PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Popovich 'Not Sure' When Ginobili Will Make His Debut

duncan228
11-23-2008, 11:22 PM
Popovich 'not sure' when Ginobili will make his debut (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Popovich_not_sure_when_Ginobili_will_make_his_debu t.html)
By Jeff McDonald

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — Injured Spurs guard Manu Ginobili successfully endured another practice Sunday, hours before the team's charter plane departed for Memphis.

Yet he appears no closer to realizing what has become a pipe dream of making his season debut tonight against the Grizzlies.

Asked about Ginobili's availability after the workout, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich repeated more or less the same line he'd given two days earlier.

“He's getting more and more ready every day,” Popovich said. “Exactly when he plays, I'm not sure.”

Ginobili, who has yet to play this season while recovering from offseason surgery on his left ankle, said earlier this week he would lobby Popovich to let him suit up against Memphis. His pleas seem to have fallen on deaf ears.

Meanwhile, point guard Tony Parker continued his recovery from a sprained left ankle, joining the team for some light shooting. Popovich said Parker, too, is improving rapidly, but gave no timetable for his return.

When Parker was first injured on Nov. 7, the Spurs put his recuperation time at four weeks. That schedule would have him back the first week of December.

Popovich said he was satisfied with how the Spurs have responded since losing a second All-Star guard to the injured list. They are 5-2 in the seven games since Parker went down.

“It's a situation where every team gets injuries, and you have to continue to perform as best you can,” Popovich said. “We've done a decent job. Could have been better, could have been worse.”

Feeling for a friend: Popovich said Sunday his thoughts were with former assistant P.J. Carlesimo, who was fired Saturday as Oklahoma City's head coach.

“It's always difficult when somebody gets fired, especially when it's a great guy like P.J.,” Popovich said. “You feel for him.”

Carlesimo, who served on Popovich's bench from 2002-03 to 2006-07, had the Thunder off to a 1-12 start this season. In Seattle last season, the then-SuperSonics went 20-62 in the first year of Carlesimo's reign.

Shooting for more: The Spurs don't expect to shoot the ball tonight quite as well as they did the last time out. In Friday's 119-94 victory over the Utah Jazz, they made 51.9 percent of their shots, a season-high 15 of 25 3-pointers, and set a season scoring high for four quarters.

Even though the Spurs don't anticipate duplicating those numbers, it won't hurt to try.

timvp
11-23-2008, 11:25 PM
I got a weird vibe from how Pop answered that question. He's usually more direct about players who are absolutely not ready. From how Pop answered the Manu questions, I actually wouldn't be too surprised to see Manu suit up tomorrow.

byrdman31
11-23-2008, 11:32 PM
I got a weird vibe from how Pop answered that question. He's usually more direct about players who are absolutely not ready. From how Pop answered the Manu questions, I actually wouldn't be too surprised to see Manu suit up tomorrow.

im with you :downspin:

maybe not tomorrow but i think wed at least suits up

xellos88330
11-24-2008, 12:50 AM
I think Pop is just sick of answering that question. Would be hilarious if Manu suits up, throws an inbounds and then Pop calls a timeout to get him off the floor just to fuck with people.

I would!!! :hat

tp2021
11-24-2008, 01:14 AM
I think Pop is just sick of answering that question. Would be hilarious if Manu suits up, throws an inbounds and then Pop calls a timeout to get him off the floor just to fuck with people.

I would!!! :hathttp://img185.imageshack.us/img185/7400/pophacksbh2.gif

Bruno
11-24-2008, 11:07 AM
Meanwhile, point guard Tony Parker continued his recovery from a sprained left ankle, joining the team for some light shooting. Popovich said Parker, too, is improving rapidly, but gave no timetable for his return.

Parker gave a timetable in a french newspaper for his return few days ago (on nov 20th). The best case was one week and the worst case was two weeks.

If you look at Spurs schedule, the best case is Parker still missing two games and being back on Nov 28th against Memphis. The worst case is Parker missing 5 games and being back on December 4th against Denver.

Dex
11-24-2008, 11:12 AM
“He's getting more and more ready every day,” Popovich said. “Exactly when he plays, I'm not sure.”

Doesn't necessarily sound like a no to me.

Especially not from Pop.

m33p0
11-24-2008, 12:08 PM
it actually sounds to me that he is going to play Manu.

wildbill2u
11-24-2008, 01:14 PM
Given the fact that we're 5-2 without Ginobilli and Parker, and we're not playing the Lakers or one of the best teams, I'd like to see Pop keep him out another game or two for safety's sake.

Dex
11-24-2008, 01:20 PM
Given the fact that we're 5-2 without Ginobilli and Parker, and we're not playing the Lakers or one of the best teams, I'd like to see Pop keep him out another game or two for safety's sake.

