PDA

View Full Version : is parker going to re-sign?

AceProfits
11-23-2008, 05:09 PM
Is Tony going to sign with us after this contract or is he going to seek fame elsewhere out of this small market?

Tony Parker in 2-3 years at his peek will be a superstar 24 ppg, 7 apg.

Kori Ellis
11-23-2008, 05:14 PM
I'm not sure how much more fame he could want. He's pretty famous ;)

Anyway, he's said repeatedly that he wants to stay in San Antonio but anything can happen.

xellos88330
11-23-2008, 05:15 PM
I think Tony has enough fame. Married Eva Longoria so he gets to attend all sorts of red carpet events complete with paparazzi, and has the country of France behind him. Made french rap cd's and was in a movie I believe (French movie). So I don't think playing for a small market team would bother him much.

DPG21920
11-23-2008, 06:02 PM
I am sure it depends on the same two things as every other free agent: how good is the team when he needs a new contract and how much do they offer.

Allanon
11-23-2008, 06:12 PM
Spurs success and Duncan will determine if he stays or goes.

Duncan's extended 1 year extra. If Duncan thinks he can go another 3 years, I'm pretty sure Tony will stay. But if Timmy tells Tony that he's gonna hang up his Addidas after the contract, then Tony might reconsider.

I know that Timmy and Tony are close but I don't know much about the relationship between Manu/Tony.

However, if the Spurs land some nice draft picks and the ball seems to be rolling, I think Tony would be happy to stay as the Man as long as the team is winning.

So I think Tony's future is determined first by Duncan/Manu and then RC/Pop

duncan228
11-23-2008, 06:14 PM
I think Duncan will hang them up at the end of his current contract. I assume it will be Parker's team by that point.

boutons_
11-23-2008, 06:34 PM
If Pop is retired then, I think Tony will be open to suggestions.

Brazil
11-23-2008, 07:12 PM
If Pop is retired then, I think Tony will be open to suggestions.

I agree on that point I think that the future of Tony is more linked to Pop than Tim.

duncan228
11-23-2008, 07:14 PM
It's probably a safe bet that when Duncan retires, so does Pop.

Dex
11-23-2008, 07:16 PM
I thought Eva wanted to settle down in Texas and raise a family, though.

Parker gets plenty of coverage, even in this small market. He's got another country across the pond swooning over his every footstep, and probably numerous advertising deals over there that we're not even real privy to. He's also got his face on the cover of NBA Live 09.

Not to mention that he has also married into the fame and money associated with Eva Longoria. Something tells me that the Parker/Longoria bank account doesn't look too shabby. So I don't really worry about Parker leaving for advertising dollars, and the Spurs would be foolish to offer him far less than another team.

Maybe I'm in the minority with the glass half full approach, but I think at some point this organization has to work with Tony, just like they did with Tim, to fit him into the future plans. Make him realize that he can, and very possibly will, be the number one option and future of this franchise after Tim. It's hard to present a much better playing opportunity than taking over the reigns of one of the best sports franchises of this era.

Then there's the ethics of the situation. I'm pretty sure Tony loves San Antonio. He loves the Spurs, he loves Pop, and he loves Duncan. Even if they were no longer going out to battle with him, I'd like to think that Parker would shoulder the responsibility of making sure the success of this franchise continues. Parker seems like a pretty humble and loyal guy, and I'd guess that he'd prefer to retire a Spur and see his jersey in the rafters some day.

The only way I see Tony going somewhere else is if the Spurs fail to give him the proper attention in the market. And I can't see any way they'd make that blunder. He's already making a much larger chunk than Manu after his last resign.

AFBlue
11-23-2008, 07:20 PM
WTF is up with all these threads about two or three years down the road?

The Spurs and Spurs' fans have Tony Parker through the prime of his career and have a very good shot at retaining him into his 30's when he's a solid bet to continue being productive.

Stop asking about 3 or 4 years from now and ENJOY NOW!

