PDA

View Full Version : Game Thoughts: Spurs vs. Jazz Nov. 21

timvp
11-22-2008, 07:18 PM
The Utah Jazz came to San Antonio on Friday night with a hurting roster and the Spurs made sure they felt the pain. After trailing by as many as nine points in the first quarter, the Spurs used a 20-4 run to bust the game open and never look back. When the final horn sounded, the Spurs had easily disposed of the Jazz by a final score of 119-94.

Playing in just his tenth career game, George Hill was almost single-handedly responsible for the first quarter run. Coming off the bench for the first time since Tony Parker got injured, Hill either scored or assisted on 16 of the 18 points the Spurs scored in the final four and a half minutes of the quarter.

Offensively, the Jazz were good enough to compensate for not having Deron Williams, Carlos Boozer and Kyle Korver due to injury. Defensively, though, Utah just wasn’t very good. Their strategy was to double-team Tim Duncan relentlessly but Duncan and the Spurs figured it out and they were able to get plenty of wide open three-pointers.

For the Spurs, this was another good shorthanded victory. Although their defense wasn’t as sturdy as it’s been as of late, their red hot offense more than made up for any defensive deficiencies. The blowout win should help the confidence, especially the confidence of the players new to the system, and it allowed for Pop to rest the starters.

Tim Duncan
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3173.jpg
27 minutes, 18 points, seven rebounds, four assists
6-for-10 from the field, 6-for-6 at the line

Tim Duncan played a very smart game on the offensive end. He figured out what the Jazz were doing defensively and used the predictable double-teams to find open shooters. Whenever Utah made any type of run, Duncan would then take it upon himself to score. Rebounding-wise, Duncan was very active on the offensive boards but needed to help out a bit more on the other end. Two defensive rebounds in 27 minutes won’t cut it most nights. Duncan was decent defensively but not as dominant as we’ve seen over the last few weeks. Overall, he was solid and definitely helped the Spurs break it open and win it going away.
-------------------------------

Roger Mason, Jr.
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3628.jpg
30 minutes, 29 points, four rebounds
10-for-17 from the field, 7-for-10 on three-pointers

Starting at point guard, Roger Mason, Jr. gave Spurs fans even more to be excited about. His season-high 29 points featured a career-high tying seven three-pointers. Mason made the Jazz pay when they left him open – which was inexplicably quite often. His playmaking skills weren’t as crisp as possible but he made a lot of good decisions. Not even a month into his Spurs career, Mason is proving to be a willing shooter who is capable of playing three positions.

Michael Finley
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3023.jpg
27 minutes, 14 points, three rebounds
6-for-10 from the field, 1-for-2 on three-pointers

Michael Finley did another fine job on the offensive end. He was actively looking for his shots and even penetrated into the lane a few times. Defensively, Finley wasn’t as good as he’s been in recent games. In fact, Pop benched him after a defensive miscue in which he let his man drive down the middle of the paint. On the whole, however, Finley is playing very well.

Bruce Bowen
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3167.jpg
27 minutes, three points, four assists
1-for-1 from the field, 1-for-1 on three-pointers

Back in the starting lineup, Bowen had a better than average game. He was aggressive defensively and did a really good job getting back on transition defense. On offense, Bowen hit the only shot he took. Although Bowen’s role has fluctuated all year, he has quietly knocked down most of his shots. He’s now shooting 53.1% from the field, including 42.9% on three-pointers.

Fabricio Oberto
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3988.jpg
23 minutes, five rebounds, three assists
0-for-1 from the field

Fabricio Oberto looked more active than usual against the Jazz. He helped the Spurs get second chances by crashing the offensive glass. Oberto also made a number of very impressive passes. However, scoring and defensive rebounds remain a problem for the Argentine bigman. Oberto is currently last in the NBA in points per minute and compared to last season, his offensive production is down nearly 60%.

Ime Udoka
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3501.jpg
29 minutes, ten points, five rebounds
3-for-9 from the field, 0-for-2 on three-pointers, 4-for-5 at the line

Pop gave Ime Udoka plenty of minutes to find his way out of his slump. Although he showed signs of life, Udoka continued to struggle for the most part. Offensively, he’s discombobulated – shooting when he should pass and passing when he should shoot. Defensively, he’s doing a decent job but not as good as he’s capable of playing. The rebounds were helpful, although he’ll need to do more to keep from seeing his minutes totally disappear once everyone is healthy.

