PDA

View Full Version : Post Game Quotes

duncan228
11-22-2008, 02:26 AM
Recap, video, and highlights here. (http://www.nba.com/spurs/gameday/081121.html)

Spurs Head Coach Gregg Popovich

On the game - “We had a lot of guys play very well tonight, floor game and shooting. We really played good D for 48 minutes, and I thought it was a complete game by a lot of people.”

On if he thought the team would ever cool off shooting tonight - “That’s not exactly our game, shooting that well every single night, but it sure was nice to see that.”

On Roger Mason Jr’s big night - “He’s a very aggressive player and a very underrated player we thought when we brought him in. I think when we get everybody back he will give us the depth that we’ve been looking for. I thought he was excellent at both ends tonight. He rebounded and he played good D, took advantage of offensive situations and played a really fine all-around game.”

On George Hill handling the tough physical play - “That won’t bother him. He’s a very mentally tough young man and he’s learning constantly like a sponge. He’s figuring out the position and starting to see how the game is played. Hopefully with a whole season under his belt he’ll really be a factor by playoff time.”

When asked if this was the most aggressive game Hill has played yet - “He did this a couple times in the past, but I would say that he was ready to shoot it tonight. He didn’t just drive the ball, if he was open he took the shot.”

On Roger Mason Jr’s play at point guard - “He played very well. He’s capable of playing three positions and he enjoys playing all three of them. It’s not a burden for him and it doesn’t make him less aggressive. Sometimes I think he’s even more aggressive with the ball.”

On Manu Ginobili’s improvement, and if he may return in the next few games - “Manu will play when he is ready.”

Roger Mason, Jr.

On the game - "It was a good night for us. We got a win. I think we shared the basketball. It feels good to get a win.”

On his own shooting tonight - "I just wanted to be aggressive. Coach decided to start me at the point today, and early on I wanted to make sure I got to my spots. My teammates did a great job finding me. We got on a roll early and kept it going.”

On his approach playing the point rather than other positions - "I have the ball in my hands a little bit more, so I am able to make more plays. Coach tries to keep me involved any way he can, and I just try and stay aggressive.” “I thought that, off the bench, George Hill gave us a spark defensively. He was able to do some things and disrupt the tempo and I think got everybody going. It spread around…everybody was hitting shots.”

On Hill’s play tonight - “I think he’s maturing. He’s got to take it game by game as young player. One thing he can always bring is energy. I thought he did that.”

On playing multiple positions this season - “It’s tough because you’re learning a new system and then you’re learning multiple positions. You’ve got a coach out there in Tim, and I think he’s been patient with the guys. Coach Pop gives me a little lee-way to do my thing out there. The combination of those two guys has made it a little more flexible.”

George Hill

On the game - "Before the game Coach Pop talked to me about being aggressive. He told me he was going to being me off the bench today. He said the only thing I want you to do is be aggressive and look for your shot and get people involved…especially be aggressive on the defensive end and I think that’s what started everything.”

On adjusting to the NBA - "I think it’s a big adjustment. Anytime you come to an organization like this that already has their players to play around it’s a big adjustment. I think the players we’ve brought in this year have been a big help [to the veterans].”

On the physical play in the NBA - "That’s just me…that’s my personality. I’m a mellow person, but I’m competitive. I like the challenge…I like to be aggressive.”

Jazz Head Coach Jerry Sloan

On the game - "They just got after us tonight. They were terrific defensively and they took us out of our offense as we started going a little bit on our own. We never did have much of a team concept both on the offensive and defensive end. We couldn’t get over screens, we didn’t have any energy, as I was wondering where our team’s energy was. For a young group of guys I would have thought we would have had more energy as that is happened to us the last 2-3 times on the road as I’m really concerned about that.”

On once Spurs got run at halftime if Utah players felt that they weren’t going to come back - "I don’t remember how down we were at halftime. That was a situation where instead of being down eight or nine and just play defense, we let them come down and score with a couple seconds on the clock. But [Spurs] came out to destroy us as they did a good job of doing it as we didn’t stand up to them and that’s what we go to do, especially this team. We haven’t beaten them in 45 years, so it’s kind of disheartening.”

On lesson learned without Ginobili and Parker - "That’s what they get paid to do, that’s why I was concerned about our guys. They get paid to play on the road the same as they do at home and we didn’t come out with any energy as I was concerned about that and we’ll see about it as we go forward.”