Dex
11-23-2008, 07:26 PM

The Spurs and Spurs' fans have Tony Parker through the prime of his career and have a very good shot at retaining him into his 30's when he's a solid bet to continue being productive.

Yeah, WTF are we doing discussing the Spurs on a Spurs Discussion Forum?

:loser

Brazil
11-23-2008, 07:26 PM
I thought Eva wanted to settle down in Texas and raise a family, though.

Parker gets plenty of coverage, even in this small market. He's got another country across the pond swooning over his every footstep, and probably numerous advertising deals over there that we're not even real privy to. He's also got his face on the cover of NBA Live 09.

Not to mention that he has also married into the fame and money associated with Eva Longoria. Something tells me that the Parker/Longoria bank account doesn't look too shabby. So I don't really worry about Parker leaving for advertising dollars, and the Spurs would be foolish to offer him far less than another team.

Maybe I'm in the minority with the glass half full approach, but I think at some point this organization has to work with Tony, just like they did with Tim, to fit him into the future plans. Make him realize that he can, and very possibly will, be the number one option and future of this franchise after Tim. It's hard to present a much better playing opportunity than taking over the reigns of one of the best sports franchises of this era.

Then there's the ethics of the situation. I'm pretty sure Tony loves San Antonio. He loves the Spurs, he loves Pop, and he loves Duncan. Even if they were no longer going out to battle with him, I'd like to think that Parker would shoulder the responsibility of making sure the success of this franchise continues. Parker seems like a pretty humble and loyal guy, and I'd guess that he'd prefer to retire a Spur and see his jersey in the rafters some day.

The only way I see Tony going somewhere else is if the Spurs fail to give him the proper attention in the market. And I can't see any way they'd make that blunder. He's already making a much larger chunk than Manu after his last resign.

In the Tony friendships we always forget to mention Bruce, Bruce is a very good friend of TP : Bruce has played a lot in France and TP used to see Bruce when he played for Evreux ! By the way at that time Bruce scoring was pretty good around 20/25 ppg.:lol

If Tony feels that he can be the next franchise player of the San Antonio Spurs, he wil stay, it would be huge for him to be the next one after David and Tim. Unfortunately I have the feeling that everything is linked to the retirement of Pop and Pop will retire with Tim.

ShoogarBear
11-23-2008, 07:39 PM
I know that Timmy and Tony are close but I don't know much about the relationship between Manu/Tony.

Manu and Tony pretty much hate each other. Tim's the only calming influence that keeps them from each other's throats. Once Duncan retires, then either Tony or Manu will have to go.

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-23-2008, 07:40 PM
Manu and Tony pretty much hate each other. Tim's the only calming influence that keeps them from each other's throats. Once Duncan retires, then either Tony or Manu will have to go.

:tu

Brazil
11-23-2008, 07:43 PM

I really don't think that Manu and Tony hate each other, there is a huge respect between them.

Allanon
11-23-2008, 07:47 PM

Hey, is this a fact? I've never see Tony and Manu together chillin together but I didn't think they had anything AGAINST each other.

Any reason for a dislike or is it more of they just don't hang out together and are co-workers and that's it?

angelbelow
11-23-2008, 07:53 PM
tony will stay, not only is he loyal but eva is from SA.

Magic_Johnson
11-23-2008, 07:59 PM
Hey, is this a fact? I've never see Tony and Manu together chillin together but I didn't think they had anything AGAINST each other.

Any reason for a dislike or is it more of they just don't hang out together and are co-workers and that's it?

they both have huge ego and want to be the 2nd option.

timaios
11-23-2008, 08:04 PM

Sarcasm.
Come on Allanon, you're better than that.

ShoogarBear
11-23-2008, 08:04 PM

No, it's well known they pretty much despise each other.

Oh . . . wait, no, I was thinking about Kobe and Shaq. Sorry, my bad.

