PDA

View Full Version : Vote on Athletic Credits is Delayed

ploto
11-22-2008, 08:57 AM
A decision to give more course credits for Texas high school football players and students who play other sports won’t be made until next year.

After a preliminary vote earlier this week to grant up to four credits — one for every year of participation in sports — the State Board of Education voted 10-5 Friday to delay a final vote.

High school students currently can earn up to two credits (26 are needed for graduation) for participating in athletics. Those who want to give students an additional two credits for athletics say it’s an equity issue.

For example, students can earn four credits in band. Participating in the marching band, however, is considered extracurricular, which students can substitute for physical education.

Giving students additional credit for participation in sports will give them flexibility, supporters said, as the new math, science, English and social studies requirements create scheduling conflicts for athletes.

But two board members left over from the 1984 public education reform that resulted in the landmark “no pass, no play” standard argue that elevating athletics would be a major step backwards.

High school football used to rule Texas, board member Geraldine Miller, R-Dallas, said. As such, one of the main goals of the 1984 reform was to de-emphasize athletics and emphasis academics.

“This completely dismantles the reform movement of 1984, and I truly regret that. I never thought that I would see this happen,” Miller said of the proposal to give athletes more course credits. “I have seen incremental chipping away from that reform movement.”

Supporters of the plan to give athletes additional credits emphasize that doing so would not dilute high school graduation tracks or the requirement to take the necessary math, science, English and social studies classes.

“There seems to be this message (on talk radio shows) that we are giving athletes an easier ride, and that’s not true,” board member Ken Mercer, R-San Antonio, said.

Board Chairman Don McLeroy, R-Bryan, initially voted for the proposal but convinced colleagues Friday to postpone final action pending board review early next year of the state’s entire high school graduation requirements.

A delay also would give Texas Education Agency staff time to develop the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills standards for the four course credits accompanying athletics.

“I want to see what the TEKS are for this four years of credit,” said board member Mary Helen Berlanga, D-Corpus Christi, who, like Miller, was part of the board’s 1984 reform movement and who also opposes the measure.

The course content will focus on traits like leadership, hard work, sacrifice, teamwork and learning how to overcome adversity, D.W. Rutledge, executive director of the Texas High School Coaches Association, told the board.

“There’s a lot of students saved from the streets because of athletics,” said Rutledge, the former football coach at Judson High School in Bexar County. “We’re not asking for anything that will hurt the academic rigor.”

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/Vote_on_athletics_credits_is_delayed.html