PDA

View Full Version : 25 yrs ago- Miracle on Ice

Jimcs50
02-22-2005, 04:37 PM
My Turn: More than a miracle

Ken Morrow /
Posted: 15 hours ago

In my lifetime, I remember when we walked on the moon, when John F. Kennedy was assassinated and 9/11. The Miracle on Ice is remembered the same way — people know where they were, who they were with and what they were doing when it happened.
Every day, someone comes up to me and tells me how they spent that night watching the game against the Soviet Union. It amazes me. I've played in the Stanley Cup finals, and people don't walk up to me and ask me about those games years later. But they still ask about the game against the Russians.

Even more important than the memories of the game was the impact it had on hockey. It brought hockey to the general public and got a lot of people around the country interested in the sport.

Now it has become something passed down from parent to child. Of course, the movie Miracle also had a big impact. It feels terrific because, truthfully, you don't feel like you deserve these accolades. We were just doing what we were supposed to do.

When we got together, we thought we could win. As an athlete, you always feel you can win. We were such a young team — maybe you could say we were naive — and we didn't know any better. The pressure was really off in that famous game. They were supposed to beat us, and they were supposed to beat us pretty badly, so we were able to go out and play our game.

The game against Finland was another story. I think Herb Brooks did his greatest coaching job on the day between the Russia and Finland games. Here you've got this group of kids coming in after the huge upset. We were patting ourselves on the backs and soaking in everything. Everybody was talking about us. Herb had to get us ready for the next challenge. He got our attention really quickly. He brought us back to earth and got our minds on the next task.

I've been asked about my greatest memory of those Olympics, and it was those few hours after the Finland game. We had three or four hours before the medal ceremony, and all of our family and friends came down to the locker room. We shut the doors and had a quiet celebration with the people who were really responsible for the accomplishment — the people who had supported us, the people who had coached us. It was great.

Recently, I've seen those games through new eyes. My 7-year-old son started playing hockey a couple of years ago, and last year he began to understand that I played for Team USA. When Miracle came out, his interest was piqued, so we started watching the game tapes.

Now we go down in the basement, and I shoot rubber pucks at him. He's Jimmy Craig, he's Team USA, and we're playing against the Russians — just like I've been told guys like Pat LaFontaine, Jeremy Roenick, Billy Guerin and Mike Modano did when they were young. It's another generation of kids reliving those Games. It's my son, 25 years later. It's really cool.

Jimcs50
02-22-2005, 04:38 PM
I was studying for a test and watching the game....after the win, I could not study any longer, I was so pumped up.

ClintSquint
02-22-2005, 04:49 PM
Too bad there will be no 2005 NHL memories.

But I do remember having a major crush on Dorothy Hamill many years ago.

Jimcs50
02-22-2005, 04:51 PM
Too bad there will be no 2005 NHL memories.

But I do remember having a major crush on Dorothy Hamill many years ago.

You and every other teenager. :)

FromWayDowntown
02-22-2005, 06:35 PM
I have tapes of all the games (or what was broadcast of them) played by the U.S. in Lake Placid. It's pretty remarkable to see visual proof of a country rallying around the boys, particularly when Friday, Feb. 22, 1980 rolled around.

It's funny to watch the broadcast of the U.S./U.S.S.R. game itself because it's a definite step back in the time machine. The game itself was shown on a tape-delayed. The game was played at around 4 or 5 ET in Lake Placid, so most of the country was at work or school while it was actually being played. You get so accustomed to instant information these days that you have to tell yourself that cable was only in its infancy and the internet was still, for the most part, a figment of Al Gore's imagination.

The video is odd because Jim McKay sits in the studio, talking about how he doesn't want to tell anyone the result; but he has this grin on his face that betrays the result. More problematic to keeping the result a secret is McKay's repeated references to what a "remarkable" day it has been in Lake Placid (on the same day, Phil Mahre won the first medal in alpine skiing in some time for the U.S.). Finally, on the green screen behind McKay, ABC keeps playing footage of people in Lake Placid reveling and chanting "U.S.A., U.S.A.," again suggesting the result.

The actual broadcast is also strange because rather than just show the game and air commercials between whistles, ABC stopped its broadcast of the game for a while to show the Men's Slalom (Phil Mahre) and then went back to the game.

Obviously, much of the mythology surrounding that game has been clarified in recent years, particularly with the "Miracle" movie. The kids who played on that team were truly that and, collectively, found very little success on the ice after Lake Placid. The two longest careers among the players on that team were Neal Broten and Mike Ramsey, neither of whom starred in either the Olympics or the NHL, but were good enough to play for long stretches. Eruzione never played again after Lake Placid, though he is largely seen as the star of that team; Jim Craig was a complete bust in the NHL. Other guys had mostly middling careers and moved on fairly quickly.

I also find it interesting that some so-called experts still don't accurately portray the course of events in 1980. This morning I heard someone call the game against the Soviets the semi-final. It wasn't. It was a medal round game that gave the U.S. its second and third points in the medal round (they'd gotten the first by tying Sweden in the Olympic opener). I also heard someone call the Finland game the gold medal match, but it wasn't that. Finland didn't win a medal, mostly because it lost to the U.S. And had the U.S. lost to Finland, the Soviets would have won the gold, with the U.S. likely taking silver, and the Fins taking Bronze.