Like I said in another post, I could see Pop holding Manu out against Memphis on Monday and Chicago on Wednesday, since they're definitely not the strongest teams on the schedule.

I'd like to see him come back on Friday in the second Memphis game to start getting a little rhythm. Then hopefully he'll be in the works once we hit the tougher chunk of this schedule.

Trainwreck2100
11-24-2008, 01:43 PM

you can't start up a car after it's been sitting in the garage for 3 months and expect peak performance, you need to let it warm up

CubanMustGo
11-24-2008, 01:48 PM
Pop is sure. Manu plays tonight.

November 24, 2008
Jeff McDonald: Manu will play tonight
MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- Even Spurs coach Gregg Popovich agrees: Manu Ginobili is ready to play.

The Spurs guard, who missed the team's first 12 games while recovering from September ankle surgery, will make his season debut tonight at Memphis, Popovich confirmed after this morning's shootaround.

It was welcome news for Ginobili, who last week had targeted this very game for his return.

"It's great to hear," Ginobili said. "It's been enough time."

Late last week, Popovich seemed poised to deny Ginobili's request for playing time in Memphis, saying Ginobili would play "when he's ready." Ginobili participated in several 5-on-5 scrimmages last week, apparently showing enough to convince Popovich he was, indeed, ready.

It isn't clear how many minutes Ginobili might earn against the Grizzlies, buts it almost certainly won't be many. Though he and Popovich haven't discussed a plan, Ginobili said he will be surprised to play more than 10 or 12.

Every minute of game experience helps, he said.

"I'm going to be out of shape, a little slower," said Ginobili. "But those are things you only get from playing. I feel like it works better for me getting 10 minutes of playing time than (spending) 20 minutes on a treadmill."

One sign it could take Ginobili a while to fully regain his groove: He lost a post-practice game of H-O-R-S-E to Blake Ahearn this morning.

benefactor
11-24-2008, 01:50 PM
Like I said in another post, I could see Pop holding Manu out against Memphis on Monday and Chicago on Wednesday, since they're definitely not the strongest teams on the schedule.

I'd like to see him come back on Friday in the second Memphis game to start getting a little rhythm. Then hopefully he'll be in the works once we hit the tougher chunk of this schedule.
Yeah...I am feeling Friday too. He will probably play 15ish minutes in that game and the Houston game. After that he will have 2 days off before Detroit comes to town. Seems like an ideal situation.

duncan228
11-24-2008, 01:50 PM

timvp with the Pop-speak. :smokin

benefactor
11-24-2008, 01:52 PM
Well, looks like I was wrong...in a good way. :) :tu

benefactor
11-24-2008, 01:54 PM
timvp with the Pop-speak. :smokin
I haven't been here that long...but from what I have seen its kinda scary how timvp is on the level with Pop.

duncan228
11-24-2008, 01:58 PM
I haven't been here that long...but from what I have seen its kinda scary how timvp is on the level with Pop.

IMHO, timvp has some of the best knowledge of this team, from Pop to bottom. His takes on the game, seen all over the board but best demonstrated in his 'Game Thoughts', are better than anything I read national or local. We're lucky to have him.

timvp
11-24-2008, 02:08 PM

Props to the Pop decoder ring I got in a Cracker Jack box :hat

tp2021
11-24-2008, 02:21 PM
IMHO, timvp has some of the best knowledge of this team, from Pop to bottom.

I see what you did there.

JUUOT
11-24-2008, 02:22 PM
IMHO, timvp has some of the best knowledge of this team, from Pop to bottom. His takes on the game, seen all over the board but best demonstrated in his 'Game Thoughts', are better than anything I read national or local. We're lucky to have him.

timvp definitly rocks big time. I don't post anymore but i come pretty much everyday to read his stuff. If i had time i would translate the game thoughts for french fans, it is a shame they miss it!

Manufan909
11-24-2008, 02:29 PM
Props to the Pop decoder ring I got in a Cracker Jack box :hat

:downspin:

Can't wait to see Manu!!!

polandprzem
11-24-2008, 02:33 PM

Well, Pop this season is a bit different.
We will see.

maybe he just invented a new answer for that kind of questions.
He will play when he will be ready
-when he will be ready Pop?
- When he will be playing

haha

tlongII
11-24-2008, 02:44 PM
I don't think he's ready. He needs more time.

Dex
11-24-2008, 03:02 PM
I don't think he's ready. He needs more time.

Oden wouldn't appreciate you talking like that. :nope

Obstructed_View
11-24-2008, 07:06 PM
Hmmm. If I were a bettin' man, I might not be surprised to see Manu in uniform tonight.

In addition, "I feel for him" means "I hope he finds a job somewhere".

PeterBurns
11-24-2008, 07:08 PM

Yet again....I give you the prophet TIMVP....Soothsayer of Spurs Wisdom