PDA

View Full Version : Raptors forward Marshall to Miami for Wesley Person, OR TO SPURS FOR Rose

ducks
02-22-2005, 04:11 PM
The Rumor: Raptors forward Donyell Marshall to Miami for swingman Wesley Person, forward Malik Allen and a draft pick or to San Antonio for forward Malik Rose.

The Reason: Marshall, 32, has been mentioned frequently as the next Raptor to go since the Raptors dealt Vince Carter and shifted their focus to building around Chris Bosh. Parting with Marshall would give Toronto room to sign free agents this summer. The Heat have been seeking an experienced power forward to play with Shaquille O'Neal, and the Spurs are looking to part with Rose, a regular in Gregg Popovich's dog house, and the four years remaining on his contract.

The Latest: Raptors general manager Rob Babcock told the Toronto Star that the chances of making any deal are "more like 35-65" and wouldn't trade Marshall unless "you're going to get a player who is good for your future." According to the Miami Herald, the Heat are interested in Marshall but would have to include Michael Doleac, one of Miami's key reserves, to swing a deal. Two Heat players told the newspaper that trading Doleac would be a mistake.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpYTg2ZTBwBF9TAzk1ODYxOTQ4BHNlYwN0 bQ--?slug=jl-rumors022105&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Blazer16
02-22-2005, 04:16 PM
Is this for real? I'm suprised Toronto isn't forcing Rose down Miam's throat.

FromWayDowntown
02-22-2005, 04:22 PM
I think the article is saying one of two possibilities: Marshall to Miami for Person and others OR Marshall to SA for Rose.

For the life of me, I can't figure out why Cleveland isn't trying to swing a deal for Wesley Person. I don't recall his history in CLE being a bad one (though they weren't very good when he was there). Person is a good shooter -- something Cleveland needs -- and could come fairly cheap. Cleveland has some parts that might help Miami, too. I could see reluctance given the possiblity of a playoff matchup, but still, Miami isn't using Person at all and Cleveland needs what WP brings to the table.

Extra Stout
02-22-2005, 04:26 PM
The Reason: Marshall, 32, has been mentioned frequently as the next Raptor to go since the Raptors dealt Vince Carter and shifted their focus to building around Chris Bosh. Parting with Marshall would give Toronto room to sign free agents this summer.Eh? Isn't Marshall going to be a free agent anyway? How does trading him help them at all vis-a-vis free agency?

The Heat have been seeking an experienced power forward to play with Shaquille O'Neal, and the Spurs are looking to part with Rose, a regular in Gregg Popovich's dog house, and the four years remaining on his contract.How exactly do the four years on Rose's contract help Toronto sign free agents this summer? Further, how exactly is that better than just letting free-agent-to-be Marshall walk?

Seems to me the only way Toronto would trade for Rose is if they want Rose. Where do these so-called "journalists" come up with this stuff?

FromWayDowntown
02-22-2005, 04:43 PM
Seems to me the only way Toronto would trade for Rose is if they want Rose. Where do these so-called "journalists" come up with this stuff?

Yeah, I think pretty much the only way anyone trades for Malik right now is based on a desire to retain Malik's services, unless that team believes that it can somehow unload that contract plus another in a deal for a better player.

Solid D
02-22-2005, 04:56 PM
If the Spurs were to trade Malik...they had better feel REAL good about their options in the pivot for next year (Scola, Javtokas, etc.). Otherwise...they shouldn't make this trade for Marshall.

Blazer16
02-22-2005, 04:59 PM
Sorry about confusing y'all, I meant Jalen Rose.

ducks
02-22-2005, 05:00 PM
maybe they could feel they could resign marshall(he is a fa is he not)

rc went over and talked to scola a couple of months ago I think
and was talking about a deal
scola was talkign about 3 years 6 million if I recall correctly

Extra Stout
02-22-2005, 05:01 PM
maybe they could feel they could resign marshall(he is a fa is he not)

rc went over and talked to scola a couple of months ago I think
and was talking about a deal
scola was talkign about 3 years 6 million if I recall correctlyBARGAIN. Man these Argentinians sign cheap.

Walton Buys Off Me
02-22-2005, 05:23 PM
Donyell Marshall and his expiring contract for Malik Rose?

Not even a guy that traded Vince Carter for six bags of peanuts is that stupid right? We can only hope........

xcoriate
02-22-2005, 05:32 PM
So what exactly does the Raptors get out of a deal with us....

4 years of Malik Rose at high cost....

