PDA

View Full Version : mcnabb overrated?

ducks
09-10-2003, 04:57 PM
Jaws on McNabb

September 10, 2003
By RON JAWORSKI

ESPN analyst and former Eagles quarterback Ron Jaworski broke down the tape of Monday night's Bucs-Eagles game. This is what he saw:

"Contrary to popular belief, plays were called down the field and there were opportunities down the field and there were times when Donovan McNabb had protection to throw the ball down the field. At times he just chose not to throw it down the field, for whatever reason.

"But if you're a wide receiver on this team and all you hear is, 'You stink. You can't get open. You need more wide receivers,' I think it must be frustrating. These guys are getting open. This is a group of pretty good receivers. They are just not getting the ball.

"When you are watching on television, you get the perspective that the Eagles aren't even looking down the field. I know this Eagles offense -- I've looked at every game on the coaches' tape since Andy Reid has been here -- and I know where the ball can go and there were numerous opportunities to get the ball down the field against Tampa Bay.

"I'm not buying the notion that these receivers can't get open. Look, I saw Billy McMullen run a 'go' route and he was 8 yards beyond the cornerback. The corner sat on the route and McMullen ran right by him. The ball wasn't delivered to him. Todd Pinkston runs a deep cross from the '3' spot -- from the right side to the left side -- and he was 20 yards in the open. 20 yards! Those are designed plays, big plays in the making and the ball was not delivered.

"On those plays, there are a myriad of things happening. In Donovan's defense, he faced a lot of duress and had to get rid of the football. But there were also opportunities when the offensive line gave him ample time to set up and throw the ball -- 3 ½ to 4 seconds, which is significant -- and the ball was not delivered.

"Tampa Bay did not spy Donovan, not once. The Bucs did not change their scheme. They never change their system. They believe in their speed. In the Super Bowl last year, receivers were open for the Raiders. Jerry Porter had a heck of a game for Oakland. He just didn't get the ball. Rich Gannon had a lot of pressure on him in the pocket and didn't deliver the football. You can't understand the speed of that defense until you play against it.

"It's not just the up-front speed with Simeon Rice, Greg Spires and Warren Sapp. The linebackers run like defensive backs. The secondary is very quick and they play with great discipline.

"Tampa Bay does not change the game plan. They mix in the blitz, they mix in the zone coverage -- they do not play as much Cover 2 as people think they play -- and they keep an offense off balance.

"Donovan has to bounce back. Every player goes through peaks and valleys and he's at a bit of a crossroads right now. It's a mental funk with him. Later in that game on Monday, he was completing the same throws he had open earlier in the game. Same throws -- square in's, deep comebacks -- they were available earlier in the game. He didn't throw those passes.

"It's not physical with Donovan because he can make every throw in the book. I think there's a certain degree of validity to say that he's been coached not to throw interceptions and to not turn the football over and that philosophy has worked. Andy Reid is as good a head coach as there is. At the same time, you miss the chance to make some big plays.

"On Sunday against New England, Donovan has a big challenge. The Patriots run a 3-4 defense, but what was shocking is that the Patriots hardly blitzed at all against Buffalo in that 31-0 loss. Now, the Bills came out and played a physical football game. They didn't spread the field. They played some smash-mouth football to take the pressure off of Drew Bledsoe. Last year, the Patriots hammered Bledsoe. This year, they changed.

"So on Sunday, McNabb has to be adaptable. He has to play with confidence. I don't know what the game plan will be, but the Eagles have to execute and score some points. With all of these injuries on defense, the offense has to take a leading role and win the game."
ouch (http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/homeNewsDetail.jsp?id=3955)

MickeyOnFox
09-11-2003, 11:10 AM
Even though You dont like me?
I will respond to your topic.

McNabb is far from Overated,
and any fool that uses Game one as a mesuring stick is not
worthy of my reading time.
you put Mc nabb in dallas with Randy moss ?
you will see magic.

he is On the wrong team.
and His coaches blew Game one.
maybe after the eagles win 7 straight?
these cheesey McNabb Bashers will leave ..

Until then? keep in Mind Even Johnny unitas had Bad games

ducks
09-11-2003, 04:47 PM
pm me

people rate him in the same class as elway, joe, and young. and clearly he is not in that catergory.

MickeyOnFox
09-12-2003, 03:56 PM
well those guys are veteran QB's

mc nabb is still new.
Look how everyone thought Warner was the next Joe Montana.

Look at manning his rookie card was 1,800.00
back in 1998 then he had a sucky season.
aikman unitas nameth Montana elway all have bad years,
all iam saying is it is to early to talk about how good he is
or how he sucks in my book.
and I would take him over many qb's out there.
he has running skills and is big,
plus he can toss the ball.
look at it this way?

If he was on the cowboys Would more folks be saying
they might go 8 and 8?

I am not saying he is da Bomb.
I am just saying I will wait till 7 more Games before i
bash or Glaze him to Death

T Park Num 9
09-14-2003, 10:21 PM
If Warner wouldve gotten the protection that Bulger got in the second half today, then everyone would be talking about how Warner is the same old warner and blah blah blah.

I think McNabb doesnt have good recievers to work with.

IcemanCometh
09-15-2003, 04:55 AM
warner could have all the protection in the world, it doesn't matter if he can't hold onto the ball or if he falls alseep back there

ducks
09-24-2003, 02:39 PM
soem on fox today last week said he was playign like a freaking rookie:smokin2

Jimcs50
09-24-2003, 07:24 PM
I happen to think that his Campbell's soup commercials are not overrated, they are pretty good.