PDA

View Full Version : Chuck Liddell Mulling Move to Heavyweight to Face Randy Couture

Evan
11-22-2008, 07:39 PM
A strong source indicates to Bloody Elbow that Chuck Liddell is currently in negotiations to move to heavyweight in order to fight Randy Couture. The proposed fight would take place on June 13th in Cologne, Germany.

The UFC wants to have Randy on their Germany show because he speaks the language and can do all the promotion. The winner of the fight would face the heavyweight champion in a big fight at the end of the year.

Couture is uninterested in moving down to 205 where Forrest Griffin is champion and Wanderlei Silva is also a contender. Both are close to him and in his camp, and weight cutting takes a toll at his age. Given his status, they aren't going to have him fight guys like Cheick Kongo, it is only big fights for Couture at this stage.

For Liddell, the thought is that at his age the weight cutting process is taking more of a toll on his body, and whereas he would have to win a bunch of fights to get back at contention at 205, the heavyweight division is thin enough where he could jump in and be an immediate contender with a win.

It is believed internally that Couture/Liddell will draw better than Silva/Liddell, and they know that a potential Liddell/Lesnar match would probably be the biggest PPV in the history of MMA. It's one of those win-win situations for PPV business. Even a match between the two losers later in the year could likely do big business.

The Anderson Silva match was discussed, but the buyrate news from October pretty much sealed the deal against that fight. Anderson Silva will still probably fight in February in the UK, but not against Liddell.

For those counting, this show could be UFC 100.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2008/11/22/668094/bloody-elbow-exclusive-chu#comments

Evan
11-22-2008, 07:39 PM
bad.ass

LEONARD
11-22-2008, 07:41 PM
:fro

dbreiden83080
11-22-2008, 08:38 PM
Meh, doesn't do much for me. I don't see Chuck as a great fighter anymore and that rivalry ended a few years ago..

oligarchy
11-22-2008, 09:01 PM
stupid fight.

Rampage / Silva makes more sense because they haven't fought against each other in the UFC and many haven't seen those fights (some people think it's their first fight).

Evan
11-22-2008, 09:07 PM
I love it!

dbreiden83080
11-22-2008, 09:26 PM
I love it!

I don't mind it, but they won't be getting 44.95 out of me to see it..

djohn14
11-22-2008, 09:30 PM
Oh, theyll get my money, however Id rather see Liddell-Silva...of the Anderson variety.

anakha
11-22-2008, 10:06 PM
Business-wise, this makes sense for the UFC.

Chuck may not get another opportunity at the LHW belt for a while, and getting him in contender status at HW stands to make the most out of his ability to generate revenue for the UFC.

Any projections on how many buys a Chuck-Brock main event would garner?

Evan
11-22-2008, 10:14 PM
Chuck and Randy don't have much left so as I have been saying...super fights are all that make sense now. Why not?

Enjoy it for what it is...2 legends going after it even in their twilight!

dbreiden83080
11-22-2008, 10:54 PM
This also goes to show you how desperate Chuck is for a big fight right now. Thinking about diving back into a rivalry that ended in his favor a few years ago and doing it at Heavyweight no less..

BlackSwordsMan
11-22-2008, 10:55 PM
Yeah HW is that bad

dbreiden83080
11-22-2008, 10:57 PM
Lets take bets on how huge Chucks Beer Belly will be at HW.. :lol

Evan
11-22-2008, 11:08 PM
This also goes to show you how desperate Chuck is for a big fight right now. Thinking about diving back into a rivalry that ended in his favor a few years ago and doing it at Heavyweight no less..

Chuck has never once asked for a fight after he got his first belt. He has let Dana or Joe Silva or his potential opponent pick his fights.

BlackSwordsMan
11-22-2008, 11:11 PM
You sure it's a beer belly?

dbreiden83080
11-22-2008, 11:15 PM
Chuck has never once asked for a fight after he got his first belt. He has let Dana or Joe Silva or his potential opponent pick his fights.

That's not my point. My point is, he no way saw himself in this position a few months back. The UFC now has to get crafty with him because he isn't what he once was and he appaears to know it, hence him considering doing this. And i don't believe for one second that Chuck does not give plenty of input on who he wants to fight. He and Dana are like BFF... Big stars always have input, always.

dbreiden83080
11-22-2008, 11:17 PM
When Chuck was champ, it was come one come all, now he has a lot to consider..

Evan
11-22-2008, 11:18 PM
Dana has said this...Chuck aid this in his book and various interviews...so they are lying?

dbreiden83080
11-22-2008, 11:21 PM
Dana has said this...Chuck aid this in his book and various interviews...so they are lying?

I'm not saying they are lying but i don't buy that he has zero input at all on his fights at this point in his career. Doesn't make sense when he is not powerhouse he once was.. With every loss his marketability goes down more..

What's up your ass tonight anyway??

dbreiden83080
11-22-2008, 11:25 PM

And Dana lies and exxagerates all the time, so what good is his word??

Evan
11-22-2008, 11:27 PM
Alright...I guess this whole thing is a grand lie along with everything up my ass.

Fair enough?

dbreiden83080
11-22-2008, 11:28 PM
Alright...I guess this whole thing is a grand lie

Not even close to what i said.. But if you believe everything the UFC feeds you, that's fine..

I'm sure the UFC just called chuck on the phone, loser of 3 of his last 4 and said move up to fight Randy and he had no thoughts on the matter whatsoever, yeah sounds real likely.. :rolleyes

Evan
11-22-2008, 11:31 PM
Not even close to what i said.. But if you believe everything the UFC feeds you, that's fine..

