PDA

View Full Version : Manu: I am tired of doing the same thing over and over, I want to play now

urunobili
11-22-2008, 07:52 AM
Me cansé de hacer siempre lo mismo; quiero jugar ya
Por Manu Ginóbili

SAN ANTONIO.? Mis ganas de jugar no tienen que ver con los resultados. Si estábamos 11-0 y no 5-6 como arrancamos, tal vez me habría tomado un par de días más, pero estaría tan desesperado por volver como ahora. Empecé haciendo prácticas uno contra uno hace cinco días, después pasé a dos contra dos y finalmente hice un entrenamiento completo con el resto del equipo. El tobillo no se hinchó y siento que estoy listo.

No es que estoy adelantando los tiempos. Cuando Popovich dijo que volvería a mediados de diciembre lo hizo para sacarme presión y poder recuperarme tranquilo. Pero la realidad es que después de la operación me dijeron que tendrían que pasar entre ocho y doce semanas. Y estamos en la semana 11, así que estoy dentro de lo esperado. Ya es tiempo suficiente y quiero ayudar al equipo. Además, como ya conté varias veces, acá no existen los entrenamientos entre semana. Hay uno de vez en cuando, y el ritmo se consigue en los partidos. Yo no voy a estar como en mi mejor momento, estoy lento y necesito tomar ritmo gradualmente. Tengo que arrancar de a poco, no espero grandes cosas, y me gustaría que me dejen jugar algunos minutos pasado mañana (contra Memphis), o a más tardar el miércoles próximo (Chicago). Pop me dijo que me iba a evaluar después de un par de prácticas, y la de hoy será la segunda. Siento que la prueba final para saber que estaba listo fue el entrenamiento en la cancha. Ahí están en situación de juego real, no es como en las prácticas de tiro o de salto solo, en las que todo es más seguro y controlado. Ese último examen lo pasé bien.

La verdad es que lo que le pasó al equipo es una desgracia. Después de lo mío, también Fabri se perdió un par de partidos; Tony ya se quedó afuera en seis y va a faltar en un par más. Esta vez no nos tocó arrancar con el pie derecho...

De todos modos la gente de San Antonio sigue dándonos crédito. Creo que nos lo ganamos. No sé cuánto tiempo más va a durar, pero por ahora entienden que estamos en una situación difícil.

De todos modos, en el grupo estamos confiados. Tenemos mucha experiencia y sabemos que podemos salir. El objetivo ahora es meternos entre los cuatro primeros del Oeste para tener una primera rueda como locales. Esta vez sabemos que esa meta está en riesgo y eso va más allá de las lesiones. Hay equipos muy buenos, demasiados. Los Lakers, que son los favoritos, pero también son durísimos Dallas, Houston, Phoenix, Portland, Utah ?que siempre es un equipazo? y ahora se sumó Denver, que se potenció con Chauncey Billups.

Entre los nuevos que tuvieron que reemplazarnos a Tony y a mí, está Roger Mason, que viene jugando muy bien. Pop le dio la titularidad para que se sintiera cómodo y respaldado. Arrancó derecho con el aro, tiene buena actitud y tendrá mejores posibilidades con el equipo completo, porque ahora las marcas se cierran mucho sobre él. Y, fundamentalmente, es buen pibe. Acá importan los jugadores, pero también las personas y se va a ganar un lugar. Lo mismo con George Hill, que es muy jovencito en una posición difícil para un técnico como Pop. Está tratando de aprender y le tocó llevar las riendas del equipo hasta que vuelva el que manda (Parker).

Nos encontramos con muchas piedras en el camino, pero vamos a estar bien. En lo personal, me tomé la recuperación con paciencia, pero las dos últimas semanas fueron complicadas. Me cansé de hacer siempre lo mismo, me gusta jugar. Necesito hacer lo mío, sentir el desafío, saber que cada juego cuenta, vivir lo previo, el post... lo más lindo. Ahora, mientras eso pasa, yo estoy haciendo pesas o subiendo montañas, cosas que no me divierten. Espero estar rápido en la cancha. Quiero jugar ya.

urunobili
11-22-2008, 07:54 AM
Hey guys (diego, ElNono) can anyone step up and translate? i am on Buenos Aires celebrating my birthday and paying for internet... can anyone?

Thanks,

(please do not post google or any other tool cheap translations)

urunobili
11-22-2008, 08:06 AM
OK i'll do one that i really liked as you guys wait for diego...

Last phrase of the paragraph before the last one:

"Hill is trying to learn and he was asked to lead our team until the one in charge comes back (TP)"

For all the Manu vs. TP haters... Manu thinks TP is the boss of the team eat that!

Spurs Brazil
11-22-2008, 08:25 AM
He said he wants to play monday or wednesday

SenorSpur
11-22-2008, 08:45 AM
It would seem that the Big Boss (Pop) has already spoken about this.