George Hill
http://www.iupuijags.com/images/2007/12/12/player_hill.jpg
23 minutes, 23 points, four assists, three steals
7-for-13 from the field, 2-for-2 on three-pointers, 7-for-10 at the line

George Hill had a few extraordinary stretches. In his first 12 minutes of action, Hill scored 21 points on 6-for-8 shooting and also had three assists. Although he has struggled at times this year due to passive play, his aggressiveness level in this game was through the roof. Hill seemed extremely comfortable in his role off the bench and if it weren't for persistent foul trouble, he could have really exploded against the Jazz. One aspect of his game that should help the Spurs down the line is his ability to get to the free throw line. He’s getting to the line at a rate just a hair less than Duncan, which is a great sign for a rookie.

Anthony Tolliver
http://msn.foxsports.com/fe/img/NBA/Headshots/140x170/4371.jpg
19 minutes, five points, two steals, one rebound
2-for-5 from the field, 1-for-3 on three-pointers

Anthony Tolliver, as we’ve come to expect, hustled and was all over the court on the defensive end. He also made a few very good passes on the offensive end. That said, Tolliver is going to have to start grabbing more rebounds to earn a consistent role. If he can’t rebound better than he’s shown so far, Tolliver is going to have a tough time surviving in the NBA as a bigman.

Matt Bonner
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3748.jpg
18 minutes, 12 points, four rebounds, two assists
5-for-8 from the field, 2-for-3 on three-pointers

Outside of Hill and Duncan, Bonner might have been the best player on the court for the Spurs. He wasn't hesitant at all on the offensive end and really helped spread the court with his shooting. The Bonner and Hill pick-and-roll was especially effective. On the defensive end, Bonner did a great job of moving his feet – even when he was switched off onto perimeter players. In the last five games, Bonner has found his way out of Pop’s doghouse and is now proving he deserves plenty of minutes. In those five games he’s averaging 9.8 points and 5 rebounds in 21.8 minutes per game, while shooting 51.3% from the field and 52.9% from beyond the arc.

Kurt Thomas
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3012.jpg
nine minutes, two points, six rebounds, two assists
1-for-4 from the field

Kurt Thomas didn’t enter the game until it was garbage time in the fourth quarter. Although the competition level wasn’t high, it was good to see Thomas able to pull down rebounds. He also looked more limber than usual. Hopefully this garbage time cameo translates to better production in upcoming games.

Blake Ahearn
http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/4/44070m.JPG
eight minutes, three points
1-for-3 from the field, 1-for-2 on three-pointers

Offensively, Blake Ahearn looks pretty decent. He's a confident ballhandler who makes the right pass and has a nice looking stroke. Defense is a different story. His effort isn’t where it needs to be and his positioning is poor. Ahearn might be a worthwhile project due to his offensive potential but he has tons of work to do before he becomes an even halfway acceptable defender on the NBA level.

Jacque Vaughn
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3195.jpg
seven seconds

With Mason starting the game at point guard and Hill playing the backup role, Vaughn was nudged out of the rotation. I’m not sure if dropping Vaughn out of the rotation was part of the reason why Pop moved Mason to the starting role, but it worked out that way.

Gregg Popovich
http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/topstory/sports/popovich_gregg030428.jpg

At first, I was disappointed that Pop benched Hill. But once Hill came into the game with boundless energy and aggressiveness, Pop’s move looked genius. It’ll be interesting to see if Pop will keep that point guard rotation going forward. Outside of that coaching move, Pop didn’t have to do much more considering the way the Spurs were shooting the basketball. Although he does deserve credit for calling a lot of pick-and-rolls involving Bonner because those plays played a big part in breaking down Utah’s defense.

Offense

San Antonio’s offense was highlighted by their three-point shooting. The Spurs hit eight of their first nine three-pointers and finished the game 15-for-25 from beyond the arc. Most of the threes were generated by either aggressiveness from the guards or Duncan drawing attention. The Spurs also shot 51.9% from the floor and 20-for-25 from the line. Their assist-to-turnover ratio was impressive as they had 23 assists to just 11 turnovers. Overall, it’d be almost impossible for the Spurs to play better than they did on offense without both Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker.

Defense

The defense wasn’t nearly as impressive. The Jazz were able to shoot 49.3% from the field – mostly because the middle of the Spurs defense was quite weak. Even though the Jazz shot a lot of attempts in the paint, the Spurs failed to register a single blocked shot. The good news is that the Spurs held the Jazz to just seven offensive rebounds and did a good job of closing out on the shooters.

Drive to Survive

At 6-6, the Spurs have to be very happy with where they currently stand, all things considered. The next game is Monday at Memphis against the Grizzlies. Although it’s a winnable game, the Grizzlies have loads of athleticism that will be difficult for the Spurs to handle, especially if they don’t do a better job of protecting the rim. But if the Spurs attack offensively and play with more toughness on defense, they may be able to find themselves over .500 for the first time this season.

