ducks
11-23-2008, 03:16 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081123/ap_on_re_as/as_afghanistan

ChumpDumper
11-23-2008, 03:17 PM
Good.

boutons_
11-23-2008, 03:34 PM
I read that Gates wants +20K troop surge.

The US military kicking ass and keeping the lid on a political pressure cooker never works. Even the US generals says the only solutions are political, not military.

I also read that the Karzai's govt isn't worth a drop of US blood.

What's the objective for Afghanistan, never mind how to achieve it?

Elections coming up in 2009, but they won't fix the corrupt, ineffective govt of Kabul.

N. Kristof says his friends in Pakistan say that country is at real risk of coming apart.

I'm sure the right-wing, lying hate-media will blame Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, AND the US-provoked world-wide economic crisis exclusively on Obama.

ie, right-wing polarizing, divisive, demagogic hate politics first, put the country, well, fuck it.

Winehole23
11-23-2008, 04:51 PM
I read that Gates wants +20K troop surge.

The US military kicking ass and keeping the lid on a political pressure cooker never works. Even the US generals says the only solutions are political, not military.Remember when Bill Frist said this back in 2006? Everyone thought he was insane to suggest talks with the Taliban. Now, we may be forced to do so from a considerably weaker position.

What's the objective for Afghanistan, never mind how to achieve it?I have wondered this for a long time. I haven't heard a a single good answer. What is the strategy, and what national interest is at stake here? Is the objective clear? Is the game worth the candle?

Is the objective acheivable? Do we have enough force deployed to make it happen?

Is there an exit plan, or again, do we have our dicks caught in a crack?

N. Kristof says his friends in Pakistan say that country is at real risk of coming apart.It already has. Large portions of the country are already under Taliban control. Karzai is referred to derisively in his own country as the "mayor of Kabul."

The most we can hope for from an escalation in Afghanistan is slightly more favorable terms at the parley.

Afghanistan is the graveyard of empires. Let's don't let it be ours. We've killed enough Arabs already. Bring em home.

ChumpDumper
11-23-2008, 04:59 PM
Afghanis are not Arabs. The percentage of Arabs living in Afghanistan is in the low single digits.

Winehole23
11-23-2008, 05:03 PM
Afghanis are not Arabs. The percentage of Arabs living in Afghanistan is in the low single digits.I appreciate the correction. Any thoughts on the rest of the post, or will you rest content to pick nits?

ChumpDumper
11-23-2008, 05:05 PM
I'm content to pick nits. That's a big misunderstanding.

Winehole23
11-23-2008, 05:06 PM
I'm content to pick nits. That's a big misunderstanding.Not at all. I appreciate your candor.