Dex
11-23-2008, 08:28 PM

So speaketh thy word of the Church or Manu. :lol

AFBlue
11-23-2008, 08:55 PM
Yeah, WTF are we doing discussing the Spurs on a Spurs Discussion Forum?

:loser

No need for namecalling....though it was technically an emoticon. :lol

It's just this thread, combined with the two or three about 2010, pushed me over the edge.

Discuss whatever the hell you want.

FWIW, I think 2010 has as much to do with the last years of Tony's contract as it does with Duncan's. If the Spurs can get a long-term impact player (Bosh, Aldridge, Gay, Joe Johnson, etc.), Tony is virtually a lock to stay.

Allanon
11-23-2008, 09:00 PM
Sarcasm.
Come on Allanon, you're better than that.

Hahah, sorry Mark Jackson I got taken by that one...I thought it was for real :bang :bang

m33p0
11-23-2008, 09:05 PM

i echo this sentiment.

MarHill
11-23-2008, 09:15 PM

Amen AF Blue!!!

Why is everyone writing about the future? This is still the Golden Age of the Spurs and as a fan I want to enjoy every moment for the next 2-3 years.

I'm thinking about the future just like everyone else...but enjoy the moment because when change comes it will be different.

Lets focus our energies to see what this team can do to win number 5 this season!!

:flag:

:lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt: :lobt:(it's time for five!!!!!)

Go For Tree
11-23-2008, 11:05 PM
tony will stay, not only is he loyal but eva is from SA.

negative ghost rider......

Go For Tree
11-23-2008, 11:06 PM

no

The Truth #6
11-23-2008, 11:10 PM
Why even worry about this right now? This season has enough suspense as it is.

Destro
11-23-2008, 11:13 PM
Tony will chase fame somewhere, he'll want to be paired up with another superstar in a bigger market. He wants to be MJ

ducks
11-23-2008, 11:35 PM
Is Tony going to sign with us after this contract or is he going to seek fame elsewhere out of this small market?

Tony Parker in 2-3 years at his peek will be a superstar 24 ppg, 7 apg.

most spur fans think the spurs are better without him
if I am him I leave

Udokafan05
11-23-2008, 11:51 PM
Hopefully he has a good relationship with coach bud, who should be the next spurs coach, and not avery

DUNCANownsKOBE2
11-24-2008, 12:13 AM
You guys are forgetting a key factor in the equation: George Hill. It all depends on how he develops....if Pop sees a Tony Parker with better defense and a thicker frame then they probably will let Parker go. With that said, Popovich has been very tough on Parker over the years and has built a very strong relationship with him, George Hill will have to show A LOT of promise if Pop and RC let Parker go to hand the PG position to him.

Not a whole lot of players are tough enough to play through what Pop put Parker through, which means they won't take any chances with replacing him when they don't need to.

ulosturedge
11-24-2008, 12:44 AM
Parker was rewarded a fat contract when he signed his last extension with the Spurs. He also lived up to that pay raise too though. He makes more then Ginobili(not by much but he does). The contract we need to unload is Bruce Bowens. He looks like he's losing a step with his age. Well I dunno if its that or everyone else is growing much more athletic these days. As long as the Spurs are staying in contention I think he's staying though. But you have to wonder how things might change if Hill keeps maturing as a basketball player.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
11-24-2008, 12:57 AM
Parker was rewarded a fat contract when he signed his last extension with the Spurs. He also lived up to that pay raise too though. He makes more then Ginobili(not by much but he does). The contract we need to unload is Bruce Bowens. He looks like he's losing a step with his age. Well I dunno if its that or everyone else is growing much more athletic these days. As long as the Spurs are staying in contention I think he's staying though. But you have to wonder how things might change if Hill keeps maturing as a basketball player.