Bambililos
11-22-2008, 09:52 AM
He says Pop was being extra cautious by predicting his return by mid-December in order not to put him under pressure. The doctors had predicted between 8 and 12 weeks, and he's in week 11, so he feels he should be allowed to play.
He says he's happy about the production of Mason jr and Hill, but that it would be easier for him to wait if the team was 11-0 instead of 5-6 (interview previous to the Utah game I guess).
He also says that now that he's acomplished the last test (5-on-5 practice) he won't get any readier with just practicing, he needs to start playing games, a few minutes at a time.
Oh, and he said the goal for the Spurs this season is to finish within the first 4 spots in the West, in order to get home-court advantage in the PO. So I guess they're not tanking :)

Clutch20
11-22-2008, 10:14 AM
Dont hang your head Manu, your fans here in San Antonio are not quitters, we will still support you and our team no matter.

Thanks for saying nice words about Mason and Hill. Yes, Pop did his best to assure Mase that it's ok to score a lot for Tony's and Manu's team and I'm glad that you're not bitter or envious to the point where chemistry stops us from reaching the finals.

Yes, there are many bumps in the road and it's not easy for a warrior to practice patience. We don't think you're pushing that much for being ahead of schedule but knowing Pop like we do he prefers to go for the maxium time planned because he would rather work with what he has to stay afloat than lose a member of the Big 3 just because some people complain about not being perfect or not being in first place.

So Manu, you are dealing with the most implacable enemy a warrior such as yourself can ever face.
Patience.
Having the patience to wait on the sidelines while watching new fast young and hungry teammates fight their way to a string of victories right in front of your eyes.

I'm glad to not have to be in your shoes!

Clutch20

Anti.Hero
11-22-2008, 10:27 AM
LOL at 2-7 place teams all having 5 losses to our 6. We could still pull this out if Manu Tony come back relatively soon LMAO

The west will be so deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep this year :lol:downspin:

diego
11-22-2008, 11:57 AM
SAN ANTONIO My desire to play has nothing to do with the standings. If we were 11-0 instead of the 5-6 start we had, maybe i'd take a couple more days, but i'd still be desperate to play like now. I started doing one on one in practice 5 days ago, then 2 on 2, and finally did a whole session with the rest of the team. The ankle hasnt swelled and I feel ready.

I'm not jumping ahead of schedule. When Pop said I'd be back mid-december he did it to take the pressure off me to recover at ease. But the real diagnosis was always 8-12 weeks. And we're at week 11, so I'm where I'm expected to be. Its been enough time and I want to help the team. Besides, as I've mentioned before, here we don't train in the week. One every now and then, but the rhythm comes from matches. I'm not going to be at my best, I'm slow and I need to get the rhythm. I have to start slowly, I don't expect great things, and I'd like it if they allow me to play some minutes the day after tommorrow (against Memphis), or at the latest next wednesday (Chicago). Pop said he was going to evaluate me after a couple practices, and today's will be the second. I think the final test to see if I was ready was the full court practice. Thats a real game situation, not like shooting or jumping practice, which is safer and more controlled. That last test I passed very well.

The truth is what happened to the team is really bad luck. After my injury, Fabri also missed some games; Tony has missed 6 and is going to miss some more. We werent able to get off on the right foot this time...

Still the people of San Antonio support us. I think we earned it. I dont know how much this will last, but for now they understand we are in a difficult situation.

All the same, the group is confident. We have a lot of experience and know we can overcome. The current goal is to get one of the top 4 seeds so we can start with HCA. We know this time that goal is difficult and that goes beyond the injuries. There are very good teams, too many. The lakers, who are favorites, but also Dallas, Houston, Phoenix, Portland, Utah, which is always good, and now Denver, that got better with Chauncey Billups.

Of the new guys replacing Tony and me, there's Roger Mason, who's been playing very well. Pop gave him the starting spot to give him confidence and support. He started with good accuracy for the rim, he's got a good attitude and he'll have better chances with the full team, because now the defense focuses a lot on him. And, fundamentally, he's a good dude. Here the players matter, but the people as well and he's going to find his place. The same with George Hill, who is very young in a tough position with a coach like Pop. He's trying to learn the position and he's handling the reins till the boss gets back (Parker).

We've stumbled on a lot of rocks on the road, but we're going to be ok. On a personal level, I took my recovery with patience, But the last two weeks have been complicated. I'm tired of always doing the same, I like to play. I need to my thing, feel the challenge, know that every game counts, live the build up, the post-game... the nicest of all. Now, as time passes, I'm lifting weights or mountain climbing, things that do not entertain me. I hope to be on the court soon. I want to play now.

did it quick, fighting a hangover... the summary reads- manu bored, must play now. hill and mason good. must play now.

