PDA

View Full Version : Margarito unhappy with $2M offer, passes on Mosley fight

DannyT
11-23-2008, 06:41 AM
By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com

Welterweight titleholder Antonio Margarito has passed on a proposed Jan. 24 HBO fight against former champ Shane Mosley, Top Rank's Todd duBoef told ESPN.com Wednesday.

"We're not doing the Mosley fight," said DuBoef, whose company promotes Margarito. "I got an email from the managers [Sergio Diaz and Francisco Espinoza] saying that they are passing on the fight. They want to evaluate other situations that may be more lucrative."

Top Rank and Mosley promoter Golden Boy had agreed to a 50-50 deal, Mosley had made his deal with his promoter and HBO had agreed on the deal points with the promoters. However, Margarito was unhappy with the $2 million offer Top Rank made him and declined the fight as he faced Tuesday's deadline for a decision.

Margarito stopped Miguel Cotto on July 26 in a tremendous action battle that generated 450,000 pay-per-view buys. Top Rank is planning a summer rematch and duBoef said that while he hadn't spoken in detail with Margarito's managers about the decision yet to pass on Mosley as an interim fight, he thought Margarito was more interested in the rematch with Cotto "rather than fighting a guy Cotto already beat. I think their feeling is that Mosley was a big name several years and isn't a big draw and why should I have to split things with him 50-50?"

DuBoef said Margarito's decision means he may be idle until the proposed summer rematch with Cotto.

Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer was not happy about the decision.

"Margarito talked and talked and talked and as soon as Shane accepted, he was all of a sudden very quiet, and now he doesn't want the fight," he said. "Margarito always says he's the most feared fighter in the world. He should shut up about that now."

Schaefer said he'll focus on making a match for Mosley with titleholder Andre Berto instead.

The Mosleys weren't happy about Margarito's decision either. Jin Mosley, Shane's wife, sent a text message to ESPN.com mocking Margarito: "Reward for missing Margarito. Anybody with information leading to the whereabouts of Antonio Margarito will be awarded two tickets and a free hotel room" to Mosley's next fight.

Purple & Gold
11-23-2008, 12:27 PM
$2M is insulting to Margarito

MrChug
11-23-2008, 12:53 PM
$2M is insulting to Margarito

It's a bitch slap in the face...he's one of the best fighters pound4pound. If that little faggot Paulie Malinaggi got a whole MILLION for trying to get intimate with Ricky Hatton last night and then crying (literally) after it was stopped, then Antonio should expect the big purse.

Margherito is the fighter on top right now, not Shane.

Whisky Dog
11-23-2008, 01:31 PM
Why would Margarito want to fight that washed up has been Mosely? No legitimate reason.

If they did fight, why would Margarito not command at least 65%?

dbreiden83080
11-23-2008, 04:10 PM
If they did fight, why would Margarito not command at least 65%?

Because Shane is still a big name. Oscar will get much more money than Manny will on his own, Mayweather was desperate to fight Oscar because he couldn't get that big pay-day without him, Margarito is still building his name up..

Whisky Dog
11-23-2008, 05:54 PM
Shane is a has been name. He doesnt command big PPV buys anymore, and Margarito is the title holder with something to lose. A big payday rematch with Cotto is much more lucrative.

dbreiden83080
11-23-2008, 06:44 PM
Shane is a has been name. He doesnt command big PPV buys anymore, and Margarito is the title holder with something to lose. A big payday rematch with Cotto is much more lucrative.

Shane alone against someone who is not as well known would command more buys than Maragarito against someone nobody has ever heard of. He is just not there yet with the public. He is building himself up, another Cotto fight will help but he is not there with someone like Shane yet. Too many big fights, that made him a legend under his belt..

SAtoDallas
11-24-2008, 09:44 AM
Funny thing is that Mosley turned a fight down with him about a year and a half to 2 yrs ago around the same time Mayweather turned down 8 mil to fight him.

MrChug
11-24-2008, 10:35 AM
db's right...it's like when anything that Arturo Gatti would turn to gold, or like Oscar De La Hoya still does. Example: Pacquiao is recognized as the best fighter in the world. He might (I say might because the weight division they're fighting in might heavily favor DLH) completely destroy Oscar. If Oscer were to be anyone else-Juan Manuel Marquez, for instance, the money for this fight would be a joke and it might even be a RISK to put it on PPV even though Pac would be facing a more formidable opponent.

Even Mike Tyson drew PPV waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy after he declined into nothing.

DannyT
11-24-2008, 10:44 AM
yeah only cause the cats was going crazy in the ring...and as sick as we are we always wanted to see what Mike was gonna do next...

dbreiden83080
11-24-2008, 12:15 PM
Even Mike Tyson drew PPV waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy after he declined into nothing.

Oh GOD, Mike Tyson in the current state he is in now would draw more PPV buys against some drunken hobo off the street than either of the Klitschko brothers would fighting a top ranked contender.

I actually think this is a bad move on Margaritos part. Yeah 2 mil is not great although that is actually still more than what most huge MMA stars make but he is buliding his legend up. Mosley while not in his prime anymore is still a big name. the Cotto rematch is not going anywhere. He beats Shane and Cotto again and the much bigger consistant pay-days will be right around the corner..

Obviously 2 mil is about as much as he is going to make right now until the Cotto re-match. So take it and keep winning..

SAtoDallas
11-24-2008, 04:41 PM
I just think that in his opinion, Mosley was offered this to fight him a few years ago. In Mosley's opinion the fight was all risk and little reward, and now Margarito beat Cotto handily so now he has name recognition so Mosley wants to fight. For Mosley he sees 2 mil to get beat by Margarito or he can fight Andre Berto a young up and comer with little name recognition and even less money to offer. I think Margarito will take the fight if the purse is 60/40 or better but not 50/50.

IronMexican
11-24-2008, 05:18 PM
Margarito would fuck up Mosley. He would fuck up anyone in his weight class.

spursnatic
11-24-2008, 05:20 PM
Margarito is a FUCKING PUSSY!!!:lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt2::flag:

DannyT
11-24-2008, 11:49 PM
I wouldnt say he is a fucking pussy as much as you can say that theres some thought he could lose to Shane in his camp. They dont want to take a chance on this being the last title fight that they have so they want to get paid in case they do lose. But I like Margarito he's a beast:ihit

T_MONEY_TX
11-25-2008, 02:24 PM
This fight is on!

mexicanjunior
11-25-2008, 06:25 PM
Margerito would pick Shane apart. Mosley just doesn't have the speed and defensive quickness to avoid the barrage of punches Antonio would throw. I think Shane would keep it close for about 4-5 rounds but, eventually, Margerito would break him down with body punches and constant pressure, very similiar to how Cotto beat Shane.

If Margerito really wants to fight the best, he would fight Paul Williams again and prove the first fight was a fluke. I doubt he will do it though...

SAtoDallas
11-26-2008, 01:32 PM
http://maxboxing.com/Kim/Kim112508.asp