PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on our beloved Mavs tonight

Ghazi
11-21-2008, 11:08 PM
Our beloved Mavs take down the young/talented, but terrible Grizzlies 91-76 for their first home win of the year and 4th straight double digit victory.

Somewhat lackluster though, 32.5% shooting in the first half and a high # of turnovers. Overall though, Kidd/Terry/Nowitzki had big games w/ Kidd/Dirk having double doubles.

George actually got on the floor tonight, he had a few defensive bright spots but airballed a 3 on offense, bricked another. Finished w/ 2 points.

I wouldn't mind a FEW minutes of George per game to be honest.

Can't wait for Howard to come back.

The bench has nice energy/hustle, but does it have enough production? Barea and Singleton had solid games tonight... Singleton in particular on the defensive end.

I'll take the win, on to the Pacers who are pretty good.

dirk4mvp
11-21-2008, 11:19 PM
Singleton has absolutely no offensive awareness at all. Williams didn't get enough burn.

Flight3107
11-21-2008, 11:33 PM
LOL, Allass sucks, they traded away Devin Harris. PWNED!!!

monosylab1k
11-21-2008, 11:39 PM
Took care of business. Good enough for me. Less Dick Breath and more Shawne Williams and I'd be happier though. I love seeing Kidd more aggressive on offense. The team is alot better when he looks for his own shot every so often.

Ghazi
11-22-2008, 12:55 AM
I wish Kidd would cut down the turnovers though. 5 per game over the last 6.

Findog
11-22-2008, 12:59 AM
Devin is averaging 23 ppg and 5 apg on 46% shooting. 11 FTAs per game...motherfucker is getting to the line. 14 FGAs per game over 12 FGAs per game in Dallas. I thought at first he might just be a volume scorer on a bad Nets team but he's doing it by getting to the line.

/mavsfan1000

Findog
11-22-2008, 01:01 AM
Singleton has absolutely no offensive awareness at all. Williams didn't get enough burn.

:lmao at your sig...We can't have a team in Seattle but an empty building in Memphis aint no big deal

mavsfan1000
11-22-2008, 01:03 AM
Devin is averaging 23 ppg and 5 apg on 46% shooting. 11 FTAs per game...motherfucker is getting to the line. 14 FGAs per game over 12 FGAs per game in Dallas. I thought at first he might just be a volume scorer on a bad Nets team but he's doing it by getting to the line.

/mavsfan1000
Well said. I don't hear anyone apologizing to me for criticizing the trade. I was right about it. I think I know this team pretty well.

Findog
11-22-2008, 01:05 AM
Well said. I don't hear anyone apologizing to me for criticizing the trade. I was right about it. I think I know this team pretty well.

Kidd is playing well for us, so you can't put the current team's struggles on him, but from a Moneyball perspective, Kidd for Harris is the height of idiocy.

mavsfan1000
11-22-2008, 01:08 AM
Kidd is playing well for us, so you can't put the current team's struggles on him, but from a Moneyball perspective, Kidd for Harris is the height of idiocy.
I can accept that. Kidd is decent player these days. Can hit 3's and good on the break. Cuban just didn't understand all the potential Harris had and thought Kidd would be better.

Findog
11-22-2008, 01:11 AM
I can accept that. Kidd is decent player these days. Can hit 3's and good on the break. Cuban just didn't understand all the potential Harris had and thought Kidd would be better.

The team's two main weaknesses were perimeter defense and lack of post-scoring. The acquisition of Kidd addressed neither of those concerns.

I mean, at times I can see a glimmer of why they acquired him...Kidd even at his advanced age can still be special, but I don't think it was worth it.

Not nearly as devastating as the Shaq trade, though, so I can live with it...

monosylab1k
11-22-2008, 01:22 AM
1) Avery gave up on Devin and didn't want him.

2) Dirk had given up on the team and was sick of playing.

3) Devin Harris has proven himself to be physically fragile and unreliable. And he just doesn't have the passing ability of an elite PG (and he still doesn't).

Three big reasons why Harris got traded.

Findog
11-22-2008, 01:26 AM
1) Avery gave up on Devin and didn't want him.

2) Dirk had given up on the team and was sick of playing.

3) Devin Harris had proven himself to be physically fragile and unreliable. And he just doesn't have the passing ability of an elite PG (and he still doesn't).

Three big reasons why Harris got traded.

It's all a moot point now, but I feel like like the answer wasn't to get rid of Harris but to find a PG to supplement what he couldn't do - be a distributor in the halfcourt. If CP3 and Deron Williams are like the basketball equivalent of staff aces, guys who pitch 200 innings, make 35 starts and win 20 games, Devin is more like a solid #2-3 starter. The Mavs should've gotten themselves a good reliever instead of going out and getting another starter altogether.

That said, what's done is done, but I'm a little surprised by how well Devin is playing. And the current team is starting to intrigue me.

dirk4mvp
11-22-2008, 03:07 AM
:lmao at your sig...We can't have a team in Seattle but an empty building in Memphis aint no big deal

Eh, The Kings aren't exactly a main attraction. I can't remember the last time there was a packed house at the Forum. Rudy is the shit, Mayo is the ROY so far, and as long as there's a place for me to watch live NBA action, I don't care if there's 10 people in the stands.

Findog
11-22-2008, 01:34 PM
I like Gay Mayo. The Grizzlies are interesting to watch.

IronMexican
11-22-2008, 03:21 PM
Eh, The Kings aren't exactly a main attraction. I can't remember the last time there was a packed house at the Forum. Rudy is the shit, Mayo is the ROY so far, and as long as there's a place for me to watch live NBA action, I don't care if there's 10 people in the stands.

Of course Mayo is the shit - He's a Trojan:hat

Allanon
11-22-2008, 03:55 PM
I like Gay Mayo.

That sounds creamy.

Ghazi
11-23-2008, 02:15 AM
I hope our beloved Mavs are 8-8 before the 7 game homestand. we have the Pacers, @ Lakers, and @ Kings coming up. Boy would a win at Staples get me excited! The last 4 losses against the Lakers have come down to the final minute. That means one of two things: we're due to get blown out, or we're due for a win. I hope it's the latter. Another last minute loss and I guess we'll have to accept we're good enough to play the Lakers close for 47 minutes but lose in the 48th.

As for the seven game homestand:

12/2 Los Angeles Clippers
12/4 Phoenix
12/6 Atlanta
12/9 San Antonio
12/11 Charlotte
12/13 Oklahoma City
12/15 Denver

You got 3 lottery teams, and 4 good but not great teams. I see no reason for us, if we're truly a good team, not to go 6-1 or 7-0 during that stretch. What say you guys?

This stretch can really make or break the season. If we lose 3-4 of those games on our home court we simply are not that good.

Findog
11-23-2008, 02:18 AM
I think the Mavs are due for a blowout loss at Staples. Sorry, but I've been a cynic about this team since May 6, 2007.

Ghazi
11-23-2008, 03:28 AM
lol true. That's more "realistic" than cynical though as the Lakers have been blowing basically everybody out.