On Hill and Mason’s performances tonight - "Well, one of the things that hurt us was they ran their up-screen a couple of times and we never did give any kind of help or any indication despite what we were doing on defense. We already talked about it at shootaround and then they go back out there and had no idea of what we had just talked about.”

On the absence of Boozer and Williams - "It doesn’t make a better difference whether they play or not. These other guys get paid on the first and fifteenth to compete and I never saw that. We were so far off of guys on screens that players like Finley were wide open and those are kind of shots that even if you have been in the league for a month that those are the kinds of shots that he takes. ”

tp2021
11-22-2008, 02:35 AM
On the absence of Boozer and Williams - "It doesn’t make a better difference whether they play or not. These other guys get paid on the first and fifteenth to compete and I never saw that.Dang!

Blackjack
11-22-2008, 02:42 AM
Jazz Head Coach Jerry Sloan

On the game - "They just got after us tonight. They were terrific defensively and they took us out of our offense as we started going a little bit on our own. We never did have much of a team concept both on the offensive and defensive end. We couldn’t get over screens, we didn’t have any energy, as I was wondering where our team’s energy was. For a young group of guys I would have thought we would have had more energy as that is happened to us the last 2-3 times on the road as I’m really concerned about that.”
On once Spurs got run at halftime if Utah players felt that they weren’t going to come back - "I don’t remember how down we were at halftime. That was a situation where instead of being down eight or nine and just play defense, we let them come down and score with a couple seconds on the clock. But [Spurs] came out to destroy us as they did a good job of doing it as we didn’t stand up to them and that’s what we go to do, especially this team. We haven’t beaten them in 45 years, so it’s kind of disheartening.”

I've gone from absolutely hating Sloan and the Jazz in the 90's, to actually looking forward to playing them just to hear quotes like these.

Sloan's a class-act and a hell of a coach, but it took some years and maturity to finally notice or acknowledge it. (Also doesn't hurt that the Spurs absolutely own the Jazz these days.:lol)

angelbelow
11-22-2008, 02:45 AM
damn thats why you gotta love coach sloan.

duncan228
11-22-2008, 02:46 AM
Sloan's a class-act and a hell of a coach, but it took some years and maturity to finally notice or acknowledge it. (Also doesn't hurt that the Spurs absolutely own the Jazz these days.:lol)

Sloan had some really nice things to say about us in some of the previews, particularly the article in post #21.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110166

mVp
11-22-2008, 02:48 AM
I’ve said it once, and I’ll say it again, I really admire Sloan and I respect him a lot... one of the best coaches in the league, second on my list after Pop.

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-22-2008, 02:54 AM
It seems that Hill and Mason aren't only trying to match Tony's offensive production while he's out, but his use of the word "aggressive" twice in every sentence in interviews. Still there's just no replacing an authentic, "Weh, yoo na Pup, eeeh wuz telling me to be mur aggrezive, yoo na?"

The Final Countdown
11-22-2008, 03:00 AM
Great topic thanks! :tu

Blackjack
11-22-2008, 03:05 AM
Sloan had some really nice things to say about us in some of the previews, particularly the article in post #21.

Yeah, he's always been extremely complementary towards Pop, Tim, and to the way they do things.

Pop has made no secret that he's modeled the way his Spurs play after the Jazz, and has always gone out of his way to praise Sloan whenever given the chance. I'm sure that hasn't been lost on Sloan.

Jump!
11-22-2008, 03:15 AM

That makes me want to Jump!

#2!
11-22-2008, 05:16 AM
First, its GREAT to get that first blow out win of the season. I honestly didn't think it would come until we had Manu and/or Tony back. The play of Mason and Hill tonight was a pretty nice glimpse at how good this team could be at full strength. Of course things(namely individual stats) will change when Manu and Tony are back, and Hill will be inconsistent throughout the season with his points production. But not Mason, I don't think anyone can say "Yeah, but don't expect RMJ to be able to put up good numbers consistently" anymore. Guy is golden.

Second, whoever is quoting these guys, especially Sloan, should probably do some proofreading to make sure it makes some fucking sense. The word "as" is used for "and" like 15 times in those few lines.

