PDA

View Full Version : 69-yo Bill Synder returning to K-State

CubanMustGo
11-24-2008, 12:28 AM
I guess they figure if 81-yo JoePa can coach Penn State, Synder's a young-un ...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3722069

Former Kansas State coach Bill Snyder will return to coach the program and will be introduced at a news conference on Monday, sources said Sunday.

Snyder will return to the Wildcats after three years away. Snyder, who is 69 years old, compiled a 136-68-1 record at Kansas State from 1989-2005. He replaces Ron Prince, who finished with a 5-7 record this season and 17-20 overall in three seasons with the Wildcats.

A news conference is scheduled for 10 a.m. CT on Monday.

A source indicated to The Wichita (Kan.) Eagle that Snyder would be given a five-year contract worth $1.8 million per season.

Snyder originally arrived at Kansas State in 1989 after serving on Hayden Fry's staff at Iowa as quarterbacks coach. His team started with a 1-10 record during the first season. But he turned the program around with a winning record by his third season.

Snyder was one of the nation's most successful coaches from 1993 through 2003, leading the Wildcats to at least nine victories in eight straight seasons and 10 times during that 11-season span. Snyder led the Wildcats to at least 10 victories seven times during his tenure -- the only time that has ever happened in school history.

He led the Wildcats to 11 straight bowl appearances from 1993-2003.

The turnaround caught the attention of people across college football.

Former Oklahoma coach Barry Switzer has stated that he was as impressed with Snyder's work as any in recent college history. "Hell," Switzer said. "He's not the coach of the year or the coach of the decade. Bill is the coach of the century."

Snyder holds the Kansas State record for coaching victories and has the fourth-best winning percentage (.666).

Kansas State's football stadium was named in his honor in on Nov. 16, 2005. He will have the unique honor of coaching in a stadium named after himself -- believed to be the only active FBS coach with that honor.

Snyder was on the cutting edge of sports marketing, introducing the school's famed Power Cat logo shortly after his arrival at the school. It helped signify his vision that the attitude of the school's athletic department was changing.

Snyder's son, Sean, a former All-American punter with the Wildcats, served as the director of football operations on Prince's staff. It's unclear if he will rejoin his father on his coaching staff.

Snyder is a 1962 graduate of William Jewell College, where he played defensive back from 1959-62. He also received an M.A. at Eastern New Mexico University in 1965.

After his retirement from football coaching, he served as a special assistant to the Kansas State athletic director. He's also been active in raising funds for Kansas State's library.

MajorMike
11-24-2008, 09:23 AM
I think it is an awful move on his part. If he pulls it off, more power to him, but all I believe he is going to succeed in is soiling his great legacy.

j-6
11-24-2008, 10:18 AM
I think it is an awful move on his part. If he pulls it off, more power to him, but all I believe he is going to succeed in is soiling his great legacy.

Do people think any less of Joe Gibbs? He's the best coach in their program's history and he wants the job. I'm not real big on old timers trying to relate to 18 year old kids but I wish him luck. I liked all those juco-driven teams from the late 90's - early 00's.

K-State Spur
11-24-2008, 10:27 AM
the success/failure of this will depend solely on his ability to assemble a quality staff/heir apparent.

at least the days of KSU getting outsmarted at the top are done. most of the DCs around this conference won't be glad to see him back.

MajorMike
11-24-2008, 10:49 AM
Do people think any less of Joe Gibbs? He's the best coach in their program's history and he wants the job. I'm not real big on old timers trying to relate to 18 year old kids but I wish him luck. I liked all those juco-driven teams from the late 90's - early 00's.

Well, my wife is as big as Skins fan as any you will find. She worshiped Coach Gibbs, she even sort of followed his NASCAR teams because he was Coach Gibbs. She was extremely sad about the way his 2nd coming turned out.

Me? Yes, I think it tarnished his legacy a bit. I certainly will remember the 2 time outs against Buffalo that cost them the game as fact that the game had simply past him by.

I do wish him luck, I have mucho respect for the man. He took the worst football program in college football history and made a winner, perhaps even juggernaut of them. He molded several of the best HCs in the game today. He did it honorably and did it clean. I just don't know what he has to gain by coming back, other than $.

K-State Spur
11-24-2008, 12:09 PM

I will point out that those teams being "juco-driven" was a bit a myth. The vast majority of KSU's top players during that era were 4 year guys and jucos were typically used to fill in the blanks and add depth (with a few exceptions, i.e. Michael Bishop, Quincy Morgan, Jeff Kelly).

It could be argued that once KSU began to NEED it's JC recruits to make an impact (as opposed those guys just being gravy on an already solid squad) was when the program began to turn for the worst.

dallaskd
11-24-2008, 07:38 PM
Coach is back! I honestly don't think this can hurt him and it can only be better for the program. but seriously fuck the juco bullshit.

any news where prince might land?

j-6
11-24-2008, 07:56 PM
I will point out that those teams being "juco-driven" was a bit a myth. The vast majority of KSU's top players during that era were 4 year guys and jucos were typically used to fill in the blanks and add depth (with a few exceptions, i.e. Michael Bishop, Quincy Morgan, Jeff Kelly).

It could be argued that once KSU began to NEED it's JC recruits to make an impact (as opposed those guys just being gravy on an already solid squad) was when the program began to turn for the worst.

Hmmm, thanks for the breakdown. That was the knock on him from us other B12'ers - that he cherry picked juco's and inserted them in his system flawlessly. But I don't see the problem with not being a name program and figuring out how to compete with the big boys utilizing every resource available. In fact, it should be commended.

Has he had any hands-on experience with the program since he hung up his whistle? The article talked about fundraising and whatnot. Hopefully a resource like Snyder wasn't wasted.

K-State Spur
11-24-2008, 10:39 PM
Hmmm, thanks for the breakdown. That was the knock on him from us other B12'ers - that he cherry picked juco's and inserted them in his system flawlessly. But I don't see the problem with not being a name program and figuring out how to compete with the big boys utilizing every resource available. In fact, it should be commended.

Has he had any hands-on experience with the program since he hung up his whistle? The article talked about fundraising and whatnot. Hopefully a resource like Snyder wasn't wasted.

Supposedly, he took detailed notes during every game and sent them to Prince afterward. That's telling in two ways: 1) it shows how it was going to be virtually impossible for Prince to get out of his shadow, it was a lose-lose situation from day 1. 2) but on the positive side, he's familiar with this roster and never really put the headset down, so to speak.