Cant_Be_Faded
11-22-2008, 12:22 PM
Fuck Manu. Pop needs to look him square in the eye and tell him to shut the hell up and sit his ass down. We seem to be keeping the boat afloat without him, and are seeing decent progress with the backups getting these extra minutes. The last thing this team needs is Manu to feel like he needs to make up for being injured the last half year and go out and be super manu and get hurt again.

Rest him until he's 110%. Even if we play him just 10 minutes, 10 minutes of Manu's game is like 25 minutes for a normal player.

Manufan909
11-22-2008, 12:33 PM
Fuck Manu. Pop needs to look him square in the eye and tell him to shut the hell up and sit his ass down. We seem to be keeping the boat afloat without him, and are seeing decent progress with the backups getting these extra minutes. The last thing this team needs is Manu to feel like he needs to make up for being injured the last half year and go out and be super manu and get hurt again.

Rest him until he's 110%. Even if we play him just 10 minutes, 10 minutes of Manu's game is like 25 minutes for a normal player.

Someone needs to look you in the eye and tell you to STFU. He's only asking for a couple minutes anyways, so calm your ass down.

And I think he's close to 110% if he is mountain climbing.:king

spursfan09
11-22-2008, 12:40 PM
I believe at least one more week.

PeterBurns
11-22-2008, 12:48 PM
No Rush Senor.
You're chomping at the bit, and I want him like a caged pit bull when he returns. I think if they put him in a week or two too early, he'll come out a little tentative.

I would rather weather the storm, and have him come back like 2005 Manu.

The Pop and RC are like a Jockey in a Horserace. They should hold back the horses until it's time to make a charge. They don't need to crack the whip yet. Save it for a huge stretch run.

Manufan909
11-22-2008, 12:53 PM
No Rush Senor.
You're chomping at the bit, and I want him like a caged pit bull when he returns. I think if they put him in a week or two too early, he'll come out a little tentative.

I would rather weather the storm, and have him come back like 2005 Manu.

The Pop and RC are like a Jockey in a Horserace. They should hold back the horses until it's time to make a charge. They don't need to crack the whip yet. Save it for a huge stretch run.

+1

I miss me some Manu bad, but let the Spurs go on without him til they lose again. I think they'll get a 4 game win-streak going, but idk.

Cant_Be_Faded
11-22-2008, 12:57 PM
Someone needs to look you in the eye and tell you to STFU. He's only asking for a couple minutes anyways, so calm your ass down.

He's not going to play just 2 minutes that is ridiculous, and he plays at such a high intensity level that even if a few minutes were possible, its still not good. And he is not 110%.

Manufan909
11-22-2008, 01:07 PM
He's not going to play just 2 minutes that is ridiculous, and he plays at such a high intensity level that even if a few minutes were possible, its still not good. And he is not 110%.

Ok, my bad. I didn''t know you were going to get technical; he's only probably going to be in 10-15 the 1st 3 games or so.

mrspurs
11-22-2008, 02:03 PM
That dummy should a thought about that when he disregarded Pop and FOs orders, not to play while being hurt in the olympics. Dont start crying now. You wasnt crying when you was with your argentina teammates.

urunobili
11-22-2008, 07:36 PM
did it quick, fighting a hangover... the summary reads- manu bored, must play now. hill and mason good. must play now.

you are da man diego! thanks for stepping up when needed! :toast

Obstructed_View
11-22-2008, 07:48 PM
Still the people of San Antonio support us. I think we earned it. I dont know how much this will last, but for now they understand we are in a difficult situation.

:lol Someone needs to explain to Manu that the fanbase isn't going to stop showing up.

ElNono
11-22-2008, 08:08 PM
Hey guys (diego, ElNono) can anyone step up and translate? i am on Buenos Aires celebrating my birthday and paying for internet... can anyone?

Thanks,

(please do not post google or any other tool cheap translations)

I'm sorry. I just got back home. Good job, diego!

ElNono
11-22-2008, 08:11 PM
That dummy should a thought about that when he disregarded Pop and FOs orders, not to play while being hurt in the olympics. Dont start crying now. You wasnt crying when you was with your argentina teammates.

Are you from New Jersey? :lol

gospursgojas
11-22-2008, 08:14 PM

I'm sure he means climbing a rock wall they have at the prac facility, not really mountain climbing

PURO SAN ANTO 210!
11-22-2008, 10:59 PM
Hope To See Manu 100%. Not Right Now. Wait It's Not Gonna Hurt So Much, He's All Ready Bin Out This Long. Jus Wait Till He's 100%

ducks
11-23-2008, 12:37 AM
he is already tired of playing basketball and watching film
but he wants to play 5-6 more years

wtf?

ducks
11-23-2008, 12:56 AM
bump

CubanMustGo
11-23-2008, 01:04 AM
bump

ducks
11-23-2008, 02:08 AM
bumb

ClingingMars
11-23-2008, 11:55 AM
:lol Someone needs to explain to Manu that the fanbase isn't going to stop showing up.

:lol :lol :lol

-Mars