Third, who the fuck creates two hairband themed profiles???

JPB
11-22-2008, 05:37 AM
On Hill and Mason’s performances tonight - "Well, one of the things that hurt us was they ran their up-screen a couple of times and we never did give any kind of help or any indication despite what we were doing on defense. We already talked about it at shootaround and then they go back out there and had no idea of what we had just talked about.”

:lol

m33p0
11-22-2008, 08:41 AM
On Manu Ginobili’s improvement, and if he may return in the next few games - “Manu will play when he is ready.”
well, Manu says he's ready now, coach.

SenorSpur
11-22-2008, 08:49 AM
I actually disagree a bit with Sloan. I thought C.J. Miles and Ronnie Brewer came out and played very aggressively and very well for the Jazz. They pressured the Spurs into a couple of turnovers and scored the ball well for them. It didn't look as though they were without energy.

Brazil
11-22-2008, 09:30 AM
Recap, video, and highlights here. (http://www.nba.com/spurs/gameday/081121.html)

Roger Mason, Jr.

On his own shooting tonight - "I just wanted to be aggressive.

George Hill

On the game - "Before the game Coach Pop talked to me about being aggressive. ”

:lmao:lmao:lmao it sounds like a TP interview !!!

Manufan909
11-22-2008, 11:01 AM
CIA Pop's "treatment" is working.

JWest596
11-22-2008, 11:13 AM
If Jerry Sloan never wins an NBA COY award, it will be a travesty and and an eternal embarrassment to the NBA.

When Pop became the GM of the Spurs oh so long ago, he wanted to model them on how Sloan and Utah ran a small market team.

bigfan
11-22-2008, 11:50 AM
Pop and Sloan are the two best coaches in the NBA in my opinion. Sloan has always been a class act, isnt a whiner (like that turd now coaching the Knicks), doesnt win on having just superstars (Mr. Zen in LA) and has always done well with whatever kind of team he has. I have alot of respect for the guy.

lurker23
11-22-2008, 11:51 AM
I got to see Sloan's interview on local TV. I thought he was really rough on his guys, but I suppose that's what he does, and if it works as a motivation technique, then he won't regret it one bit. However, when a team absolutely goes off on you from long distance, there's really not much you can do, especially on the road.

On Roger Mason Jr’s play at point guard - “He played very well. He’s capable of playing three positions and he enjoys playing all three of them. It’s not a burden for him and it doesn’t make him less aggressive. Sometimes I think he’s even more aggressive with the ball.”

This quote concerns me a little bit, because I'm not sure I want to see Mason at SF. However, I'm willing to accept this because a.) if it gets Mason more playing time when Tony/Manu come back, I'm all for it, and b.) If Mason and Manu are on the court at the same time, it doesn't really matter who you call the 2 and who you call the 3, the parts are basically interchangeable.

DPG21920
11-22-2008, 12:31 PM
I got to see Sloan's interview on local TV. I thought he was really rough on his guys, but I suppose that's what he does, and if it works as a motivation technique, then he won't regret it one bit. However, when a team absolutely goes off on you from long distance, there's really not much you can do, especially on the road.

This quote concerns me a little bit, because I'm not sure I want to see Mason at SF. However, I'm willing to accept this because a.) if it gets Mason more playing time when Tony/Manu come back, I'm all for it, and b.) If Mason and Manu are on the court at the same time, it doesn't really matter who you call the 2 and who you call the 3, the parts are basically interchangeable.

It will just be spot time. I think that Pop like having Mason on the floor without Manu because he seems to be a little better when he has the ball in his hands. He seems to be more comfortable shooting off the dribble than spot up.

When he is on the floor with TP, Manu and Tim he will play more of a spot up role with the ability to drive and create, but when he is by himself he is more of a gunner off the dribble/screens.

mrspurs
11-22-2008, 02:20 PM
Sloan is overrated. If he was coaching anyother team but the Jazz. He would have already been fired.

DPG21920
11-22-2008, 02:49 PM
Sloan is overrated. If he was coaching anyother team but the Jazz. He would have already been fired.

Another pearl of wisdom from someone who gets paid to watch basketball

Spur-Addict
11-22-2008, 03:12 PM
well, Manu says he's ready now, coach.

Yeah but when Manu is ready may mean when Pop thinks Manu is ready.