PDA

View Full Version : Remember the thread about Denver...

Solid D
02-22-2005, 04:46 PM
last year, when people in here argued until they were blue in the face :depressed over whether visiting teams playing in the Mile High City came in with a disadvantage due to acclimation to breathing at that altitude. Even tougher was having the 2nd game of a back-to-back on the road in Denver.

"These are highly tuned athletes" ...some of you argued.

"It's a figment of your immagination" others claimed.

Even coaches were quoted with varying views, with at least one coach saying that it was poppy-cock and overstated.

Well more proof supporting the notion that the altitude makes a difference with players:

AI himself. Mr. Boundless energy saying that the thin air of Denver really got to him. He was flat tired. Right there in front of a world-wide audience.

Even Manu said he felt like his lungs were so tight in his chest during the first half...then he got more accustomed to it.

To all the folks in here that were saying the Thin-Air-Excuse is lame...

APOLOGY ACCEPTED.

Jimcs50
02-22-2005, 05:08 PM
That was not me.

I go skiing a lot and I know what it takes out of you at 7-10 k feet above sea level.

You get winded running or briskly walking up a steep street, when normally you have no problem doing that.

BronxCowboy
02-22-2005, 05:34 PM
That was not me.

I go skiing a lot and I know what it takes out of you at 7-10 k feet above sea level.

You get winded running or briskly walking up a steep street, when normally you have no problem doing that.

What you're saying is true, but you're talking about two completely different things. The incline of your street has nothing to do with the low oxygen concentrations at high altitudes. But I have no disagreement with your basic premise that it's easier to get winded in Denver.

Jimcs50
02-22-2005, 07:06 PM
What you're saying is true, but you're talking about two completely different things. The incline of your street has nothing to do with the low oxygen concentrations at high altitudes. But I have no disagreement with your basic premise that it's easier to get winded in Denver.

I was not saying that it was only because of the incline, I am saying that that is the only time I notice me getting winded. I am in pretty good shape aerobically normally, so I do not get winded skiing or just walking, but I do get winded walking up a steep incline, even though I do not get winded in say, San Francisco, doing the same activity...get it?

Kori Ellis
02-22-2005, 07:09 PM
The altitude is definitely a factor there. There's a pedestrian bridge that we had to go up a flight of stairs to get to and then cross to go from the parking lot to Pepsi Center. Many people (including myself) could barely breathe while crossing it.

Slomo
02-22-2005, 07:21 PM
My experience is that you need a couple of days to get use to it for "normal" everyday activities, for intense phisycal work you need even longer.

But how about when the Nuggets go to the lower lying cities? Don't they also have an advantage because their bodies are used to the thinner air in Denver?

Hook Dem
02-22-2005, 07:37 PM
In a similar situation, people form here going to Las Vegas will notice a drying of the nose and even bleed in some cases. There is definetely a noticable difference when you go to altitude such as Denver. "Heavy breathing" does not raise eyebrows there. :lol

exstatic
02-22-2005, 08:06 PM
Why do the Nuggets suck, then? The Broncos have always used this as a psychological edge, but it's never seemed to do the Nuggets any good, in a game where you run up and down and up and down. I've been to that altitude, and seen people react differently. My mom had trouble breathing, but then she's prone to asthma. I think professional athletes who are in top shape wouldn't notice nearly as much as us normal folks. Steve Kerr said that as he remembered it, you were gassed after 3-4 minutes game time, but then got your wind again rather quickly.

Solid D
02-22-2005, 08:40 PM
Steve getting his wind again after spotting up for 3! :lol

timvp
02-22-2005, 09:43 PM
If you take Denver's NBA, NFL and NHL teams and you look at their difference between their home and road records over the last 10-15, it's drastic how much better they are at home. I saw a story on it about a year ago and its by far the biggest disparity in sports. If you remember correctly, the Nuggets were always decent at home even when they were horrible.

Having spent many summer in Red River, New Mexico and Telluride, Colorado, the altitude didn't bother me at all in Denver. But I remember the first time I tried hiking in the mountians at high elevation, it was like hiking with a plastic bag over my head.

exstatic
02-22-2005, 09:45 PM
...it was like hiking with a plastic bag over my head.

And you know this how? :lol

Useruser666
02-23-2005, 09:40 AM
LJ.......in search of a score of snow. :lol

Shelly
02-23-2005, 09:52 AM
My parents' house up in Lake Arrowhead, CA is a mile up also and I definitely get winded walking up their stairs.

Jimcs50
02-23-2005, 10:29 AM
My parents' house up in Lake Arrowhead, CA is a mile up also and I definitely get winded walking up their stairs.

Well, I got winded when I was carrying you up those stairs last Fall.

:smokin

Shelly
02-23-2005, 10:34 AM
Well, I got winded when I was carrying you up those stairs last Fall.

*Looks up Jenny Craig's phone number...*

CosmicCowboy
02-23-2005, 10:55 AM
IMHO the elevation "problem" at Denver is more in peoples heads than in the air density physics...its not like it is at "ski area" altitude...5280 feet is really not that bad...I had a condo in Crested Butte for years that was at about 7500 feet and would spend 3-4 weeks a year there...where you really start physically noticing the difference is above 8000 feet...before they built the "highline" lift we would have to hike up to the top at 12000+ to access the double diamond stuff on the headwall...now THAT was an asskicker hike...300+ feet up in snow wearing ski boots carrying skis and gear...

Jimcs50
02-23-2005, 11:01 AM
*Looks up Jenny Craig's phone number...*

Ok, I'll do her too.

Jimcs50
02-23-2005, 03:13 PM
IMHO the elevation "problem" at Denver is more in peoples heads than in the air density physics...its not like it is at "ski area" altitude...5280 feet is really not that bad...I had a condo in Crested Butte for years that was at about 7500 feet and would spend 3-4 weeks a year there...where you really start physically noticing the difference is above 8000 feet...before they built the "highline" lift we would have to hike up to the top at 12000+ to access the double diamond stuff on the headwall...now THAT was an asskicker hike...300+ feet up in snow wearing ski boots carrying skis and gear...

I could do that, and carry Shelly on my shoulders.

:)

smeagol
02-23-2005, 03:29 PM
Using a soccer analogy (which timvp is not very fond off), in the South America World Cup Qualifiers, the ten teams play against each other two games (total of 18 games); one at home, one away. Bolivia, who has only qualified once in the last twenty years, is virtually unbeatable when playing in the altitude of La Paz.

CosmicCowboy
02-23-2005, 04:33 PM
again, La Paz is at 12,000 feet, not 5280 like Denver...

timvp
02-23-2005, 04:42 PM
IMHO the elevation "problem" at Denver is more in peoples heads than in the air density physics

Uh ... how can you say it's in people's head? A lot of people who were there from out of town had to sit down and rest between the parking lot and the arena because they were out of breath. When you get out in the airport in Denver, a lot of people get light-headed right away. It's a real thing.

P.S.

12,000 feet is nothing. Try hiking up to 14,500 feet and fishing in the mouth of an extinct volcano. Now that is tough.

Shelly
02-23-2005, 04:46 PM
12,000 feet is nothing. Try hiking up to 14,500 feet and fishing in the mouth of an extinct volcano. Now that is tough.

Boy. Cubscouts was pretty demanding, huh?

timvp
02-23-2005, 04:47 PM
Oh hell yeah. Did I tell you about the time I climbed K2?

ShoogarBear
02-23-2005, 05:57 PM
Is that a euphemism?