PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys agree in principle with Bledsoe

infinite styles
02-22-2005, 08:46 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1997585

Just read on the sports tracker on espn that the Cowboys have worked out a deal with Bledsoe. Does this mean that Parcells is gonna be around for a while? Or was Jones tired of hearing about it? One thing is for sure no more Vinny.

Duff McCartney
02-22-2005, 09:55 PM
:rolleyes

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-22-2005, 10:19 PM
Hell yeah.

Duff McCartney
02-23-2005, 12:08 AM
Give me a break....Drew Bledsoe? Psssh what a waste of time.

King
02-23-2005, 01:04 AM
Give me a break....Drew Bledsoe? Psssh what a waste of time.

I'm not a fan of Bledsoe, but what's the alternative?

It's much better than Vinny. You could say Henson, but maybe he's not as good as people want him to be. Maybe he hasn't shown enough in practice to even be a viable option.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-23-2005, 01:53 AM
Bledsoe >>>>>>> Vinny.

timvp
02-23-2005, 02:52 AM
Bledsoe might be the one QB slower than Vinny. He very well may die next season with all the pounding he'll receive.

Bledsoe is not the answer. They should have done everything they could to get either Brees or Rivers out of San Diego. The Chargers won't keep both for long and will eventually have to trade. Making a panic move for Bledsoe guarantees another losing season.

usckk
02-23-2005, 04:08 AM
The Chargers are not dumb enough to unload Brees, but they are also smart enough to not give him a big contract just yet. Brees had one good year and can easily go back to his so-so years, so the Chargers put the Franchise tag on him to see what he can do this year. If he does well, they will probably try to trade him to make sure they don't just lose him in the offseason. If Brees ends up sucking, it's not a big deal because they only got him for one year.

As for the Dallas situation, they will continue to stuggle next year. Blesoe is better than Vinny, but he cannot take Dallas over the top. Henson just sucks.

IceColdBrewski
02-23-2005, 08:23 AM
Bledsoe = younger version of Vinny.

Good luck.

ducks
02-23-2005, 08:52 AM
my thoughts
I think that the cowboys should have went after phillip rivers

rivers wil be good in 2 years
and the new d help will be good in 2 years
and your running back will be good in 2 years

but tuna does not want to wait that long to win
so you therefore spend alot of your cap on him

nacho estrada
02-23-2005, 11:11 AM
Bledsoe is the other washed up, immobile quarterback that Parcells used to coach. How coincidental.

King
02-23-2005, 11:45 AM
Bledsoe might be the one QB slower than Vinny. He very well may die next season with all the pounding he'll receive.

Bledsoe is not the answer. They should have done everything they could to get either Brees or Rivers out of San Diego. The Chargers won't keep both for long and will eventually have to trade. Making a panic move for Bledsoe guarantees another losing season.

He might be less mobile than Vinny, but how many plays were made due to Vinny's mobility? I don't remember a single one. How mobile was Aikman? How mobile is any QB that isn't considered somewhat of a runner? The mobility difference of Manning to Brady to Bledsoe to Brad Johnson to Trent Green to Vinny to any pocket passer is miniscule at best. If Bledsoe is going to take a shot, then any of those guys would take the exact same shot. If they upgrade the line and give him a chance to throw, he'll be fine. If he's forced to make plays with his legs, than they're screwed. But, so is any of those teams who is forcing the QB to make plays with his legs.

Rivers? What the hell has Rivers done? He's a prospect just like Henson is. Henson was more heralded out of college than Rivers was. It's a wash, because nobody knows what either can do. Rivers would be in the exact position as Drew right now.

bigzak25
02-23-2005, 11:48 AM
good luck with bledsoe....i'm resigned to the fact that parcells himself could line up behind center and the boys would still beat my team.... :hang

Duff McCartney
02-23-2005, 12:40 PM

God damn right.

Parcells is starting to remind me of Clark Griswold in Vegas Vacation...when he goes to the Hoover Dam and causes the leaks in the walls..then he tries to plug the leaks with bubble gum.

Duff McCartney
02-23-2005, 12:42 PM
Rivers? What the hell has Rivers done? He's a prospect just like Henson is. Henson was more heralded out of college than Rivers was. It's a wash, because nobody knows what either can do. Rivers would be in the exact position as Drew right now.

I'd take Rivers over Henson any day of the week, at least Rivers played in more than 8 games in college.

maxpower
02-23-2005, 12:51 PM
How could a player be so heralded after 8 freakin games?...I am beginning to think the rest of the league is in collusion to funnel these "can't miss" prospects to the cowboys' "scouts".

Hook Dem
02-23-2005, 01:27 PM
How could a player be so heralded after 8 freakin games?...I am beginning to think the rest of the league is in collusion to funnel these "can't miss" prospects to the cowboys' "scouts".
Exactly!