Alright man...I gotcha...let me pull some UFC checks out of my ass...

:tu

dbreiden83080
11-22-2008, 11:32 PM
Alright man...I gotcha...let me pull some UFC checks out of my ass...

:tu

Along with Dana's.... Well that's too much never-mind..

polandprzem
11-23-2008, 02:10 PM
Both guys had their primes
Both are losers recently
Both were ufc champions

Do we need chuck vs Randy again?

dbreiden83080
11-23-2008, 03:42 PM
Do we need chuck vs Randy again?

Not really. The fight doesn't do much for me because there is nothing really at stake. Not for a title, and as you said neither in their prime anymore. It's a very odd fight for Chuck to take if true.. He and Randy had their rivalry, it's over.

polandprzem
11-23-2008, 04:26 PM
Yes, but from the marketing standpoint?

In those two guys you have the most popular and most likable ufc fighters. It would caught an attention. I don't know if dana wants to go that direction (to make it as popular as possible). But it would not hurt I think.
Well Chuck have many opponents to fight against, but Randy well - not many. He have 2 bouts left in a contract right?

Heath Ledger
11-23-2008, 05:07 PM
I will enjoy this fight on my free pay per view.

angelbelow
11-24-2008, 05:42 AM
wow very interesting, im more interested in chuck and brock then chuck and couture.

dallaskd
11-24-2008, 07:27 PM
i don't like this. I'd rather see... i don't even know. not this. Ive already seen this and i don't want to see either take a loss.

dallaskd
11-24-2008, 07:28 PM
wow very interesting, im more interested in chuck and brock then chuck and couture.

Chuck could take Brock on the feet, but if it hits the ground... game over.

Anti.Hero
11-24-2008, 07:42 PM
UFC is going to milk this rivalry dry. Get ready.

dbreiden83080
11-24-2008, 08:45 PM

I really want to see Brock fight Mir again, Nog will probably beat him the way he takes ass kickings and still pulls out subs..

desflood
11-24-2008, 09:47 PM
UFC is going to milk this rivalry dry. Get ready.
Eh... I'm not sure it's entirely (just) the UFC. Chuck has had a few bad losses now. He wants to fight somebody he thinks he knows he can beat, and that somebody is Randy Couture. I actually think if they fight again, Randy comes out on top. They've both lost a step or two, but unlike Chuck Randy still takes care of himself and is has evolved with the sport. Liddell, not so much.

dbreiden83080
11-24-2008, 10:02 PM
Eh... I'm not sure it's entirely (just) the UFC. Chuck has had a few bad losses now. He wants to fight somebody he thinks he knows he can beat, and that somebody is Randy Couture. I actually think if they fight again, Randy comes out on top. They've both lost a step or two, but unlike Chuck Randy still takes care of himself and is has evolved with the sport. Liddell, not so much.

Exactly this is what i was disagreeing with Evan about the other day when he said "The UFC picks all Chuck's fights, he doesn't ask for anyone", that may have been true when he was the man but he isn't anymore. A year ago he never would be considering going up a weight class to fight Randy when it's not even for a title. That rivalry ended for him at 205.. But With every loss his marketability goes down more and more. He needs a win bad, and the UFC needs him to win bad because of his star power. If Chuck doesn't want to retire, the UFC needs him to not look like a shot fighter.. So obviously he and the UFC are going to pick the fight carefully..

dbreiden83080
11-24-2008, 10:13 PM
And i also don't think there is much doubt the UFC brought in Rampage expecting Chuck to avenge that loss. You know Chuck wanted that fight bad..

Sissiborgo
11-25-2008, 05:52 AM
Nice Hardcore...:fro

desflood
11-25-2008, 09:28 AM
Exactly this is what i was disagreeing with Evan about the other day when he said "The UFC picks all Chuck's fights, he doesn't ask for anyone",
I think you're probably both right on this one. Evan was right in that Chuck has always fought whoever was picked for him; he had no reason to fear (maybe that's not the right word) a fight with anyone. He probably didn't even ask for this fight, really; Dana and Chuck are buddies and Dana sees that his friend is in a bit of a bad spot right now and wants to help him out. That's where your part of the right comes in.

tlongII
11-25-2008, 09:10 PM
Rashad Evans vs Brock Lesnar

Please discuss...

dbreiden83080
11-25-2008, 10:05 PM

Please discuss...

Brock by murder. Rashad is waaaaaay to small for him. Brock would take him down and beat the shit out of him. Rashad has lousy Subs and he got out-wrestled by Tito Ortiz. The only guys that will beat Brock are big heavyweights with Subs who can take a beating like Nog. Blown up light heavies, he'll destroy them one by one..

robbie380
11-25-2008, 10:28 PM

Please discuss...

i will continue to drive this further off topic...i'd like to see lesnar v aleksander emelianenko

Anti.Hero
11-25-2008, 11:05 PM
I want Brock to get lots of wins under his belt so eventually someone can come knock off the Titan as a ridiculous underdog.

desflood
11-26-2008, 07:42 AM

Please discuss...
Haven't you trolled enough this week? :rolleyes

:lol

dallaskd
11-26-2008, 01:59 PM
i will continue to drive this further off topic...i'd like to see lesnar v aleksander emelianenko

aleks is a bad dude. I'd go with lil fedor.

dallaskd
11-26-2008, 07:14 PM
this is most likely on for ufc 99 in germany according to Sherdog.

dallaskd
11-26-2008, 07:14 PM
http://sherdog.com/news/news/ufc-99-storms-germany-15288