or #21 back then to smooth things out.

romain.star
11-22-2008, 09:41 AM
The most impressive thing about TP's rookie season were the playoffs.
That's when he proved he was, is and will be a very special player.

sexinthatsx
11-22-2008, 01:31 PM

wrong... Hill will be so good that he will start and end his career here with the spurs, just like tim duncan, and maybe parker and ginobili

whottt
11-22-2008, 01:38 PM
He's already had a worse rookie season than Parker having been bumped from the starting rotation when we have no other PG.

Tony Parker assumed the starters role 4 games into the 2001 season at the tender age of 19, and he's never come out of it since.

I do however think Hill has the potential to be better than Parker...that's not an insult to Parker, that's a compliment to Hill.

Hill's got some physicial tools that could give him the edge over Parker's speed.

Anyway...I don't see Hill as Parker's challenger or replacement...I see him as Manu's.

BTW timvp, the HOF argument is ludicrous really...yes Tony will be a HOF'er...in fact he probably already is, but a big part of that is because he is an international player and will be considered the greatest player ever from France...the BB HOF always places an emphasis on that sort of stuff.

Speaking in terms of pure statistics...Tony Parker is not a HOF PG...and likely won't ever be unless he plays till he is 40.

On the court...well I think Hill has the potential to be a much better defender and rebounder than Parker is, and I think he can match Parker's scoring ability.

Hill's got the tools to be a triple threat guard in rebounding, scoring and assists...

But anyway like I said...I envision Parker and Hill playing alongside each other...not competing with one another for the same position. I think these two are going to allow Pop to finally give his 2PG concept a legitimate test run.

T Park
11-22-2008, 01:43 PM
I think I remember a lot of up and down moments when Tony had troubles knocking down his jumper in 2001-2002.

The good news was you could pound the ball into #50 or #21 back then to smooth things out.

Numero 21 is still there... :)

mrspurs
11-22-2008, 01:46 PM
Noway is hill better the Pargo. Not right now. And no way Hill is better the Parker. Pop doesnt give Hill nowhere near the amount of pressure Parker was is in. And our system is better now then with Parker was a rooike. The system was being made while Parker was being yelled at. Dont get me wrong, Hill is good. But only fools compare Hill to Parker. TP would school Hill if they were on opposite teams. So why the comparison. I know because you need to start a thread.

JamStone
11-22-2008, 01:52 PM
His play and numbers so far indicate that he possibly could have if he were promised consistent starter type minutes. However, as many have indicated already, when the rest of the perimeter guys return healthy, his minutes will greatly decline. He'll be fortunate to continue to get 12-15 mpg. Tony got a consistent 29 mpg his rookie season.

I don't think there's indication that Hill could be a better player, but having a better rookie season, it could be possible statistically if he ended up getting those big minutes consistently.