It all depends, if he stays for the right price they'll keep him, whenever RC thinks a players' value is not good based off of the contract he is requiring, he always lets him go, no matter what. I might be a Suns fan but I know a thing or 2 :toast

AFBlue
11-24-2008, 05:01 PM
You guys are forgetting a key factor in the equation: George Hill. It all depends on how he develops....if Pop sees a Tony Parker with better defense and a thicker frame then they probably will let Parker go. With that said, Popovich has been very tough on Parker over the years and has built a very strong relationship with him, George Hill will have to show A LOT of promise if Pop and RC let Parker go to hand the PG position to him.

Not a whole lot of players are tough enough to play through what Pop put Parker through, which means they won't take any chances with replacing him when they don't need to.

Parker is an all-star and Finals MVP who has raised his game each year he's been in the league. Even if George Hill ends up being Devin Harris (probably his ceiling), you don't just give up on Tony Parker.

It's Parker that will need the incentive to stay, not the Spurs who will need incentive to keep him.

Bambililos
11-24-2008, 05:34 PM
Tony always said he loves the Spurs and would like to finish his career there, but that it's not a lock. It will essentially depend on Tim, Pop and the chances the Spurs have to win it all with Tony being eventually the franchise player (money may have a word to say in it too, but he doesn't talk about it).
However, he also said that if things didn't work, he wouldn't mind playing in another team, and he mentionned the Lakers (ugh, please don't)...
I really hope everything will be made for him to stay in SA.

Brazil
11-24-2008, 06:42 PM
Tony always said he loves the Spurs and would like to finish his career there, but that it's not a lock. It will essentially depend on Tim, Pop and the chances the Spurs have to win it all with Tony being eventually the franchise player (money may have a word to say in it too, but he doesn't talk about it).
However, he also said that if things didn't work, he wouldn't mind playing in another team, and he mentionned the Lakers (ugh, please don't)...
I really hope everything will be made for him to stay in SA.

Please not the lakers, nnnnnooooooooooooooo

stéphane
11-24-2008, 06:49 PM
If Duncan plans to hang out it'll be a big blow but the worst could be if pop, as he states, retires at the same time.
Some of you are downplaying the influence of coach Pop for this player.

Brazil
11-24-2008, 06:53 PM
exactly the TP destiny is not linked to TD but Pop

Allanon
11-24-2008, 07:20 PM
However, he also said that if things didn't work, he wouldn't mind playing in another team, and he mentioned the Lakers

The Tony Parker/Eva/Hollywood connection does make some sense.

Farmar+Ariza or Odom for Tony Parker sounds good to me. Or maybe Tony for Pau straight up.

Lakers would finally have a bad-ass point guard (first one since Magic although Van Exel was pretty good).

50 cent
11-24-2008, 07:33 PM
If I were Tony, I'd leave.

He gets way too much shit from fucking retarded ass Spurs fans who don't appreciate having a top 5 PG that think he has some vendetta against their hobbled hero.

If I were Tony, I'd already be telling Kobe to get ready.

Also, Pop has already said many times that he is hanging it up the second Timmy decides to retire so Pop isn't going to be around to talk him into anything.

Tony is on the first Via bus out of town when his contract is up IMO, and frankly, Spurs fans deserve a good decade or 2 of PG hell again.

Obstructed_View
11-24-2008, 07:36 PM
Resign from what?

Anti.Hero
11-24-2008, 07:40 PM
I guarantee Parker will leave when Duncan is not here anymore.

Magic_Johnson
11-24-2008, 07:42 PM

this summer, he was speaking of going to the east if it's not possible to stay with the spurs. He mentioned the knicks (if they suck less).

jcrod
11-24-2008, 08:00 PM

I wouldn't make that bet. If he likes to coach, he'll like the challenge to build something new.

timaios
11-24-2008, 11:58 PM
Tony stays with Pop, Duncan & Manu.
Tony stays with Pop & Duncan.
Tony stays with Pop.
If Pop retires, then TP leaves the Spurs.

PURO SAN ANTO 210!
11-25-2008, 12:15 AM
Whut U Talkin Bout Manu N Tony Hate Each Otha I Don Think So. Shit They're Winnin Championship's Together. I Don Think They Hate Each Otha!