While we shed cap....

and get a good player through till end of season.....

Well I think we'd pull the trigger on that one pretty quick, toronto, well why would they bother. Theres no advantage for them, unless there offloading Rose as well.

MannyIsGod
02-22-2005, 05:32 PM
Donyell Marshall and his expiring contract for Malik Rose?

Not even a guy that traded Vince Carter for six bags of peanuts is that stupid right? We can only hope........

It gives the Spurs nothing. Even with his contract going away, the Spurs will be over the cap.

Then again, why am I even responding to a Walton post.

ducks
02-22-2005, 05:36 PM
spurs could go over the cap signing marshall since they have his bird rights

MannyIsGod
02-22-2005, 05:40 PM
Marshall sucks though.

ducks
02-22-2005, 05:44 PM
marshall is greater then rose
atleast marshall would see the court

FromWayDowntown
02-22-2005, 05:44 PM
Sorry about confusing y'all, I meant Jalen Rose.

oh yeah, I forgot about that. Apologies for being a too much of a homer when it comes to "shoving Rose" down someone's throat.

ducks
02-22-2005, 05:46 PM
rose is kind of a bargain
but he has a long contract

smeagol
02-22-2005, 05:47 PM
It gives the Spurs nothing. Even with his contract going away, the Spurs will be over the cap.

Then again, why am I even responding to a Walton post.
Manny, how do you dare respond to the all-knowing, all-wise, "I'm the straw that stirs the drink around here" Walton? :rolleyes

ducks
02-22-2005, 05:50 PM
why the personal attacks?

smeagol
02-22-2005, 05:51 PM
why the personal attacks?
Me and Walton go way back . . . :lol

coz
02-22-2005, 05:53 PM
When was the last time one of these midseason trade rumors panned out?

ducks
02-22-2005, 05:54 PM
I see

detroit got wallace last year and they got the rings

exstatic
02-22-2005, 08:10 PM

Ah, but in three years or so, it might keep them from going over the tax threshold.

exstatic
02-22-2005, 08:10 PM
When was the last time one of these midseason trade rumors panned out?

For SA? Never.

ChumpDumper
02-22-2005, 08:14 PM
Toronto is capped out whether they let Marshall walk or not, so they'd have to want Malik as a player. That's possible when you look at the pt the Raptors bigs are getting; if they think they could get 20 steady minutes out of Malik every night, they might go for it. I wish we could get that out of Malik or any backup big man here. Toronto must feel it can do better though and probably can.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-22-2005, 09:08 PM
Toronto is capped out regardless of what happens. Here's what they have to be thinking: getting something (Rose) or just losing him for nothing this off-season.

The other factor if you're in Toronto's front office is that getting FAs to go north of the border is a pretty hard prospect. Given that, they may take a guy like Malik who could battle and hold his own in the weaker East.

Kori Ellis
02-23-2005, 11:39 AM
WITH THE NBA trade deadline just one day away, Raptors forward Donyell Marshall continues to draw major interest from around the league. Marshall has been linked to numerous trade rumours, with the Indiana Pacers reportedly showing serious interest in recent days.

A prospective deal would send Marshall and backup point guard Milt Palacio to the Pacers for Austin Croshere, James Jones and Anthony Johnson, according to a league source.

Another rumour has Marshall being shipped to Indiana for Pacers centre/forward Scot Pollard. That deal would make sense from both a player and financial perspective. Marshall, in the final year of his contract, will make $5.3 million US this season while Pollard, who has one more year left on his deal after this season, is making $5.8 million and will earn $6.2 million next year. Pollard, 30, would be an improvement over rookie Rafael Araujo in terms of rebounding and offence.

"Right now, I'd say it's probably less than 50-50 that we do something," Raptors general manager Rob Babcock said last night.

"About 90% of the stuff that's out there on the Internet is totally false. My guess would be there's more of a chance that we don't do something."

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/TorontoSun/Sports/2005/02/23/939677-sun.html

waly.mg
02-23-2005, 11:54 AM
Malik and Brown for Marshall donīt work, Toronto needs to offer one more player

TRADE DECLINED

Due to San Antonio and Toronto being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. San Antonio and Toronto had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did not happen here (only San Antonio met the condition). This trade does not satisfy the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Mark in Austin
02-23-2005, 07:18 PM
Ah, but in three years or so, it might keep them from going over the tax threshold.

Unless the threshhold is raised as part of the new agreement w/ the League and Union that is being negotiated right now.