King
02-23-2005, 02:22 PM

Hell if I know, but he was. Many NFL scouts were polled, and said that if Henson and Vick were available the same year in the draft, most of them would've take Henson.

Rivers tripled his stock in the senior bowl. Before that, he was somewhere in the top five QBs. Going as low as late first in some mocks.

I'd take Rivers over Henson any day of the week, at least Rivers played in more than 8 games in college.

Is that your reason? Because he played more than eight games?

Whether you like it or not, Henson put Tom Brady on the bench at Michigan those eight games, so obviously he was doing something right. You know, three-time Super Bowl winner Tom Brady.

That's why he was heralded.

timvp
02-23-2005, 04:37 PM
He might be less mobile than Vinny, but how many plays were made due to Vinny's mobility? I don't remember a single one. How mobile was Aikman? How mobile is any QB that isn't considered somewhat of a runner? The mobility difference of Manning to Brady to Bledsoe to Brad Johnson to Trent Green to Vinny to any pocket passer is miniscule at best. If Bledsoe is going to take a shot, then any of those guys would take the exact same shot. If they upgrade the line and give him a chance to throw, he'll be fine. If he's forced to make plays with his legs, than they're screwed. But, so is any of those teams who is forcing the QB to make plays with his legs.

There is a big difference between being a statue and not being too mobil. Vinny wasn't Vick, but he could move a couple steps here and there if he had to. Even with a good offensive line, Bledsoe will be sacked more than just about any QB in the league.

Hell if I know, but he was. Many NFL scouts were polled, and said that if Henson and Vick were available the same year in the draft, most of them would've take Henson.

Rivers tripled his stock in the senior bowl. Before that, he was somewhere in the top five QBs. Going as low as late first in some mocks.

I think you are talking about when GMs said they'd take Henson over David Carr. I never heard anyone say they would have taken Henson over Vick.

But besides that, Henson showed how much he loves the game by trying to go play baseball. You can't have a QB with a halfway interest in the game. If he had it his way, he'd be the third baseman on the Yankees. Not exactly the type of resume the team can rally around.

Duff McCartney
02-23-2005, 05:07 PM
Is that your reason? Because he played more than eight games?

Shit yeah.

King
02-23-2005, 05:43 PM
There is a big difference between being a statue and not being too mobil. Vinny wasn't Vick, but he could move a couple steps here and there if he had to. Even with a good offensive line, Bledsoe will be sacked more than just about any QB in the league.

NFL sacked leaders for 2004:

David Carr - 49
Daunte Culpepper - 46
Michael Vick - 46 (in 15 games)
Aaron Brooks - 41
Mark Bulger - 41 (in 14 games)
Kurt Warner - 39 (in ten games)
Tim Rattay - 37 (in nine games)
Drew Bledsoe - 37

I think we'd both agree that Culpepper, Vick, and Brooks are mobile, right? Carr's not a statue. Bulger and Rattay can move around. Warner is about there with Drew.

McNabb was sacked 32 times in 15 games, while Vinny was sacked 34 times in 16 games.

Being 'mobile' doesn't keep you from getting sacked.

Having a good OL does.

I think you are talking about when GMs said they'd take Henson over David Carr. I never heard anyone say they would have taken Henson over Vick.

No, there was an article out at about the time Henson signed with Dallas two years ago. It mentioned that NFL scouts had been polled about Henson and Vick, because they would've been in the same draft (2001) if Henson had finished eligibilty, and declared for the NFL. It was like eight out of ten that said they would have taken Henson in that draft if they were both there. I'll see if I can find the article, but I don't remember who it was by or anything.

But besides that, Henson showed how much he loves the game by trying to go play baseball. You can't have a QB with a halfway interest in the game. If he had it his way, he'd be the third baseman on the Yankees. Not exactly the type of resume the team can rally around.

I agree with you there. I don't know if Henson can be the guy more than anyone else does. I just didn't want to go into the season with Vinny again, and didn't want to go into the season banking on Henson and/or Romo defying the odds. I think that Bledsoe was the best option they had, especially with Hasselbeck resigning in Seattle. If they can get him protection (a big if) then I think Bledsoe is a servicable bridge until they know if/when Henson is going to be ready.

Shit yeah.

Then you can make a case that any QB who played nine games or more in college is a better prospect than Henson. And, if that's your logic, then there's no sense in debating.

N.Y. Johnny
02-23-2005, 05:53 PM
I always thought there was a reason Bill Bellichicken traded Drew Bledsoe to a team within his division. Perhaps he sucked, and what better job did he do than that great Last game versus the Shittsburgh Steelers 2nd and 3rd teamers in the season finale, needing a Buffalo win with the Jets losing to get into the AFC Playoffs Bledsoe goes out and lays a stinker.

Maybe Parcells can do something with him and maybe not, but I would have gone after someone younger and more mobile like Rivers out of San Diego, but whatever.