Believe.

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-22-2008, 07:25 PM
The one game I miss is the one where Hill breaks out. :(

duncan228
11-22-2008, 07:27 PM
Thanks as always. The defense wasn't great, but boy was the offense fun to watch. As a fan it was a feel good game, the team seemed to be enjoying it too. I think we all needed the smiles a game like that brings. I'm sure Pop will hammer home the defense, it's the way we win when it matters the most. It's been pretty neat watching the Spurs as a work in progress.

urunobili
11-22-2008, 07:32 PM
thanks timvp... an observation... Mason Tim and Hill played better than Bonner...

DannyT
11-22-2008, 07:33 PM
this needs to be posted a lot sooner please....my fix for gameday recap jst cant wait this long....

SpursFanFirst
11-22-2008, 08:19 PM
The one game I miss is the one where Hill breaks out. :(

I'm with you. I couldn't even listen to the game because the audio on my laptop is B-R-O-K-E-N :pctoss

Borosai
11-22-2008, 08:36 PM
Depth is good. Youth is good. Experience is good. It's all good.

Brazil
11-22-2008, 08:37 PM
nice read as usual I liked the "The Utah Jazz came to San Antonio on Friday night with a hurting roster and the Spurs made sure they felt the pain" !

ducks
11-22-2008, 08:39 PM
this needs to be posted a lot sooner please....my fix for gameday recap jst cant wait this long....

show him the fucking money

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-22-2008, 08:49 PM
http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/5044/sthilljuggernautin8.jpg

:rollin

anakha
11-22-2008, 08:50 PM
^ That needs to go in the Wall thread. :lol

Blackjack
11-22-2008, 11:02 PM
First off, I really like the new format for "Game Thoughts" and have to give you big-time props on how you keep improving.:toast

George Hill had a few extraordinary stretches. In his first 12 minutes of action, Hill scored 21 points on 6-for-8 shooting and also had three assists. Although he has struggled at times this year due to passive play, his aggressiveness level in this game was through the roof. Hill seemed extremely comfortable in his role off the bench and if it weren't for persistent foul trouble, he could have really exploded against the Jazz. One aspect of his game that should help the Spurs down the line is his ability to get to the free throw line. He’s getting to the line at a rate just a hair less than Duncan, which is a great sign for a rookie.
Hill and Ian have both demonstrated a knack for getting to the free-throw line, which is an absolutely invaluable asset to bring to the table.:tu

Defense

The defense wasn’t nearly as impressive. The Jazz were able to shoot 49.3% from the field – mostly because the middle of the Spurs defense was quite weak. Even though the Jazz shot a lot of attempts in the paint, the Spurs failed to register a single blocked shot. The good news is that the Spurs held the Jazz to just seven offensive rebounds and did a good job of closing out on the shooters.
Walter Stoops has to be one of the worst statisticians for a home team in the league. I've never seen another big-time rebounder/assist-man/shot-blocker, past or present, get short-changed as often as Tim does. Hell, most (Stockton, Rodman, Garnett, Paul, to name a few) could count on their stats to be padded.

Tim could actually be heard screaming, "I got a piece of that", on at least two of the Jazz drives to the basket. I really don't think Tim cares about stats as much as most, but I think it bothers even Tim to not get credit for what he deserves.

I seriously doubt Tim would ever bitch or call attention to being short-changed on stats because- a.) He's got more class than that. and b.) He's smart enough to know how bad that could look. So I think him yelling that he got a piece of that, was his way of trying to not get short-changed by giving Stoops as much help as possible.

Tim may have too much class to ever bring attention to it, but luckily for him? Fans like myself have no such thing.:lol

timvp
11-22-2008, 11:22 PM
thanks timvp... an observation... Mason Tim and Hill played better than Bonner...Probably, although Hill and Bonner were the ones who broke the game open. Not sure what's with Bonner recently but let's hope he keeps it up.

I'll see what I can do :reading

mob
11-22-2008, 11:42 PM
day of game thoughts

feed the trolls

ginobilized
11-22-2008, 11:55 PM
Great as usual and thanks.

MI21
11-23-2008, 12:06 AM
I agree, being in Australia means I don't get to see every game, and rarely get to see any games the day they happen. I demand Game Thoughts the day of the game! :lol

xellos88330
11-23-2008, 12:27 AM
Bonner led the team in the +/- :lmao

My game thoughts... WOWZERS!!!

ducks
11-23-2008, 12:41 AM
it was awesome to beat the dirty jazz

DPG21920
11-23-2008, 12:41 AM
Bump

YODA
11-23-2008, 12:52 AM
Always a good read. Still want to know whats up with Thomas. bonner is not the answer. I acutally think they may be playing to showcase him some for some future trade. Its obvious beyond TD, out bigs cant seem to do much. D is they key and if TD is scared to rotate off, then were all in trouble. Bonners team D and rebounding really hurts.

