PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Manu May Wait A Little Bit Longer

duncan228
11-21-2008, 11:47 PM
Edit: This is now the updated version.

Manu may wait a little bit longer (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Manu_may_wait_a_little_bit_longer.html)
By Mike Monroe - Express-News

Not so fast, Manu.

Roughly seven hours after Spurs guard Manu Ginobili told reporters he had targeted Monday's game in Memphis for his return from the injured list, coach Gregg Popovich declared that Ginobili isn't yet ready to suit up.

Speaking at length to reporters for the first time since the start of training camp, Ginobili on Friday addressed his progress in rehabilitating his left ankle. He hasn't played this season after having surgery on Sept. 3 to repair an impingement near the heel.

Ginobili has been playing one-on-one and two-on-two games for nearly a week, and on Thursday took part in some five-on-five work.

“I'm feeling very good,” he said. “I had a good practice yesterday.

“I am playing good. The ankle is not swelling. I'm tired, but those are things that you are going to get over once you play more often, so I am feeling great.”

Then, asked if he had a game in mind to return to action, he did not mince words.

“The next one,” he said. “I don't know if the guy over there (Pop) is going to allow me, but I am ready. We're going to practice tomorrow, or the day after, and if it goes as well as yesterday, I am ready to go.”

Popovich was just as emphatic in declaring Ginobili not yet fit for action.

“He'll play when he's ready,” Popovich said before the Spurs defeated the Utah Jazz 119-94, at AT&T Center, “That's when he's going to play, and he's not ready yet.”

Popovich does not think its possible for Ginobili to get himself ready for Monday's game over the weekend.

Ginobili understands that Popovich will decide when he plays, but he is determined that it be next week. The Spurs have home games Wednesday and Friday.

“I think I am going to be ready,” Ginobili said. “I don't know if they're going to be extra-cautious and wait for a time to see how I develop in practices. I feel like I can really contribute, little by little. I'm not going to play 35 minutes, but I think I'm ready to start helping.”

Ginobili believes he already has proven his fitness in workouts.

“Last week, (Popovich) watched me playing one-on-one and two-on-two, and he thought I am doing pretty well,” Ginobili said. “On the following day, I'm not sweating, so I guess I'll be able to (suit up). I don't know if Monday. If not, for Wednesday or Friday I think I'll be fine.”

More shuffling: Popovich used his sixth different starting lineup of the season Friday, replacing rookie George Hill at point guard to open the game. Instead, Roger Mason Jr., started at the point.

The two made Popovich look like a genius, combining to score 52 points.

Popovich was most impressed with Hill's aggression, both in taking the ball to the basket and taking open perimeter shots.

“He was ready to shoot it tonight,” Popovich said. “He didn't just drive the ball. If he was open, he took the shot, and that's important.”

tp2021
11-21-2008, 11:50 PM
Ginobili understands Popovich will determine when he plays, no matter how hard he lobbies to suit up.Good.

Brox6
11-22-2008, 01:38 AM
Pop is the Man!!!

timvp
11-22-2008, 01:39 AM
“Last week, he watched me playing one-on-one and two-on-two, and he thought I was doing pretty well,” Ginobili said. “On the following day, I'm not sweating, so I guess I'll be able to (suit up). I don't know if Monday. If not, for Wednesday or Friday, I think I'll be fine.”

Swelling.

:lmao @ "I'm not sweating"

peskypesky
11-22-2008, 01:43 AM
Since we're winning without him, I say keep Manu out a little longer to really make sure he's healed.

TDMVPDPOY
11-22-2008, 01:44 AM
i will lol if manu asks for a trade if his demands are not met....

z0sa
11-22-2008, 01:45 AM
Swelling.

:lmao @ "I'm not sweating"

Manu not breaking a sweat isn't news to me :hat

milkyway21
11-22-2008, 01:47 AM
just take your time Manu. don't worry we will still include you in our All-Star ballots :D

Blackjack
11-22-2008, 01:48 AM
Does anyone recall the day Manu had the surgery and what the prognosis was for his recovery?

I know Pop and the Spurs threw out mid Dec. as their timeline, but I seem to remember the prognosis being closer to mid to late Nov. for his surgery.

mVp
11-22-2008, 01:50 AM
Since we're winning without him, I say keep Manu out a little longer to really make sure he's healed.

+1

Frenchise player
11-22-2008, 02:11 AM
Games in the next 2 weeks: @Memphis, Chicago, Memphis, @Houston, Detroit, @Denver, Golden State.

The Spurs need every help they can get, but it could be wise to let Manu rest for the second part of this schedule

raspsa
11-22-2008, 02:35 AM
I wouldn't mind Mason, Hill and Company getting more heavy minutes.. Keep Manu grounded for a couple of more more weeks.

milkyway21
11-22-2008, 03:38 AM
I think he'll be tested to play against Houston or Detroit.
Maybe around 20 min (NO dunks allowed)

m33p0
11-22-2008, 09:38 AM
i sure hope Manu is already playing by the time Spurs play Denver again and shut Kenyon's trap.