I really think we need to talk more about the big situation. Interior D has always been the Key to Spurs D and withouut it, were just mediocre at best.

CubanMustGo
11-23-2008, 01:05 AM
bump

wildchild
11-23-2008, 08:31 AM
Oberto is currently last in the NBA in points per minute and compared to last season, his offensive production is down nearly 60%.

Compared to last season after 12 games
October-November 2007 5ppg 5rpg
October-November 2008 1,9ppg 3,3rpg

I don't sure about his heart condition but something is wrong with the guy this season.

wildchild
11-23-2008, 08:39 AM
http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/5044/sthilljuggernautin8.jpg

:rollin

:D

Hill Juggernaut! :tu

Sissiborgo
11-23-2008, 08:40 AM
We are a better team without having a 100% team!

timvp
11-23-2008, 12:56 PM

I don't sure about his heart condition but something is wrong with the guy this season.Yeah, I'm not exactly sure what's wrong but something is slowing him down. It could be the heart condition but last time he had it fixed, he went on the best run of his career.

Hopefully he's just pacing himself for a long season and it's just a matter of lack of effort. If it's correctable, that'd be great because he's passing better than ever right now and his chemistry with the rest of the team is high. But I'm not sure how much longer he can start if he remains the worst scorer in the league while rebounding like a guard . . .

peskypesky
11-23-2008, 01:08 PM

I don't sure about his heart condition but something is wrong with the guy this season.

yeah maybe Oberto's afraid of having a heart attack on the floor. that definitely would explain his lackluster play.

peskypesky
11-23-2008, 01:11 PM
After electrical cardioversion, anti-arrhythmics often are prescribed to help prevent future episodes of atrial fibrillation. Commonly used medications include amiodarone (Cordarone, Pacerone), propafenone (Rythmol), procainamide (Procanbid) and dofetilide (Tikosyn). Although these drugs can help maintain sinus rhythm in many people, they can cause side effects, such as nausea, dizziness and fatigue. In rare instances, they may cause ventricular arrhythmias — life-threatening rhythm disturbances originating in the heart's lower chambers. These medications may be needed indefinitely. Unfortunately, even with medications, the chance of another episode of atrial fibrillation is high.

Man Mountain
11-24-2008, 04:57 PM
I demand Game Thoughts the day of the game! Me too. who else agrees? :clap

balli
11-24-2008, 05:01 PM
Fuck that game. Those are my thoughts.

Though seriously, congratulations. Hill and Mason are going to be players in this league.

duncan228
11-24-2008, 05:03 PM
You guys aren't serious about 'demanding' Game Thoughts on game day, are you? I consider us lucky that timvp can put in the time and effort it takes to do what he does for us. Whenever he gets them out is fine. And appreciated.

And, IIRC, they have always come out before tip of the next game. That's a pretty decent time frame imo.

TDMVPDPOY
11-24-2008, 05:08 PM
You guys aren't serious about 'demanding' Game Thoughts on game day, are you? I consider us lucky that timvp can put in the time and effort it takes to do what he does for us. Whenever he gets them out is fine. And appreciated.

And, IIRC, they have always come out before tip of the next game. That's a pretty decent time frame imo.

i demand live-action sec-by-sec plays being called.....chat room? :D:D

urunobili
11-24-2008, 05:27 PM

well... i have to confess that it gets boring to read all the discussion on McDonald's and other people that don;t know us very well threads until timvp's thought's are released... if they come ASAP after game is finished we will save valuable time spent on other stories not as good as...

Also...
can we get a weekly timvp mailbag Kori?

Thanks

Fabbs
11-24-2008, 05:35 PM
Blake Ahearn
http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/4/44070m.JPG

http://www.legaljuice.com/pee%20wee%202.jpg
related?

Brazil
11-24-2008, 06:47 PM
http://www.legaljuice.com/pee%20wee%202.jpg
related?

:wow:lmao

Obstructed_View
11-24-2008, 07:10 PM
I demand 20 dollar bills from everyone via PM...

balli
11-24-2008, 07:25 PM
I demand 20 dollar bills from everyone via PM...

I heavily considered Pm'ing you this 20 separate times.

http://www.seasideequity.com/images/dollar.bmp

Obstructed_View
11-24-2008, 07:26 PM
I heavily considered Pm'ing you this 20 separate times.

http://www.seasideequity.com/images/dollar.bmp

Yeah, my PM box is filling up.

duncan228
11-24-2008, 07:37 PM
:lol